"What's Next?" presentation December 7th

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
i really, really think people are expecting far too much from this "announcement".
People do this every single time. A run of the mill press conference designed to fill in the 99% of the world's population that does not eat, sleep and breath Disney of the current goings on at the parks, somehow evolves to an impending announcement of the 5th gate, world wide monorail expansion and a new Disney park on the moon.

tomman710

People do this every single time. A run of the mill press conference designed to fill in the 99% of the world's population that does not eat, sleep and breath Disney of the current goings on at the parks, somehow evolves to an impending announcement of the 5th gate, world wide monorail expansion and a new Disney park on the moon.

Yea but the new Disney Park on the Moon is just getting a clone of Carsland and Tomorrowland ... so lame.

GLaDOS

Yea. I get that everyone is desperate for news about what's next...but in the past 5 years, Disney has made it pretty obvious that this stuff is just there for hyping what's opening.

And I don't see them rolling out something big when they have a D23 Expo to fill.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yea. I get that everyone is desperate for news about what's next...but in the past 5 years, Disney has made it pretty obvious that this stuff is just there for hyping what's opening.

And I don't see them rolling out something big when they have a D23 Expo to fill.
Exactly. I have been actively following the mouse for a decade and it is a very rare event where there is a legitimate surprise at a planned press conference or even a D23 event for that matter. For the most they tend to either confirm what we already know or at best fill in a few gaps in knowledge, but out of the blue announcements like Avatar are truly rare.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Exactly. I have been actively following the mouse for a decade and it is a very rare event where there is a legitimate surprise at a planned press conference or even a D23 event for that matter. For the most they tend to either confirm what we already know or at best fill in a few gaps in knowledge, but out of the blue announcements like Avatar are truly rare.

You have a point, Yoda? Can I still dream, though? haha seriously, the more and more I think about it, I do think it will be for the remainder of NFE that we know some about but not all. Probably the Tangled area, new PP que, more about the SDMT and other little things.... however, I still WANT them to take the politically savvy route and be, like I said earlier: "You like what you see? You know you do! There is more on the horizon!" haha I want it to be like an episode of Oprah's favorite things: "And you get an expansion! And you get an expansion!"

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You have a point, Yoda? Can I still dream, though? haha seriously, the more and more I think about it, I do think it will be for the remainder of NFE that we know some about but not all. Probably the Tangled area, new PP que, more about the SDMT and other little things.... however, I still WANT them to take the politically savvy route and be, like I said earlier: "You like what you see? You know you do! There is more on the horizon!" haha I want it to be like an episode of Oprah's favorite things: "And you get an expansion! And you get an expansion!"
Of course you can still dream and if that was all it was I would never even mention it. The problem is dreams of this kind eventually evolve into expectation and when those expectations to not come to fruition the become disappointment and anger. My only aim it to try and spare a few from that inevitable conclusion.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Of course you can still dream and if that was all it was I would never even mention it. The problem is dreams of this kind eventually evolve into expectation and when those expectations to not come to fruition the become disappointment and anger. My only aim it to try and spare a few from that inevitable conclusion.

I understand, I have no expectations though. Seriously I don't. It's really more of me armchair-Imagineering than anything else haha

GeorgiaPinesRJB

cynic710

GeorgiaPinesRJB

whats funny is how he says "I think I need a twin to keep up with all the fun!" i wonder if thats subliminal for carsland, as its a twin of carsland west?!? man i am digging way too deep..

You may be searching a little BUT that doesn't mean we can't read between the lines...

GeorgiaPinesRJB

disneyblogs????????

It was in another thread. If I can find the link I will. The official Disney park blog or whatever, they were talking about BoG opening and someone commented something along the lines of "any hints about the new expansions coming up for DHS" and the lady who wrote the piece for the blog commented saying something like: "it's really exciting but I can't say much."

afar28

We probably shouldn't expect anything big, but we can hope. It seems as if their is a lot of hinting of something big coming.

RSoxNo1

Really? I haven't heard that beyond a few vague guesses on fan forums. But it doesn't matter. Avatar was announced in 9/11 as coming to DAK and other Disney parks around the globe (that part will never happen!), so if they finally decide to show some art of what we're all supposed to believe is an ongoing project, how is that an 'announcement'?
We all know that the September 2011 announcement (sorry, that reads better to me than 9/11). Was just what you said, "we reached an agreement but we don't know what we're doing." Now they can pretend they know what they're doing. Having said that, I would be shocked if they gave a time frame for construction.

I would be very surprised if Carsland gets announced as it would immediately upstage everything Disney is opening and/or planning for WDW. Announcements like that would be saved for D23's Expo. The parade info (both) is a given and I could see those shows possibly being announced (but certainly not guaranteed as the Studios project is in essence a complete makeover a la DCA and they may want all of that to come out in one shot).

If they wait to announce Carsland until next August, I would have to believe that construction would begin before then. I understand that this is a loaded question, but the date for the D23 expo was set before the decision was made to greenlight Carsland, why wait until an arbitrary date just to have a grand reveal? Yes, people were disappointed at the last D23 expo because nothing new was announced, but if there's nothing to announce that's actually what we're upset about, not really the timing of it.

If they want to hold back and leave DHS into one grand reveal in August, I would expect that there would be a teaser of sorts on December 7th. Something like:
"We have major expansion plans for DHS but we're still finalizing the details. While that happens we will be closing Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Lights Motors Action and Studio Backlot Tour at different times in 2013 to prepare for this new $800 million (random number) investment into new attractions at DHS."

At this point the charade is silly. We're seeing that now at Universal Studios, it's well established that Transformers is being built and it's well established that the London portion of Harry Potter is being built. The only thing Universal has accomplished by not announcing this is giving Robert Niles a ridiculous amount of traffic on New Years Eve when the Gringotts Coaster info leaked. It also took attention away from the One More Disney Day announcement.

WDW1974

Many outside of Disney believe that's exactly what they plan on doing; especially down the road(both Universal and SeaWorld). Where I stand, which is more on the SeaWorld side of things, they fully expect Disney to come out with something about Avatar. So much so, that they have been getting a ton more Empire of the Penguins goodies ready for fans. There is a big blitz coming from them in the not to distant future. They are determined to not be overshadowed by Transformers.

Now like I said, Im seeing it from SeaWorld's POV. But as far as everything Ive been told, which has been all year, Avatar has been chugging forward full steam. They apparently got most, if not all, the survey work done and are just getting the logistics of building down on paper. Either that or they have SeaWorld and Universal completely fooled. Cause SeaWorld has been having tons of meetings recently about if they should delay their next big thing till 2017 to avoid competing with Pandora. Which is a big deal, since the year delay will probably cost SWO a nice chunk of change. Not that the whole thing wont already, but still.

I don't know what's going on inside of SW much these days, but it seems like their just biting on Disney PR.

All you have to do is look at reality: if Disney indeed moves forward on Pandora: Land of the Blue Alien Sex Kittens (use FP+ to arrange lap dances while on a dragon 180 days in advance when staying at a select WDW Resort!) when do you think it would open? It is taking Disney FIVE years to complete work on a relatively modest Fantasyland project. So, say construction starts on 1/1/13 (it won't, but say it will), five years out takes you to 2018 (if they really speed things up, perhaps 2017). Of course, if problems between Cameron and WDI persist or if he gets tied up in his films, maybe it's 2019 or 2020 before we get the chance to ride Soarin 2.0: Over or Under or Around the Pandoran Mountains.

You do realize what UNI will have open by then, right? About another five top notch E-Ticket (or better) attractions in two parks, as many as three new resort hotels and a water park.

So, if SW is waiting on Disney, which I don't believe it is, that is entirely the wrong business strategy, while UNI is showing the way to do it!

WDW1974

Somebody's pulling the wool over seaworlds eyes, yes survey work has been done, but all the surveying in the world doesn't matter when the two sides can't get together and decide what's actually going to be put there and at what cost. From what I hear if this gets done it won't be for along time. BTW no one lights a fire under Cameron, fox let him take his time for titanic,avatar,the abyss, and every other feature he's made for them, do you actually think they want to kill the golden goose. Is fox mad no, are they frustrated, yes. But they also know they've been thru this numerous times and only didn't have a humongous hit once. Cameron can do what he wants when he wants, it's in the contracts. Believe if Cameron is not there when the first art for his project is shown its a really bad sign. Read between the lines.

Pandorans and Earthlings alike: READ THE ABOVE!

Cameron is a species all to himself, and he ain't afraid of anyone at Disney from Bob Iger on down.

WDW1974

If the land is essentially dead, why even bother?

I don't know that I'd say essentially dead. People have worked on it ... are working? But last I heard was that it was moving at a snail's pace and no one had much enthusiasm or thought it would happen and that Cameron was shooting down everything Glendale was tossing at him.

If California is stepping in and making decisions for TDO, shouldn't they nix this plan too?

California made the plans for Avatar to begin with. TDO had no say on it. They still don't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom