What to give Cast Members?

Please read through the topics we have on Tipping here and to what is appropriate - that will take this discussion too far away from what the OP was asking about -- incidentally, you should tip at EVERY hotel you stay at, not just WDW, so if you haven't been doing that you should read up on tipping in general.

You didn't have to be such a stuck up snob about it. Sorry for asking a question. It's people like you that make me afraid to post to boards.

thewhitequeen

I'm always surprised to hear people don't tip the housekeeping staff but I presume it's because some of those people haven't travelled many places outside of Disney and/or weren't raised to tip.

I think the CM's would appreciate monetary tips and if they can't take money, how about a visa/mastercard/amex gift card? They do work hard for very little pay.

bluefaery

I used to work in housekeeping at a well known world wide hotel chain in the Houston, Texas area. If I ever got a tip I was not aloud to keep it. I had to turn it into the manager and he would put it in the petty cash drawer. I say if because at the most I would get $5 in tips per month.

DisneyCanadian

I have never tipped a mousekeeper (been to WDW twice) because I did not know it was custom. I have stayed at other hotels before and have never tipped there so I didn't think it was appropriate to tip at WDW. After reading this thread I have a new understanding but would like to know how much should I be tipping per day? We are a family of 6 staying at a Value Resort because it's what we can afford.

Yikes...

raven

The best thing you can do for a CM is stop by Guest Relations and give them compliments. Remember their name and work location. CMs receive recognition when you do this which is first received by their leaders.

Yep. It's called an Applause-O-Gram.

I'm always surprised to hear people don't tip the housekeeping staff but I presume it's because some of those people haven't travelled many places outside of Disney and/or weren't raised to tip.

I think the CM's would appreciate monetary tips and if they can't take money, how about a visa/mastercard/amex gift card? They do work hard for very little pay.

Non-tipped CM's who can't take cash can't take any form of monetary compensation so gift-cards are a no-no as well.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Every trip all of us at the parks run across great people who do so much to make our trip special I feel, and I would like to make up something small- cards, candy? something that would be small to carry but would be great to give to the CM's.
Anyone ever done something like this? Is this going to far? Thanks for your thoughts.

Besides money.... hmm...

A Disney pin :ROFLOL:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
You didn't have to be such a stuck up snob about it. Sorry for asking a question. It's people like you that make me afraid to post to boards.

Agreed. It's even harder for me to post knowing that have of the people on the boards know that I'm 13... I'm very easy to get picked at and criticized. :shrug:

pintraderpayee

Agreed. It's even harder for me to post knowing that have of the people on the boards know that I'm 13... I'm very easy to get picked at and criticized. :shrug:

Keep on posting! Don't let someone who is hiding behind a screen name or avatar stop you. You are the next generation of dream-builders and you have as much right to speak up as anyone.:)

One year my DD took pictures with non-character CMs and asked for their autographs. She told them thanks for helping create the magic. A couple of the CMs at Club Cool cried because they thought it was so sweet.

inluvwithbeast

Actually, you should probably read up on Tipping etiquette as well. But AGAIN -- we have different topic postings for tipping -- this post is about GIVING THINGS to cast members....

Tipping Is Never Required
It may be expected in many situations, but tipping is never required. Tipping hotel staff and drivers should be at your discretion, and should be thought of as a reward for excellent service. Don't feel obligated to give a tip if the service given was sub-par. On the other hand, consider giving a larger tip for those who go out of their way to provide personalized or stand-out service. Although it is not required, tipping etiquette says that unless service was severely lacking in some way, do give a tip of some sort (or at least a smile and a thank you).

http://hotels.about.com/od/hotelsecrets/a/tipping-etiquette.htm

I know it's not Miss Manners, credibility-wise, but I've never been taught that you have to tip housekeeping and my parents were sticklers when it came to always tipping. Sometimes if the service was bad at a restaurant, they would leave a bigger tip because "they're probably having a bad day."

loveofamouse

Do you know how much they actually get paid? Would you be surprised to know that WM cashiers can start at $15/hr? Don't assume that someone working an "undesired job" isn't getting paid decently. No they aren't making 6 figs a year but they are getting paid. I worked at the mail until 2010. Did you know that mall employees barely make $7 an hr? Would you tip them? Why not? We clean up after you. We clean up your mess and clean out the dressing rooms REPEATEDLY after someone goes and tries on 15 shirts and not buy anything. We clean bathrooms. We keep everything stocked and cash you out, sometimes dealing with people with HORRIBLE attitudes. Barely making above minimum wage.

I have travelled many places outside of disney and was taught fair tipping practices. I was also taught to earn your keep. I don't feel obligated to tip someone for doing their job when they are paid for their job and don't fall into a tipping position according to the IRS. Most jobs are not a tipping position by the IRS. Not only do they get paid enough but them taking tips AND full pay can get their employers in trouble with the IRS. How would you feel if your "mandatory" tipping caused one of these workers to get audited for untaxed income?

Then add to that that many hotels, including Disney, are moving to greene practices which include not providing fresh bedding or towels unless specifically requested.

If I have a housekeeper assigned to my room who is really only dumping the trash can and pulling the blankets back up to the pillows, that's not hard work. One trip, we had a MKper who did a birthday set up for my son, provided clean linen for our playpen and made it up without asking, folded clothes my kids left out and all around did more than was in her job description. Yes, she got a tip. She did more than what her job required. Otherwise, the employers are paying the employees to do their job.

thewhitequeen

Do you know how much they actually get paid? Would you be surprised to know that WM cashiers can start at $15/hr? Don't assume that someone working an "undesired job" isn't getting paid decently. No they aren't making 6 figs a year but they are getting paid. I worked at the mail until 2010. Did you know that mall employees barely make $7 an hr? Would you tip them? Why not? We clean up after you. We clean up your mess and clean out the dressing rooms REPEATEDLY after someone goes and tries on 15 shirts and not buy anything. We clean bathrooms. We keep everything stocked and cash you out, sometimes dealing with people with HORRIBLE attitudes. Barely making above minimum wage.

I have travelled many places outside of disney and was taught fair tipping practices. I was also taught to earn your keep. I don't feel obligated to tip someone for doing their job when they are paid for their job and don't fall into a tipping position according to the IRS. Most jobs are not a tipping position by the IRS. Not only do they get paid enough but them taking tips AND full pay can get their employers in trouble with the IRS. How would you feel if your "mandatory" tipping caused one of these workers to get audited for untaxed income?

Then add to that that many hotels, including Disney, are moving to greene practices which include not providing fresh bedding or towels unless specifically requested.

If I have a housekeeper assigned to my room who is really only dumping the trash can and pulling the blankets back up to the pillows, that's not hard work. One trip, we had a MKper who did a birthday set up for my son, provided clean linen for our playpen and made it up without asking, folded clothes my kids left out and all around did more than was in her job description. Yes, she got a tip. She did more than what her job required. Otherwise, the employers are paying the employees to do their job.

You sound awfully upset that people choose to tip housekeeping. :confused: If you want to tip, tip. If you don't want to tip don't tip. I personally think if the maid is cleaning toilets and emptying trash a few bucks isn't going to break my bank.

I also think housekeeping should be a tipped position. :)

loveofamouse

I am not "upset" but I don't think people should be telling others they must not have been raised "right" or need to go read blah blah blah. It's not a tipping job. Nothing to do with WHAT they do, simply how they are paid. Tipping jobs are paid below minimum wage and have to claim tips as income. I waitressed awhile in high school. I made $2.15/hr. Had to claim tips. If it was a slow night, our pay was adjusted to $5.15(MW at the time). We had to work hard for our tips. Tips were part of our pay. We paid taxes on it.

I do get irked when I go into establishments that aren't paid under MW but have the nerve to put a tip jar on the counter. I saw a tip jar at a McDs! WTH! really!?

Sorry but I just don't get why people will argue that housekeeping should get tipped when there are MANY other jobs that are much dirtier with less pay and no one thinks twice about those people. Mall employees, fast food workers, trash guys, school janitor(THAT'S a dirty job). In fact, the public may even snub these people. but housekeeping, who steps in a room, sprays the tub and toilet, pulls the blankets back up, empty a trash can and change out already folded towels, people say they should be getting tips for everyone because they work so hard yadda yadda yadda.

I don't like how tipping has just become such an expected thing. Servers give crappy service but then look sour that they got little to no tip. uh, you gave crappy service, you get a crappy tip. I esp hate when restaurants mandate a tip and add it to the bill. I've had to tell managers to remove it as I will leave a tip I feel is deserved. I got really irked once when they added the 20% party of 6 gratuity because my friend and I went to dinner with my older two kids and two infants in carriers. my older two were only 5 and 3. Yet, the waittress tagged as a party of 6 so that 20% would be automatically added. She actually got in trouble with her manager for that as we were obviously not an eating party of 6. I couldn't believe this woman added our 3 month olds! lol AND gave crappy service! lol. I don't like how cruise ships add gratuity to your charges automatically while the employees are looking at you for more tips. grrr LOL

thewhitequeen

I am not "upset" but I don't think people should be telling others they must not have been raised "right" or need to go read blah blah blah. It's not a tipping job. Nothing to do with WHAT they do, simply how they are paid. Tipping jobs are paid below minimum wage and have to claim tips as income. I waitressed awhile in high school. I made $2.15/hr. Had to claim tips. If it was a slow night, our pay was adjusted to $5.15(MW at the time). We had to work hard for our tips. Tips were part of our pay. We paid taxes on it.

I do get irked when I go into establishments that aren't paid under MW but have the nerve to put a tip jar on the counter. I saw a tip jar at a McDs! WTH! really!?

Sorry but I just don't get why people will argue that housekeeping should get tipped when there are MANY other jobs that are much dirtier with less pay and no one thinks twice about those people. Mall employees, fast food workers, trash guys, school janitor(THAT'S a dirty job). In fact, the public may even snub these people. but housekeeping, who steps in a room, sprays the tub and toilet, pulls the blankets back up, empty a trash can and change out already folded towels, people say they should be getting tips for everyone because they work so hard yadda yadda yadda.

I don't like how tipping has just become such an expected thing. Servers give crappy service but then look sour that they got little to no tip. uh, you gave crappy service, you get a crappy tip. I esp hate when restaurants mandate a tip and add it to the bill. I've had to tell managers to remove it as I will leave a tip I feel is deserved. I got really irked once when they added the 20% party of 6 gratuity because my friend and I went to dinner with my older two kids and two infants in carriers. my older two were only 5 and 3. Yet, the waittress tagged as a party of 6 so that 20% would be automatically added. She actually got in trouble with her manager for that as we were obviously not an eating party of 6. I couldn't believe this woman added our 3 month olds! lol AND gave crappy service! lol. I don't like how cruise ships add gratuity to your charges automatically while the employees are looking at you for more tips. grrr LOL

I went back to edit my post but you already responded. LOL! :animwink: Bad service isn't deserving of a tip that I'll agree with, however, I think if more people were kind to the people who take care of them on vacation they would be more willing to provide a better product and service. Disney is trying to keep with that family atmosphere where people don't feel like they are being nickled and dimed but I think they do their employees a disservice.

Regardless of whether or not it's a "tipped position" in Disney's eyes doesn't matter to me. Soemone who carries my bags deserves a tip just as much as someone who cleans the room I sleep in for a week. It's just how I see things.

I also have to mention that in any of the hotels/resorts we've stayed over the years (Disney aside) has provided good to great service. It could be the places I'm choosing to vacation but we've always tipped and we've always received good service.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Sadly (in my opinion at least) in periods of free dining I dont think servers could provide better service even if they wanted too. Too many diners to few pairs of hands

thewhitequeen

Sadly (in my opinion at least) in periods of free dining I dont think servers could provide better service even if they wanted too. Too many diners to few pairs of hands

Yeah. Disney really should have left the tips included in the plan because it's possible that the servers are now getting stiffed (whether it be intentionally or not). :/

njdan

The best thing you can do for a CM is stop by Guest Relations and give them compliments. Remember their name and work location. CMs receive recognition when you do this which is first received by their leaders.
Yes i believe that telling guest relations when you get special treatment is the best thing you can do for a cast member beside telling them thank you-- our family has met many extrodinary cast members and very very few below average cast members. We always have our sons thank them. and I do agree do not forget your Mousekeeper they are always wonderful for us

blm07

Everyone should at least be paid minimum wage, then we wouldn't have to worry about tips so much. Other countries don't do tips, AND they clean up the trash left on the table at places like McDonalds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom