"What's Next?" presentation December 7th

nytimez

If your gonna call me clueless say it to me not someone else.

Oh, it was said to you too. That's how group conversations -- aka message boards -- work. If I just wanted to say it to someone else, I would use the PM function, which is another feature of this and other message boards.

All I can say is you're getting some good advice here -- and I can't speak for others, but I'm pretty sure most of it is meant to be informative and is delivered with no malice, even if you don't like the message or how its delivered.

Save this thread and come back here someday. There are some people in it you may want to thank later, and I don't count myself among them.

WED99

Oh, it was said to you too. That's how group conversations -- aka message boards -- work. If I just wanted to say it to someone else, I would use the PM function, which is another feature of this and other message boards.

All I can say is you're getting some good advice here -- and I can't speak for others, but I'm pretty sure most of it is meant to be informative and is delivered with no malice, even if you don't like the message of the delivery message.

Save this thread and come back here someday. There are some people in it you may want to thank later, and I don't count myself among them.
You quoted some one else and said "he's clueless" that's not talking to me. And yeh the advice is great. I reveal my age and suddenly everyone is high and mighty telling me my dreams won't be fulfilled. I don't care anymore, I tried to change the discussion so please stay on topic.

menamechris

All I can say is you're getting some good advice here -- and I can't speak for others, but I'm pretty sure most of it is meant to be informative and is delivered with no malice, even if you don't like the message of the delivery message.

This. Not to beat a dead horse, but I think a 15 year old is a good age to be introduced to some hard truths about life and our world. Dreams, aspirations, and goals are important, even critical, to an individual's success. However, a dose of realism should be digested as you become a young adult. I was a child of the 80's and 90's where we were force fed the "Good feelings/vibrations, positive thinking, and following your dreams will make them all come true".

If an adult sat down and gave me some of the advice that is being given right now - maybe I wouldn't have wasted years in college on a degree that was going to get me nowhere - or spent years in a relationship that clearly destined to fail, but I kept "believing and hoping" it would fix itself. Or spent years in a job, refusing to believe it was a dead end, because I couldn't accept that I just wasn't in the right crowd or class to get where I dreamed of being. My 20's were rough. If I could get those years back knowing what I know now - things would be different. The advice being given here is golden. It could seriously save years of wasted time, energy, and low self-esteem because things aren't going the way you dreamed.

There is a time and place for these lessons to be learned. Some dreams come true. But some dreams are far better in our imaginations than how they play out in real life.

lazyboy97o

I reveal my age and suddenly everyone is high and mighty telling me my dreams won't be fulfilled. I don't care anymore, I tried to change the discussion so please stay on topic.
Nobody is telling you that you're dreams will not be fulfilled. You're being given great advice on how to achieve your dream, but because it is built on changing your perceptions you're reacting negatively.

WED99

Greatness is only achieved by clinging on to impossible dreams. Don't let reality beat out the wonder of the twelve year old in you, nor the independence of the fifteen year old, nor the idealism of the nineteen year old.

Keep it, all of that, and grow by adding layers of realism, experience, toughness brought on by hardship.
Finally someone who knows what they're talking about!

WED99

Nobody is telling you that you're dreams will not be fulfilled. You're being given great advice on how to achieve your dream, but because it is built on changing your perceptions you're reacting negatively.
Maybe because people managed to turn my debate about Universal into advice for me. Do you think I care what randoms on the Internet say about my life? I'm done talking about it, I already know about realism. I just have a simpler way of putting it. I suggest you don't reply to this because honestly I don't care, and that's to everyone else as well

Pixiedustmaker

If an adult sat down and gave me some of the advice that is being given right now - maybe I wouldn't have wasted years in college on a degree that was going to get me nowhere - or spent years in a relationship that clearly destined to fail, but I kept "believing and hoping" it would fix itself. Or spent years in a job, refusing to believe it was a dead end, because I couldn't accept that I just wasn't in the right crowd or class to get where I dreamed of being. My 20's were rough. If I could get those years back knowing what I know now - things would be different. The advice being given here is golden. It could seriously save years of wasted time, energy, and low self-esteem because things aren't going the way you dreamed.

That's the conundrum of middle age. You have to make peace with the decisions you made back in your youth, and certainly you'd like to have a time machine to go back and fix these problems. Nonetheless, you can't "give" your insight (into your problems) to a younger person by in essence telling them that the world is not a big ball of cookie dough.

What is your advice specifically? I think we should recognize that not much "golden" advice was given in this thread. Simply that the 15 year old was being too optimistic? There is a difference between actionable intelligence, good advice, and simply chastising somebody for being as idealistic as you were.

Are you saying you reached too far for the stars and that future you should have told young you that you wouldn't amount to as much as you hoped? Kind of depressing.

Also, young you spent years in a relationship destined to fail. So, future you tells young you to date somebody else . . . but the young you still is less mature, despite this advice. Some folks need a relationship to fail so they can learn from it and do better next time.

Pixiedustmaker

Maybe because people managed to turn my debate about Universal into advice for me. Do you think I care what randoms on the Internet say about my life? I'm done talking about it, I already know about realism. I just have a simpler way of putting it. I suggest you don't reply to this because honestly I don't care, and that's to everyone else as well

They aren't mad at you, they don't know you! Really, they are projecting their disappoints with their past failings on to you, in essence, they are upset with some of the decisions they made in their youth.

menamechris

That's the conundrum of middle age. You have to make peace with the decisions you made back in your youth, and certainly you'd like to have a time machine to go back and fix these problems. Nonetheless, you can't "give" your insight (into your problems) to a younger person by in essence telling them that the world is not a big ball of cookie dough.

What is your advice specifically? I think we should recognize that not much "golden" advice was given in this thread. Simply that the 15 year old was being too optimistic? There is a difference between actionable intelligence, good advice, and simply chastising somebody for being as idealistic as you were.

Are you saying you reached too far for the stars and that future you should have told young you that you wouldn't amount to as much as you hoped? Kind of depressing.

Also, young you spent years in a relationship destined to fail. So, future you tells young you to date somebody else . . . but the young you still is less mature, despite this advice. Some folks need a relationship to fail so they can learn from it and do better next time.

You are the king of obviousness around here lately...

menamechris

They aren't mad at you, they don't know you! Really, they are projecting their disappoints with their past failings on to you, in essence, they are upset with some of the decisions they made in their youth.

Aren't you the same age as him? I was under the impression you were a teenager as well... Something in another thread about not being able to vote yet?

WED99

Your a very wise person Pixiedustmaker, hold onto that. And thank you for helping!

Pixiedustmaker

I was a child of the 80's and 90's where we were force fed the "Good feelings/vibrations, positive thinking, and following your dreams will make them all come true".

If an adult sat down and gave me some of the advice that is being given right now - maybe I wouldn't have wasted years in college on a degree that was going to get me nowhere - or spent years in a relationship that clearly destined to fail, but I kept "believing and hoping" it would fix itself. Or spent years in a job, refusing to believe it was a dead end, because I couldn't accept that I just wasn't in the right crowd or class to get where I dreamed of being. My 20's were rough.

I'm not a millennial, but all I've read about this generations seems to indicate that the millennials are more concerned about helping others than those who grew up in the "Me" decade of the 1980's, and who knows what those raised during the 1990's think. I think the brat pack films, and a lot about the 1980's and 1990's glorified unhealthy self-absorption.

As Steve Jobs said, death is life's greatest invention. The obsolete models are removed to make way for the new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom