Whats a more impressive nighttime show: Fantasmic Or Illuminations

donaldfan

Dont get me wrong I Love Illuminations. But I am so bored with the middle section of the show. From most of the viewing area you cant see a major component of the show. Yes you can make out a few pictures on the globe but most people just dont get the story. If you have to explain the story beforehand then that means something is wrong with it. I do believe Illuminations has a deeper story and a better sountrack than Fantasmic. But with Fantasmic (which I hate the version in WDW) you dont have to explain the story to anyone. I would have to say that Fantasmic is a better WOW factor than Illuminations.

It's very abstract -- I don't think someone will necessarily get the idea that the first part is the bing bang the first time they see it, for example, as they're watching it. Just because something is not so literal or narrated doesn't make something wrong with it.

dxwwf3

It's very abstract -- I don't think someone will necessarily get the idea that the first part is the bing bang the first time they see it, for example, as they're watching it. Just because something is not so literal or narrated doesn't make something wrong with it.

That's true, but I agree with him that the globe scene just bores me to death. It drags on for far too long and really takes me out of the show.

donaldfan

agreed! not only are there gasps during that part, but when Sorcerer Mickey appear at the top of the mountain, the crowd erupts with cheers and applause. The fireworks start flying, the music kicks in, and I get choked up everytime! Sure Illuminations gives you a few "oohs" and "aahs", but I don't understand why everyone gets so emotional over it. The effects and fireworks are great, but as an overall show, I don't think Fantasmic can be beat at any park.

People "ohhh" and "ahhh" over the inferno barge everytime I've seen it, when the earth globe appears I see camera flashes and cell phone cameras pop-up everywhere, and the place always erupts in applause after 'Celebration' and 'Meaning/We Go On'.

MamaMunk

I don't think Fantasmic and Illuminations are on the same level. One is a fireworks show the other is a stage show.

I do enjoy Illuminations, my favorite part is the blowing out of the torches in the beginning. But then I feel there is nothing else to look forward to. It is a touching and good show... the first time. After that it gets old and drawn out. I think it's time for an update at Epcot (10 years + with the same show). Don't get me wrong it is a very impressive show.

I prefer Fantasmic, no contest. It's, as everyone else has said, very Disney. There's nothing more amazing than standing away from the crowd and hearing the reaction when Mickey pops up in the beginning. There's things in the show that make you go "how'd they do that." And there's a classic good vs evil plot. I could never get sick of watching it, there's always something new to see!

kengels

Illuminations: Reflections Of Earth

Pros:
1.) Viewing Space. You can easily see the show from anywhere in the World Showcase, including boats and restraunts.

2.) Fireworks. This show is all about fireworks, and with a 1,000 firework finale that leaves everyone cheering for more.

3.) Music. Just breathtaking.

4.) Fire and Fountains. Enough said.

Cons:
1.) Smoke. Due to the amount of fire and fireworks, there will be a lot of smoke. But if you're standing in the right place, all will be fine. However, this is why there is a "cool-down" part, with the globe.

Fantasmic!

Pros:
1.) Characters. You want Mickey and all your other friends? Come see this show.

2.) Water Screen. There is a nice water-screen effect in this show.

Cons:
1.) Seating. There is only limited seating, and if there are no more seats you must stand. Worst of all, you have to LINE UP in order to get in.

2.) Confusing. I honestly feel this show is very confusing. How can other people invade your dreams? Come on.

Smoke isn't a problem if you go to the weather section on this site to see what the wind direction is. :rolleyes:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/weather_current.htm

dxwwf3

I do enjoy Illuminations, my favorite part is the blowing out of the torches in the beginning. But then I feel there is nothing else to look forward to. It is a touching and good show... the first time. After that it gets old and drawn out. I think it's time for an update at Epcot (10 years + with the same show). Don't get me wrong it is a very impressive show.

Well said! Even though I'm hard on the show, I still enjoy it somewhat, but it's not a must see on every trip for us. And yes I think Epcot is due a new fireworks show.

DDuckFan130

I really enjoy Illuminations, but Fantasmic will always be my favorite hands-down. Illuminations (sorry for all of you who love it :lookaroun) bores me in the middle, but maybe I just need to see it more. By the same token, I can say the best parts of Fantasmic are the beginning and especially the end. Nothing says Disney like Fantasmic, especially the last part. I always get goosebumps. Illuminations, not so much. The soundtrack is nice, but I guess I need to give it another chance :shrug:

MamaMunk brought up something important- crowd reactions. I still have a huge grin on my face when I hear people "ooh" and "ahh" over Mickey Mouse. It makes my many times seeing it worth it each time :D

Pabgo

I don't think Fantasmic and Illuminations are on the same level. One is a fireworks show the other is a stage show.

I prefer Fantasmic, no contest. It's, as everyone else has said, very Disney. There's nothing more amazing than standing away from the crowd and hearing the reaction when Mickey pops up in the beginning. There's things in the show that make you go "how'd they do that." And there's a classic good vs evil plot. I could never get sick of watching it, there's always something new to see!

10 + years? I'm pretty sure that it just started in 2000 during the Millineum (sp?) celebration. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

MamaMunk

10 + years? I'm pretty sure that it just started in 2000 during the Millineum (sp?) celebration. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
I remember seeing at least some version of Illuminations the first time I went to Disney in '94. It might not have been the exact same show, but most of the same elements were in it. I often look back at pictures from that trip to see how things have changed, we have a few pics of the show in there. So according to my memory and the pictures, the fire barge, globe and water effects were there.

My memory serves me correct, the original show was IllumiNations. For the Millenium Celebration it was updated to Illuminations: Reflections of Earth
http://wdwmagic.com/illuminations.htm

ROEFan88

IllumiNations & IllumiNations: Reflections Of Earth - two entirely different shows, sharing only a name and location. The fire barge, globe and water effects were not there in 1994.

Consider that ROE is not the older of the two shows - Fantasmic premiered at MGM over a year before, and was a version of a show that started in 1992. Therefore, Epcot is in no greater need of and update than MGM.

Both shows are fantastic, but ROE rocks the most.

jaredliu

Illuminations is the most boring overrated show on property ni the opinion of myself and my family.
I agree Illuminations is the most overrated thing in WDW. Don't know what the fuss are all about. Can't see anything from the globe either. But fantasmic is no better especially when there is a far superior one in Disneyland.

EMThompsen

That's a tough choice but I think Illuminations wins out by a slim margin. Some folks have mentioned Wishes firworks which wasn't one of your 2 choices. I think that's the most magical show of all. I must say there's nothing to come close to the feeling you get ending your first visit to WDW with Wishes.

Mansion Butler

I agree Illuminations is the most overrated thing in WDW. Don't know what the fuss are all about. Can't see anything from the globe either. But fantasmic is no better especially when there is a far superior one in Disneyland.

I don't understand how "overrated" applies here. This is all based on opinion, so if more people like Illuminations, isn't it justifiably more highly rated?

People throw out overrated so quickly to dismiss something they don't like when it doesn't apply. That's like me saying Peter Pan's Flight is overrated because I personally don't like it.

Mansion Butler

It applies because weather or not it is overrated is based on opinion too and I think it is.

I think we're stretching the meaning of overrated. That means you don't like it as much as everyone else. For something with no quantitative value, there's no such think as an inaccurate rating among the masses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom