What little things that WDW used to do/have do you miss?

durangojim

Original Poster
I'm not creating this thread to bash the current state of WDW, but there are a lot of things that used to be done that have been stopped or cut for various reasons. I'm just curious what some people miss.

Something for me was the little Mickey Mouse shaped butter at the restaurant in the castle and the after dinner mints that most sit down restaurants used to give out at the end of the meal.

brb1006

When characters were able to wander and roam around the park giving guests a surprise when they enter a certain location. Sure it's different know but hearing reports from older members in the forums make me wish this was still a thing. At least some characters are still able to do this at Disneyland and some of the foreign Disney parks but it ain't what it used to be.

Here's a photo from the 70's that has The Scat Cats from The Aristocats at Fantasyland.
vQOshPw.png

Last edited:

21stamps

When characters were able to was wander and roam around the park giving guests a surprise when they enter a certain location. Sure it's different know but hearing reports from older members in the forums make me wish this was still a thing. At least some characters are still able to do this at Disneyland and some of the foreign Disney parks but it ain't what it used to be.

I miss this, but I don't want it to return. I just feel like people at WDW are different than they were back then.. it would be a nightmare and many kids would never get the opportunity to meet the characters. It would also be a nightmare for the CM

Ag11gani

When characters were able to was wander and roam around the park giving guests a surprise when they enter a certain location. Sure it's different know but hearing reports from older members in the forums make me wish this was still a thing. At least some characters are still able to do this at Disneyland and some of the foreign Disney parks but it ain't what it used to be.

The Country Bears are roaming fronteirland now, with an attendant. So maybe they are sort of testing this and trying to bring it back, or maybe not but it is a possibility.

crxbrett

- I miss the old bars of soap in the resorts that had the old WDW logo (the one that was a globe with mickey ears)

- I miss the parks being open late

- I miss the breakfasts that were not character breakfasts

- I miss the old sour ball candy bags. The balls themselves used to be more sour and you could get an entire bag of any flavor - cherry, apple, grape, lemon or orange!

- I miss the Earful Tower

- I miss the Adventureland Veranda teriyaki burgers and steak sandwiches

- I miss the 20K Leagues lagoon

- I miss going on the Skyway on a warm summer night

- I miss the old King Mickey & hula Minnie window that was in the GCH lobby underneath the stairs. There was an eruptung volcano and awesome Hawaiian music playing as they moved

- I miss the live music in the Papatea Bay Veranda at the Poly

- I miss the Mickey's Birthdayland Express, which eventually became the Walt Disney World Express, song

- I miss the original Epcot entrance music loop

- I miss the 'Now Is The Time' version of Carousel of Progress

- I miss Dreamflight

- I miss Spaceship Earth and the entrance fountain before they ruined with those dumb tombstones

- I miss hearing the bass from 'Another Part Of Me' from Captain Eo as you walked by the waterfalls of the Imagination pavilion

- I miss El Rio del Tiempo

- I miss ORAC-1

- I miss the days before FP and FP+

- I miss Maelstrom and it's 'tricky trolls'

- I miss the Mike Fink Keelboats

- I miss old Future World ('86-'94)

- I miss Spectro Magic and Jiminy Cricket

- I miss the original PotC finale with the bank vault scene

- I miss the old Spanish guitar music heard in the dungeons of the PotC queue.

- I miss Magic Journeys. Yes, it may have been slightly cheesy. But man, was that score and song hauntingly beautiful

- I miss the Imageworks

- I miss Dreamfinder on the ride and being able to see him walk around with Figment in the park.

- I miss the Omnibuses at World Showcase

- I miss hearing the cannons firing from the turrets of PotC's exterior

- I miss the Jolly Roger from PotC

- I miss the parrot at the entrance of PotC

- I miss Adventureland before they clogged it up with the Aladdin carpets

- I miss them giving you leis when checking into the Poly (or did they bring this back?)

- I miss the old GCH lobby rock waterfall

- I miss hearing Jack Wagner's voice on the MCO peoplemover

Last edited:

DisneyPrincess5

I miss Disney doing promotional TV specials or putting out those souvenir-esque tapes/DVDs/books that weren't obviously promotional that would educate you about the parks or resorts or show you what's new. Or at least they didn't seem promotional that way to me as a kid.

I just miss simpler times. Visiting now with the technology available definitely has its perks, I ain't conplainin. But things like @brb1006 mentioned the characters just walking around, no fast passes, no 83746 day in advance dining reservations...I look back fondly.

21stamps

I miss Disney doing promotional TV specials or putting out those souvenir-esque tapes/DVDs/books that weren't obviously promotional that would educate you about the parks or resorts or show you what's new. Or at least they didn't seem promotional that way to me as a kid.

I just miss simpler times. Visiting now with the technology available definitely has its perks, I ain't conplainin. But things like @brb1006 mentioned the characters just walking around, no fast passes, no 83746 day in advance dining reservations...I look back fondly.

We recently found one of our old VHS tapes of one of these.. with Duck Tales having a heavy presence. It was so fun to watch!

brb1006

I miss this, but I don't want it to return. I just feel like people at WDW are different than they were back then.. it would be a nightmare and many kids would never get the opportunity to meet the characters. It would also be a nightmare for the CM
I understand that sure times have changed but I remember characters back then were able to have alot more fun with guests and would sometimes be found riding on rides such as the Carousel which they are still able to do occasionally at Disneyland.

Meet and Greets where guests can meet a character or more at a single location is good but isn't as special since you have a few seconds to hang out with them and leave while once your picture or autograph is taken care of.

Last edited:

brb1006

The Country Bears are roaming fronteirland now, with an attendant. So maybe they are sort of testing this and trying to bring it back, or maybe not but it is a possibility.
At least Star Wars Land is possibly making a comeback with this idea with the Star Wars characters at Galaxy's Edge.

brb1006

Even planning a trip to WDW back in the day wasn't as a bit overwhelming like it is today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom