When did the Polynesian get so expensive?

Animaniac93-98

I agree about the pricing. The Poly had always been my go-to hotel for WDW trips, but no longer. It's just too expensive for the mediocre service and amenities you get, and I can't justify it in my brain any longer.

We went to Kona Cafe 3 weeks ago, and while it was a good meal, it dawned on me that Poly would probably not worth staying at.

After that lunch we went to Trader Sam's, about 15 minutes after it opened, and there was already a 90 minute wait for a table!

Could you imagine paying $500 a night or more to stay at a hotel and you can't even get a table at the bar or restaurant like 'Ohana because it's full of people who are mostly staying somewhere else for far less? I'm totally guilty of this, but Disney's way of doing business gives you no advantage if you're staying here vs Pop Century or Port Orleans. If you want to shop, watch the luau or fireworks from the beach, you don't have to be staying here to do those either.

They got rid of the arcade and child care centre. If you want to work out or visit the spa, you have to walk or take the monorail over to Grand Floridian, a different hotel you could be staying at for less. Like some other on-site hotels the only specific benefit to staying at Poly are the rooms themselves, and the pool. Both are nice, but not worth the current asking price.

Polynesian is a nice looking hotel that's enjoyable to visit to see a piece of 70s WDW history, but maybe not worth staying overnight.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Exactly - your travel agent was your key to travel back then. I vividly remember going to my local AAA office, sitting at the nice woman’s desk, and having her take me through brochures of the various resorts and booking a “vacation package” and getting my travelers checks. Your travel package with your paper airline tickets (in triplicate), itineraries, and hotel vouchers was like a a three pound notebook of vacation excitement.
There was something very exciting about leaving with that big package of papers. I guess the online stuff today is more convenient but there was something more “luxurious” about an “expert” showing you your options and then booking everything for you. The good old days.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We went to Kona Cafe 3 weeks ago, and while it was a good meal, it dawned on me that Poly would probably not worth staying at.

After that lunch we went to Trader Sam's, about 15 minutes after it opened, and there was already a 90 minute wait for a table!

Could you imagine paying $500 a night or more to stay at a hotel and you can't even get a table at the bar or restaurant like 'Ohana because it's full of people who are mostly staying somewhere else for far less? I'm totally guilty of this, but Disney's way of doing business gives you no advantage if you're staying here vs Pop Century or Port Orleans. If you want to shop, watch the luau or fireworks from the beach, you don't have to be staying here to do those either.

They got rid of the arcade and child care centre. If you want to work out or visit the spa, you have to walk or take the monorail over to Grand Floridian, a different hotel you could be staying at for less. Like some other on-site hotels the only specific benefit to staying at Poly are the rooms themselves, and the pool. Both are nice, but not worth the current asking price.

Polynesian is a nice looking hotel that's enjoyable to visit to see a piece of 70s WDW history, but maybe not worth staying overnight.
Sadly I think this applies to most of the deluxe resorts. I have no issue with guests not staying at the resort eating in the restaurants, but they should try to hold back some amenities for hotel guests.

I ran into this out at DLR this summer. We stayed at Grand CA and on our first night we were tired from the early flight and day at the park so we decided to hit the pool and just eat dinner at the pool bar. The problem was the pool bar was just redone and was super nice. Shouldn’t be a problem, except it’s right at the back exit from DCA so tons of locals heading back to the parking garages were camped out there poolside having drinks. I wasn’t planning on sitting at the bar itself anyway we just planned to have quick eats on the lounge chairs poolside, but the quick service restaurant next to the bar shared a kitchen so they had a 60 to 75 min wait for hot food because of the overflow. It would have been nice if they cut off the general public at some point knowing there could be hotel guests looking for food or drinks. I think Disney is just allergic to saying no to guests and people know that and take advantage.

Animaniac93-98

Sadly I think this applies to most of the deluxe resorts. I have no issue with guests not staying at the resort eating in the restaurants, but they should try to hold back some amenities for hotel guests.

I ran into this out at DLR this summer. We stayed at Grand CA and on our first night we were tired from the early flight and day at the park so we decided to hit the pool and just eat dinner at the pool bar. The problem was the pool bar was just redone and was super nice. Shouldn’t be a problem, except it’s right at the back exit from DCA so tons of locals heading back to the parking garages were camped out there poolside having drinks. I wasn’t planning on sitting at the bar itself anyway we just planned to have quick eats on the lounge chairs poolside, but the quick service restaurant next to the bar shared a kitchen so they had a 60 to 75 min wait for hot food because of the overflow. It would have been nice if they cut off the general public at some point knowing there could be hotel guests looking for food or drinks. I think Disney is just allergic to saying no to guests and people know that and take advantage.

You'd think the pool area would at least be hotel guests only . :(

The_Jobu

I always found the drinks from Tambu Lounge much better than Sam's. Not that I'm defending the crowding.

TP2000

Your travel package with your paper airline tickets (in triplicate), itineraries, and hotel vouchers was like a a three pound notebook of vacation excitement.

Oh, my gosh! I had completely forgotten about paper airline tickets! They were in triplicate on very thin almost tissue paper, with red ink that turned to pink by the third copy, full of all sorts of weird airline codes, and slid inside a swanky ticket jacket from the airline. I also suddenly remember TWA's ticket jackets used to have gold leafed swoopy-loopy font that said "Royal Ambassador Class" on the front, as if the ticket was made for the Queen of England.

Funny the things you had forgotten from decades ago that all of a sudden come flooding back so vividly. I bet there's Millenials out there who don't even know what a ticket jacket is, much less the triplicate carbon copy ticket inside.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

The issue of not being able to use the restaurant in the resort you have booked to me does feel like a big issue. I think WDW is slightly underbuilt for restaurants in general, some places are just too popular (like 'Ohana) but I think if you are in the resort you should be able to get a short notice reservation at your own resort!

JTT

I love the Poly. I visit every time I go but I have not stayed there in the last decade or so. Way too expensive!
I wonder what the occupancy rate has been? I can't imagine it stays full or even close.

SandyToes72

You went downtown and talked to your Travel Agent, who booked it all for you. That process went through at least the early 1990's, although in the 90's I vaguely remember calling a 1-800-WDISNEY number and doing it my damn self a few times.

I agree about the pricing. The Poly had always been my go-to hotel for WDW trips, but no longer. It's just too expensive for the mediocre service and amenities you get, and I can't justify it in my brain any longer. And since I'm now completely enamored with the Marriott Bonvoy program after my SPG awards transferred over last year, I will be headed to the Ritz-Carlton instead.
In 1974, my mom paid $36.00 (before taxes) for 4 people staying in a room. It was considered garden view. I believe she sent a regular check to pay to pay for it. I kept the receipt as a souvenir as I was 13 and nutso about Disney.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The issue of not being able to use the restaurant in the resort you have booked to me does feel like a big issue. I think WDW is slightly underbuilt for restaurants in general, some places are just too popular (like 'Ohana) but I think if you are in the resort you should be able to get a short notice reservation at your own resort!
They definitely could keep some tables held back at restaurants for resort guests. It would even feel like a big perk. They just don’t want to risk the table goin empty.

Instead with the rigid dining reservation process you end up with lounges and bars at restaurants filled with families with kids who didn’t book their dining reservations in time. I have no problem with Ohana being booked in advance (I know I have to book it if I want to eat there) but I have a much bigger problem with people not staying at the resort taking up lounge chairs at the pool to watch fireworks or taking up space at bars and lounges which should be available for resort guests. If I want to stop in the lobby lounge for a drink or two at a deluxe resort I shouldn’t have to wade through toddlers eating chicken nuggets off the kids menu. I know it’s Disney and kids will be everywhere but it would be nice if adult resort guests had a place to unwind and have a drink.

The same complaint applies to quick service which should always be convenient and available to guests. I’ve really only seen this as a problem occasionally at CR and Poly along the monorail and one summer day at Beach Club at the pool snack bar.

aladdin2007

I remember when Disney sent you a whole welcome packet in the mail after making a reservation, you would get a booklet and a themed paper reservation details etc, which really made you anticipate it even more. Then at the actual resort you would get a themed large newspaper type fold out booklet that had all the details and backstories of the resort, activities guides etc.....I still have them from the then Dixie Landings, and Wilderness Lodge among others......... Now you get nothing, magic is dead, and the price gauging they are doing if one wants to call it that, its just not worth or as fun anymore.

deeevo

I realize that the Polynesian has always been near the top of deluxe resorts in regards to pricing, but it seems like the prices have become insane. I was searching a bunch of different weeks for March 2020 and all of the standard rooms are going for over $550 and that's with the 10% discount. It's actually cheaper to stay at the Grand Floridian, than the Polynesian. It has always been my favorite resort on Disney's property, but I'm afraid I can't afford it anymore.

This is the AP rate I got in 2015 and then 2 years later in 2017 ( Its was Summer 2017 and not off peak). It was up over $400 for the same AP rate last year so I rented points. If I ever stay at Poly or any other DXL for that matter I will rent points.

1574791761206.png

1574791842437.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I remember when Disney sent you a whole welcome packet in the mail after making a reservation, you would get a booklet and a themed paper reservation details etc, which really made you anticipate it even more. Then at the actual resort you would get a themed large newspaper type fold out booklet that had all the details and backstories of the resort, activities guides etc.....I still have them from the then Dixie Landings, and Wilderness Lodge among others......... Now you get nothing, magic is dead, and the price gauging they are doing if one wants to call it that, its just not worth or as fun anymore.
You get Disney’s user friendly and not glitchy at all website.

Actually, the poor show of the official Disney website has actually helped create a niche industry for 3rd party run websites.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is the AP rate I got in 2015 and then 2 years later in 2017 ( Its was Summer 2017 and not off peak). It was up over $400 for the same AP rate last year so I rented points. If I ever stay at Poly or any other DXL for that matter I will rent points.

View attachment 428735

View attachment 428739
Renting points is a real hidden gem. A week at the Poly at the end of August works out to the equivalent of a pre-tax room rate of $330 or roughly the cost of a preferred room at Coronado Springs.

Just don’t rent points this August...I’m tryin to use my points there and can book until Jan :)

EricPZ

We'd booked a room at POR for June...then looked at renting DVC. Ended up getting a Deluxe Studio (3 kids, need to sleep 5) at the Poly for the same week for only $400 more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom