What will Disney announce for Disney World at the 2022 D23 expo?

RSoxNo1

I personally think the Excavator's time has passed and it was replaced with a better concept in Expedition Everest, but I agree that it would be an okay addition down the road as long as they build several other things first.

It just would not make sense as the next attraction at WDW right now -- it's not what DAK needs now and it's not really what WDW as a whole needs with Guardians just opening and TRON opening soon.
I agree... when you look at the expansion decisions for DAK there is a butterfly effect for many of the decisions. If Beastly Kingdom was built odds are you'd have the Excavator and no Everest. You also definitely wouldn't have Pandora.

I believe that after Everest, the plan was to add Mysterious Island to the park and again that would have probably meant no Pandora. I really enjoyed Mysterious Island in Tokyo, but I actually think Pandora is a better fit for DAK. I'd also argue that Pandora + Everest is a better combination than Beastly Kingdom and the Excavator.

RSoxNo1

I'd guess that without Beastly Kingdom they weren't going to do any dragon based attractions. I don't really know anything about that concept/ride so just speculating. They do a ton of boat cavalcades now though and still Kitetails randomly showing in the outdoor theater.
I think the obvious choice is to avoid European mythical animals thanks to Potter. However, if you want Dragons the most obvious way to do it would be a Ta Lo / Shang Chi attraction. I had hypothesized an Asian influenced mythical animal area around Everest that would see the Everest & Shang Chi area be reclassified as a new land separate from Kali's Asia.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree... when you look at the expansion decisions for DAK there is a butterfly effect for many of the decisions. If Beastly Kingdom was built odds are you'd have the Excavator and no Everest. You also definitely wouldn't have Pandora.

I believe that after Everest, the plan was to add Mysterious Island to the park and again that would have probably meant no Pandora. I really enjoyed Mysterious Island in Tokyo, but I actually think Pandora is a better fit for DAK. I'd also argue that Pandora + Everest is a better combination than Beastly Kingdom and the Excavator.
I believe you’re way overthinking this

Park was massively over budget…so they cut/“rushed” to open before IOA…which was never a threat

Attendance was bad…”declined in 2001-02”…so they toss up dinorama

Eisner was under full on pressure/assault from Roy…so he greenlit Everest in 2003 to get pressure off his “cheap park” back

Universal nailed WWOHP and quickly announced expansion in 2010…and low and behold, big name Jim Cameron and his big movie bucks announced right after.

History tells the story…don’t see what isn’t there.

Last edited:

pdude81

I think the obvious choice is to avoid European mythical animals thanks to Potter. However, if you want Dragons the most obvious way to do it would be a Ta Lo / Shang Chi attraction. I had hypothesized an Asian influenced mythical animal area around Everest that would see the Everest & Shang Chi area be reclassified as a new land separate from Kali's Asia.
I've seen you mention the Shang Chi angle a few times, but unfortunately I haven't seen the film even though I am a D+ subscriber. I am definitely interested in it, but didn't seem like a priority like a lot of the other films that have come out. I'm not sure if that's a bit of Marvel burn-out or lack of marketing, but I feel like using the lesser comic book IP just makes it harder for Disney to ever get back the big dogs.

Dinosaurs are always cool, and kids love them. There is nothing that will compete with Jurassic Park, or the Camp Cretaceous shows on Netflix at this point though. If they want to demo Chester and Hester for a big coaster then ok, but honestly the random games everywhere in Universal show that people will burn money on that garbage. And when I'm at WDW there are always a good number of kids who really want to play those games at $5 a pop. The better money IMO is adding another stop on the train to make it an entrance to the expansion plot, and adding a land there. That would increase the utilization of RPW as well as giving an alternate entrance to this new land. I don't pretend to know how they'd add a normal walking path to enter as it would depend on the design, but that would pull people away from other parks and potentially keep regular visitors there longer.

Now that may be a pipe dream given the current regime, but honestly there is a chance here that Bob 2.0 finds the monetization aspect of G+ as a reason to build out capacity as a means to sell more line skips.

TheMaxRebo

While I don’t happen to like alot of the more thrill based rides of HS, I don’t get how you can say outside of attractions there is almost nothing to do?

Outside of attentions you have:
droid building
Light saber building
Indy show
Frozen sing along
Beauty and beast show
Cars show
Adding in the new Star Wars “game”

If anything it’s one other more balances attraction/experience parks

well, the droid and lightsabe building are a significant extra cost ... I do think they have solid shows (when all running - including missing streetmosphere)

and along with the shows they have a great lineup of e-ticket/high demand attractions, but I think they are missing more c-ticket rides, more "whole family" rides. You have the bigger ride and then some Disney Jr stuff, and a few family rides (MMRR, TSMM, etc) but not enough big dark rides - no Pirates, SSE, etc.

So it is a greatly improved mark, it is a much more "in demand" park, but I wouldn't use the word "complete" that the original post referenced

TheMaxRebo

Hollywood Studios is the most "lifeless" park with very little kinetic energy. Even SWGE lacks in this department. Citizens of Hollywood provided great kinetics.

sections of the park have it - Toy Story Land I think does ... Hollywood bvld still has a bit (though way more when the CoH were there) ... but I agree overall, a very high % of the attractions are indoors so you don't see as much movement

TheMaxRebo

This. I think that the Excavator concept is great and would really make Dinoland much stronger thematically by having a “real” dig site to tie into the Dino Institute- but it’s not what the park needs. DAK really needs indoor no height restriction rides. I agree that Mystic Manor or something similar to that would be great and address the parks deficiencies. I also think Pandora really needs a third attraction- even if a walk through or indoor show - in that area of the park.

Now if you add stuff elsewhere that are more family friendly and still have the plot in Dinoland, sure add the Excavator too.

Something like a Lion King or Jungle Book dark ride would be pretty cool and be a welcome addition

I love Mystic Manor - my favorite dark ride I have ever been on - but not sure the ride, as is, fits AK (unless just saying the ride system but with a different theme. Just not sure anything that is like a personal collection of artifacts taken from other areas really fits the theme of Animal Kingdom. Why Indiana Jones doesn't really fit either ... "it belongs in a museum" is like the opposite of the theme/mission statement of AK

dreday3

I'm not normally a fan of shows, random live entertainment, etc. I get why people like it, just not my thing.

But...one trip some of us went on Tower of Terror and I wasn't feeling so great so I skipped it.
I was sitting on the Blvd and Citizens of Hollywood came out and did this impromptu parade, where the guests just walking were the participants in the parade and Citizens did the commentary. It was hysterical! So many people just stopped and watched.
They really added to the energy of that park and it's missed.

TheMaxRebo

I've seen you mention the Shang Chi angle a few times, but unfortunately I haven't seen the film even though I am a D+ subscriber. I am definitely interested in it, but didn't seem like a priority like a lot of the other films that have come out. I'm not sure if that's a bit of Marvel burn-out or lack of marketing, but I feel like using the lesser comic book IP just makes it harder for Disney to ever get back the big dogs.

Dinosaurs are always cool, and kids love them. There is nothing that will compete with Jurassic Park, or the Camp Cretaceous shows on Netflix at this point though. If they want to demo Chester and Hester for a big coaster then ok, but honestly the random games everywhere in Universal show that people will burn money on that garbage. And when I'm at WDW there are always a good number of kids who really want to play those games at $5 a pop. The better money IMO is adding another stop on the train to make it an entrance to the expansion plot, and adding a land there. That would increase the utilization of RPW as well as giving an alternate entrance to this new land. I don't pretend to know how they'd add a normal walking path to enter as it would depend on the design, but that would pull people away from other parks and potentially keep regular visitors there longer.

Now that may be a pipe dream given the current regime, but honestly there is a chance here that Bob 2.0 finds the monetization aspect of G+ as a reason to build out capacity as a means to sell more line skips.

they could covert Dinosaur to a Shang Chi / Ta Lo ride though (minor spoiler, there are literally jeeps that go there so would be a relatively easy change) and with great animatronics, etc. it likely would be a hit ride even to people that have never seen Shang Chi and it would be a way to get Marvel into the parks more

A lot of people love Pandora / FoP that haven't seen/don't care for the movie

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Correct. It was a Potter Swatter (though perhaps without an actual 20K ride at first)
What’s funny about “potter swatter” is that they thought they ever had a plan to bring the draw/cost effectiveness/legs on that level on the books…somebody was sold a bill of goods at the “DAK desk” in burbank If that was the play. But I don’t doubt they were.

Now from a PR/risk management standpoint…a partnership made much more sense to a stiff collar like Bobby I.

I’ll say that Cameron and rohde did a pretty good job at it…less so with other IP/efforts

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom