When did the Polynesian get so expensive?

PeterGriffin

Original Poster
I realize that the Polynesian has always been near the top of deluxe resorts in regards to pricing, but it seems like the prices have become insane. I was searching a bunch of different weeks for March 2020 and all of the standard rooms are going for over $550 and that's with the 10% discount. It's actually cheaper to stay at the Grand Floridian, than the Polynesian. It has always been my favorite resort on Disney's property, but I'm afraid I can't afford it anymore.

Lilofan

I realize that the Polynesian has always been near the top of deluxe resorts in regards to pricing, but it seems like the prices have become insane. I was searching a bunch of different weeks for March 2020 and all of the standard rooms are going for over $550 and that's with the 10% discount. It's actually cheaper to stay at the Grand Floridian, than the Polynesian. It has always been my favorite resort on Disney's property, but I'm afraid I can't afford it anymore.
And the Poly bungalows on the water are going for $1K or more a night including feeding the alligators outside your room.

The_Jobu

Can't say '71 but in '79 booked thru AAA for $75/night for 4 days on honeymoon. Great time had what seemed to be a private beach. Still have room card and 4 day ticket book with an A ticket in it yet we didn't use. Cost $17.50

Did you pay up front to AAA? I'm guessing it was cheque?

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Did you pay up front to AAA? I'm guessing it was cheque?
And do you remember travelers cheques? I do! 😄
Anyway, I believe this is how you pay at Poly nowadays:
gold-bar-500x500-jpg-500x500.jpg

correcaminos

I want to say our stay in 1986 was in the $100-130 range. We have the receipt somewhere. In 2000, no discounts the concierge lagoon view was right around $500 a night. If it weren't for DVC we likely wouldn't stay there due to the jumps that happened a few years ago. I looked up our bungalow stay and rack rates were $3k a night.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fascinating.

I think it's important to record the little details like this before they become lost.

Nowdays, its very odd to imagine paying full price up front.
I remember as recently as the early 90s booking my room package over the phone. I think they charged you half up front and you had an option to either pay over the phone with a CC or receive a bill in the mail and pay with a check. All confirmations came in the regular mail. Not everyone had e-mail yet. We also used travelers checks while on the trip. You could cash them in at the hotel desk or use at restaurants. Only had a CC for emergencies.

TP2000

How did people book the Poly in 1971? Phone ahead? Pay in cash?

Mysteries.

You went downtown and talked to your Travel Agent, who booked it all for you. That process went through at least the early 1990's, although in the 90's I vaguely remember calling a 1-800-WDISNEY number and doing it my damn self a few times.

I agree about the pricing. The Poly had always been my go-to hotel for WDW trips, but no longer. It's just too expensive for the mediocre service and amenities you get, and I can't justify it in my brain any longer. And since I'm now completely enamored with the Marriott Bonvoy program after my SPG awards transferred over last year, I will be headed to the Ritz-Carlton instead.

Hcalvert

Poly can still be affordable. I just booked through DVC (renting someone's points) for my January trip and paid $240 a night. I've never paid more than $310/night to stay there ($310 was during peak time). Poly is our preferred DVC due to the extra shower and the teen-sized pull down murphy bed. We booked DVC for our March trip and have Poly again---but still paid under $300/night, which is comparable to the moderate-pricing (with an AP discount) since it is during Spring Break.

RobWDW1971

You went downtown and talked to your Travel Agent, who booked it all for you. That process went through at least the early 1990's, although in the 90's I vaguely remember calling a 1-800-WDISNEY number and doing it my damn self a few times.
Exactly - your travel agent was your key to travel back then. I vividly remember going to my local AAA office, sitting at the nice woman’s desk, and having her take me through brochures of the various resorts and booking a “vacation package” and getting my travelers checks. Your travel package with your paper airline tickets (in triplicate), itineraries, and hotel vouchers was like a a three pound notebook of vacation excitement.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom