1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

What little things that WDW used to do/have do you miss?

Discussion in 'WDW Parks General Discussion' started by durangojim, Aug 6, 2017.

1. durangojim

durangojim Well-Known Member

I'm not creating this thread to bash the current state of WDW, but there are a lot of things that used to be done that have been stopped or cut for various reasons. I'm just curious what some people miss.

Something for me was the little Mickey Mouse shaped butter at the restaurant in the castle and the after dinner mints that most sit down restaurants used to give out at the end of the meal.

2. wvdisneyfamily

wvdisneyfamily Well-Known Member

The Concourse Steakhouse - It's not a little thing, but I do miss it.

3. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

When characters were able to wander and roam around the park giving guests a surprise when they enter a certain location. Sure it's different know but hearing reports from older members in the forums make me wish this was still a thing. At least some characters are still able to do this at Disneyland and some of the foreign Disney parks but it ain't what it used to be.

Here's a photo from the 70's that has The Scat Cats from The Aristocats at Fantasyland.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  4. JIMINYCR

JIMINYCR Well-Known Member

I miss the resort specific mugs. I miss the printed napkins that were replaced by the dull brown ones. I miss the theatrical troupe that once performed in EP outside of United Kingdom. Not so little, but I miss good entertainment in Canada and.... I miss I miss Jiminy Cricket M&G's.

5. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

Push, Banjo Brothers, Miyuki (candy art lady), Comic Waiters,

6. durangojim

durangojim Well-Known Member Original Poster

I forgot another one! The Omnibuses around World Showcase!
    [​IMG]

7. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

I miss this, but I don't want it to return. I just feel like people at WDW are different than they were back then.. it would be a nightmare and many kids would never get the opportunity to meet the characters. It would also be a nightmare for the CM

8. Ag11gani

Ag11gani Well-Known Member

The Country Bears are roaming fronteirland now, with an attendant. So maybe they are sort of testing this and trying to bring it back, or maybe not but it is a possibility.

9. Cmdr_Crimson

Cmdr_Crimson Well-Known Member

Staying at Pleasure Island after midnight and grabbing a late night dinner from McD's to bring back to my Hotel room...I'm not a fan that Springs just shuts down at 12......Yeah the resort is 45 and can't stay up late due to it's age...But, I still need something...

10. crxbrett

crxbrett Well-Known Member

- I miss the old bars of soap in the resorts that had the old WDW logo (the one that was a globe with mickey ears)

- I miss the parks being open late

- I miss the breakfasts that were not character breakfasts

- I miss the old sour ball candy bags. The balls themselves used to be more sour and you could get an entire bag of any flavor - cherry, apple, grape, lemon or orange!

- I miss the Earful Tower

- I miss the Adventureland Veranda teriyaki burgers and steak sandwiches

- I miss the 20K Leagues lagoon

- I miss going on the Skyway on a warm summer night

- I miss the old King Mickey & hula Minnie window that was in the GCH lobby underneath the stairs. There was an eruptung volcano and awesome Hawaiian music playing as they moved

- I miss the live music in the Papatea Bay Veranda at the Poly

- I miss the Mickey's Birthdayland Express, which eventually became the Walt Disney World Express, song

- I miss the original Epcot entrance music loop

- I miss the 'Now Is The Time' version of Carousel of Progress

- I miss Dreamflight

- I miss Spaceship Earth and the entrance fountain before they ruined with those dumb tombstones

- I miss hearing the bass from 'Another Part Of Me' from Captain Eo as you walked by the waterfalls of the Imagination pavilion

- I miss El Rio del Tiempo

- I miss ORAC-1

- I miss the days before FP and FP+

- I miss Maelstrom and it's 'tricky trolls'

- I miss the Mike Fink Keelboats

- I miss old Future World ('86-'94)

- I miss Spectro Magic and Jiminy Cricket

- I miss the original PotC finale with the bank vault scene

- I miss the old Spanish guitar music heard in the dungeons of the PotC queue.

- I miss Magic Journeys. Yes, it may have been slightly cheesy. But man, was that score and song hauntingly beautiful

- I miss the Imageworks

- I miss Dreamfinder on the ride and being able to see him walk around with Figment in the park.

- I miss the Omnibuses at World Showcase

- I miss hearing the cannons firing from the turrets of PotC's exterior

- I miss the Jolly Roger from PotC

- I miss the parrot at the entrance of PotC

- I miss Adventureland before they clogged it up with the Aladdin carpets

- I miss them giving you leis when checking into the Poly (or did they bring this back?)

- I miss the old GCH lobby rock waterfall

- I miss hearing Jack Wagner's voice on the MCO peoplemover

11. DisneyPrincess5

DisneyPrincess5 Well-Known Member

I miss Disney doing promotional TV specials or putting out those souvenir-esque tapes/DVDs/books that weren't obviously promotional that would educate you about the parks or resorts or show you what's new. Or at least they didn't seem promotional that way to me as a kid.

I just miss simpler times. Visiting now with the technology available definitely has its perks, I ain't conplainin. But things like @brb1006 mentioned the characters just walking around, no fast passes, no 83746 day in advance dining reservations...I look back fondly.

12. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

We recently found one of our old VHS tapes of one of these.. with Duck Tales having a heavy presence. It was so fun to watch!

13. durangojim

durangojim Well-Known Member Original Poster

I miss the old acrylic EPCOT fountain and video talking to cms on the kiosks in Epcot to make restaurant reservations (although the app is so much better). I just felt like I was in the future!

14. belledream

belledream Well-Known Member

I miss my Disney luggage tags! It was so nice getting them in the mail with the rest of my documents. I feel something is missing as I am beginning to pack!

15. brb1006

I understand that sure times have changed but I remember characters back then were able to have alot more fun with guests and would sometimes be found riding on rides such as the Carousel which they are still able to do occasionally at Disneyland.

Meet and Greets where guests can meet a character or more at a single location is good but isn't as special since you have a few seconds to hang out with them and leave while once your picture or autograph is taken care of.

16. JudyHopps

JudyHopps Well-Known Member

The Tremaines still do this in WDW IIRC.

rreading, TheOrangeBird01 and brb1006 like this.
  17. brb1006

At least Star Wars Land is possibly making a comeback with this idea with the Star Wars characters at Galaxy's Edge.

Diana Sandoz likes this.
  18. brb1006

Even planning a trip to WDW back in the day wasn't as a bit overwhelming like it is today.

19. Adam Snider

Adam Snider Active Member

I miss the cheese for my fries at QS locations

20. ninjaprincesst

ninjaprincesst Well-Known Member

We still got them last year has this changed? They were in the box with the magic bands.

DfromATX and Ben E like this.