"What's Next?" presentation December 7th

flynnibus

Premium Member
Actually when Disneyland first opened the imagineers would tell Arrow what they wanted. The mechanical aspect was Arrow but the idea itself was all Disney.

Lets take a prime example... the Matterhorn... Disney knew they wanted a roller coaster.. it was Arrow who made it the world's first tubular steel coaster. You were bringing up all these technical innovations to put WDI on a pedestal... Disney stands on the shoulders of others too.

You failed to understand when people pointed out to you that many of the competing design firms today are actually top imagineers who left or were laid off from Disney. Disney has a great design firm in house - no doubt. But you've fallen so hard for the mystic that you have shut out the details. Don't let your aspirations cloud your vision.

You sound like another enthusiastic teen who has soaked up everything they can get their hands on around their family. You know more than anyone in your family or circle of friends about Disney. That's all great, but don't think you've seen all there is to see and understand behind every 'mystic' there normally is a gritty reality that isn't as seamless and perfect as the company brochure would lead you to believe. Keep researching, keep expanding - but don't idolize or put people on pedestals. That normally is a distortion, not a reality.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Design For Fun By Bob Gurr.
It's sitting right next to me.
Talks all about Disney and Arrows connection with an in depth look at the Flying Saucers. They asked arrow to do it, they struggled so he went and helped.
Nah. Roller Coasters, Flumes and Flying Saucers. Read that for an eye opener.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I feel bad for you mate. You stress yourself out by sayin life is hard and don't even bother seeing things from a better perspective. You say everything worked out good, but did it? Your spending your time trying to crush a 15 year olds dream online. I'll appreciate your perspective on life if you appreciate mine, sound fair?

No reason to feel bad for me, I am perfectly happy with my life the way it is, very little stress in my life. I am in no way trying to crush your dreams, just trying to impart some helpful advice. If you are unwilling to listen to advice from your elders you won't make it very far in life.

lazyboy97o

I do have back up plans like Movie World here in Australia or starting my own design buisness
Movie World works with a model much closer to Universal's than Disney's. The park hires other companies to do the design work, there is no real Movie World equivalent of Walt Disney Imagineering. Starting your own "design business" is also not the solid plan you're trying to sound like you have, and its okay not to have some detailed plan. What kind of design do you want to do? How do you convince people you know what you're doing? You're going to have to gaine experience somewhere. And let's say you do get your own company, if you want to do work that'll attract Disney's attention it'll mean getting hired by others as a contractor, such as Universal Creative or even Walt Disney Imagineering.

Pixiedustmaker

You talk about the good part of being and Imagineer, but how would you feel about your job if you kept coming up with incredible innovative ideas that would make millions of guests happy, but were never allowed to build any of them, or were constantly told to build it but with half the money it requires?

This seems like a nice way to live you life, but unless you are realistic you are just setting yourself up for major disappointment. Yes, you should never give up, but you should also not live under the mistaken illusion that "you always succeed", because that's not the world we live in. As you get older you will understand.

I kind of get the impression that some posters on this site will pick a side of an issue, any issue, and debate away with the goal of trying to "win" the argument.

But seriously, trying to convince a 15 year old that their dreams for becoming an imagineer aren't realistic? What's the goal? Do you want him to say that this thread woke him up to reality and that he will give up his dream? Sure, he admits he has more realistic plans, but everybody is entitled to a dream.

All of the uber successful people I know are *very* optimstic and goal oriented.

This thread is supposed to be about the December 7th presentation, not attacking a 15 year old.

Pixiedustmaker

No reason to feel bad for me, I am perfectly happy with my life the way it is, very little stress in my life. I am in no way trying to crush your dreams, just trying to impart some helpful advice. If you are unwilling to listen to advice from your elders you won't make it very far in life.

Woah. Sounds like a 1950's era admonishment about deferring to your elders.

"If you are unwilling to listen to advice from your elders you won't make it very far in life." I'd expect to see this written on a fortune cookie.

I must have missed the "advice" beyond telling the 15 year old that he/she is in store for a "rude awakening". More hazing like behavior than real advice.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I kind of get the impression that some posters on this site will pick a side of an issue, any issue, and debate away with the goal of trying to "win" the argument

But seriously, trying to convince a 15 year old that their dreams for becoming an imagineer aren't realistic? What's the goal? Do you want him to say that this thread woke him up to reality and that he will give up his dream? Sure, he admits he has more realistic plans, but everybody is entitled to a dream.

All of the uber successful people I know are *very* optimstic and goal oriented.

This thread is supposed to be about the December 7th presentation, not attacking a 15 year old.

As I said, I am not trying to get him to give up his dream, just trying encourage him to look at life a little more realistically. I personally feel having a little more balanced, realistic view on life makes things easier. If one anonymous poster on a message board managed to get him to give up on his dream, then he had no hope of achieving it to begin with. He is going to have to deal with comments much harsher then anything I have posted to get where he wants to be.

afar28

Could we get this thread back on the topic please?
Anyway, do you think that Universals Transformers announcement affected Dsienys December 7th announcement?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Woah. Sounds like a 1950's era admonishment about deferring to your elders.

"If you are unwilling to listen to advice from your elders you won't make it very far in life." I'd expect to see this written on a fortune cookie.

I must have missed the "advice" beyond telling the 15 year old that he/she is in store for a "rude awakening". More hazing like behavior than real advice.

I never said anyone should defer to their elders, I said you should be willing to at least listen to what they say.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Anyway, do you think that Universals Transformers announcement affected Dsienys December 7th announcement?

I apologize for my contribution to thread drift....

I think if Universal had announced more, then it might have had an effect, but they only announced Transformers. I wasn't expecting the Potter announcement but was surprised that they didn't announce a little more.

menamechris

You won't always succeed, everyone has to fail before they get anywhere in life. But it's up to the person if they can pick them self up from that failure and keep trying or settle or a normal life. As I've said earlier, please don't judge me by my age. It's the reason I wanted to avoid stating it. I understand the real world. I know about bills and economy and how the odds of me ever being an imagineer are extremely slim! But that's no reason to give up. Life is as hard as you make it. I follow the same rules in life as I do when I design...

Nothing is hard when you think of it in a simple way.

And I promise you if you try that, it will solve all of your problems!

I remember being taught this as a kid too. Then you get older and face the realization that there ARE people who never fail. They are typically children of 1%'ers. Although, I shouldn't say they never fail. They will often times go on to fail at their marriages, relationships, parenting duties, philanthropic responsibilities, and even business responsibilities, but that will typically be while having a job that you dreaming of having - usually because their dad knows a guy who knows the head guy who can make it happen. You can work as hard as you can - and yes, many many people succeed through hard work and a positive outlook. But that is (by far) never a guarantee that you can have whatever you put your mind to. Unfortunately, life, our world, and social politics get in the way.

HMF

I kind of get the impression that some posters on this site will pick a side of an issue, any issue, and debate away with the goal of trying to "win" the argument.

I don't feel that some of us are saying his dream is unrealistic. More saying that even if the dream is fulfilled WDI is still a toxic and frustrating place to work.

lazyboy97o

None at all. Just like we knew it was Transformers so did Disney. The only addition I would expect to come the past week is maybe a mention that Star Wars Weekends will be expanded in some form (something like more "stars" from the show, more merchandise and maybe even down the line ComicCon type panels discussing the new films).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't feel that some of us are saying his dream is unrealistic. More saying that even if the dream is fulfilled WDI is still a toxic and frustrating place to work.

Exactly this. He seems to be open to other paths to do what he wants to do in life so I think it's completely realistic he will be able to do something along those lines. The fact that he knows what he wants at 15 is commendable, there are a lot of people twice his age that still don't know what they want to do with their lives. You just need to be prepared when the things you imagined in your dreams turn out to be a lot different in reality.

RSoxNo1

I like the locker system (as long as its free) - it takes so much of the unknown out and you don't have to worry about anything getting thrown around, or 'will it fit', etc. Instead of skirting the problem, it just addresses it head on and solves it. I like it.
Lockers on water rides, Rip Ride Rockit, and Forbidden Journey make sense. If it meant forcing people to empty their pockets so that Dragon Challenge actually dueled again then I suppose I could accept that too, but I look at attractions that have the on ride pouches as significantly more convenient.

WED99

Lets take a prime example... the Matterhorn... Disney knew they wanted a roller coaster.. it was Arrow who made it the world's first tubular steel coaster. You were bringing up all these technical innovations to put WDI on a pedestal... Disney stands on the shoulders of others too.

You failed to understand when people pointed out to you that many of the competing design firms today are actually top imagineers who left or were laid off from Disney. Disney has a great design firm in house - no doubt. But you've fallen so hard for the mystic that you have shut out the details. Don't let your aspirations cloud your vision.

You sound like another enthusiastic teen who has soaked up everything they can get their hands on around their family. You know more than anyone in your family or circle of friends about Disney. That's all great, but don't think you've seen all there is to see and understand behind every 'mystic' there normally is a gritty reality that isn't as seamless and perfect as the company brochure would lead you to believe. Keep researching, keep expanding - but don't idolize or put people on pedestals. That normally is a distortion, not a reality.
I know there are a lot of people on the forum who know heaps more than me, but I know my stuff when it comes to this topic. I read the book a matter of weeks ago. Bob Gurr was the one who designed the tubular steel coaster idea and he also did all the track layout in the Matterhorn. All without and engineering degree!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom