What's the deal with the resort mugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizards8507

I've been a member of this community for just about a year now and I've heard several jokes about the refillable resort mugs. I admit, I don't understand the joke, so I'm just curious as to what the debate itself actually is.

DizMagic

Whoooooo cares, i dont understand why people make such a big deal about certain things that has nothing to do with them.Dont get me wrong i dont condone stealing, but if someone wants to bring an old mug to disney,so what, thats there business, if they get caught , thats on them, im pretty sure they know the consequences of there act.If it was such a big problem im pretty sure disney would have cracked down on it already.I think some people are just mad because there not gutsy enough to do it, thats the only reason why i can think that someone would have a problem with someone else bringing back an old mug,when it clearly has nothing to do with them.Who cares if a parent wants to take there kids out of school for a disney trip,thats there prerogative. If everybody minded there own business,and worried about there own families the world would be a better place.

I don't think you understand business. When people steal it affects the price of everything. I'm sure Disney knows many will reuse their mugs so they factor it into the price we pay. Every company estimates the amount of money they will lose from theft and adds that money back into the price of the object. SO it does affect everyone because it drives the price up. Also if enough people steal disney will just get rid of the mugs all together which would also affect many of us. Also simple morality says stealing is wrong, I'm sure you would have a problem if people stole from you.

Upvote 0

powlessfamily4

I am amazed that there is so much to say on this subject. People, just do whats right. If you think Disney is to expensive stay home, if not just buy the mug and play by the rules.

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

When these mugs first came out they were advertised free refills for life. Thats one of the reasons why you may see very old ones still being used. I like to buy new ones once a year as I go multiple times a year. I would own dozens of every kind if I bought them every time. I only refill them maybe once or twice a day so they are making money on me.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
When these mugs first came out they were advertised free refills for life. Thats one of the reasons why you may see very old ones still being used. I like to buy new ones once a year as I go multiple times a year. I would own dozens of every kind if I bought them every time. I only refill them maybe once or twice a day so they are making money on me.

I thought I remembered that. If I had purchased under those "rules" I would have no moral qualms about reusing mine - if I had one. But I believe that the current wording states that they are for use at your resort for your length of stay. So, if I purchased one today I would feel obliged to follow the current rules.

I'm another person who doesn't use the food courts, so I would lose money on the deal. I assume there are thousands who don't get the full worth from them, which is why no one is cracking down on any misuse. But I can't help thinking that they might be cheaper if the cost for misuse wasn't factored into the price. And I wonder how high the cost will have to go before people stop buying new ones, which would cause WDW to stop offering them?

Everyone breaks "rules" from time to time. But most of us still know that we are doing so, do not try to argue that we are in the right, and are prepared to accept the consequences - even if the worst consequence is disapproval from others. ;)

So, let your conscience be your guide, but don't try to justify your actions on a discussion forum unless you're prepared to accept (gracefully) criticism.

Upvote 0

devoy1701

We always bring drinks with us. 2-12 packs of soda are only going to run us $5 and we always stay in a resort with a fridge. I would rather pay $5 for 2 12-packs than $26 for 2 resort mugs. We usually aren't in the resort or at least near the food court enough to make a resort mug convenient for us anyway.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
We always bring drinks with us. 2-12 packs of soda are only going to run us $5 and we always stay in a resort with a fridge. I would rather pay $5 for 2 12-packs than $26 for 2 resort mugs. We usually aren't in the resort or at least near the food court enough to make a resort mug convenient for us anyway.

Ditto. Cup of coffee in the morning, then water and adult beverages for the rest of the day.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

We get the mugs with the dining plan and I am worried they will be more of hassle this year. We are staying at the Boardwalk Inn.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is always claimed but has never been verified. I personally do not care either way but I would love to see some sort of evidence that this policy existed. Considering that there are dozens of Disney fan sites on the web with combined memberships exceeding a million members you would think that some shred of evidence (anecdotes are not evidence) would have surfaced by now. This lack of evidence leads me towards the lifetime policy of these mugs being more urban legend/misinformation than fact.

Upvote 0

devoy1701

Ditto. Cup of coffee in the morning, then water and adult beverages for the rest of the day.

I just wish the coffee in the rooms were better. (the creamer too!) The Swan and Dolphin serve Starbucks in the room which was fantastic! The water and adult beverages come with us too. Hanging out by the pool I'm not going to pay Disney's prices for a mixed drink! :D

We usually have breakfast in our room too. Since it's just the two a us a Half Gallon of Milk does the trick for for 3 days of cereal. Just a nice way for us to try to save some money on things we can control and spend it elsewhere!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just wish the coffee in the rooms were better. The Swan and Dolphin serve Starbucks in the room which was fantastic! The water and adult beverages come with us too. Hanging out by the pool I'm not going to pay Disney's prices for a mixed drink! :D

We usually have breakfast in our room too. Since it's just the two a us a Half Gallon of Milk does the trick for for 3 days of cereal. Just a nice way for us to try to save some money on things we can control and spend it elsewhere!
It is pretty easy to bring your own. Ziploc snack bags are perfect for this. Just meter out 8 table spoons worth worth of grounds in each bag and bring some filters and you are good to go.

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Kinda off topic, but we'll be staying at the Polynesian this Friday:sohappy:

Are theses mugs the plastic kind like at the 7-11 or are they actaully kinda nice souvenirs? I saw they are about $13...

We picked one up this past weekend at the Wilderness Lodge. It's a nice little mug, a useful souvenir if you will. They and the popcorn bucket both are handy for the kids when it's family movie night (or sleepover night; or adult beverage around the children night).

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I had "Grand Opening" mugs from POP at one point. Then I think we had POP's second design which I think was tie-dye. We stopped buying the mugs because we just didn't use them that much. If you swing by and grab a drink on the way out in the morning then you have to carry 4 dirty mugs all day. Or spend $$ renting a locker to hold them. If you want a drink on your way back in from the parks then some unlucky fellow gets nominated to run & go fetch the mugs. I wasn't making special trips to go get refills while at the resort. We just never found them convenient for us. If the designs were still resort-specific I'd consider buying them. Heck, I'd go to every resort we've stayed in & buy a set from each. If all I want is a WDW travel mug, well that can be had in any gift shop anywhere on property for less than $13.

Seriously, 4 of the $13 mugs for my family would cost $52 + tax. The minimum for grocery delivery from Garden Grocer is $40. I can buy 12-packs of sodas, cases of water, have them delivered to my room, and pay all the tips for that amount. AND I don't have to carry around a mug OR worry with washing mugs. The convenience is sooooo worth it to me.

Upvote 0

stratman50th

This is always claimed but has never been verified. I personally do not care either way but I would love to see some sort of evidence that this policy existed. Considering that there are dozens of Disney fan sites on the web with combined memberships exceeding a million members you would think that some shred of evidence (anecdotes are not evidence) would have surfaced by now. This lack of evidence leads me towards the lifetime policy of these mugs being more urban legend/misinformation than fact.
You'll never prove it because at the time of purchase, the rules weren't posted like they are now. There weren't cell phone cameras, or even digital cameras you could use for a quick picture. The camcorders were just getting to the point where you didn't have to plant them on your shoulder to shoot.
When you walked up to the cash register with your if I recall correctly $8.00 mug and asked why in the world (no pun) would I pay this much for a $3.00 mug, you were told by the cashier that if you purchased it it could be used for life. That was when we bought ours in 1992. I guess at the time they never realized that people would actually haul those mugs back to Florida each and every trip! We do out of pride. Disney being Disney they decided they better tighten up if they were going to squeeze every $touridollar$ out of their victims so they made it for duration of stay and posted the rules. That's my best guess Yoda, speculation, or an educated guess on my part as to why nobody has posted anything yet.

Now my response to those who point at me and call me a thief:
If I bought a mug today I would not bring it back trip after trip because the policy is clearly posted. However that being said, I will continue to use my old Port Orleans mugs as long as I have them. I am going by the original purchase agreement, and regardless of how many people on an internet forum agree or disagree I know what I know and value my own counsel on this, and care not what others may think.:wave:
Without further adieu, Disney's Port Orleans Resort Mug, circa 1992, (Notice I didn't say Port Orleans French Quarter....:D)

Mugs002.jpg

Mugs001.jpg

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You'll never prove it because at the time of purchase, the rules weren't posted like they are now. There weren't cell phone cameras, or even digital cameras you could use for a quick picture. The camcorders were just getting to the point where you didn't have to plant them on your shoulder to shoot.
When you walked up to the cash register with your if I recall correctly $8.00 mug and asked why in the world (no pun) would I pay this much for a $3.00 mug, you were told by the cashier that if you purchased it it could be used for life. That was when we bought ours in 1992. I guess at the time they never realized that people would actually haul those mugs back to Florida each and every trip! We do out of pride. Disney being Disney they decided they better tighten up if they were going to squeeze every $touridollar$ out of their victims so they made it for duration of stay and posted the rules. That's my best guess Yoda, speculation, or an educated guess on my part as to why nobody has posted anything yet.

If I bought a mug today I would not bring it back trip after trip because the policy is clearly posted. However that being said, I will continue to use my old Port Orleans mugs as long as I have them. I am going by the original purchase agreement, and regardless of how many people on an internet forum agree or disagree I know what I know and value my own counsel on this, and care not what others may think.:wave:
Without further adieu, Disney's Port Orleans Resort Mug, circa 1992, (Notice I didn't say Port Orleans French Quarter....:D)
If it were any place other than WDW I would accept that. I know that it is the reason why it will be hard to come by said evidence, but WDW has been one of the most fan documented places in the world. Modern technology has made it easier but people were snapping pictures of signs and trash cans at WDW since before it opened. You can find operational manuals for attractions that opened in 1971 or pictures of a field where the castle now stands. I know people that have every single park map ever produced at WDW. IMHO if this policy ever "officially" existed there has to be at least one shred of physical evidence left to prove it.

I have no doubt that guests were told that the mugs included lifetime refills but that does no mean that it was official policy. Castmembers are human and explain things incorrectly to this day.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

stratman50th, I don't doubt what you say about your '92 PO mugs (which I would sooooo love to have willed to me one day... :D). If that's what you were told when you bought them then I think you should, by all means, keep taking those babies back & fillin' 'em up. I would. Heck, if I had awesome mugs like that even if they told me to stop filling them at the drink stations I would buy a drink & dump it in just to be able to sport my killer mug. LOL! I think you're prob'ly a serious minority when it comes to those old mug refiller folks, tho. I don't think all those people were told they had refills for life. Either way, I don't care. I don't drink soda and try to avoid the Nasty-Cafe coffee as much as possible. I haven't bought a mug in 5 years and don't intend to so it matters not to me how high the soda-jackers drive the cost or if they get the mug program shut down altogether.

It does seem odd that there's never been a picture of a "lifetime refillable mug" sign or flyer of some sort. There's pictures of eeeeeverything.

Again, it's not that I doubt you at all. I think with the mug thing it all comes down to conscience. You know in your heart that you aren't wrong in what you do. It's those that know they're wrong but do it anyway and/or try to justify it somehow that make me wonder why they'd wish bad karma upon themselves. Ya know? :shrug:

Looooove your old mugs! I'm always watching for old mugs on eBay just to have here at the house. I wonder if I could turn a nice profit on my old Pop mugs????

Upvote 0

stratman50th

stratman50th, I don't doubt what you say about your '92 PO mugs (which I would sooooo love to have willed to me one day... :D). If that's what you were told when you bought them then I think you should, by all means, keep taking those babies back & fillin' 'em up. I would. Heck, if I had awesome mugs like that even if they told me to stop filling them at the drink stations I would buy a drink & dump it in just to be able to sport my killer mug. LOL! I think you're prob'ly a serious minority when it comes to those old mug refiller folks, tho. I don't think all those people were told they had refills for life. Either way, I don't care. I don't drink soda and try to avoid the Nasty-Cafe coffee as much as possible. I haven't bought a mug in 5 years and don't intend to so it matters not to me how high the soda-jackers drive the cost or if they get the mug program shut down altogether.

It does seem odd that there's never been a picture of a "lifetime refillable mug" sign or flyer of some sort. There's pictures of eeeeeverything.

Again, it's not that I doubt you at all. I think with the mug thing it all comes down to conscience. You know in your heart that you aren't wrong in what you do. It's those that know they're wrong but do it anyway and/or try to justify it somehow that make me wonder why they'd wish bad karma upon themselves. Ya know? :shrug:

Looooove your old mugs! I'm always watching for old mugs on eBay just to have here at the house. I wonder if I could turn a nice profit on my old Pop mugs????

Like I was saying to Yoda, I think it was the times and the lack of ready media that we have today, you know, digital and the internet.
I now have about 8 of them. My mom died two years ago, and my dad just died this past Dec. I've been in the process of cleaning out the house and found their mugs, as well as my niece and nephew's mugs. The down side is my mom wrote their names on them in permanent marker:rolleyes:

I think you hit the nail on the head when you gave the reasons why they weren't for you, but also why disney banks on repurchases;
If you swing by and grab a drink on the way out in the morning then you have to carry 4 dirty mugs all day.
And This
Or spend $$ renting a locker to hold them.
And This
If you want a drink on your way back in from the parks then some unlucky fellow gets nominated to run & go fetch the mugs. I wasn't making special trips to go get refills while at the resort. We just never found them convenient for us.
They aren't all that convenient, and we do still end up buying paper cups for your above stated reasons even though we have our mugs.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Like I was saying to Yoda, I think it was the times and the lack of ready media that we have today, you know, digital and the internet.
I now have about 8 of them. My mom died two years ago, and my dad just died this past Dec. I've been in the process of cleaning out the house and found their mugs, as well as my niece and nephew's mugs. The down side is my mom wrote their names on them in permanent marker:rolleyes:

I think you hit the nail on the head when you gave the reasons why they weren't for you, but also why disney banks on repurchases;

And This

And This

They aren't all that convenient, and we do still end up buying paper cups for your above stated reasons even though we have our mugs.

Awww...I'm really sorry for your loss of your folks. That's awesome that your mom held onto the mugs. Man, those old resort ones are like goldmines because they don't do them that way anymore. I hate that. I wrote my boys' names on one set of their mugs but over the years it's sorta scratched off. Gotta do what you can to avoid the Disney brawls when you're there. LOL!

Yeeeeep. Those Disney folks are pretty smart when it comes to separating their guests from their dollars. After we bought our 2nd set of mugs and still caught ourselves purchasing the drinks like usual was when we swore off the mugs forever. I started to come around to buying them again just to have a set for each resort we've stayed at but that's when the mugs went generic which killed any temptation I had. :D

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

Mugs002.jpg

Mugs001.jpg

I have that exact mug on my desk with all the DISNEY/MICKEY pens and pencils in it!!!! I love the fatter mugs better the design they use now. I also use my fatter Wilderness Lodge mug at home for my frozen drinks...I need to buy a new blender...rum is calling my name!!!!!

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I have that exact mug on my desk with all the DISNEY/MICKEY pens and pencils in it!!!! I love the fatter mugs better the design they use now. I also use my fatter Wilderness Lodge mug at home for my frozen drinks...I need to buy a new blender...rum is calling my name!!!!!

I think they went away from the fat mugs because they didn't fit so well in the drink-holders in cars. I know that was our reasoning for only buying 2 of the fat mugs. :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom