When did the Polynesian get so expensive?

BoarderPhreak

Poly was always "expensive." Consider that off-property hotels along route 192 (the main drag in the day) were an absolute steal. We usually stayed at the Holiday Inn West Gate or later, a friend's hotel (The Viking Motel). In the 70-80s, my parents always wanted to stay at the Poly but considered it "too expensive" (we stayed for a week or more at a time). If only we had... Stay at the Poly during its original heyday, at rates never to be seen again (adjusting for inflation notwithstanding).

Back then, nobody had a credit card. It was cash or American Express Traveller's Cheques (how they got their start).

The Mom

Premium Member
Poly was always "expensive." Consider that off-property hotels along route 192 (the main drag in the day) were an absolute steal. We usually stayed at the Holiday Inn West Gate or later, a friend's hotel (The Viking Motel). In the 70-80s, my parents always wanted to stay at the Poly but considered it "too expensive" (we stayed for a week or more at a time). If only we had... Stay at the Poly during its original heyday, at rates never to be seen again (adjusting for inflation notwithstanding).

Back then, nobody had a credit card. It was cash or American Express Traveller's Cheques (how they got their start).

Your experience may vary. My mother, current husband, and I all had a credit card in the 70s. Granted, they didn't have very high limits - except for my husband. But I definitely had one with a high enough limit (over $1500) to cover a WDW trip in the 80s.

But, we all banked with an "employer" bank (old RI Hospital Trust) which was one of the earliest to allow direct deposit. So if we had a good employment/banking history we were given a credit card.

BoarderPhreak

Your experience may vary. My mother, current husband, and I all had a credit card in the 70s. Granted, they didn't have very high limits - except for my husband. But I definitely had one with a high enough limit (over $1500) to cover a WDW trip in the 80s.

But, we all banked with an "employer" bank (old RI Hospital Trust) which was one of the earliest to allow direct deposit. So if we had a good employment/banking history we were given a credit card.
Yeah, I should've said "most people didn't have credit cards." They've been around for quite a while at that point though.

The use of credit cards originated in the United States during the 1920s, when individual firms, such as oil companies and hotel chains, began issuing them to customers for purchases made at company outlets. The first universal credit card, which could be used at a variety of establishments, was introduced by the Diners’ Club, Inc., in 1950. Another major card of this type, known as a travel and entertainment card, was established by the American Express Company in 1958. Under this system, the credit card company charges its cardholders an annual fee and bills them on a periodic basis—usually monthly.

Khcuttin

I realize that the Polynesian has always been near the top of deluxe resorts in regards to pricing, but it seems like the prices have become insane. I was searching a bunch of different weeks for March 2020 and all of the standard rooms are going for over $550 and that's with the 10% discount. It's actually cheaper to stay at the Grand Floridian, than the Polynesian. It has always been my favorite resort on Disney's property, but I'm afraid I can't afford it anymore.

Khcuttin

It certainly is expensive, but...what we do, for example...in 12 days we are spending 3 nights at Pop and 3 nights at Polynesian. Even Pop was 255 a night!! And that's with my pass holder discount! Poly was 750 a night, but I have a Lagoon view room. December is always going to be expensive, but maybe do what we are...split stays. It definitely helps!!!

Minthorne

I know!! Look for Dec 13th through the 25th....the prices are insane

I'm staying in a DVC Boardwalk view studio 12/13 - 12/21. Counting just the cost of my maintenance fees on the points (not any buy-in cost) it is $110.24 a night (no added tax or fee). I could never do the trips I do paying even discounted regular room rates nowadays, they have gone up dramatically over the last 10 years.

Khcuttin

I'm staying in a DVC Boardwalk view studio 12/13 - 12/21. Counting just the cost of my maintenance fees on the points (not any buy-in cost) it is $110.24 a night (no added tax or fee). I could never do the trips I do paying even discounted regular room rates nowadays, they have gone up dramatically over the last 10 years.
Disney has been after me for years to buy the DVC, but my issue is that I go ALL the time. We are annual pass holders because it is MUCH cheaper that way. December will make over 42 days we went just THIS year. We always stay on property, and almost always stay at a moderate resort, so the cost of the DVC just doesn't make financial sense to me. I can never wrap my head around the cost of the points versus how often we go. Its usually just me and my 12 year old son that go also, so it is much cheaper overall to take these trips. I want to be a DVC member, but I would need a ton of points, lol. What can I say..I LOVE Disney!!

Jedi Stitch

I still use a travel agent, and pay upfront for the trip. The Poly was our next big trip stay location. Now.....We are not sure.

Khcuttin

I still use a travel agent, and pay upfront for the trip. The Poly was our next big trip stay location. Now.....We are not sure.
Trust me, its not often we stay at a Deluxe, and I do think that the price versus the resort is warranted, but like all things in life...ya just gotta splurge every once in awhile, lol!! Im sacrificing 3 nights at Pop for my stay at the Poly because I can't justify spending THAT much a night for the week. I did a split stay, somehow in my "Disney mind" it makes more sense!! Lol.

Khcuttin

Trust me, its not often we stay at a Deluxe, and I do think that the price versus the resort is warranted, but like all things in life...ya just gotta splurge every once in awhile, lol!! Im sacrificing 3 nights at Pop for my stay at the Poly because I can't justify spending THAT much a night for the week. I did a split stay, somehow in my "Disney mind" it makes more sense!! Lol.
Oops, let me make a correction....the price versus the resort ISNT warranted. Sorry about that

ParentsOf4

Disney has been after me for years to buy the DVC, but my issue is that I go ALL the time. We are annual pass holders because it is MUCH cheaper that way. December will make over 42 days we went just THIS year. We always stay on property, and almost always stay at a moderate resort, so the cost of the DVC just doesn't make financial sense to me. I can never wrap my head around the cost of the points versus how often we go. Its usually just me and my 12 year old son that go also, so it is much cheaper overall to take these trips. I want to be a DVC member, but I would need a ton of points, lol. What can I say..I LOVE Disney!!
You're right not to buy into DVC at current prices.

Between the purchase price, required DVC points per night, and annual Maintenance Fee, it's 20-to-30 years to reach the break-even point (i.e. the point at which DVC stays cost less than paying cash).

Since you're satisfied with Moderate Resorts stays, the break-even is even further out.

If you are not already a DVC member, become a member because it makes you happy, not because you think you're going to save money.

RobWDW1971

That is such a bizarre concept to me now as I desperately search for deals on a trip 5 months out.

Now it is actually the other extreme, with hotel chains dumping their unsold wholesale inventory you can quite often book day of or next day at the best rates on last-minute apps. I use apps like Hotel Tonight and just book the day of or next day when I travel and always get a great deal, even near DL or WDW. You obviously have less choices and it's non-refundable, but the deals are often fantastic (and it adds a thrill of the unknown to the adventure). YMMV

drizgirl

That is such a bizarre concept to me now as I desperately search for deals on a trip 5 months out.
I haven't run the figures but I'm guessing the rate was much more reasonable back then. Now they're priced like Kohl's where you ahve to have the discount to make it realistic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom