What to give Cast Members?

dramamama

Simple thank you's can help, too, even when CMs are just going about their normal day. We try to always say "Thank you" to the bus drivers and ride ops when we get off and also "Thanks for keeping it looking so nice" to the CMs who are tidying up the bathrooms when we are using them.

DisneyParksFan

In addition to going to Guest Relations to report an excellent Cast Member, feel free to also ask to speak to a manager.
Having a Guest praise a Cast Member to a manager allows an area's manager to directly see and realize some of the great Guest service that is occurring in their area, which is sometimes overlooked or missed.
Plus, that Cast Member might receive a Great Service Fanatic card!

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I always go to Guest Relations when I encounter a particularly wonderful CM. They guest relations CM's seem to love talking to me when I have good things to say about other CM's, probably because their day is filled with complaining, angry guests.

I don't think it's right Disney makes positions non-tipped. jmho.

The thought process behind this is that Disney doesn't want you to feel like a CM is only going out of their way in order to get a tip. They want you to expect that kind of service simply because you're at Disney.
Plus the tax issues of course.

disneynut4u

We are "tippers". For Mousekeeping, we usually leave $1 per person in our room, plus $1 or $2 extra, esp. if we have our nieces with us. Our room can be chaotic. We also put the tip in a nice Thank You card with Mousekeeping written on it, so they know it is theirs. One year, we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, and since we are from Louisiana, we put the tip in Mardi Gras cups we caught at a parade, with beads & doubloons. That was the year we got the most "freebies" like towel animals.

A friend of mine NEVER tipped at her hotel, has been several times, and wondered why she never got a towel animal. I asked her if she tipped, and she said no. I said that could be why. If you make the effort, so do they. But that's just my rationalization on it.

I do believe in letting CMs know how great they are. It could be the difference between a good day or bad day. Since I deal with customers of all kinds where I work, I know how it feels when someone tells you they appreciate what you do.

loveofamouse

I always get towel animals lol. I also keep my room relatively neat and try to make their jobs easier in my room. Before we head out for the day, I bag up all of the trash and change it out and tie it up by the door. I take the dirty towels and put them in an easy to grab pile. I make sure there's nothing on the beds. Back when they were changing bed linens every day, I would strip the beds for them. Now, since they don't anymore, I just pull my blankets back up. etc. etc.

Jimmy Thick

I do get irked when I go into establishments that aren't paid under MW but have the nerve to put a tip jar on the counter. I saw a tip jar at a McDs! WTH! really!?

A tip jar at McDonalds? I would have just had to have talked to a manager about that, then I would have asked to speak with his district manager and then his regional manager to get that resolved, and if anyone knows this or not, they HAVE to give you that information for their superiors.

That is as bad as going to a fast food place, paying with a credit card and getting a bill with a tip line on it, I always ask the person giving me the receipt what they did to earn a tip, try it and see them ponder that question.

But I admit, I tip generously while on vacation, Disney or not. I dunno why. I tip my waiters if they are competent in my estimation and have given 30 dollar tips for those going above and beyond. I tip my housekeeper at least 2 bucks a day, more if deserving.

As for giving cast members something, I usually give them my thanks and gratitude, in that line of work, I feel thats enough.

Jimmy Thick- I should get tips for posting here...

heliumalias

Personally whenever I do a job the best thing you can do to show your appreciation is just a simple thank you. I did a university tour the other day and one of the prospective parents said something to me that I didn't recognise then he said "that's thank you in Portuguese". The comment completely made my day. Most CMs (including Mousekeeping) are not allowed to accept tips (or gifts). Being offered one is sweet and will put a smile on their face but it means nothing in the long run. Whenever I see a CM do a good job I ask another cast member if they have a Great Service Fanatic card that we can give them. It appears on their record card and gives them something permanent to look back on and smile at. telling them they did na awesome job is really the best gift you can give.

loveofamouse

probably is. Doesn't stop people from doing it. We were in Ocean City, MD a couple weekends ago. I stopped in one of those tourist souviener shops. They had a tip jar with a sign that said "beer fund." Seriously....

inluvwithbeast

probably is. Doesn't stop people from doing it. We were in Ocean City, MD a couple weekends ago. I stopped in one of those tourist souviener shops. They had a tip jar with a sign that said "beer fund." Seriously....

I worked at Panera Bread in high school and a lot of our regulars tried to tip me all the time. Of course, they were all men over 50, but still. I never felt like I deserved a tip. What did I do? I rang up their order, gave them their coffee mug, and toasted their bagel. Our managers always told us to take the tips if they were offered. I hated it, but I did it.

Now I work in retail and even though we track our sales and occasionally earn "spiffs" from sales, we do NOT earn commission. Our managers tell us not to ask them who helped them if we don't know. We're supposed to guess that way they don't think we're earning commission. Customers ask all the time and sometimes won't let other associates help them because they think we earn commission. It's nice that we don't in a way. We sincerely listen to their needs and if they can get exactly what they want somewhere else, we tell them.

It's funny. I work my butt off in retail trying to outfit people, yet at Panera, where people gave me tips, I did very little.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
On my last trip to WDW, I did one of those private Photopass sessions at the Grand Floridian. The photographer accepted my tip, so I assume it's allowed in that particular department.

I_heart_Tigger

Personally whenever I do a job the best thing you can do to show your appreciation is just a simple thank you. I did a university tour the other day and one of the prospective parents said something to me that I didn't recognise then he said "that's thank you in Portuguese". The comment completely made my day. Most CMs (including Mousekeeping) are not allowed to accept tips (or gifts). Being offered one is sweet and will put a smile on their face but it means nothing in the long run. Whenever I see a CM do a good job I ask another cast member if they have a Great Service Fanatic card that we can give them. It appears on their record card and gives them something permanent to look back on and smile at. telling them they did na awesome job is really the best gift you can give.

Mousekeeping is not allowed to accept tips!?

Uncle Lupe

I work in retail where accepting tips is a big no no. But some customers appreciate what I do for them and insist. So I just put it in the Children's Miracle Network fund. I would just buy a snack with it but it might help pay for a kids treatment. So you could always make a donation to a local charity in their names. My daughter has to go to the Children's Hospital so it's my way of giving back. Makes my customer's happy when I tell them I cannot take their money but you can donate it to CMN if you want to. It makes me happy knowing that I am helping somebody instead of increasing my waistline.

Like was suggested hand them business card that says thank you and your intent of making a contribution to charity.

lbrad

If Mousekeeping is not allowed to accept tips THEN where does the money you left for them go??? Is it still there for you when you return to your room :shrug:

Captain Hank

Mousekeeping is not allowed to accept tips!?
Housekeeping is kind of a grey area. I believe it is officially a non-tipped role, but since the Cast Member usually doesn't directly interact with the Guest when the tip is offered (and due to the nature of the job), they're usually allowed to keep the tips.

As for the above post about Photopass--that is definitely a non-tipped role. The Cast Member should have at least refused the tip 3 times before accepting it. If not, then they could get in a lot of trouble if caught.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom