When was your first trip to Disney?

sweetpee_1993

Magic Kingdom 1971. I was 2. I remember staying at the Contemporary. My parents wanted to stay at the "Polynesian", but there were no rooms available. I remember the "sky ride", 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ( I was scared to death), Pirates ( I was also scared to death of the cannons), Haunted Mansion ( scared of the wolf howling, but loved the hitch-hiking ghosts), the train, and my favorite It's a Small World!
Didn't go again until 1983 Freshman Year Band Trip. I don't really remember much of that trip. Then only went to EPCOT for the year 2000 celebration ( loved Tapestry of Nations Parade). Went again in 2007, Christmas trip whole family w/ my Mom & Dad ( boys were 3) stayed at All Star Music Suite. I was hooked! We've been every year since then! I hope we can go this year 2014 to celebrate the boys' 10th Birthday, and my 45th!:joyfull:
Amazing to think about it but back in the day there were times you had to get on a list to get a room at the Poly or Contemporary! I used to be afraid of lots of little things like you. And I still love IASW. I can admit that with my head held high. As a little girl I was dazzled by all the beautiful dancing and singing dollies. I dreamed of hopping out of my boat to go play. As an almost 40 yro little girl I still feel the exact same way! ;)

First trip was early 1976. I was not yet 2. We stayed with my great grandmother in her retirement mobile home community in nearby Clermont according to my Gramma. :D

BradyJacobs

1987 for the 15th year celebration. My brother won a cool battery powered electric visor that would light up. Disney was giving prizes away every 15 seconds to guests coming into the parks. I remember some guy immediately coming up to him and offering $50 for it, but he said no.

sweetpee_1993

1987 for the 15th year celebration. My brother won a cool battery powered electric visor that would light up. Disney was giving prizes away every 15 seconds to guests coming into the parks. I remember some guy immediately coming up to him and offering $50 for it, but he said no.
We were seasonal pass holders during that time. They gave away a car (maybe 2?) every day. I was 12/13 at the time. Imagine the daydreams my sibs and I had of possibly winning a CAR?! LOL!

Fletch

1991 on my honeymoon I was 28. DW went once when she was a kid.

Could have went in 1980 with family but I was like bah! No thanks. Thought it was uncool so I decided to stay behind. Mistake on my part ? No. I would not have appreciated the detail, beauty and what the parks had to offer.

steamboatjosh

1998. I was 11. I had always loved Disney movies and cartoons but my first trip to WDW is when I really fell in love with Disney. It's also when Walt Disney became my biggest inspiration and when I decided to become a film-maker/screenwriter. It's been my dream ever since. I've always had a huge imagination and been a good writer but every time I take a trip to a Disney park it fuels my imagination and creativity like nothing else in the world. I can't wait for this upcoming trip!

I've been to Disneyland just this past year but I haven't been to WDW since 1999. Miss it a lot.

Mrs.Toad

First trip and stayed at Hilton. It was very nice. Cute restaurant and I remember a carousel horse motif. But I was a kid, so I can't remember that much. We knew nothing. Not even that WDW had resort hotels. Nothing. It was a different time without technology…So we were so ready to go back for 1988. We loved WDW so much.

1988 was a very different experience. The ultimate and we now knew how to get around.

We go to a different travel agent this time and the guys says. "Trust me. When you go this summer, a new place is opening. Brand new, stay at the Floridian." Well, to my little, unjaded eyes, and being a big old classic movie, girly girl, even at a young age, I and my family were FLOORED. There is nothing like driving up to that place for the first time being a kid. That is a little girl's dream hotel. Sorry Eloise! Entering that Main House…or having a nice, friendly cast member give you the tour with the golf cart. I was so excited! I was so girly, when they took me to afternoon tea, I was so excited I almost burst.

I will forever have a special love for that place. It is why I miss the little details that have changed sometimes. Well, everywhere in WDW. I miss Narcoossee's gator dip for crying out loud. My Dad was upset when they got rid of the glass yards of ale, because there were problems due to stupid-acting visitors. Sometimes it is the small touches and tiny details that we miss most.

And does anyone remember the quality and the fun themed menus the GF Cafe used to have? The food was out of this world! They still have killer French onion soup, but things have changed. The very first place I ever had it and I fell in love with it.

The "Cajun theme" was the best. The "Floribbean" was pretty good too. Then it just became standard and hasn't changed much.

Sorry, got a bit nostalgic over the thread.

Tres Vegas

2009 as a single Dad with two young boys, 10 and 7rs of age. was a huge hurtle to pull this trip off from So. Cal. but we had such an amazing time. Once we stepped off the plane in San Diego I know somehow we had to go back someday and by more work and chance we were able to return in Summer 2012 and I had surprised my boys with not only another WDW trip but also a Disney Cruise to the Bahamas since I've never done one, wow that was an amazing trip. Both trips were amazing and I hope to be able to return again someday. I would love a Disney Cruise to Alaska first though. : )

kbmum

My first trip was July 1976. We had a great time, but it wasn't as good as it should have been. My parents used a travel agent in our town to book the flight and a room at the Contemporary. One month before the trip, she told my dad that we didn't have our room reservation. She admitted that she didn't book it because Disney didn't allow travel agents to earn a commission on the room rental. My parents were furious and cancelled the trip with her company, then rebooked the flight and room through someone else. Unfortunately, the Contemporary and Polynesian were fully booked and we had to stay at a small Marriott a ways from the Magic Kingdom that had so-so shuttle service to the park. Still, I'll never forget that sense of wonder and marvel at the rides and theming, unlike anything we had ever seen before.

Despite the rough start, we've been a Disney family ever since!

For me, now being 19, I can remember my parents first taking me and my sister when I was 10 years old.

Back then, I thought it was a cool trip and nothing else. Is it weird that I find each trip, starting 2 trips ago, that it's more than a vacation? I feel like it really is magical and I always look forward to returning every single time!

zero creativity

Thanksgiving 1988. Was 11 years old and stayed off site. My sister was 14 and hated it. My mom wanted to do all central Florida stuff. Sea World, a place called Boardwalk and Baseball, my sister complained enough and we went to the movies and the mall. We saw what I think is the worst movie ever, Fresh Horses. This summer I am going again for the 9th time.

drp4video

My first trip was to Disneyland in 1956 when I was 3. My first trip to Walt Disney world was in 1975 when I was a little older.

mf1972

Mine was in mid-May 1989, and I was 5 years old. I went with my mom and grandmother. We stayed at the Grand Floridian. I don't remember it, but I'm sure it was fun :)

I think mine was 1979 or 1980 with my sister & parents. I was around 7-8. don't remember much. went back in 89, & in 2000 (honeymoon). been going every year since.

papa

Mine was in mid-May 1989, and I was 5 years old. I went with my mom and grandmother. We stayed at the Grand Floridian. I don't remember it, but I'm sure it was fun :)

My first trip was April 1986. I went with my wife and 4 children and drove an rv from Massachusetts. Stayed at Fort Wilderness. Loved every minute.:joyfull::joyfull:

MRGEFF

October 1973 for us. Our honeymoon, there were only 2 Disney owned hotels at the time (Contemporary and Poly). We stayed at the Royal Plaza which is over by DTD. A 2 day ticket to the park( ONLY the MK at the time ) cost $10.75.

20,000 Leagues
Mr. Toad
Swan boats
Main Street Cinema
Flight to the Moon
If you had wings
Skyway to Tomorrowland
Mike Fink keel boats
The Mickey Mouse Revue , just to name a few oldies but goodies

We still have a B Ticket coupon and the last page the of the booklet. We now go 2 or 3 times a year. Our last visit October 2013 for our 40th anniversary and the next is coming up April 2014.:happy::joyfull::happy::joyfull::happy::joyfull:

WDWVolFan

Oddly enough, I asked my mum this question a few months ago. She "dropped the bomb" that I may have been conceived at the Polynesian. I was like, "EWWWWW, MOM!" and "Oh my gosh, that explains EVERYTHING!" simultaneously.

Hopefully your Mom didn't have the theme of It's a Small World in her head while you were conceived...lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom