What's the deal with the resort mugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizards8507

I've been a member of this community for just about a year now and I've heard several jokes about the refillable resort mugs. I admit, I don't understand the joke, so I'm just curious as to what the debate itself actually is.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I might be alone in this but I would consider getting an unlimited beverage for your length of stay thing if you did not have to use the mugs. IMHO they are the worst part of the deal. Having to deal with multiple cups (because all of us with kids know they won't carry them) at the parks is a major deal breaker. If I could stop by the food court on my way out or on my way back and grab a paper cup I would do it in a second. It also does not help that these things hold just slightly more than a shot glass.

Upvote 0

lebeau

I might be alone in this but I would consider getting an unlimited beverage for your length of stay thing if you did not have to use the mugs. IMHO they are the worst part of the deal. Having to deal with multiple cups (because all of us with kids know they won't carry them) at the parks is a major deal breaker. If I could stop by the food court on my way out or on my way back and grab a paper cup I would do it in a second. It also does not help that these things hold just slightly more than a shot glass.

Yeah, that's why we never buy them. I would probably reconsider if I didn't actually have to carry the darn mug around all the time.

Upvote 0

stratman50th

Have a wrist band like at the pools now!
They would be really much more worthwhile if they were like a thermos and held more volume and they could be sealed against spilling like inside a backpack for instance. Maybe something insulated, taller, slimmer, and sealed with a screw on lid.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Have a wrist band like at the pools now!
They would be really much more worthwhile if they were like a thermos and held more volume and they could be sealed against spilling like inside a backpack for instance. Maybe something insulated, taller, slimmer, and sealed with a screw on lid.
Almost anything would be better than what the have know. I think these things hold something on the order of 12 oz. While that is great for portion control for soda's or juice it amounts to next to noting when you are drinking water of coffee.

Upvote 0

Laura

It amuses me the way the Disney obsessed community feels the need to protect and defend the Disney empire from people who are "stealing" 1 cent sodas.

The people who are taking the sodas either know they are doing something wrong and don't care, or they truly believe what they are doing is ok. The number-crunchers at Disney I'm sure have factored in this OUTRAGEOUS THIEVERY of maybe $50 worth of coke per day into their budgets. :lol:

I think the main thing in these threads is the people who "follow the rules" want the "rule-breakers" to feel shame for their actions. :lol: It's just not gonna happen. Waste of time.

Personally, I don't like bothering with the mugs. I find them to be a hassle and a pain in the neck.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

Laura, dang, your avatar is giving me a seizure! :lol:

yeah, so as for the refillable cups - I am pretty certain the bean counters did NOT factor in the fact the Yeti on the Expedition: Everest would be so disillusioned by seeing the rampant thievery that he would break loose from his foundation in disgust and ruin the Disney Animal Kingdom's best e-ticket ride.

The only way the Yeti will ever return to A-mode will be for the mug-hoggers to cease their unlawful ways! :fork:

Upvote 0
Wow, page 5 already....a little late to the party but here's my 2 cents.

I am one of those wierd people that take amusement in buying a mug every trip...in the grand scheme of things, 13 bucks isn't going to ruin my vacation.
As for the Disney side of things with people re-using old cups....in the long run it would probably cost them more to try an monitor and patrol it than it is to let people get away with it. (I've worked in restaurants, fountain pop is considered a no return item) I would toss out a guess that the majority of people that aren't in the world more than once every few years don't remember their cup.

As for a funny story, during breakfast at Riverside one day I watched someone fill their 1 purchased cup and continue to fill 5 large containers they had brought with them. Probably there 7 minutes pouring pop.

Upvote 0

George

Liker of Things
I only buy the mugs (as opposed to a meal plan or other nonsense) on my trips. I find that they not only hold beverages, but can be used as PSC's (portable sustenance containers), since I routinely fill them with fixings from any toppings bar that I happen to be wandering by.

Upvote 0

Laura

Laura, dang, your avatar is giving me a seizure! :lol:

You're welcome. :D

I only buy the mugs (as opposed to a meal plan or other nonsense) on my trips. I find that they not only hold beverages, but can be used as PSC's (portable sustenance containers), since I routinely fill them with fixings from any toppings bar that I happen to be wandering by.

This doesn't surprise me a bit. Grab me some free mayo next time.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
i only buy the mugs (as opposed to a meal plan or other nonsense) on my trips. I find that they not only hold beverages, but can be used as psc's (portable sustenance containers), since i routinely fill them with fixings from any toppings bar that i happen to be wandering by.

Hahaha
:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

scottnj1966

This topic sure comes up alot.

Some people make this a very big issue for some reason.
Many do not concern themselves with this issue when it comes up here at the forums. I am usually one of those people.

This is my take on the whole thing.

I have stayed at almost every WDW resort, and many of them mulitple times. Grand Floridian is the next this Sept.

Many mention rules of these mugs. I have bought them before. Not once did the cashier tell me about any rules nor did I have to sign anything saying exactly where and when they can be used.

I also have never seen a cast member tell any guest at any of the resorts I have stayed not to refill any mug or cup for that matter.

If Disney is not to worried about it, I sure am not.
Anyway I try to drink only water these days anyway.
I also use their water fountains, I have been drinking out of them since I was a kid in the 70's. And yes I am still alive!! hahaha

Upvote 0

devoy1701

It amuses me the way the Disney obsessed community feels the need to protect and defend the Disney empire from people who are "stealing" 1 cent sodas.

The people who are taking the sodas either know they are doing something wrong and don't care, or they truly believe what they are doing is ok. The number-crunchers at Disney I'm sure have factored in this OUTRAGEOUS THIEVERY of maybe $50 worth of coke per day into their budgets. :lol:

I think the main thing in these threads is the people who "follow the rules" want the "rule-breakers" to feel shame for their actions. :lol: It's just not gonna happen. Waste of time.

Personally, I don't like bothering with the mugs. I find them to be a hassle and a pain in the neck.

Stealing is stealing whether you're taking a 1 cent soda from a multimedia empire or the last red cent from some poor sap down on his luck. I'm not sure how who (or what) you're stealing from justifies at all what it is you're stealing. While it may seem trivial, at the end of the day you're still doing something you're not supposed to be doing. If it doesn't bother you it doesn't bother you...it's your own moral compass being tested here.

Upvote 0

tmack8983

I don't think you understand business. When people steal it affects the price of everything. I'm sure Disney knows many will reuse their mugs so they factor it into the price we pay. Every company estimates the amount of money they will lose from theft and adds that money back into the price of the object. SO it does affect everyone because it drives the price up. Also if enough people steal disney will just get rid of the mugs all together which would also affect many of us. Also simple morality says stealing is wrong, I'm sure you would have a problem if people stole from you.

Your right, ill definetly have a problem with someone stealing from me.Its impossible for anyone to know the reason why certain things go up in price at disney,besides the usual increase of prices yearly, so for someone to specifiy why something goes up or what factor into what cost is totally bogus, thats unless your a disney insider.Thats like saying because some people lie about there kids age(which by the way i dont condone) factor's into the price we pay for park tickets lol. For example,with a 13.99 mug i can easy drink 50 dollars of powerade over a 7 day period at disney,ill say thats a win for me and not disney.Which brings me to the point i was trying to make, bringing the old mug back thing doesnt effect disney or the consumer,if it did disney would have been crack down on it. I guess when the mugs go from 13.99 to 14.99 next year that will be due to people bringing there old mug back huh lol? Like i said before no way shape or form do i condone stealing from anyone,me and my family buy a new mug everytime we go, but the old mug thing is clearly not effecting me or my family so why should i care.

Upvote 0

tmack8983

I don't think you understand business. When people steal it affects the price of everything. I'm sure Disney knows many will reuse their mugs so they factor it into the price we pay. Every company estimates the amount of money they will lose from theft and adds that money back into the price of the object. SO it does affect everyone because it drives the price up. Also if enough people steal disney will just get rid of the mugs all together which would also affect many of us. Also simple morality says stealing is wrong, I'm sure you would have a problem if people stole from you.

Your right, ill definetly have a problem with someone stealing from me.Its impossible for anyone to know the reason why certain things go up in price at disney,besides the usual increase of prices yearly, so for someone to specifiy why something goes up or what factor into what cost is totally bogus, thats unless your a disney insider.Thats like saying because some people lie about there kids age(which by the way i dont condone) factor's into the price we pay for park tickets lol. For example,with a 13.99 mug i can easy drink 50 dollars of powerade over a 7 day period at disney,ill say thats a win for me and not disney.Which brings me to the point i was trying to make, bringing the old mug back thing doesnt effect disney or the consumer,if it did disney would have been crack down on it. I guess when the mugs go from 13.99 to 14.99 next year that will be due to people bringing there old mug back huh lol? Like i said before no way shape or form do i condone stealing from anyone,me and my family buy a new mug everytime we go, but the old mug thing is clearly not effecting me or my family so why should i care.

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Wow, who could have seen the thread going down this path yet again? I for one am flummoxed......

facepalm_anim_test-03.gif

Upvote 0

420WDW MONSTER

Whoooooo cares, i dont understand why people make such a big deal about certain things that has nothing to do with them.Dont get me wrong i dont condone stealing, but if someone wants to bring an old mug to disney,so what, thats there business, if they get caught , thats on them, im pretty sure they know the consequences of there act.If it was such a big problem im pretty sure disney would have cracked down on it already.I think some people are just mad because there not gutsy enough to do it, thats the only reason why i can think that someone would have a problem with someone else bringing back an old mug,when it clearly has nothing to do with them.Who cares if a parent wants to take there kids out of school for a disney trip,thats there prerogative. If everybody minded there own business,and worried about there own families the world would be a better place.

im with ya buddy!! i think i'll take my mug on future trips to see if i can get free soda
oh no that my bring down the disney company!!!

Upvote 0

420WDW MONSTER

haven't u ever heard steal from the rich and give to me.......i meen the poor

disneys own everything, escpecially your money. the people that care about people taking sodas are the people that are willing to hand over all thier money to disney anyways. when u don't have money to go to disney in the first place u cut corners, so what if your kid is 2 for another year or u filled up your big gulp at diffrent resort.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

disneys own everything, escpecially your money. the people that care about people taking sodas are the people that are willing to hand over all thier money to disney anyways. when u don't have money to go to disney in the first place u cut corners, so what if your kid is 2 for another year or u filled up your big gulp at diffrent resort.

Wow. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Original Poster
Wow, who could have seen the thread going down this path yet again? I for one am flummoxed......

Lol I certainly didn't intend this... I really didn't know what the legendary "refillable mug" debate was about. It could have died after a one-post answer.

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Original Poster

Sorry, but weren't you the one who said in another thread that you were going to take your borderline-failing brother out of high school to go to WDW for a week? And I imagine that the "420" in your username is a reference to illicit drug use?

One might suggest that if you "don't have money to go to Disney in the first place," you might decide NOT to go to Disney, rather than condone (even endorse) theft.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom