What's with the "Eye-Rolling" and Negativity.

LongballMG

proud member since 2001

I've been a member of these forums for almost 10 years. I don't post often, but I read every day.

I think we have a good community. I know some people view the occasional negativity as a bad thing, but most of us are used to it.

I'm still here to share in the inside jokes that only a few of us remember, and carry on the mission of the old-timers who have come and gone. This site will always be my first website on my morning list.

rkelly42

I do not understand why so many new people come on and take offense to people having disagreements on these boards. Thats what they are here for, it is a forum for discussion and not just one sided. If everything was one sided here it would be pretty boring. I agree at times things can and have gotten a little out of hand, but that is what the mods are for. The only thing that I really do not understand are the people who come on and spread baseless rumors to try to stir things up, but those people usually do not last very long. So to all the new people coming on please enjoy the boards and if you are easily offended by disagreements then please just read all the happy threads.

Dad 2 M & M

I do not understand why so many new people come on and take offense to people having disagreements on these boards. Thats what they are here for, it is a forum for discussion and not just one sided. If everything was one sided here it would be pretty boring. I agree at times things can and have gotten a little out of hand, but that is what the mods are for. The only thing that I really do not understand are the people who come on and spread baseless rumors to try to stir things up, but those people usually do not last very long. So to all the new people coming on please enjoy the boards and if you are easily offended by disagreements then please just read all the happy threads.
When a forum has this many users some are going to be offended. There is a ton of great info here and much can be learned from both the positive and negative posts. Some extremely beneficial comments (that could be interpreted as negative) helped choose between lunch and dinner at a particular restaurant. The post indicated the lunch menu had many more offerings children would enjoy.

I expect disagreements.

powlessfamily4

I just love ya all!! I am happy to see the positive and often the negative makes me stop and consider things from a different view. It's all good :)

Phonedave

I am, I do and they don't pay enough.... :lookaroun

:lol:

Amen. If they want me, they have to pony up some scratch.

As far as negativity, I call it as I see it. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

I also tend to point out what I think is "operational mistakes" and what are "personal taste mistakes". There are some things I don't like - the over Stichification of WDW for example. Case in point, I would have bought the 4 pin 2011 Annual Passholder set last week, but instead of the Fab Four, it featured Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Stitch. I don't like it. But that is a matter or personal taste. I will state that I don't like it, but I do expect other people to have views of their own.

-dave

Jimmy Thick

The negativity, I feel, stems from the fact most of the people posting here do not visit the parks and must stir the pot by being negative towards Disney out of jealousy. If they went to the parks, at least once every 2 years, they would see for themselves Disney World, Disneyland, or any Disney property is still a magical way to have a family vacation.

Once I see the negativity get too bad, or the usual posters who offer nothing of value, kill a thread, I just move on and let them fight over their version of Fantasyland.

Jimmy Thick- Sing with me, sing for the years...

Disney05

I have to say, with all the negativity you say you see here, you were not flamed as bad as I thought you'd be. Now I'm not saying you don't see a lot of negative things being said here. But a lot of it comes from forum members wanting the absolute best that Disney can and is capable of producing. It's a great place to vent and to share ideas. I've gotten a lot of good information from here.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
the negativity, i feel, stems from the fact most of the people posting here do not visit the parks and must stir the pot by being negative towards disney out of jealousy. If they went to the parks, at least once every 2 years, they would see for themselves disney world, disneyland, or any disney property is still a magical way to have a family vacation.

Once i see the negativity get too bad, or the usual posters who offer nothing of value, kill a thread, i just move on and let them fight over their version of fantasyland.

Jimmy thick- sing with me, sing for the years...

Jimmy Thick- the driving force of the forum. Are YOU a Jimmy fan?

no.

SoupBone

I have to say, with all the negativity you say you see here, you were not flamed as bad as I thought you'd be. Now I'm not saying you don't see a lot of negative things being said here. But a lot of it comes from forum members wanting the absolute best that Disney can and is capable of producing. It's a great place to vent and to share ideas. I've gotten a lot of good information from here.

This is true to an extent, but some posters have nothing positive to say...ever. I love this FORUM because it does give people an avenue to express their feeling and OPINIONS (positive or negative). This place is also an invaluable resource for hard to find answers, and I enjoy that aspect of it. When I see negativity from a few people here, I just exit the thread because it really isn't worth my time to argue on an internet forum.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The negativity, I feel, stems from the fact most of the people posting here do not visit the parks and must stir the pot by being negative towards Disney out of jealousy. If they went to the parks, at least once every 2 years, they would see for themselves Disney World, Disneyland, or any Disney property is still a magical way to have a family vacation.

Once I see the negativity get too bad, or the usual posters who offer nothing of value, kill a thread, I just move on and let them fight over their version of Fantasyland.

Jimmy Thick- Sing with me, sing for the years...

Oh, the irony.....

The Duck

I'm new to posting on these boards as well and I'm amazed at just how civil it is compared to others that I've seen. One site in particular is saturated with doom & gloom and if anyone dares to post anything positive, it's a matter of time before someone attacks :fork:and the original poster eventually gives up and goes elsewhere. The problem with that site is not the negativity but the nastiness. Personally, I don't care if someone has a different opinion than mine about Disney but if the only way that they can express themselves is by personal insults and rude, condescending remarks, then I just shake the dust off my sandals and go elsewhere. By the way, I'm glad to be here and I hope to be a regular in due time. Also, I'm going to WDW in 2 weeks! :sohappy:

Walt Disney1955

Yes, in general this board is VERY civil compared to almost anything else you see on the internet. The maturity here is a breathe of fresh air. Go on any particular Youtube video and the cynical attitudes and posts from people are astounding. I'll give you an example, a Justin Bieber video on Youtube with comments:

"That guy is so GAY!"
"Oh yeah? Screw you! You $%&#!"
"Come here and say that you piece of $%&@!"
"I was with your mother last night........."

All of that can start out with an innocent comment like............."Justin Bieber has talent"

So thank God this board isn't like that at all, because I personally get sick and tired of people who are gutsy when they are in the safety of their own home hiding behind a computer. The rumours people make up are astounding because who is stopping them? So this board is a nice change, call it the magic of Disney if you want but rarely are people in a snarky mood on here.

However, yes the OP is right there can be some cynicism on here too. Heck, we're human. Personally I think we get a little spolied around here :lol: we've all been to Disney many times and while most of us still have the feeling of awe everytime we set foot down Main Street there is still a side of Walt that comes out in us. You know that famous comment: "When I go on a ride I am looking for what is wrong with it" or along those lines.

That's good in a way because Walt acheived what he did by trying to do everything to the best of his abilities. He never settled. As guests, I believe we all enjoy WDW but I agree that we forget how lucky we are to have gone there and how some people will never get there and probably think a local Six Flags park (nothing wrong with them of course) is the best they could ever see.

Sure, sometimes we need to be humbled, but call it passion for something we love if you'd like

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
What a load of self indulgent tosh. Oh please dont say nasty things about my favourite corporation. Suck it in its a message board no one is curling one down on your toast.

Being cynical isn't a life style choice its a condition developed by exposure to reality of recent failings of management. Or it could be a take. :shrug:

Sarcasm ? I dont know where you see that on this site. :shrug:

cast......................

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yes, in general this board is VERY civil compared to almost anything else you see on the internet. The maturity here is a breathe of fresh air. Go on any particular Youtube video and the cynical attitudes and posts from people are astounding. I'll give you an example, a Justin Bieber video on Youtube with comments:

"That guy is so GAY!"
"Oh yeah? Screw you! You $%&#!"
"Come here and say that you piece of $%&@!"
"I was with your mother last night........."

All of that can start out with an innocent comment like............."Justin Bieber has talent"

That's why whenever I view a YouTube Video I NEVER scroll down to see the comments...it just makes me sick how rude people can be to total strangers.

Not to mention the language used on what SHOULD be a family friendly site. (Come to think of it, the very people that YouTube should be protecting from such language are the very people that are posting it.)

So thank God this board isn't like that at all, because I personally get sick and tired of people who are gutsy when they are in the safety of their own home hiding behind a computer. The rumours people make up are astounding because who is stopping them? So this board is a nice change, call it the magic of Disney if you want but rarely are people in a snarky mood on here.

However, yes the OP is right there can be some cynicism on here too. Heck, we're human. Personally I think we get a little spolied around here :lol: we've all been to Disney many times and while most of us still have the feeling of awe everytime we set foot down Main Street there is still a side of Walt that comes out in us. You know that famous comment: "When I go on a ride I am looking for what is wrong with it" or along those lines.

That's good in a way because Walt acheived what he did by trying to do everything to the best of his abilities. He never settled. As guests, I believe we all enjoy WDW but I agree that we forget how lucky we are to have gone there and how some people will never get there and probably think a local Six Flags park (nothing wrong with them of course) is the best they could ever see.

Sure, sometimes we need to be humbled, but call it passion for something we love if you'd like
After the first time visiting WDW I thought that I would never be able to go back to a Six Flags again....well I have and still enjoy the park, however I just never try to compare the two.

What a load of self indulgent tosh. Oh please dont say nasty things about my favourite corporation. Suck it in its a message board no one is curling one down on your toast.

Being cynical isn't a life style choice its a condition developed by exposure to reality of recent failings of management. Or it could be a take. :shrug:

Sarcasm ? I dont know where you see that on this site. :shrug:

cast......................

Sarcasm? You? ......NEVER

zooey

Everyone has different opinions, likes and dislikes, and varying tastes.
All this is due to the subjective nature of how we experience the world. We all bring our own previous experiences, assumptions and expectations to everything we do, including WDW. When we feel passionately about something, it is difficult to imagine how anyone can feel differently. As others have said, maturity answers that question.

I've only been going to the parks as a discerning adult for 3 years. I definitely fell back in love with the parks (having not gone since I was 12), and I have brought my girlfriend and her family to the parks and they fell in love with them too. These are brand new customers, never having gone before, and they love it, even though they never saw Horizons, The Living Seas, or The original Enchanted Tiki Room (etc).

Real maturity manifests in relishing and enjoying the positive things Disney does and has still, while also acknowledging where it is lacking.

muse1983

Ok, so I just recently joined the Forums. However, I have been viewing the Forums at WDWMagic for quite some time just so I could see some "wanna be" insiders give some somewhat educated information on what is possibly going on at WDW. Now mind you, unless any of you work in the offices with the big guns then realistically you have no clue what is going on with TDO. Ok, now to get to my point, I love Disney World and have loved Disney World longer than anything else I can remember. i remember what it was when I was a child and remember the magic I experienced there. As an Adult, I realize that sometimes things seem much more grand in our memories then the reality. However, Disney has always taken me back to when I was a child and things still seem so amazing there. Unfortunately, alot of you guys just seem to want to bash the thing that I love..I dont get it. Obviously you love Disney as much as I do or you wouldnt be on a site posting/reading comments about it continously. My advice to everyone on this Forum, its ok to discuss things. It's great to have ideas but when it comes to Walt Disney World, allow yourselves to fall back into the spirit of childhood and just view it through the eyes you saw it in back when you were a child. Yes, Disney is a business and unfortunately sometimes they are forced to make business decisions, these decisions may suck today but some of these decisions are made so Disney can be around for another 100+ years. I know Im going to continue to see negativity on these boards, lets face...some ppl are just negative. But lets try to not ruin the image of Disney for new people that may read some of our comments. I promise you, this happens.
I know how it works, i'd be willing to be Ill see some lame person post a smiley with the eyes rolling after this post and thats ok...not clever but I can deal with it. Im not sure exactly what my point is totally other than just please, sometimes lets be more like children by being well less like babies.

I agree with your post 100%. However, for every negative/troll poster on here there are at least 100 more that are extremely nice, helpful and very pleasant to discuss things with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom