News What time is the 2 o'clock parade?

Patcheslee

Just a thought without knowing how busy the shops are, but maybe they are trying to draw more ppl to Main Street for lunch time instead of snack time.

peter11435

That is slightly misleading.

You have to remember a good chunk of those years the Halloween events were held at either DTD or in resorts. The Christmas party first came to the MK in 1983 was a one night event only not 2 nights until 1989 and 3 in 1995 was the first Halloween party, one night on Halloween. I was there and still have the hard ticket. Both parties very slowly grew in numbers of parties per year. It was in the last 5 years that the numbers of parties greatly grew and quickly.
C6vJYJ_WgAE0qRy.jpg:large

Now that the hub is complete and a new type of evening show it would make sense to bump the parade time up. Not implying that was Disney's reason but I could buy into that. It would have made little sense for Disney to change a parade time permanently when they had a party, two or three times a year. When the park changed the parade time which it still does occasionally it is posted in the guide and posted by the entrance and TTC ticket booths, Ferry and Monorail.
There are certainly more than ever now. But there have been dozens of party nights per year for over a decade now.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
There are certainly more than ever now. But there have been dozens of party nights per year for over a decade now.
What some fail to realize, is that the number of parties in December has remained almost the same for well over a decade:

2003 - Dec 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19 & 20 - 12
2006 - Dec 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 14, 15, 18, 19, 21 & 22 - 13
2009 - Dec 1, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 18 - 10
2012 - Dec 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, 14, 16, 18, 20 and 21 - 12
2014 - Dec 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18 and 19 - 12
2015 - Dec 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 18 - 11
2016 - Dec 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13, 15, 16, 18 and 22 - 12
2017 - Dec 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21 and 22 - 12

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

It was the 35 year part I thought would confuse many younger than I am as we know these parties did not start in the parks more than one day a year 35 years ago so of course they wouldn't permanently change a parade for a one time event 35 years ago. True it has been a decade now but a far cry from 35 years ago when one party happened once a year, inconsequential to permanently changing a time of a parade.

As I explained in my thoughts when the parties tipped to over a dozen per year in 2005 then doubled by 2013 Disney started to rearrange all of their events on Main Street started with the hub and then shows, what vehicles were sent down Main Street and greatly altered parade count, now the time. To me at first blush it seems they had a model of how to right the ship and are accomplishing it step by step. Since there is a parade for the parties spacing them out further is wise given the increased numbers and ever rising Disney has now at the MK. My point was we have to look past what happened 35 years ago, that's all. :)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So how long did you live in Scotland for before you moved from your birthplace ?

Born in US but when everyone in family has been going to the various and sundry highland games since before i was born. One tends to think of themselves as a scotsman. And yes everyone has dress and casual kilts but no fake accent we sound like everyone else up here in new england

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Born in US but when everyone in family has been going to the various and sundry highland games since before i was born. One tends to think of themselves as a scotsman. And yes everyone has dress and casual kilts but no fake accent we sound like everyone else up here in new england
So ... You are NOT Scottish then :rolleyes:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
"Enjoyable for the shareholders"? What the **** does that have to do with moving the parade up one hour to 2PM? I'm sure none of the shareholders really care... :rolleyes:

Another "Big, bad, money grubbing Disney!" post from this individual...

You do realize that in addition to moving the parade till 2pm the park is closing an HOUR earlier as well so instead of 10 hours of park time, you will have 9. But i guess thats ok becuz Diznee iz a Bizness.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With this 'change' Disney has reduced the value of the one day ticket on party days by 10% and the party ticket itself by 20%. I'd say that's enough of a reason to get Disney fans into a tizzy.

Now if the PRICE dropped commensurately it would not be an issue but we all know the price is not going anywhere but up.

You are forgetting in that analysis that the park closes 1 hour earlier to day guests and the party has also been shortened by an hour. Hence decrease in value

Where has that been stated or shown in an official statement?

Please show me the evidence for this because according to the WDW website both the parties are still six hours long

@ford91exploder , Twice you've said the length of the party has been shortened and twice you've been asked for your source on this.

What is your source that the length of the party has been shortened?

It's all about the Benjamin's by doing this Disney can reduce staff costs significantly on Party nights

Yes everything does seem to be about money these days. As for the confusing portion let me clarify what I meant in my original post, I only mean that it adds more confusing to why Disney is changing yet another thing but I suppose money could factor into that as well. Also may I ask if Magic Kingdom is closing at 6 instead of 7 this year are the parties starting/ending early, is that yet another change being added to the seemingly never ending list?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Doing away with the afternoon parade on party nights would be a reduction of the value of a one day ticket. Moving it up an hour is not.
I guess that means people will be buying lunch at 1100 and then sitting down along Main Street USA to eat it as they wait for the 2 pm parade.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I don't understand this argument that you get less value on a party night. You get a LOT more done in MK between 9AM-7PM on a party night than a 9AM-11PM day simply because of this perception.

The park is significantly less crowded on party nights because reduced hours are perceived as less value. If you're value is tied to the now non-existent light parade or the nightly fireworks, then there is an argument to be made. If value is number of activities completed, shows viewed, and rides ridden, there is an inherent positive to going to MK on a party night.

If you've got more than one MK day, then you should ALWAYS make one of those a day a party is scheduled even if you don't have tickets.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
This thread has gotten ridiculous. So what if (1) FoF will now be at 2PM starting in August and (2) the MK will close at 6:00 pm to non ticketed guests the nights of MVMCP? You're going to quibble over ONE FREAKING HOUR? And make the usual "Disney's stealing our money comments".
My comments are directed at one individual, who still has not provided proof that Disney will shorten the time of the party. Calendar for those nights still say 7PM until midnight. It was just a courtesy that Disney let party attendees in at 4pm....

And yes, they are a publicly traded for profit business...like many others in the country. So why are you so amazed when they act as such?

*shakes head*

Personally I truly don't care what time the parade is, I am just looking for answers (probably metaphorically speaking) as to why Disney is changing so much and what effect positive or negative this may or may not have on vacationers.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Changing so much? Other examples, please.

Possibly the time in parade, except for parties omitting evening parade, consolidating a projection show and fireworks show into a single attraction vs dual, removing several vehicles from Main Street.

Me, I think it is about streamlining the attractions that take place on Main Street and certainly by going from two every day parades to one it is both a contract employee cost savings and for the standard CMs needed to set up and supervise the parades. It is a cost savings to cut an hour of attraction time CMs along Main Street/Hub too with only one attraction vs 2 in the evening. Nights around the MK got a great deal cheaper without the second parade and the consolidation of the projection and fireworks.

They have change quite a bit, not saying it is a bad thing but they certainly changed that portion of their business model.

ToTBellHop

Possibly the time in parade, except for parties omitting evening parade, consolidating a projection show and fireworks show into a single attraction vs dual, removing several vehicles from Main Street.

Me, I think it is about streamlining the attractions that take place on Main Street and certainly by going from two every day parades to one it is both a contract employee cost savings and for the standard CMs needed to set up and supervise the parades. It is a cost savings to cut an hour of attraction time CMs along Main Street/Hub too with only one attraction vs 2 in the evening. Nights around the MK got a great deal cheaper without the second parade and the consolidation of the projection and fireworks.

They have change quite a bit, not saying it is a bad thing but they certainly changed that portion of their business model.
I doubt they are saving much. They still need a ton of crowd control and the actual fireworks show costs significantly more than Wishes to put on.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Exactly and that's been my point all along the constant CHEAPENING of the WDW experience along with constant price increases for the CHEAPENED experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom