Whats a more impressive nighttime show: Fantasmic Or Illuminations

Epcotrob

Hands down, IllumiNations, from World Showcase Plaza - just get there 30 minutes before to get a good spot! Half of us normally go get a beer, while the other half stake out our viewing area. I always try to explain the story to someone before too, as I think you don't automatically get it the first time around.

(All nightime Disney entertainment if fabulous, my only other not miss hasn't been mentioned - SpectroMagic)

Dont get me wrong I Love Illuminations. But I am so bored with the middle section of the show. From most of the viewing area you cant see a major component of the show. Yes you can make out a few pictures on the globe but most people just dont get the story. If you have to explain the story beforehand then that means something is wrong with it. I do believe Illuminations has a deeper story and a better sountrack than Fantasmic. But with Fantasmic (which I hate the version in WDW) you dont have to explain the story to anyone. I would have to say that Fantasmic is a better WOW factor than Illuminations.

fudwrapper

Nowhere, during Illuminations, do you hear everyone in the World Shocase respond like they do in Fantasmic. For example, when the water screens first appear during Fantasmic, then entire theatre gasps (it is easily heard on every tape I've ever made).
:animwink:

agreed! not only are there gasps during that part, but when Sorcerer Mickey appear at the top of the mountain, the crowd erupts with cheers and applause. The fireworks start flying, the music kicks in, and I get choked up everytime! Sure Illuminations gives you a few "oohs" and "aahs", but I don't understand why everyone gets so emotional over it. The effects and fireworks are great, but as an overall show, I don't think Fantasmic can be beat at any park.

SallyShine

Both shows are awsome. Illuminations is a generic show that you could see anywhere. Fantasmic is all Disney. It just depends: do your guests want to see fireworks or do they want to see Mickey?

mhead

To each his own - but I would say hands down Fantasmic! Illuminations is the most boring overrated show on property ni the opinion of myself and my family. Fantasmic! is pure Disney magic! Second best show is Wishes! I do, however, agree that DL's Fantasmic! is even better.

lpet11984

Reflections of Earth are my favorite. Look at my myspace page.
http://www.myspace.com/mikey1025

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I love it! Whenever I need my ROE fix, I know just where to go! ;)

But with Fantasmic (which I hate the version in WDW) you dont have to explain the story to anyone.

Maybe you can explain the whole Pocahontas middle section in Fantasmic for me then...I've seen the show a half a dozen times and I still don't get it...Then again, maybe I need to watch the Disneyland version to really get it... :shrug: (Seriously, not trying to offend...I really don't understand the whole Pocahontas thing... :wave: )

I suppose what it all comes down to is personal preference- what your friends are more likely to connect with. It's obvious that different people connect with different shows. I will open handedly admit that I am partial to Illuminations for the musical score, choreography, and a message of unity among world cultures, but that is because I connect with those aspects more easily than I do with Fantasmic. Maybe because I am over 21, maybe because I am an arts supporter, etc. It's not to say I don't enjoy Fantasmic a great deal (wouldn't be a trip to Disney without it), but other people are more likely to connect with Fantasmic. And for good reason: because of all the characters, the well-done medley score, wonderful water effects, and a plethora of others.

So if you can see both, see both. If you have to pick one, pick the one that your guests are most likely to connect with.

kengels

If you want good fireworks, then Illuminations is your ticket. If you want water sprays with movies on them, Disney characters running about, and Mickey shooting sparklers out of his wand as the only source of fireworks, then Fantasmic is your ticket.

I personally enjoy Illuminations and Wishes over Fantismic, and I didn't need to here or know the story to Illuminations to enjoy it.

I found the Illumination story on AllEars Website http://www.allearsnet.com/ae/issue150.htm

kengels

First of all, I think your decision depends on the type of "newbies" that you are bringing to Disney World. Trust me, I've brought lots of people for their first time, and their reactions to the shows vary, typically by age. GENERALLY, people over the age of 35 tend to like Illuminations more than Fantasmic. Personally, I don't compare the two, because they are so different. I always bring people to Fantasmic the first night of their trip, mainly because I believe it holds a much higher "wow" factor than Illuminations. Nowhere, during Illuminations, do you hear everyone in the World Shocase respond like they do in Fantasmic. For example, when the water screens first appear during Fantasmic, then entire theatre gasps (it is easily heard on every tape I've ever made). So, I guess that I'm trying to say that I would choose Fantasmic. It's longer, with more types of effects. The story is much more developed than Illuminations, and the majority of the people that I've ever taken to Disney World tend to like Fantasmic the best.

:animwink:
You have gasps on your tape because everyone is crammed in the auditorium, where world showcase is 5 times the size of the Fantismic auditorium and I have heard people cheering during Illuminations. That’s impressive!

CX360

Illuminations: Reflections Of Earth

Pros:
1.) Viewing Space. You can easily see the show from anywhere in the World Showcase, including boats and restraunts.

2.) Fireworks. This show is all about fireworks, and with a 1,000 firework finale that leaves everyone cheering for more.

3.) Music. Just breathtaking.

4.) Fire and Fountains. Enough said.

Cons:
1.) Smoke. Due to the amount of fire and fireworks, there will be a lot of smoke. But if you're standing in the right place, all will be fine. However, this is why there is a "cool-down" part, with the globe.

Fantasmic!

Pros:
1.) Characters. You want Mickey and all your other friends? Come see this show.

2.) Water Screen. There is a nice water-screen effect in this show.

Cons:
1.) Seating. There is only limited seating, and if there are no more seats you must stand. Worst of all, you have to LINE UP in order to get in.

2.) Confusing. I honestly feel this show is very confusing. How can other people invade your dreams? Come on.

dxwwf3

Fantasmic by a mile. If we're talking original Illuminations, then it might be a different story. But for ROE vs. Fantasmic, I don't think it's even close.

donaldfan

Illuminations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course it all comes down to personal preference, but to me Illuminations is a stroke of genuis. Seems to get better every time.

I've watched it from many different points around the lagoon, but the spot I was in last time seemed to be the best. Just follow the main walkway from Future World back to the World Showcase and pretty much head straight for the water.

There is a fenced area that they open up about 5 minutes before the show starts where people must sit down to watch the show. When everyone rushes in, don't actually go in that area...just walk up as close as you can get to the fence and stand behind it for the show. With everyone sitting in front of you, you get a great view and it seems to be "center stage".

SHHHH -- don't tell everyone :zipit:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom