News What time is the 2 o'clock parade?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Omg. Come on now. Or maybe they received several complaints from party attendees of how crowded it is for the first few hours..and realize that non party guests are staying when the park is supposed to be for party tickets only?

I will go to MK on a party day and leave well before the party starts. I have no issue with that.

I appreciate that Disney is taking steps so that people such as myself will have less crowds on the night that we do attend a party.

Hours are published well in advance. It is someone's choice to go on an early closure day or not.

In some cases it's a choice, but for others like those at a convention or book ending a cruise no it's not a choice and those people are being shortchanged by Disney's actions

jakeman

In some cases it's a choice, but for others like those at a convention or book ending a cruise no it's not a choice and those people are being shortchanged by Disney's actions
I do feel bad for those people who have access to the hours ahead of time, don't want to make that purchase, but then have their freedom of choice removed and are mandated to purchase a ticket.

It must be horrible for them to not have free will.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It is a person's choice to go on that day or not.
Let's not forget that. If someone doesn't see the value, go the next day..when there isn't a party.

Not always a choice, conventions and cruises come immediately to mind. If someone with a family has only one day to spend at WDW they are going to choose the MK. And the date in those cases is usually chosen FOR them not BY them.

21stamps

Not always a choice, conventions and cruises come immediately to mind. If someone with a family has only one day to spend at WDW they are going to choose the MK. And the date in those cases is usually chosen FOR them not BY them.
Still a choice. Please, let's be rational.lol

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes, it is still a choice. The rest is irrelevant.

Obviously you have never been to an industry meeting that's in Orlando runs Mon-Thurs and you have to be back no matter what on Monday. People visit WDW on Friday and fly back Saturday AM because you can't risk flying on Sunday and hitting/delay cancellations

So your so called choice is to either skip WDW and fly back friday AM or MK o Friday which just happens to catch a lot of party action.

Yep a choice a Hobson's choice but a choice nonetheless.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Doing away with the afternoon parade on party nights would be a reduction of the value of a one day ticket. Moving it up an hour is not.

You are forgetting in that analysis that the park closes 1 hour earlier to day guests and the party has also been shortened by an hour. Hence decrease in value

seascape

The problem though is the parties did not break the 50 dollar barrier, till Iger showed up a mere decade ago and in that time the price has DOUBLED while the quality of the offering declined and the number of tickets sold increased.

Our last party visit was when they were at 69.95 and we collectively said not worth it anymore.

So this is not about a mythical 'golden era' decades ago but changes in a very few years.
I agree the ticket prices are high but if they were lower there would be more people in the park. What is the solution? Either have parks that reach capacity daily and only those who go at rope drop can get in or have higher ticket prices? It is not an easy choice. Now, in the next few days we will find out what the 2016 attendance was at each park but 2017 will be higher than 2015 and WDW will set records. They need to do something to make it more enjoyable for everyone even if that results in higher ticket prices.

21stamps

Obviously you have never been to an industry meeting that's in Orlando runs Mon-Thurs and you have to be back no matter what on Monday. People visit WDW on Friday and fly back Saturday AM because you can't risk flying on Sunday and hitting/delay cancellations

So your so called choice is to either skip WDW and fly back friday AM or MK o Friday which just happens to catch a lot of party action.

Yep a choice a Hobson's choice but a choice nonetheless.

Yes. I am arriving at WDW on a Saturday when my cruise gets in.. coming from Miami.
I would prefer to be there earlier, but, I'm not sailing out of Port Canaveral, because I chose a ship in Miami. I am departing WDW one day earlier than when I would like to be...because I'm choosing to have my kiddo return to school the next day.

The people in your hypothetical are also making choices based on their personal schedules.

King Panda 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
The problem though is the parties did not break the 50 dollar barrier, till Iger showed up a mere decade ago and in that time the price has DOUBLED while the quality of the offering declined and the number of tickets sold increased.

Our last party visit was when they were at 69.95 and we collectively said not worth it anymore.

So this is not about a mythical 'golden era' decades ago but changes in a very few years.
No you are imposing your views on others. The price bracket might be "not worth it " to you but to others it might be a better value as if less people buy then it will be less crowded.
We have booked a halloween party for the first time this year and if the price increase keeps out a lot of people then excellent.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Omg. Come on now. Or maybe they received several complaints from party attendees of how crowded it is for the first few hours..and realize that non party guests are staying when the park is supposed to be for party tickets only?

I will go to MK on a party day and leave well before the party starts. I have no issue with that.

I appreciate that Disney is taking steps so that people such as myself will have less crowds on the night that we do attend a party.

Hours are published well in advance. It is someone's choice to go on an early closure day or not.

In complete agreement. I have swum upriver against that sea of departing guests waaay too many times. And have noticed non party guests still in the MK long after 7:00. If closing MK at 6:00pm facilitates the leaving of non party guests, then I'm all for closing an hour earlier than what was done in the past.

However, Disney does need to update their calendar. The night we're attending MNSSHP, the calendar doesn't indictate a special event. I wish the park closed at 6PM for the nights of the Halloween party.

I think moving FoF up an hour will facilitate family schedules better. Can't imagine getting back to one's room around 3:30 or so with little ones in desperate need of a nap...with just an hour or two until leaving again for dinner. We like to nap for an hour or so, maybe a visit to the pool/hot tub and then clean up before heading back out for dinner - and we're all grown ups (well, maybe. ;) ). As long as Disney announces well in advance the change, I don't have an issue.

21stamps

In complete agreement. I have swum upriver against that sea of departing guests waaay too many times. And have noticed non party guests still in the MK long after 7:00. If closing MK at 6:00pm facilitates the leaving of non party guests, then I'm all for closing an hour earlier than what was done in the past.

However, Disney does need to update their calendar. The night we're attending MNSSHP, the calendar doesn't indictate a special event. I wish the park closed at 6PM for the nights of the Halloween party.

I think moving FoF up an hour will facilitate family schedules better. Can't imagine getting back to one's room around 3:30 or so with little ones in desperate need of a nap...with just an hour or two until leaving again for dinner. We like to nap for an hour or so, maybe a visit to the pool/hot tub and then clean up before heading back out for dinner - and we're all grown ups (well, maybe. ;) ). As long as Disney announces well in advance the change, I don't have an issue.

I think the people who will be complaining the loudest will be people who aren't even going to be in Disney world during the party times.lol

It's really a no harm no foul scenario. Crowds were horrid on my non party day.. before and after 4pm. I willingly and readily left before 6pm.

I also prefer the parade time better..I'm a huge fan of breaks..a 2pm time makes them easier, or at least means more families will view it easier. You can leave directly after.. and then come back around 7pm (talking normal days).
Not everyone stays park open to park close. Some people get "value" out of having a good time, not how much time is actually spent in the park itself.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I agree the ticket prices are high but if they were lower there would be more people in the park. What is the solution? Either have parks that reach capacity daily and only those who go at rope drop can get in or have higher ticket prices? It is not an easy choice. Now, in the next few days we will find out what the 2016 attendance was at each park but 2017 will be higher than 2015 and WDW will set records. They need to do something to make it more enjoyable for everyone even if that results in higher ticket prices.

As far as Iger is concerned if it's enjoyable for the shareholders it's 'good enough' for everyone else. As Disney's customer is now Wall St not the guest who simply provides the funding.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Here's the thing, I think that moving the parade to 2PM makes perfect sense especially in the summer if you get there at rope drop because 3 is a perfect time to head back to the resort for a swim/nap before getting ready for dinner.

My problem is cutting an hour from an already attenuated schedule and as others have noted during the late fall/winter there were fireworks at 6 PM for the day guests. My objection is cutting the VALUE out of the tickets,

There are things Disney COULD do but refuse to, Like make a party day ticket an 'afternoon hopper after 6 PM' so you could visit another park for the remainder of the day, A dining discount on Party Day lots of small things which would be guest friendly. Instead Disney chooses to be Wall St Friendly.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No you are imposing your views on others. The price bracket might be "not worth it " to you but to others it might be a better value as if less people buy then it will be less crowded.
We have booked a halloween party for the first time this year and if the price increase keeps out a lot of people then excellent.

I'm not imposing my values on others here, When tickets reached 69.95 for the party my inner Scotsman rebelled at paying that much at that point for me the value equation was no longer valid for me and mine. People are free to pay as much as they think a good or service is worth.

But being a Scotsman I can't leave financial sanity behind on a vacation the 'It's vacation' justification never worked for me, Stopped eating onsite when the food prices went sky high same reason. I can get better food offsite for less money or as we are DVC eat in the room.

King Panda 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I'm not imposing my values on others here, When tickets reached 69.95 for the party my inner Scotsman rebelled at paying that much at that point for me the value equation was no longer valid for me and mine. People are free to pay as much as they think a good or service is worth.

But being a Scotsman I can't leave financial sanity behind on a vacation the 'It's vacation' justification never worked for me, Stopped eating onsite when the food prices went sky high same reason. I can get better food offsite for less money or as we are DVC eat in the room.
So how long did you live in Scotland for before you moved from your birthplace ?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
No. They have never moved the afternoon parade time any of the other 35 years of evening parties.

That is slightly misleading.

You have to remember a good chunk of those years the Halloween events were held at either DTD or in resorts. The Christmas party first came to the MK in 1983 was a one night event only not 2 nights until 1989 and 3 in 1995 was the first Halloween party, one night on Halloween. I was there and still have the hard ticket. Both parties very slowly grew in numbers of parties per year. It was in the last 5 years that the numbers of parties greatly grew and quickly.
C6vJYJ_WgAE0qRy.jpg:large

Now that the hub is complete and a new type of evening show it would make sense to bump the parade time up. Not implying that was Disney's reason but I could buy into that. It would have made little sense for Disney to change a parade time permanently when they had a party, two or three times a year. When the park changed the parade time which it still does occasionally it is posted in the guide and posted by the entrance and TTC ticket booths, Ferry and Monorail.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
"Enjoyable for the shareholders"? What the **** does that have to do with moving the parade up one hour to 2PM? I'm sure none of the shareholders really care... :rolleyes:

Another "Big, bad, money grubbing Disney!" post from this individual...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom