What to do?...

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
What do you do when you go to WDW w/ a "complainer" (AKA, my mother-in-law)?...
She literally complained about everything:
-the soap at the resort didn't make enough suds
-the shampoo at the resort made her hair too limp
-the water was not right (either too hard or too soft - I can't remember)
-she complained about her order at PH & when they promptly made it right, she refused to eat it
-mousekeeping didn't make the bed correctly
-she had to stand several times on the buses
-it was too hot
-the dinner at Cape May Cafe' didn't have enough seafood on the buffet
-the coffee at the resort was awful (which I did hear was true - I don't drink coffee, so I couldn't say)
-when we went to the MK, she wanted to stay in Fantasyland while everyone else wanted to go to Adventureland

Also, as we were getting off the bus at Epcot one day, a man came by & tried to give my DD a Tink pin & she assumed he was giving it to her & she took it.

She would also run to get pics & autographs from the characters before the kids.

I had an earlier thread about how next year is going to be different from this year. This trip was a definite experience.

Have you ever gone on a WDW trip or any trip w/ & had a similar experience? :veryconfu

Nemo14

-she complained about her order at PH & when they promptly made it right, she refused to eat it
-it was too hot
-the coffee at the resort was awful (which I did hear was true - I don't drink coffee, so I couldn't say)
-when we went to the MK, she wanted to stay in Fantasyland while everyone else wanted to go to Adventureland

Also, as we were getting off the bus at Epcot one day, a man came by & tried to give my DD a Tink pin & she assumed he was giving it to her & she took it.

She would also run to get pics & autographs from the characters before the kids.

I had an earlier thread about how next year is going to be different from this year. This trip was a definite experience.

Have you ever gone on a WDW trip or any trip w/ & had a similar experience? :veryconfu
We went with friends one year, and I almost killed the mom - I highly recommend spliting up and then just meeting at the end of the day or something.

DisneyGigi

leave her at home :lookaroun

Uhumm, I mean umm, make the best of it.
I know what ya mean though, some people are not happy with anything! Even at WDW.

hcswingfield

-it was too hot

We used to tell my aunt we hoped she didn't go to heaven when she died because she would be miserable without anything to complain about. Your mother in law sounds the same way. I don't know what you can do, except leave her out of your future travel plans.

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
We went with friends one year, and I almost killed the mom - I highly recommend spliting up and then just meeting at the end of the day or something.
We learned that by the end of the 2nd day.
We are planning to go together next year, but we will have our own schedules & we can meet up when we can (or maybe not) :lookaroun

happymom52003

:eek: Do you have to take her again?
If she must go on your trip with you, really all you can do is try to ignore it, and try to spend some time apart from her. Is she like this in everyday life? I am so sorry! That would drive me crazy too. My mother in law is kind of like that, but thankfully she will never be going to Disney with us! (I better go knock on wood!:ROFLOL:)

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
:eek: Do you have to take her again?
If she must go on your trip with you, really all you can do is try to ignore it, and try to spend some time apart from her. Is she like this in everyday life? I am so sorry! That would drive me crazy too. My mother in law is kind of like that, but thankfully she will never be going to Disney with us! (I better go knock on wood!:ROFLOL:)
We have never really had that problem before.
We have gone many places together.
She is usually very nice & would help us w/ anything.
Maybe some people are not good vacation partners.

LowesChevy

ThinkTink-I know the type it seems like unless it is their original idea its bad and horrible. Vacation is a time for relaxing and having fun. That trip sounds like the holidays with my family-lol! I would do what the others are reccommending by splitting up because for one thing she is a downer, and you will probably get to see more if you separate. Its a shame that people can go to WDW or any trip and act like it was the end of the world everytime something comes up. As long as you and your family have a great time-the trip was a success no matter what your inlaws complain about. Hope you can work it out for next time!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I used to take my ex-wife on Disney vacations so DS would have both of us there 'as a family'.

- She never contributed a dime [granted, I never asked her to].
- She regularly told DS "Oh, you won't like that ride" for rides she didn't want to ride [prime example - Splash, because she didn't want her hair to get wet :rolleyes:]
- When heading to our Land & Sea in 2002, she 'forgot' DS' and her Birth Certificates [a requirement for cross-border travel] and despite my having proper ID, I received at least an hour and forty-five minutes of lectures on the idiocy of traveling post-9/11 without appropriate proof of citizenship from U.S. Customs, Canadian Customs, Canadian Immigration and of course Disney! They never said boo to her. :mad: [DS and I have had passports ever since]
- In California for a week of mostly overcast, often rainy days, she complained that she "didn't come all the way to California for weather like this" [did I mention she didn't contribute a dime? :lookaroun]

After our California trip, I asked DS if he'd like to try our next vacation as a "boys only" trip... He's never been so emphatic saying yes! :lol: All our vacations since have been just he and I and we regularly get wet! :D

Vernonpush

We learned that by the end of the 2nd day.
We are planning to go together next year, but we will have our own schedules & we can meet up when we can (or maybe not) :lookaroun
Next year would be good for Grandma spend some time at the Resort watching your kids while you and your DH have some alone time.:lol:

As far as soap and shampoo, she should bring her own if she dosen't like what is supplied (I have a problem with OTHER [high priced] Hotels and their soaps and shampoos with scents, from now on Disney soaps and shampoos travel with me:lol:)
If she would like to remake the bed to her own specifications, have at it.
"it's too hot"- She'll need to talk to God about that one!
Cape May Cafe Clam Bake didn't have enough sea food?
Farm Raised Clams with Garlic Butter
Prince Edward Island Sound Mussels with Roasted Tomato Butter
Seasonal Fish du Jour
Steamed Peel & Eat Shrimp

Send her to Flying Fish on the Boardwalk where she could order whatever seafood she would like.
Coffee at the resort?- bring your own and make it yourself!
If she wants to stay in Fantasyland then leave her there while everyone else goes to Adventureland.

It sounds to me that she has a major problem. I know how hard you worked for your last vacation. Just tune her out, she will not be happy with anything you try to do. I would suggest that you not even try to help her with her vacation next Sept. , If she didn't like the way you planned this last one, then let her do her own planning for next time (maybe she will learn that it's a little harder than she thought).:shrug:

Crazy4WDW1

Seriously? Why would you ever want to travel to WDW with her ever again? Just plan a vacation to WDW without her. If she asks why she was not included, just state her complaints from the last trip and tell her that it's pretty obvious that she didn't like Disney so why would she want to go again?

Disney World is a magical place. Why ruin your trip with someone who is never happy. Leave her at home.

DABIGCHEEZ

-it was too hot

Really why take her? We took my Mother-in-Law last year, and she generally mangages to find something to complain about at every family gathering or holiday, and also is notoriously late for everything(Abig pet peeve of mine). So I was not looking forward to it. We have DVC so she stayed in with us and during the planning, being her favorite Son-in-Law (only son-in-law), I told her straight up she was gonna have to more or less go with the flow on this trip and if she didn't want to go ..stay home. We did include her in the planning ....picking restaurants and shows she wanted to eat at and see.
Much to my surprise it actually went surprisingly well. No complaining and wasn't actually too bad.

Problem is now she wants to go with us next year.....what are the chances next year will be the same?:lol:

cmatt

pfft - dont tolerate it. So what if you have turned the mother in law against you - its your holiday at the end of the day. If she wants to complain, let her - on her own :)

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
I would suggest that you not even try to help her with her vacation next Sept. , If she didn't like the way you planned this last one, then let her do her own planning for next time (maybe she will learn that it's a little harder than she thought).:shrug:
That's exactly what I told my DH! :D

EPCOT.nut

Ear plugs! :lol:

I have never been to WDW with a complainer! Normally I go with close family or close friends. My sis and I took my Mom to EPCOT once and she only complained because we criss-crossed the park too much and she got tired. :D WELL we did criss-cross too much and we should have taken it easier with her! So it was a valid complaint! :sohappy:

mousefan1972

Originally Posted by ThinkTink721
-it was too hot

Hm, where do I start?

Nevermind.

I'm the one going to WDW for Christmas to get away from my in-laws!! :lol:

doop

Jeez, I would've just ditched her, there isn't anything I can't stand more on a WDW vacation more than complaining. I can't believe she actually complained about the resort's soap and shampoo. Didn't she think to bring her own stuff?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom