What will Disney announce for Disney World at the 2022 D23 expo?

SplashJacket

I feel I may have started that rumour.
I think historically you have started a lot of the rumors, the ones with credence anyway

More recently there haven’t been as many rumors, partly because they haven’t been doing as much and partly because (as you’ve said yourself) you’ve somewhat lost interest.

Hopefully both waterways (new projects and your interest) become reinvigorated because it was always a joy to read the tidbits you’d drop

SpectreJordan

I disagree but to each their own.

I like the way the DHS layout is evolving, keeping the hollywood studios theme in the center/core of the park but using the outer edges for themed lands based on popular IPs. DHS is still the worst FL park imo, If they would expand to the NW quadrant and make another loop back to sunset, with a massive themed land to something Marvel, DHS would be a much better experience.
This would be my ideal announcement. I think the idea of old Hollywood branching out into the various IPs makes a lot of sense & would work well theming wise.

Animation Courtyard should definitely becomes a Marvel land that connects to Sunset Boulevard, retheming RNRC with it (better than what they did in Paris please). Just... put in more effort than what happened in California & Paris. It's insane that Marvel is the biggest IP in the world, it has 3 theme park lands & none of them have good theming. Just recreate NYC & had some superhero flair to it!

They can't use the big guns when it comes to Marvel. But I think Dr Strange, Shang-Chi, Ms Marvel, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Blade & a few others can be enough.

I'd like for them to add a mini-Indiana Jones land too. I'd keep the show and add a ride to make it a "land". I don't know how much land they'd have if they wanted to keep Star Tours though. I love that ride so it'd be hard to say bye to it... especially since I like it more than Falcon.

I think having the park center around Star Wars, Toy Story, Indiana Jones, Muppets & Marvel would be a good foundation. Then you have the entrance/Chinese Theater & Sunset Blvd/ToT as the Hollywood section.

SailorMercury

This would be my ideal announcement. I think the idea of old Hollywood branching out into the various IPs makes a lot of sense & would work well theming wise.

Animation Courtyard should definitely becomes a Marvel land that connects to Sunset Boulevard, retheming RNRC with it (better than what they did in Paris please). Just... put in more effort than what happened in California & Paris. It's insane that Marvel is the biggest IP in the world, it has 3 theme park lands & none of them have good theming. Just recreate NYC & had some superhero flair to it!

They can't use the big guns when it comes to Marvel. But I think Dr Strange, Shang-Chi, Ms Marvel, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Blade & a few others can be enough.

I'd like for them to add a mini-Indiana Jones land too. I'd keep the show and add a ride to make it a "land". I don't know how much land they'd have if they wanted to keep Star Tours though. I love that ride so it'd be hard to say bye to it... especially since I like it more than Falcon.

I think having the park center around Star Wars, Toy Story, Indiana Jones, Muppets & Marvel would be a good foundation. Then you have the entrance/Chinese Theater & Sunset Blvd/ToT as the Hollywood section.
Doctor Strange can't be used in Florida. He's on one of those spire things they have on Marvel Island. I'm also not sure if they can use Ms. Marvel or Carol Danvers Captain because they can't use the name "Marvel" in any advertising iirc. Which also takes Monica Rambeu out of the picture because she's flat out on the same art as Strange.

And as much as I would love to see Daredevil and Shang-Chi in Florida, I don't think that Daredevil is exactly the type of character Disney would want to make an attraction based on (though they could just lock everyone in a dark room and have Charlie do some VO and call it a day), and the Phase 4 characters haven't proven themselves attraction-worthy yet. So until the contract with Universal is up and Marvel Island is gone, Cosmic Rewind is really all I can see them doing as far as Marvel goes unless they do Wong and Jimmy Woo's Big Day Out.

That being said, with the other mini lands, I personally think that retheming Star Tours to Muppets and making it a Pigs in Space attraction is an easy turnover and I can't say no to more Muppets.

doctornick

Doctor Strange can't be used in Florida. He's on one of those spire things they have on Marvel Island. I'm also not sure if they can use Ms. Marvel or Carol Danvers Captain because they can't use the name "Marvel" in any advertising iirc. Which also takes Monica Rambeu out of the picture because she's flat out on the same art as Strange.

Dr Strange is absolutely usable in WDW - they had a M&G with him during the timeframe of the first movie. Being in artwork at Uni is not sufficient for them to have any exclusive claim, it needs to be substantial use (ride, theme for restaurant, M&G) or families of such characters.

Ms Marvel (Kamala) is apparently usable as they advertised her show inside the parks - also she’s a new character since the Uni contract was signed so it’s hard to believe Uni would have any rights to her. Captain Marvel is surely not an option as she is a longtime Avenger and in that “family”.
And as much as I would love to see Daredevil and Shang-Chi in Florida, I don't think that Daredevil is exactly the type of character Disney would want to make an attraction based on (though they could just lock everyone in a dark room and have Charlie do some VO and call it a day), and the Phase 4 characters haven't proven themselves attraction-worthy yet. So until the contract with Universal is up and Marvel Island is gone, Cosmic Rewind is really all I can see them doing as far as Marvel goes unless they do Wong and Jimmy Woo's Big Day Out.

Daredevil is going to appear in She Hulk and get his own D+ series. I’d expect that to be much more family friendly than the Netflix series. Daredevil isn’t necessarily a character that needs to have a mature presentation- he’s been in plenty of more kid friendly material including a bunch of the Marvel cartoons.

Personally I’ve been an advocate of using Nick Fury and SHIELD as basis for a land and I think that would work WRT the Uni deal.

SailorMercury

Dr Strange is absolutely usable in WDW - they had a M&G with him during the timeframe of the first movie. Being in artwork at Uni is not sufficient for them to have any exclusive claim, it needs to be substantial use (ride, theme for restaurant, M&G) or families of such characters.

Ms Marvel (Kamala) is apparently usable as they advertised her show inside the parks - also she’s a new character since the Uni contract was signed so it’s hard to believe Uni would have any rights to her. Captain Marvel is surely not an option as she is a longtime Avenger and in that “family”.

Daredevil is going to appear in She Hulk and get his own D+ series. I’d expect that to be much more family friendly than the Netflix series. Daredevil isn’t necessarily a character that needs to have a mature presentation- he’s been in plenty of more kid friendly material including a bunch of the Marvel cartoons.

Personally I’ve been an advocate of using Nick Fury and SHIELD as basis for a land and I think that would work WRT the Uni deal.
What I'm wondering with Ms. Marvel though is the name Marvel and legacy characters. They can't use "Marvel" in advertising due to the contract, and with that, since Carol was Ms. Marvel for a time (and when they built Marvel Island), do legacy characters count? Because I'm sure that Disney could find a way to satisfyingly build an Avengers area using Legacy characters not affiliated with families.

doctornick

What I'm wondering with Ms. Marvel though is the name Marvel and legacy characters. They can't use "Marvel" in advertising due to the contract, and with that, since Carol was Ms. Marvel for a time (and when they built Marvel Island), do legacy characters count? Because I'm sure that Disney could find a way to satisfyingly build an Avengers area using Legacy characters not affiliated with families.
They advertised the show named “Ms Marvel” in the parks so that seems okay. They can’t use Marvel to talk about the comic book line or group of characters (or films). I’m sure they couldn’t use the red Marvel logo. but it seems they might be able use the word as part of an allowable character’s name since that’s not really advertising the Marvel comics brand.

If Kamala is allowed, I’ve got to think that other legacies like Ironheart or maybe even Miles Morales are potentially free game. And that legitimately opens up a huge world of options for WDW.

SailorMercury

They advertised the show named “Ms Marvel” in the parks so that seems okay. They can’t use Marvel to talk about the comic book line or group of characters (or films). I’m sure they couldn’t use the red Marvel logo. but it seems they might be able use the word as part of an allowable character’s name since that’s not really advertising the Marvel comics brand.

If Kamala is allowed, I’ve got to think that other legacies like Ironheart or maybe even Miles Morales are potentially free game. And that legitimately opens up a huge world of options for WDW.
Iron Heart will definitely be allowed, but Miles is also part of the Sony rights issue.

bhg469

Hawkeye was a little darker than anything D+ has put out. I really hope they do try to keep the tone of the netflix show and just do more warnings.. Punisher however, they simply cannot and should not attempt.. Netflix barely did it any justice, Disney certainly cannot pull that off.

TheMaxRebo

I would love to see a crazy Dr. Strange dark ride. There's a bunch of classic dark ride and magic tricks mixed with modern technology to create something really spectacular. It seems like a no-brainer to me...

Could do something similar to Mystic Manor but you are visiting the Sanctum Sanctorum and some magic gets loose and the cape is trying to get it bottled up before Steven gets back

bhg469

Could do something similar to Mystic Manor but you are visiting the Sanctum Sanctorum and some magic gets loose and the cape is trying to get it bottled up before Steven gets back
The ceiling for the trackless ride technology has not been hit yet and this would be something cool IMO. Having said that the last thing I want to see is another iteration or evolution of soarin.

MJL92

I would love to see a crazy Dr. Strange dark ride. There's a bunch of classic dark ride and magic tricks mixed with modern technology to create something really spectacular. It seems like a no-brainer to me...

Not saying I want ToT to be re-themed, but if it ever was (and with GotG already in EPCOT), I'd sign up for a Dr. Strange version of the ride. Feels inevitable that at SOME POINT, they'll find a way to turn Sunset Boulevard into a Marvel Area with what properties they could use, and with both of those attractions already having been reskinned to Marvel properties in other parks.

RSoxNo1

Walt Disney Studio's Park Paris
  • Clarification on what's replacing Galaxy's Edge (potentially Lion King?)
  • New details on the Night show
  • New details on the full area, including Rapunzel flat ride, etc.
  • Avengers E-Ticket announcement
Did Galaxy's Edge get scrapped for Paris?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom