What the heck are some people wearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

It's only inappropriate because people can't look at the female form without oversexualising it. What's the difference between wearing booty shorts with a crop top & a 2 piece bikini where there is no choice for someones butt to be half hanging out?

Here I’ll say that context can make a difference. On a beach or by a pool, I expect to see bums hanging out. In most other settings, I would be surprised (not to say scandalised or bothered) to see anyone (boy or girl, man or woman) wearing shorts that expose any cheek. But I think this is largely a non-issue, as most hot pants / booty shorts I’ve seen actually cover the bottom fully.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This reminds me of the time I was told to have a female acquaintance "cover her hair" in a middle eastern souk... and then I had to restrain that acquaintance from thrashing the religious policeman who made the comment.

My point? Acceptable dress is very culturally driven. Florida culture is considerably... more relaxed... than most other places around the world. No, it's not a beach in Rio, but it's also not a middle eastern souk.

aw14

Here I’ll say that context can make a difference. On a beach or by a pool, I expect to see bums hanging out. In most other settings, I would be surprised (not to say scandalised) to see anyone (boy or girl, man or woman) wearing shorts that expose any cheek. But I think this is largely a non-issue, as most hot pants / booty shorts I’ve seen actually cover the bottom fully.
exactly....the context matters. At a beach/water park, it is expected and might be the "norm". Walking down Main Street, not so much.

Hayley In Wonderland

Are they walking around a beach or the Magic Kingdom? A little context goes a long way
Why is it any different? They're both hot environments where people are entitled to dress to feel comfy. Booty shorts and a crop top really is not that offensive unless you're trying to make it so. It's the norm here in the UK, girls can wear what they want in the summer and most of the time not get snotty comments from people, or be objectified.

aw14

Why is it any different? They're both hot environments where people are entitled to dress to feel comfy. Booty shorts and a crop top really is not that offensive unless you're trying to make it so. It's the norm here in the UK, girls can wear what they want in the summer and most of the time not get snotty comments from people, or be objectified.
I disagree. There are locations where certain outfits are more appropriate. IMO

Hayley In Wonderland

Here I’ll say that context can make a difference. On a beach or by a pool, I expect to see bums hanging out. In most other settings, I would be surprised (not to say scandalised or bothered) to see anyone (boy or girl, man or woman) wearing shorts that expose any cheek. But I think this is largely a non-issue, as most hot pants / booty shorts I’ve seen actually cover the bottom fully.
That's the difference though, you're not bothered by it, nor should anyone be.

Shouldigo12

very good....there is no victim blaming here...thanks for keeping up :facepalm:
So do you think clothes are a factor or not? That's what I'm confused about I said clothes are not a factor or to say it is is victim blaming, you said it isn't.

aw14

That's the difference though, you're not bothered by it, nor should anyone be.
How can you determine what others should or shouldn't be bothered by.

If I am walking down main street @ the MK, I do not believe someone should be walking around with their cheeks out. However, if I am walking at any beach, the context is different. We cannot and should not determine or project what others should feel

aw14

So do you think clothes are a factor or not? That's what I'm confused about I said clothes are not a factor or to say it is is victim blaming, you said it isn't.
Ok, last time. I have not "victim blamed" anyone. My other comment that seems to be holding you up is that I believe certain outfits are location appropriate and age appropriate.

Not hard

Hayley In Wonderland

How can you determine what others should or shouldn't be bothered by.

If I am walking down main street @ the MK, I do not believe someone should be walking around with their cheeks out. However, if I am walking at any beach, the context is different. We cannot and should not determine or project what others should feel
Because there is absolutely no need to be offended by it? It's the human body. How people dress and what people do with their OWN personal appearance is nothing to do with anyone else. I could walk around in a thick winter coat when its 40* out and it still wouldn't be anyone elses business.

Shouldigo12

Ok, last time. I have not "victim blamed" anyone. My other comment that seems to be holding you up is that I believe certain outfits are location appropriate and age appropriate.

Not hard
Ok, dude. You responded to my post saying that saying clothes are a factor in sexual assault is victim blaming with "I disagree...it is not victim blaming". Thats exactly what you said. Maybe you thought I was accusing you specifically of victim blaming, I don't know. But your post says you disagree with my statement. If that wasn't what you meant then maybe you need to be clearer when you write. No disrespect.

The Empress Lilly

America is at once both more prudish and more hypersexual. I blame the first for the latter.

aw14

Because there is absolutely no need to be offended by it? It's the human body. How people dress and what people do with their OWN personal appearance is nothing to do with anyone else. I could walk around in a thick winter coat when its 40* out and it still wouldn't be anyone elses business.
That doesn't address what I wrote at all. You are making a determination about other people, which is not within your purview. You can certainly disagree, but they are just as entitled to their beliefs as you are to yours.

With that said, I find it inappropriate...that is my right to my own belief. Thank you

Hayley In Wonderland

That doesn't address what I wrote at all. You are making a determination about other people, which is not within your purview. You can certainly disagree, but they are just as entitled to their beliefs as you are to yours.

With that said, I find it inappropriate...that is my right to my own belief. Thank you
Please tell me how that is making a determination about other people? There is literally no need to be offended by the human body. At all. That's not determining anyone's opinion. There is nothing to offend anyone, everyone has seen a butt before. Just like there is no need to oversexualise, either.

aw14

Please tell me how that is making a determination about other people? There is literally no need to be offended by the human body. At all. That's not determining anyone's opinion. There is nothing to offend anyone, everyone has seen a butt before. Just like there is no need to oversexualise, either.
It people are offended they have that right. The same way you cannot be offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom