When will SSE be finished?

Expo_Seeker40

This is not a criticism, this is a complement....you know its another day at wdwmagic and another SSE thread when merf, me, jedimaster, epcot explorer, disney anole, the mom, wannab, lee, and sometimes corrus are in the SSE threads or at least watching them. :lol:

I wuv u guys :eek:

DisneyAnole

Its still in soft openings, right? So... concievably by the time it "opens" in February, it would be done.

Besides... isn't this christmas time, with enormous crowds due in within a week? Doesn't Epcot need the additional ORHC with the demand? Wouldn't everyone be super P.O'd if SSE was closed over Christmas? Seems pretty logical to think that it's been opened without all the finishing touches on it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It always amazes me that a park dedicated to the future has so many of its fans stuck in the past.

But that's the irony of EPCOT! The attractions from 25 years ago are more futuristic than what we have today....There is barely anything futuristic about Test Track, Nemo, Soarin', or the new, refurb'd SSE ending.

Mission:Space is a bit futuristic but could be done much better IMO.

jakeman

Who says the past was a bad thing?:rolleyes:
The past is fine, just not in Epcot.

Just as long as you don't confuse fans stuck in the past with fans who are bothered by the diminishing amount of future in the park.
Warrented, factual criticism is fine, but lamenting the loss of attractions from almost a decade ago or nitpicking 10% of a refurb because the ride didn't regress the way you hoped are two different things.

I am all for open debate based on facts to support opinion. Debate based on emotion and conspiracy (sp? lol) theory is frustrating at best.

But that's the irony of EPCOT! The attractions from 25 years ago are more futuristic than what we have today....There is barely anything futuristic about Test Track, Nemo, Soarin', or the new, refurb'd SSE ending.

Mission:Space is a bit futuristic but could be done much better IMO.
They may have been futuristic, but would they be accurate today? Epoct tries to hit a moving target and while I agree that their current approach is more near future or present, I can see the postive side of the "exploring" aspect that transcends both the past a present version of the park.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
They may have been futuristic, but would they be accurate today? Epoct tries to hit a moving target and while I agree that their current approach is more near future or present, I can see the postive side of the "exploring" aspect that transcends both the past a present version of the park.

Then they need to stop referring to it as "Future" world and call it "Exploration World" or something

The problem isn't that 25 years ago isn't relavent to today, it's that the world as a whole seems to have lost focus on the ideas of the future that Epcot showed us. Also Disney itself lost focus and decided it wasn't worth the effort to consult those visionaries who created the first Epcot attractions and instead went for the less impressive thrills and copies of rides meant for other parks

RSoxNo1

Without sounding like the ultimate Epcot Center nostalgia fanboy, it seems that the bulk of the people complaining are the fans of the classic Spaceship Earth than wouldn't a simple solution be to put the song Tomorrow's Child in the descent, perhaps with a few screens that show the old iPod esque images and be done with it?

The emotions that the song illicits doesn't really coincide with the playfullness of the on-board screens, but at the same time I think that would appease both groups of people.

wannab@dis

I was hoping the ride would progress, not regress.
The ride progressed... but a certain few fans (?) can't.

These types of threads with the same posters lamenting the "past" as "better" always cracks me up. The park IS progressing and it's working within a society that is progressing. The problem is NOT the park, it's those few fans that can't let go of their nostalgic yearnings to accept the progression.

imagineer boy

Then my comment wasn't directed to you. The addition of Tomorrow's Child and wishing elements of older version/attractions seems like a definate regression to me.

But those were certainly better then than the current stuff now. That seems like a definate regression to me.

imagineer boy

These types of threads with the same posters lamenting the "past" as "better" always cracks me up. The park IS progressing and it's working within a society that is progressing. The problem is NOT the park, it's those few fans that can't let go of their nostalgic yearnings to accept the progression.

Yes, the parks are progressing... but in a very sucky fashion.

DisneyAnole

Totally agree. When can we get the Jetson's overlay of Mission: Space. Strike that---make it a Wall-E overlay.

And what attractions reflect social progress? Or are you just saying that the park is generally progressing? I mean, because any change is technically progress...

jakeman

Yes, the parks are progressing... but in a very sucky fashion.
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I disagree, and unless you can present your arguement with hard facts other than solely your opinion then this falls into the type of frustrating discussion I mentioned early.

Emotions can't be debated. The application of facts to support or deconstruct an arguement can.

From my personal perspective, I do not see the change as positive or negative either way. I see it as an update to the technology addressed in the ride. I am very much "meh" about the whole SSE change, and it is the same level of "meh" I was before the refurb.

Unless either of us (each side of the arguement) can come to the table with facts, we should probably just keep our opinions to ourselves.

Figment571

This is not a criticism, this is a complement....you know its another day at wdwmagic and another SSE thread when merf, me, jedimaster, epcot explorer, disney anole, the mom, wannab, lee, and sometimes corrus are in the SSE threads or at least watching them. :lol:

I wuv u guys :eek:

Hey! What about me?

imagineer boy

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I disagree, and unless you can present your arguement with hard facts other than solely your opinion then this falls into the type of frustrating discussion I mentioned early.

Emotions can't be debated. The application of facts to support or deconstruct an arguement can.

From my personal perspective, I do not see the change as positive or negative either way. I see it as an update to the technology addressed in the ride. I am very much "meh" about the whole SSE change, and it is the same level of "meh" I was before the refurb.

Unless either of us (each side of the arguement) can come to the table with facts, we should probably just keep our opinions to ourselves.

I don't know if we can ever know true public reaction to a change at Disney since Disney never releases those stats. Although, fan reaction to anything is relatively similar to public reaction in many cases. Spiderman fans hated Spiderman 3, the general public hated spiderman 3. Batman fans loved Batman Begins, the general public loved batman begins. The list goes on and on. I mean, the fans are a part of the general public right? They just have a better atttention span to a certain thing, but they still are a part of the general public, therefor they share the general opinion. Name me one thing the fans of a certain thing hated, but the public liked or vice versa.

jakeman

I don't know if we can ever know true public reaction to a change at Disney since Disney never releases those stats. Although, fan reaction to anything is relatively similar to public reaction in many cases. Spiderman fans hated Spiderman 3, the general public hated spiderman 3. Batman fans loved Batman Begins, the general public loved batman begins. The list goes on and on. I mean, the fans are a part of the general public right? They just have a better atttention span to a certain thing, but they still are a part of the general public, therefor they share the general opinion. Name me one thing the fans of a certain thing hated, but the public liked or vice versa.
So what I'm hearing you say is that as long as you are a fan of something, you hold the ultimate opinion of what it should be?

Star Wars: Episode I, fans hated it, #5 top grossing movie of all time.

I'll even take your word that fans hated Spiderman 3, #15 top grossing movie of all time.

I am a Transformers fan, I didn't care for the movie. Therefore according to your logic that means the general public did not care for it. #19 top grossing movies of all time.

So I will reiterate my point, when we can have a discussion with facts and not emotions or assumptions then there is room to disagree, until then its just opinions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom