What is with the Smell of the Monorails?

KeithVH

Maybe a little cleaning would help . . .

monomold.jpg

Mimi

I know what you are talking about. But its like a hit or miss. I remember when I was young, I used to love the monorail smell, it was like a sign that I was finally there. Now, it rarely smells the way I remember. I only remember getting one horrible smelling one, the others are just inbetween pleasent and horrible, but overall the smell isnt too nice.

I have always liked the smell of the monorails too, but I'm guessing the offending scent is fairly recent. I doubt it has anything to do with smelly sweaty people bc I have never noticed a general odor like this before... and people have been sweaty and unclean in the past.

Maybe I am wrong though, after all, I do like the smell of diesel engine exhaust. It reminds me of the trams from when I was a kid.

Make me drive behind a smelly old bus anytime! :slurp::) Ahhh!!!

sarabi

I think they smell like a locker room. There's something mildewy about it that's nasty, but on the other hand, if the monorails didn't smell... I don't know. That scent to me says "hello! You're on the monorail! Yay!".
I haven't been on a renovated one, though. That would be interesting. I agree with the sunroofs. Please. That would be great. Or piping in some sort of cotton candy smell or something.

WDITrent

Each monorail seems to have its own special smell. Some of them smell like Disney Resort Transportation buses. Others smell like Star Tours. Some smell like BTMRR. One smelled like dental tools. :veryconfu

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think they smell like a locker room. There's something mildewy about it that's nasty, but on the other hand, if the monorails didn't smell... I don't know. That scent to me says "hello! You're on the monorail! Yay!".
I haven't been on a renovated one, though. That would be interesting. I agree with the sunroofs. Please. That would be great. Or piping in some sort of cotton candy smell or something.

Perhaps each monorail could have it's own smell to correlate with it's color.

Red=raspberry
Yellow=lemon
Orange=.....tangerine :D
Black=licorice

etc

WDW1974

I have always liked the smell of the monorails too, but I'm guessing the offending scent is fairly recent. I doubt it has anything to do with smelly sweaty people bc I have never noticed a general odor like this before... and people have been sweaty and unclean in the past.

Yeah, but Disney used to clean and maintain its monorails on a daily (or nightly) basis in the past.

Now ... not so much.

So you have disgusting sweaty tourist BO ... combined with moldy growth ... mixed with assorted trash left behind.

Magical.

Lensman

Since @MisterPenguin referred us here from the Skyliner thread, I was wondering if Disney thinks the smell is a problem and if they could address it with industrial ozone generators to remove the smell during maintenance. I've read that ozone works wonders on smells embedded in fabrics and such. It might even kill the mold and mildew in the air conditioning.

Proper safety protocol would have to be followed for the use of ozone, of course.

bmmilan

I'm a farm girl from Illinois--it smells like a stock trailer to me. It was still there when my husband and I were at the World in September.

I've smelled worse--much worse!:rolleyes:

TTFN,
Dawn
I totally agree! I'm from Wisconsin and we have always thought it smells like cow manure.

ninjaprincesst

It is probably just the cumulation of sweaty bodies, poor hygiene, people coming in rain soaked, spilling of food and beverage, people using the monorail as a diaper changing station, people getting sick and all the other smelly things that happen on the monorail.

Driver

Yeah, but Disney used to clean and maintain its monorails on a daily (or nightly) basis in the past.

Now ... not so much.

So you have disgusting sweaty tourist BO ... combined with moldy growth ... mixed with assorted trash left behind.

Magical.
All Disney transportation is cleaned on a daily basis as well as safety and maintenance checks. NO equipment is used till these task are completed and documented.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom