What's the deal with the resort mugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizards8507

I've been a member of this community for just about a year now and I've heard several jokes about the refillable resort mugs. I admit, I don't understand the joke, so I'm just curious as to what the debate itself actually is.

stratman50th

I have that exact mug on my desk with all the DISNEY/MICKEY pens and pencils in it!!!! I love the fatter mugs better the design they use now. I also use my fatter Wilderness Lodge mug at home for my frozen drinks...I need to buy a new blender...rum is calling my name!!!!!
The other thing I didn't like about them is that they are hollow. If you put them in the dish washer, bottom on or off, the inside still fills up with water!:shrug:
The inside volume is about the same as any other go-cup.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

The other thing I didn't like about them is that they are hollow. If you put them in the dish washer, bottom on or off, the inside still fills up with water!:shrug:
The inside volume is about the same as any other go-cup.

Yes that does happen...thats why I treat my older mugs with great respect and wash them by hand!!! :lol: dont want the picture to wash off!!!!!

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I have a question to those who reuse based on the perception that at one point these mugs were good for life. Since as of now, we have no evidence supporting either side. If someone was able to obtain a statement from Disney stating that the Resort Mugs were never meant to be refillable for life. Would this put an end to you bringing the mugs back year after year? Because I am sure if Disney stated otherwise, that the mugs were for life in 1992 or whenever this started, then those people saying its not right to bring old mugs would change their tune.

Upvote 0

stratman50th

Yes that does happen...thats why I treat my older mugs with great respect and wash them by hand!!! :lol: dont want the picture to wash off!!!!!
The pictures are pretty tough! One of the cups has some scratches and wear, but not much. More from being bumped than from not being dishwasher safe. Thinking about it, two out of those three cups are almost 20 years old. My daughter was born in 94 and my mom had to make sure she had one when she was old enough to need it, so she bought her one.:lol:
As far as my cups, and Disney's lost income :)lol:) I think we use them in the morning once as I go and get my cup, and bring my wife one while she's back at the room getting beautified for the parks, and maybe another cup or two of soda a day if we remember.:D

Upvote 0

stratman50th

I have a question to those who reuse based on the perception that at one point these mugs were good for life. Since as of now, we have no evidence supporting either side. If someone was able to obtain a statement from Disney stating that the Resort Mugs were never meant to be refillable for life. Would this put an end to you bringing the mugs back year after year? Because I am sure if Disney stated otherwise, that the mugs were for life in 1992 or whenever this started, then those people saying its not right to bring old mugs would change their tune.
For my part, no. I know what I was told when I made the purchase and as I stated before, I keep my own counsel on the subject. I was a police officer for many years, not that it means anything to some people, but I consider myself an honest person with a fairly well developed conscience. I still use it based on the original verbal agreement. Since the employee that sold them was an agent for the company, I maintain that our agreement is binding.

Upvote 0

ArtieJim

I never understood why you can't use the mugs at different resorts on the same trip. If you're buying a $13 mug you should be able to use it wherever. It shouldn't be, if I want to have lunch at a QS joint in any other hotel and I bought the mug at my hotel that I have to pay for a drink.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
For my part, no. I know what I was told when I made the purchase and as I stated before, I keep my own counsel on the subject. I was a police officer for many years, not that it means anything to some people, but I consider myself an honest person with a fairly well developed conscience. I still use it based on the original verbal agreement. Since the employee that sold them was an agent for the company, I maintain that our agreement is binding.

This is a very slippery slope to try and traverse. A low level employee does not have the power to dictate policy. If they make a mistake, and you are made aware of their mistake, then are you not required to rectify said mistake? Just as an example. If you went into Best Buy and bought a washing machine and a drier, but the clerk only charged you for the washer, because he thought the drier came free. Then you went to leave, but the man checking the receipts at the door noticed that you did not pay for the dryer. Would you think it was within your rights to keep the dryer because the clerk told you it was free? Is that a binding oral agreement as well? Where is the line drawn?

Upvote 0

Doug7856

We purchased our first mugs in December 2000. We were told by the cashier to hold on to the mug forever. Anytime we stay at All Star Movies, we could refill the mugs. The posted rules now state that refills are for the current visit only. I don't know if the cashier at that time was accurate or not; however, her statement influenced our decision to purchase the mug. We still have the mugs, but haven't been back to All Star Movies.

Upvote 0

stratman50th

This is a very slippery slope to try and traverse. A low level employee does not have the power to dictate policy. If they make a mistake, and you are made aware of their mistake, then are you not required to rectify said mistake? Just as an example. If you went into Best Buy and bought a washing machine and a drier, but the clerk only charged you for the washer, because he thought the drier came free. Then you went to leave, but the man checking the receipts at the door noticed that you did not pay for the dryer. Would you think it was within your rights to keep the dryer because the clerk told you it was free? Is that a binding oral agreement as well? Where is the line drawn?
Well, I've seen this statement before in the "Mug" threads. I'm not one of those people who enjoy a good debate. I've stated my opinion on the subject and I answered your question. So, I'm not the least bit interested in getting into a long multi-page debate that will get the thread closed. So far it's been very civil, tongue in cheek and fun. See if you get any more takers on your original question and have a ball. Homey ain't gonna play. ;)

Where is the line drawn?
As far as I'm concerned, with my last sentence^^ :wave:

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member

Well, if the clerk told me that they could only be sold as a set, so that was the price per set, AND I took it home and used it for a few years, I certainly would expect the store to honor the contract, even if the clerk had made a mistake. I would expect the store to honor the sale once the item had left the premises.

Something similar did happen to me, and the store had to honor the original sale. I asked the clerk if he was sure the price was correct and he assured me that it was the correct price, so I put a deposit down and put it on lay away for Christmas.

I was contacted about a week later, and told that the clerk had made a mistake. Long story short, after contacting the AG's office, I was told that the store had to honor the original price, but did not have to allow me to defer payment, so I went in, paid in full, and took it home. I felt no moral obligation to rectify the mistake, as I only purchased the item because it was being sold at what I considered a bargain price - which I think was stratman's point. He would not have paid the asking price but for the CMs telling him it was good refills forever - which made it a bargain.

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Original Poster

Haha there are some attorneys around here lurking in the Marvel thread who might be able to address the Agency Law issues at hand, but I think the ethical answer to that would be that you know you're "getting away" with something that you shouldn't be dong. My unfounded theory is that cast members' employment contracts contain something alone the following lines:

No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of The Walt Disney Company with another party without express written confirmation by [Supervisor or Director].

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Well, I've seen this statement before in the "Mug" threads. I'm not one of those people who enjoy a good debate. I've stated my opinion on the subject and I answered your question. So, I'm not the least bit interested in getting into a long multi-page debate that will get the thread closed. So far it's been very civil, tongue in cheek and fun. See if you get any more takers on your original question and have a ball. Homey ain't gonna play. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, with my last sentence^^ :wave:

So the line is drawn arbitrarily by you, wherever you see fit. Gotcha.

By the way, for all I know, Resort Mugs were good for life once upon a time. And maybe you are completely in the right. My point was simple. If it turns out you were misinformed, and are now in direct violation of disney policy, then would you stop.

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Original Poster
Well, if the clerk told me that they could only be sold as a set, so that was the price per set, AND I took it home and used it for a few years, I certainly would expect the store to honor the contract, even if the clerk had made a mistake. I would expect the store to honor the sale once the item had left the premises.

Something similar did happen to me, and the store had to honor the original sale. I asked the clerk if he was sure the price was correct and he assured me that it was the correct price, so I put a deposit down and put it on lay away for Christmas.

The difference between appliance salesmen and quick service food and beverage cast members is that the CMs aren't salesmen. They receive payment and process transactions, but they don't have any ability to negotiate or barter with the guest. Salesmen often have the latitude to make "offers" and "deals" with customers, and their decisions are therefore binding on the company.

Upvote 0

Epcot Dave

We get a new mug every time and obey the letter of the law. Sure, we have a ton of mugs that look alike, but so what? That's what rubbermaid conteners are for, LOL. We generally save more than that $13 or $15 each!

We use the mug for meals at the POR Food Court and get bottled drinks for our QS meals to use with our girls. Our kids don't drink soda (7&3) and we've found that doing it this way is both kosher and a way to save a ton versus getting bottled juice at the resort or at the parks. Last I looked, a bottled apple juice was $2.69 or $2.99....add it up over a 7-10 day trip!

Not getting a new mug and faking the age of your kid(s) are technically theft.

Goint to another resort's pool is against the rules from what I've seen.

But taking your kids out of class? Really? Isn't that between the parents and the teacher? I've done it twice with my first grader and go approval from the teacher first, so there were no issues for us.

-Dave

Upvote 0

devoy1701

So the line is drawn arbitrarily by you, wherever you see fit. Gotcha.

By the way, for all I know, Resort Mugs were good for life once upon a time. And maybe you are completely in the right. My point was simple. If it turns out you were misinformed, and are now in direct violation of disney policy, then would you stop.

If the moon was made of prime rib would you eat it then? :lookaroun

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

I was contacted about a week later, and told that the clerk had made a mistake. Long story short, after contacting the AG's office, I was told that the store had to honor the original price, but did not have to allow me to defer payment, so I went in, paid in full, and took it home. I felt no moral obligation to rectify the mistake, as I only purchased the item because it was being sold at what I considered a bargain price - which I think was stratman's point. He would not have paid the asking price but for the CMs telling him it was good refills forever - which made it a bargain.

The way you describe it, my analogy does not fit. Admittedly it was a pretty general analogy, and not a perfect match to this situation.

Upvote 0

Testtrack321

Back when I was little we'd get one or two every trip for when we'd go to the pool. The mugs stayed at the resort when at the parks. If you want to bring them back to reuse, fine, but don't do it because you think you're sticking it "to the man", soft drinks are a total profit for them and probably costs pennies out of the $13 you'll spend on the cups.

I think Disney should offer a recycling station for them, if you can't fit them in your luggage we'll take them back and give you a rebate for next visit. That'll cut down on the plastic waste and curb freeloaders.

Upvote 0

Epcot Dave

Let me be lear on my post....my first trip on property was 1998, and I have no recollection of any "lifetime deal" that I can comment on. If there was, there was, and leave it at that.

However, all of the recent trips I've been on where it clearly states the rules are for that visit only and you bought a mug under those rules, you need to abide by those rules, IMO.

But just walking up with a BP-Shell-Mobil-whatever insulated cup and filling it up...really? That sort of blatant theft should get you a fine or the old heave-ho.

I'll admit, the faking a kid's age bothers me a lot more, though. Yeesh.

Dave

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Has anyone ever had their mugs stolen? I don't know why I just thought of that but I did. :hammer:

Seriously, tho. If someone were to steal someone else's mugs how would you catch who stole them with dozens and dozens of people walking around with the exact same mug? I could see it happening. One of my cousins bought her son a Pal Mickey for his big souvenir years back and it got stolen while waiting for the parade on Main Street. Stealing someone else's mugs would be gross to say the least but I'm sure it's happened. Maybe bringing a permanent marker with you would be a good thing. :shrug:

BTW, here's my refillable mug "tip" for those who are like me and get sorta grossed-out at the thought of not washing at least the mouth area of the mug with soap and hot water once or twice or a dozen times a day. ((I'm not a germophobe...I swear!)) I bought a couple packages of those disposable handi-wipe dish towel things that they sell by the cleaning products and scrubby brushes at Walmart or Target. I laid the towels out on the counter, thoroughly drizzled them with Dawn dish soap, placed a fan nearby, and waited for them to dry. Once dry I cut the towels into quarters and placed them in a gallon-size ziplock. Viola! Pre-loaded dish rags to wash my mugs with the hottest water I could summon in our room. Works great! :wave:

Upvote 0

stratman50th

Has anyone ever had their mugs stolen? I don't know why I just thought of that but I did. :hammer:
Seriously, tho. If someone were to steal someone else's mugs how would you catch who stole them with dozens and dozens of people walking around with the exact same mug?
This made me think of "mug people" which I am one of. I always used to laugh at the throngs of people walking back and forth with the mugs in their hand. Reminded me of zombies and the night of the living dead or something. :lol:

BTW, here's my refillable mug "tip" for those who are like me and get sorta grossed-out at the thought of not washing at least the mouth area of the mug with soap and hot water once or twice or a dozen times a day. ((I'm not a germophobe...I swear!)) I bought a couple packages of those disposable handi-wipe dish towel things that they sell by the cleaning products and scrubby brushes at Walmart or Target. I laid the towels out on the counter, thoroughly drizzled them with Dawn dish soap, placed a fan nearby, and waited for them to dry. Once dry I cut the towels into quarters and placed them in a gallon-size ziplock. Viola! Pre-loaded dish rags to wash my mugs with the hottest water I could summon in our room. Works great! :wave:
I always "wash" them out with the hot water dispenser on the coffee pot and a couple of napkins. It seems to get the job done at least partially. None of us has ever come down with anything.............. yet.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom