What's with the "Eye-Rolling" and Negativity.

Rich1

Original Poster
Ok, so I just recently joined the Forums. However, I have been viewing the Forums at WDWMagic for quite some time just so I could see some "wanna be" insiders give some somewhat educated information on what is possibly going on at WDW. Now mind you, unless any of you work in the offices with the big guns then realistically you have no clue what is going on with TDO. Ok, now to get to my point, I love Disney World and have loved Disney World longer than anything else I can remember. i remember what it was when I was a child and remember the magic I experienced there. As an Adult, I realize that sometimes things seem much more grand in our memories then the reality. However, Disney has always taken me back to when I was a child and things still seem so amazing there. Unfortunately, alot of you guys just seem to want to bash the thing that I love..I dont get it. Obviously you love Disney as much as I do or you wouldnt be on a site posting/reading comments about it continously. My advice to everyone on this Forum, its ok to discuss things. It's great to have ideas but when it comes to Walt Disney World, allow yourselves to fall back into the spirit of childhood and just view it through the eyes you saw it in back when you were a child. Yes, Disney is a business and unfortunately sometimes they are forced to make business decisions, these decisions may suck today but some of these decisions are made so Disney can be around for another 100+ years. I know Im going to continue to see negativity on these boards, lets face...some ppl are just negative. But lets try to not ruin the image of Disney for new people that may read some of our comments. I promise you, this happens.
I know how it works, i'd be willing to be Ill see some lame person post a smiley with the eyes rolling after this post and thats ok...not clever but I can deal with it. Im not sure exactly what my point is totally other than just please, sometimes lets be more like children by being well less like babies.

NewfieFan

You have to understand that a lot of members here have been here for a long time. We've seen, read, and talked about it all. There's lots of stuff that we don't like, disagree with, upsets us, etc. that happens at Disney... but the fact of the matter is we (for the most part) love Disney. We wouldn't be on this board discussing a theme park in our spare time if we didn't have some sort of attachment to the place.

If you'd like to see more positive comments maybe start a thread discussing something postive about Disney World...

nepalostparks

First off, welcome to the forums :wave:

I think a lot of people here are passionate about Disney, and often become offended or negative when the things they love about the World, especially those from their childhood or even adulthood memories, end up changing, in their perception, for the worse.

If you've been around for awhile, you've surely noticed there are a few members who just like to stir the pot, either by always being negative and arguing everything, and those who like to pretend they are in the know and make up all sorts of wild ideas... most of which are just blue sky rumors from this and other Disney sites. You learn to live with them, take their posts with a grain of salt, and ignore them as time goes on.

There are a few members here who really ARE in the know, and their information, while not always 100% on the money, is more often than not correct.

Overall though, a majority of the members who post here are more realistic, if not generally positive, than the few negative posters. There are even a handful of us who spend their time in the Trip Planning section trying to help with the "newbie" member questions that have been asked a hundred (or thousand) times before.

Hope you have fun posting here and joining in on the discussions! :wave:

Rich1

Original Poster
Don't get me wrong..I do think there are plenty of positive things said about Disney. It's just sometimes frustrating b/c you basically sometimes have people on here that come off as "fear mongers" and that what is happening is the apocalypse at Disney World. I just dont think this is true..I believe things transistion and go through cycles and currently that is what is happening at WDW. Its just funny how some ppl complain that they get rid of the classics while at the same time complain about how things need to modernized. You can't alway have both. Mission Space for example...its overall more crowd pleasing to guests than Horizons. Classic Disney enthusiasts will disagree with that but its just the way it is...Disney needs to draw an audience and some times that means you are going to anger a minority. Yes, Horizons was cool but sometimes you cant have both.

Rich1

Original Poster
..but I dont want to come off as negative either..I just want everyone to enjoy WDW as much as I do..and it bothers me when others don't I guess.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
..but I dont want to come off as negative either..I just want everyone to enjoy WDW as much as I do..and it bothers me when others don't I guess.
That`s life.

If anything it takes maturity to admit things arn't all great and perfect in WDW.

wvdisneyfamily

It seems to me the best way to address negativity is not to indulge it. If someone is on a rant about a topic, change the focus of the subject to something nicer. Let's take pool hopping for example. A lot of people get ticked that the Yacht and Beach pool gets visited by non resort guests. Yes, this is annoying because you pay for the use of the pool while the non resort guests do not. Ranting, moaning, and whining may provide short term relief. That does not change that it happened. Further, when others jump in and whine, moan, and complain, it gets worse and more negative. Then, others jump in and admonish the complainers. None of this accomplishes anything. However, if someone were to shift the tone by saying "that pool is very nice and it's cool you got to swim in it. It does stink that you had people breaking the rules like that. I know Disney tries to control that problem in lots of ways. However, if it was an issue for you, let them know about it."

The thing about negativity is that it is fueled by attention. Admonishing it fuels it. Put the fire out with water instead of gasoline.

By the way...

Welcome to the boards. :)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
There are several "schools" on the forums:

• Everything about Disney is perfect.
  • Disney is great but needs to stay focused to stay on top.
  • Disney is slipping.
  • Disney really doesn't care any more.
  • Disney isn't worth visiting.
  • I know better than Disney.

All of them claim to love WDW. The reality is like any society you get a little bit of everything. Generally, these forums tend to be less negative than others and a lot more helpful than most. That's why I'm here. :cool:

Oh, and...

:rolleyes:

Just so someone did it! :lol:

Rich1

Original Poster
LOL..ok im over it. Sorry, its just something that I've noticed over the last year or so while reading the boards. I am glad to be an official "poster" now and hope that things can be kept positive and dont be afraid to keep me in check..if I get negative just give me a bop on the head.:hammer:...by the way the one smiley that I think should go away is ~>:shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
LOL..ok im over it. Sorry, its just something that I've noticed over the last year or so while reading the boards. I am glad to be an official "poster" now and hope that things can be kept positive and dont be afraid to keep me in check..if I get negative just give me a bop on the head.:hammer:...by the way the one smiley that I think should go away is ~>:shrug:

Nah...it's a great smiley. It comes in handy during discussions when you want to make a point, but it's not necessarily based upon facts.

It tempers your post so you don't seem arrogant. :shrug:

^see? :D

EPCOT.nut

You have to understand that a lot of members here have been here for a long time. We've seen, read, and talked about it all. There's lots of stuff that we don't like, disagree with, upsets us, etc. that happens at Disney... but the fact of the matter is we (for the most part) love Disney. We wouldn't be on this board discussing a theme park in our spare time if we didn't have some sort of attachment to the place.

If you'd like to see more positive comments maybe start a thread discussing something postive about Disney World...

AMEN. And if a thread does get too negative I just stop reading it. Works well for me.

I've been a member of Magic for a while now, too, and I've been involved in some particularly nasty threads :lol::lookaroun but the ones I always remember are the killer ones or the funny ones. Like the Celebration 25 thread - WOW what that turned into! And the 'Best place to pooh' thread - which was :lol::lookaroun

Welcome to the Boards.

wolf359

That`s life.

If anything it takes maturity to admit things arn't all great and perfect in WDW.

Agreed, but unfortunately a lot of the discussion about the negative aspects of Disney isn't coming from a place of maturity, but from immature, hyperbole-laden pot stirring.

Even though I try to keep (and post) a positive attitude about Disney, I freely admit there are plenty of things that still need attention. And the level-headed posts discussing those issues (and ways to solve them) can be just as enjoyable and even inspiring and eye-opening to the most die hard pixie dust sniffer.

But it can become frustrating, even a little disheartening to those that are keeping an open mind when the "doom and gloom" gets so heavy it outshines everything else going on.

GenerationX

This board is loaded with useful information and always has been. It's also a place for spirited debate and always has been. Stick to the Tips, Trip Planning, and Trip Report forums if you prefer less dissension.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There are plenty of fan forums where everybody agrees with each other and are heavily moderated with no dissension being allowed.

Thank God this isn't one of them.

Rinx

First off, welcome to the forums :wave:

I think a lot of people here are passionate about Disney, and often become offended or negative when the things they love about the World, especially those from their childhood or even adulthood memories, end up changing, in their perception, for the worse.

That is exactly how I feel about all the things I love, especially Disney and my sports teams. We are used to certain standards and traditions that we are not always receptive to change, etc. I'll never hold my tongue when it comes to expressing my opinion, even if it is very negative. I'm a NJ Devils fan, I've been bashing them all season because I had great expectations for them in the beginning. The same may very well happen here with many members after the FLE is completed. Not everyone will like it and there will be plenty of negativity directed towards that as well. You can't prevent it, and actually, it should be encouraged. That's what we are here for :wave:

wedway71

I have been on here for a very long time. I have learned to take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt in here. At first I would buy into the "OMG...... Disney did this wrong or this new attraction sucks or why did Disney do this......on and on and on. I would get this " lack of faith" feeling that Disney is not as magical as it once was.

That quickly changed over time. I forgot what it was but one time soem new attraction came out ro something changed or something and everyone was doom and gloom and how horrible and you get the point.

After a few months, I went to Disney and saw with my own eyes....AND IT LOVED IT!!!! Not only did I love it, people around me also loved it.

Everytime Disney changes something.....there will be some people who back it and some who will not.

My thought is, if I was sooo smart and knew how to run a theme park better than Disney, well then they would have hired me by now.

I love Disney and have since 1971 when my parents took me there first year it opened adn I was one. I am not a fan boy by any means, but still think Disney is a great place to visit and still the best.

Atomicmickey

I enjoy it here but the content of the forums does get me down from time to time, everything needs to be kept in perspective.

I remember when I first joined, and I was planning my first trip in several years, I read a series of posts about the Angler Fish not working in The Seas, and got the impression that WDW was about to fall apart right in front of me.:lol:

I went, I saw, I had a magical time, and learned not to let it get me down.

I think the insider stuff here is better than anywhere else, and when I've had a question, I've had it answered here quicker than anywhere else, so have found it worthwhile to hang out, do my best to contribute to the community, and enjoy.

CP_alum08

Totally hit the nail on the head.

However, with the HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, number of apathetic people today it's nice to see emotion and concern from people on here. Even if what some people say is negative at least they care enough to have an opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom