What the heck are some people wearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disneydreamer23

I see this in the parks too but It honestly doesn't bother me what people where what DOES bother me is when I see young adults ( girls 8-12_ wearing booty shorts and half cut shirts , from personal experience working with sexual assault victims and trauma abuse young girls should not dress like this to portray them selves as easy, it attracts predators. That is the only thing I care about when I see people dress a certain way.

LittleBuford

I see this in the parks too but It honestly doesn't bother me what people where what DOES bother me is when I see young adults ( girls 8-12_ wearing booty shorts and half cut shirts , from personal experience working with sexual assault victims and trauma abuse young girls should not dress like this to portray them selves as easy, it attracts predators. That is the only thing I care about when I see people dress a certain way.

Maybe these kids (8-12-year-olds are not young adults) are just trying to enjoy themselves in one of the few places on earth where they might expect to avoid moral judgements and sexual assault?

Disneydreamer23

Maybe these kids (8-12-year-olds are not young adults) are just trying to enjoy themselves in one of the few places on earth where they might expect to avoid moral judgements and sexual assault?

I actually worked with a few young woman assaulted in Disney world so hate it to say it but there is assault EVERYWHERE!

LittleBuford

I actually worked with a few young woman assaulted in Disney world so hate it to say it but there is assault EVERYWHERE!

I’m not denying that sexual assault happens in WDW; it happens everywhere, unfortunately. But I don’t think children going to the parks should have to dress with the assumption that wearing something too “revealing” will cause them to be attacked by a predator.

ETA: Again, a girl of 8-12 is not a young woman; she is a child. If someone chooses to attack a child (or an adult, for that matter), the blame lies squarely with that person and not with their victim.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

No, the girls should dress like that. We should kill every abuser instead.

correcaminos

Sorry, but I dislike this mentality. It's on the predator, not the victim if anything happens. I can agree with other reasons why this isn't really a good idea, but for sexual assault this is more akin to victim blaming. I can tell you that you can be dressed in a burlap bag and be assaulted. Stop using dress as a reason why bad things happen

Paper straw fan

I'm more offended by the matching t shirts, cargo shorts and socks with sandals. :oops:

Well, i know that cargo shorts aren’t sexy, and I’ve pretty much eliminated them from my casual attire, but darn if that extra pocket space isn’t handy, especially with smart phones being gigantic now. Beats having to carry a bag, or worse, a fan E pack (this forum deleted the actual word, really?) I’ve somewhat missed cargo shorts when my phone is already halfway out of my pocket and I’m more concerned with that than I am enjoying Aerosmith

Hayley In Wonderland

Oh, females too. Possibly more so. At least, more complicatedly. They just look for different things. Guys look at posteriors, girls look at bank accounts. The super savvy women also look at potential. Now, I am not saying that potential is the only factor! Just saying it is a factor.

My point being, women cannot claim a moral superiority here just based on men being more visual. ...and less strategic.

Ironically, women not wanting men to be visual really raises the bar on what constitutes an ideal mate. I dunno, maybe raising the bar is a good thing? Probably a good thing. Definitely a good thing.
Not sure about you, but a man's bank account has never been what I'm attracted to. Having a good personality wins me over.

Hayley In Wonderland

Somebody lied to you -most likely your social science professors. Actual science tells a different story.
We don't study "social science" here in the UK.

Bobs are not meant to be sexualised. They are made to feed babies. It is society that has taught us to sexualise bobs.

* I am using bobs since it censors the actual word*

Voxel

President of Progress City
We don't study "social science" here in the UK.

Bobs are not meant to be sexualised. They are made to feed babies. It is society that has taught us to sexualise bobs.

* I am using bobs since it censors the actual word*
Most anthropologist would disagree, one of the prevailing theories to human development regarding that area is that evolution favored female ancestors with more prominent and noticeable utilities. As early humans began to transition into walking, so did the focus for attractive Mate-able qualities. (If this wasn't an open forum I would go into better detail why it is a bit of sexualization and for mating) So in a way it's a bit of both, because of walking/standing that area of the body because of symbol for fertility and having children thus making that partner a more desirable mate, this can be seen in EARLY sculpture and art work by man. The core of Sexualization, is that desire to mate with that person; so the change in shapes and deminsions (which was not needed for early humans to raise children, look at other primates) probably evolved to help attract mates thanks to walking.

LauraRose

No sorry wrong. This is what’s wrong with the world. Maybe people (men and female) should be taught to control themselves. Why should a woman or a girl as young as 8 have to worry about what they are wearing? This goes against everything people are trying to work for with sexual harassment. I’ve walked around in many different types of outfits from young ages from loose fitting to tight, long winter coats that show nothing whatsoever and I can tell you it doesn’t stop men whistling or shouting crude comments or even grabbing you whilst you walk past to ‘cop a feel’. If someone’s a sexual predator then nothing will stop them. I’d hardly call a 8 year old wearing shorts ‘easy’.

I try to keep out if controversial threads like this one but I strongly disagree with this comment. I think the issue here is people looking at young girls that way in a sexual manner. Shall I go tell my 6 year old niece she can’t wear shorts in summer because it makes her look easy?

This comment is coming off as blaming the victim and considering you work with them it’s a bit concerning.

Also as you can see in my photo I’m wearing a crop top and shorts. You can’t see my bum in them they stop on my thigh but if I was assaulted are you going to tell me it’s my fault for wearing that outfit?

I keep adding to this because I keep getting more annoyed. What happens at water parks and beaches? Should children not wear swimming costumes in case they is a predator around? But I highly doubt anyone would flinch at a little boy in shorts and no top on? Children should not be sexualised and as someone else pointed out a 8-12 year old is not a young adult. These are kids and should not be viewed in this manner.

Last edited:

aw14

No sorry wrong. This is what’s wrong with the world. Maybe people (men and female) should be taught to control themselves. Why should a woman or a girl as young as 8 have to worry about what they are wearing? This goes against everything people are trying to work for with sexual harassment. I’ve walked around in many different types of outfits from young ages from loose fitting to tight, long winter coats that show nothing whatsoever and I can tell you it doesn’t stop men whistling or shouting crude comments or even grabbing you whilst you walk past to ‘cop a feel’. If someone’s a sexual predator then nothing will stop them. I’d hardly call a 8 year old wearing shorts ‘easy’.

I try to keep out if controversial threads like this one but I strongly disagree with this comment. I think the issue here is people looking at young girls that way in a sexual manner. Shall I go tell my 6 year old niece she can’t wear shorts in summer because it makes her look easy?

This comment is coming off as blaming the victim and considering you work with them it’s a bit concerning.

Also as you can see in my photo I’m wearing a crop top and shorts. You can’t see my bum in them they stop on my thigh but if I was assaulted are you going to tell me it’s my fault for wearing that outfit?
I do agree with you in principle. No one should look at any child that way. However, as a parent of a 15 year old girl, there is also a component of don't dress your child to sexualize them. To me it is both

LauraRose

I do agree with you in principle. No one should look at any child that way. However, as a parent of a 15 year old girl, there is also a component of don't dress your child to sexualize them. To me it is both

They is a difference in a 15 year old and a 8 year old, I really don’t see how a crop top is sexualised in any sense when it’s ridiculously hot outside. I wouldn’t let a 15 year old walk around in shorts that showed her bum or revealing tops but I’m replying to the comment addressing such young children. I don’t understand what they are meant to wear in the heat. A skirt down to their knees? Or ankles?

I get what you are saying I know when I was 15 my mum was cautious of what I wore, but I refuse to see a 8 year old in a sexual way.

Shouldigo12

I don't about other people's families, but by 8 I was dressing myself. If I wore shorts it wasn't my mom sexualizing me, it was because it was hot. If you mean "Don't let your kids choose clothes that are too revealing", you do you, but that doesn't change the fact that dressing in any way is not an invitation to assault someone, nor does it make someone look "easy" (and really, even saying little girls look easy because of their clothes is just gross).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom