What is with the Smell of the Monorails?

hpyhnt 1000

I'm apparently a total oddball, but I actually like the smell. :lol:

Or, to clarify, perhaps I should say that it's not the smell per se that I like...but what it's associated with. It's a classic WDW smell. I get on that monorail and I smell that smell, and it brings back the memories of past trips and being on the monorail. Perhaps I wouldn't like the smell if my shirt smelled like that. Or if my living room smelled like that. But the fact that I associate it as a classic WDW smell, I wouldn't want it any other way than for the monorails to smell like that. Of course, since I DO associate that odor with WDW, then for that reason, perhaps I WOULD like it if my clothes smelled like that. :shrug::lol:

Again, perhaps it's not a very pleasant smell for any other aspect of life, but since it has come to be so closely associated with the monorail at WDW, it has become, to me, one of those "you know you're at WDW when..." things...and as such, it holds a pleasant place in my heart...along with the musty water smell of the boat rides, the smoky smells from SSE and UoE, etc. :D

I'm with you! :wave: I can't believe all the hate against the smell. Its what makes the monorail the monorail! It may not be great, but hey... :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

I'm apparently a total oddball, but I actually like the smell. :lol:

Or, to clarify, perhaps I should say that it's not the smell per se that I like...but what it's associated with. It's a classic WDW smell. I get on that monorail and I smell that smell, and it brings back the memories of past trips and being on the monorail. Perhaps I wouldn't like the smell if my shirt smelled like that. Or if my living room smelled like that. But the fact that I associate it as a classic WDW smell, I wouldn't want it any other way than for the monorails to smell like that. Of course, since I DO associate that odor with WDW, then for that reason, perhaps I WOULD like it if my clothes smelled like that. :shrug::lol:

Again, perhaps it's not a very pleasant smell for any other aspect of life, but since it has come to be so closely associated with the monorail at WDW, it has become, to me, one of those "you know you're at WDW when..." things...and as such, it holds a pleasant place in my heart...along with the musty water smell of the boat rides, the smoky smells from SSE and UoE, etc. :D
I know...It's a good smell/feeling moment.
:D:lol:

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
No, certainly not I'm sure! :lol:

Out of curiosity, how does the orange scent in Soarin' compare to the scent from Horizons? I've always wondered... :shrug: :eek:
It's close, but not the same to me. Still an amazing smell though! Luckily, any Horizons lover is immediately taken back to Mesa Verde when they ride Soarin'. Ahhh, L'Orange... :eek:

The smell is left from Stitch when he was all over the Monorails for the YOMD.:brick: In reality I have no clue what it is, but it does stink.

surfsupdon

It's a disgusting BO-esque smell. But it makes me think of Disney everytime.

So does diesal fumes--smelling diesal fumes here transports me to long nights waiting at crowded Park bus stops and also chasing busses down as they pull away, just missing it by seconds. Haha.

It's a disgusting BO-esque smell. But it makes me think of Disney everytime.

So does diesal fumes--smelling diesal fumes here transports me to long nights waiting at crowded Park bus stops and also chasing busses down as they pull away, just missing it by seconds. Haha.

I always think the same thing when I hear or smell a diesel bus. The other morning I heard something that sounded just like the old Disney buses-it turned out to be a trash truck...what a bummer.

Craig & Lisa

For me at least the smell has been the same after all the time we've been going, and since 1997 it has always reminded me of a kitty litter box. Why, I don't know, but it has always been something I expect to smell and will always be a part of WDW.

WDW1974

Only Disney fans would find the smell of BO and dirty, poorly maintained monorail cars as something good.

No wonder why Disney management has been able to WalMart the product.

Maybe they should install porta-pottys at the parks to encourage enviornmentality (i.e save on the H2O bill) ... those smells would be magical too!

GenerationX

The monorails are actually odorless. Disney pumps in the smell of feet and sweat to provide that realistic public transportation smell. I hear they're experimenting with halitosis for the upcoming holiday season.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
about the carpet thing...oddly I never really noticed a bad smell until I was in one of the renovated ones without carpeting, that smelled pretty bad.

minnie2000

My 8 yo DD loves the smell of the monorails - she tells us every time we get in! Then again, she is a bit weird, she also likes the smell of petrol...:shrug:

To me, the monorails smell like a wet flannel - I don't mind it at all, but I have a very weak sense of smell, a very good thing in some situations!

Disney4Eva

Oddly enough, my family & I were just at our local zoo, and when we were in the gorilla house, I kept saying to my sister "Annie! Doesn't it smell like the monorail??" and she (along with my whole family) agreed XD So I don't see it as the monorail smelling bad. I see it as the zoo smelling good :lol: I know. We're weirdos :hammer:

I actually love the smell XD It's just so...monorail :D

PeeplMoovr

To me it's a mix between a zoo cage smell and the smell of a wet band-aid. :hurl:

"Welcome aboard the Walt Disney World Resort Express Monorail, our Highway In The Sky to the Magic Kingdom. For the comfort of others, no smoking please. For your own comfort, please do not breathe."

ewensell3

To me it's a mix between a zoo cage smell and the smell of a wet band-aid. :hurl:

"Welcome aboard the Walt Disney World Resort Express Monorail, our Highway In The Sky to the Magic Kingdom. For the comfort of others, no smoking please. For your own comfort, please do not breathe."

Would it be considered rude to hose a car down with a Super Soaker loaded with Febreeze?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom