What to give Cast Members?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
As for the above post about Photopass--that is definitely a non-tipped role. The Cast Member should have at least refused the tip 3 times before accepting it. If not, then they could get in a lot of trouble if caught.

Wow! He didn't refuse once. Just said, "Oh, thank you so much!" and put it in his pocket.

I figured since he had spent 45 minutes with just me taking photos around the resort that it was warranted.

Dad 2 M & M

Every trip all of us at the parks run across great people who do so much to make our trip special I feel, and I would like to make up something small- cards, candy? something that would be small to carry but would be great to give to the CM's.
Anyone ever done something like this? Is this going to far? Thanks for your thoughts.
Just calling them by their name does wonders. Ask each establishment for a comment card and fill it out. The cards do not go unnoticed.

friendofafriend

The characters love to get gifts, notes and drawings from guests. It can really make their day! I think you'd be surprised at how rare it is for characters to get even a please and thank you from most guests so a gift is a really huge deal.

I would urge people to make positive comments about cast members AND characters at guest relations. When commenting about a character make sure to be as specific as possible about time and location.

Pseybert

Housekeeping is kind of a grey area. I believe it is officially a non-tipped role, but since the Cast Member usually doesn't directly interact with the Guest when the tip is offered (and due to the nature of the job), they're usually allowed to keep the tips.

As for the above post about Photopass--that is definitely a non-tipped role. The Cast Member should have at least refused the tip 3 times before accepting it. If not, then they could get in a lot of trouble if caught.

Housekeeping is 100% a non-tipped role. There are no grey areas. Technically, the housekeeper could lose their job by accepting any tip.

As others have said, please find a way to let that cast member's manager, or guest relations know that they've done a good job.

disneylovin

A friend of mine NEVER tipped at her hotel, has been several times, and wondered why she never got a towel animal. I asked her if she tipped, and she said no. I said that could be why. If you make the effort, so do they. But that's just my rationalization on it.

I don't tip housekeeping..and get towel animals. It's about whether or not that housekeeper has the time AND the knowledge of how to make them. In my experience...it has nothing to do with tipping. :)

Tiggerfanatic

One year I found boxes of little Disney candy canes at Big Lots. I took them with me on my Christmas trip to the World and passed them out to bus drivers, my server at restaurants, character friends along with a "Thank You" and "Merry Christmas." Everyone seemed to enjoy them.

I know a lot of people think they're being kind and showing appreciation when offering a tip to a non-tipped CM, but please don't attempt to tip CM's if you are aware it's against the rules for them to accept. It puts them in a very awkward situation of having to refuse your tip or accept your tip and then explain to their managers that they accepted a tip. Just thank them and return their kindness by being polite to them and making their day a little easier.

disneylovin

You know? We would be tipping our Mousekeeper if I never SAW a towel animal :). It's not about all that with us... she just takes VERY good care of us.

I do remember the ONE time I had to "correct" the Hotel staff - I needed an envelope on that trip - and was dumb enough to explain why. Yes, the Concierge DID give me a little crap. Gentle reminders that I was the GUEST fixed the problem. WDW may have any policy they like - in the end? OUR Mousekeeper may just find an envelope on her cart from a totally unkown individual :).

:) We don't tip...nothing personal, to us housekeeping just isn't a tipped position. BUT...we do clean up after ourselves, our shoes get put back in the suitcase, our dirty laundry in another suitcase that is closed, we put everything back in place on the counter every morning, we hang up our towels to reuse the next day and we "make our beds". We leave notes several days in a row asking the housekeeper to do nothing but empty the trash can if it's full and to have a great day. Our behinds are the only ones on that toilet, and if I don't clean the one here at home everyday...i don't need someone else to do it daily on vacation. :D Same with the sheets..I don't give my family fresh bedding everyday so why make someone else waste that time they can use elsewhere. LOL

To us the housekeeper isn't our mom, "she's" there to do her job, not deal with our "messes". :ROFLOL:

maxairmike

I would be very surprised if the photographer referred to was truly a PhotoPass photographer in the same vein that the park and character ones are. It is more likely that the one in question was one of their "professional" photographers associated with the wedding/honeymoon/engagement end of things. I would guess a position like that would be one where tips would be acceptable, and possibly even expected.

Chrononymous

I remember reading once in the (now defunct)Disney magazine about a company that made little pewter pins that you could buy in bulk to give to CMs. It was like a CM appreciation pin from guests.

But I can't seem find anything more about it just now....

Captain Hank

I would be very surprised if the photographer referred to was truly a PhotoPass photographer in the same vein that the park and character ones are. It is more likely that the one in question was one of their "professional" photographers associated with the wedding/honeymoon/engagement end of things. I would guess a position like that would be one where tips would be acceptable, and possibly even expected.
I'm almost positive that it's Disney Photo Imaging (Photopass) running the private photo sessions at the resorts, not the Disney Event Group photographers (who I have worked alongside). Regardless, it still wouldn't be a tipped role. Even prestigious roles, like Guest Relations VIP Tour Guide, which, in the normal world would be tipped, are not at Disney. The logic is that Disney Guests should not feel obligated to tip to ensure a good level of service.

sublimesting

:) We don't tip...nothing personal, to us housekeeping just isn't a tipped position. BUT...we do clean up after ourselves, our shoes get put back in the suitcase, our dirty laundry in another suitcase that is closed, we put everything back in place on the counter every morning, we hang up our towels to reuse the next day and we "make our beds". We leave notes several days in a row asking the housekeeper to do nothing but empty the trash can if it's full and to have a great day. Our behinds are the only ones on that toilet, and if I don't clean the one here at home everyday...i don't need someone else to do it daily on vacation. :D Same with the sheets..I don't give my family fresh bedding everyday so why make someone else waste that time they can use elsewhere. LOL

To us the housekeeper isn't our mom, "she's" there to do her job, not deal with our "messes". :ROFLOL:

Honestly I wipe down everything with clorox wipes when I stay anywhere. After I do this I really don't want anyone touching my clean environment. All they can possibly do is dirty it up.

fosse76

Everyone should at least be paid minimum wage, then we wouldn't have to worry about tips so much. Other countries don't do tips, AND they clean up the trash left on the table at places like McDonalds.

Everyone is legally required to be paid minimum wage. The law allows tipped positions to be paid less ONLY IF the cumulative pay (including the tips) for hours worked equals or is greater than the minimum wage. If the pay, including tips, does not reach the minimum wage, then the employer is legally required to pay the difference. Whether or not they do is anyone's guess.

That said, I wasn't aware that housekeeping wasn't a tipped position, merely by the fact everyone here seems to insist on it. Personally, I haven't been consistent with leaving them tips, however I do have a question. What exactly do they do with the tips they are left. Do they have to report them or are they allowed to keep them?

When we go to Disneyworld in September, I was wanting to make a hemp bracelet (it's nothing complicated, just a simple bracelet made from hemp) for the princesses with their color icon (example: snow white, yellow, blue, and red) to give to them. I figured if I didn't meet that princess and not be able to give it to her, then I could just wear it myself lol.
But anyway.. is that allowed?? just seen a post about bringing Rapunzel and Flynn gifts but that was in 2011 and I'm wanting to know if anything has been updated with that since then.
Or does anybody else have any cute, simple ideas like that that I could give to them and maybe other characters that meet both genders (because I don't think Peter Pan would exactly want to wear a bracelet lol)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom