What happened to?

jonmar

Original Poster
Can anyone answer the following questions about old attractions. I have heard some rumors of why they were discontinued, but, dont really know the truths.

1- Skyway
2- 20,000 Leagues

I heard someone died on the Skyway and its all Hush Hush and 20000 leagues, Dont really know why

DDPGambit

20,000 leagues was closed for a number of reasons.
It was costly to maintain, and it had a very long load time. It took forever to load and unload those subs. These, along with wanning interest is what closed it.

kaos

Originally posted by DDPGambit
20,000 leagues was closed for a number of reasons.
It was costly to maintain, and it had a very long load time. It took forever to load and unload those subs. These, along with wanning interest is what closed it.

20K was closed because the warehouse that it is in should technically be a condemned building.

kaos

Originally posted by DDPGambit

What was wrong with the building?

***sigh***

Originally posted by wdwmanager
20K was closed so many years ago because of two reasons. The first being that it was to expensive to convert the sub to ADA standards ($150,000+ per sub). The second reason is the one that really killed the ride. The vibrations from the subs had started to cause the under structure to fail. The major problem with that is that the womens changing room is under that area; and it was already causing major leaks into the locker room. Had they continued to run, the Utilidors would become a flooded sewer system.
They had looked at converting the area. But the problem that they have come across is that the water is so polluted that they cant dump it any where, and no outside company will take it. Also is that the water is the only thing holding the tank together. If they remove the water, the entire tank would collapse. (So, I have been told).
I hope my 2 cents helps

:confused: :eek:

Please do a thread search in the future. These have been covered at length, and there is tons of info that you might find interesting in the older threads. Oh, and if anyone has a floorplan of the building or interior pics, I'm still DYIN' to see them...

:drevil:

kaos

Originally posted by 17jrw4
What is this, who can make up the wildest story!

OK... This is FACT, not a made up story. Before you go accusing people on here of making stories up, please be aware that most of the people with information like this WORK FOR DISNEY and are privy to information.

Just a word of advice. Welcome to the forums JRW-
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by 17jrw4
What is this, who can make up the wildest story!

I know that many of the things posted on BBs are not always true. However, unless you have some verifiable information to support your allegations, and as long as what is being posted doesn't harm, insult, or influence anyone else, there is no reason to be rude in your response.

There have been quite enough rude posts lately. There is no problem with posting a different viewpoint, or contradicting someone else's statements, AS LONG AS YOU'RE POLITE ABOUT IT!

So please, feel free to express you opinion; just think twice before making a sarcastic, curt, or biting remark.

Just a gentle reminder. :)

MrPromey

Originally posted by kaos

***sigh***

Please do a thread search in the future. These have been covered at length, and there is tons of info that you might find interesting in the older threads. Oh, and if anyone has a floorplan of the building or interior pics, I'm still DYIN' to see them...

:drevil:

One thing I don't buy is the polluted water story. That thing has been drained at least once in the last 12 years. I know because I have pictures of it drained somewhere back when they still had signs saying it was being refurbished. Also, if this were the case, I would assume that they wouldn't still be adding water to it and leaks or not, if it was essentially a retention pond, the water would have dried up years ago. Having leaks would only make it happen faster. Also, if getting rid of the water were seriously the issue, they could filter it out of the pool as they drained it by pump or even haul that water off to be stored somewhere else on property if for some reason unbeknownst to us, it wouldn't evaporate.

Sketch105

Disneypix.com has pictures of a 1980 rehab of the lagoon. It was entirely drained of water.

I'm not a pool cleaner or anything, but if the water was polluted, that would mean it was neglected, and green algea would form.
Isn't the water chlorinated anyway, to keep it crystal clear?

The Mom

Premium Member
I have a hard time buying the polluted water theory. The water has been maintained, even though the ride has been closed for years. I think if it were that toxic, you might notice it as you walk by; I would also think they would have to cover it in some way to reduce exposure.

The ADA theory seems much more plausible. The staircases going down were much too narrow for a lift, etc, so a lot of subs would have to be replaced, plus the track would probably have to be modified for a wider sub. Otherwise, a CM would have to CARRY anyone incapable of walking down the steps, and then CARRY them out again. This would expose both the guest and the CM to injury (what if he dropped the guest, or what if the guest was too heavy), which would be another potential problem.

Lord Alfred

Nobody really misses 20K, do they? It was probably one of the worst attractions at MK. I certainly don't miss it. Like all of you, I just wish they could do something with the space. If nothing else, they should put some kind of huge Little Mermaid themed fountain in the middle or something. It would help with the ambience.

cymbaldiva

I sorta wish it had been around a bit longer...:( The first time I visited MK was in '89 and some friends and I had this idiot impulse to drive all nite and go to Disney (it was fun though!). By the time we got to the park we were all soooo tired that we dozed off during anything at all quiet! Of course I dozed right thru 20K! :lol: The next time I went to Disney it was closed - I would really like to just have actually seen the ride!

Talsonic

Account Suspended
The Water is not polluted.

Considering that 20k is in Fantasyland, I think it is fair to say that the water is the only thing holding the walls up. I even saw another thread in which a person pointed out that UoE was "floating" on water that has to be continually pumped into the sub-basement. Water does some pretty amazing things at WDW. It must be the pixie dust.

Also, both 20k and Skyway closed in late 1994 because it would have been too expensive to make them ADA compliant.

Erika

Skyway did not close in 94 unless it was temporary. My pics posted above were taken on my trip with John when we were dating in 98.

That's WDW though- maybe you were talking about DL.

RobFL

Account Suspended
Hey, if oil-shale is the rock that burns, then doggonit, UoE is allowed to float by some bylaw of gravity.

Sidenote: Where did people get the idea it was a boat ride? Been asked that many times recently..

-Rob

cymbaldiva

Like anyone cares, but I agree - Skyway closed wayyy after '94, and when I was at WDW in August of '94, 20K was already closed.

kaos

Here's the deal on the pond and the water...

from the info that I have, the pond (lagoon) is actually seperated from the soundstage behind it. The leaking area isn't the Lagoon in Fantasyland, it is the soundstage/warehouse/attraction building behind the waterfall.

As for the toxicity of the water in the attraction, the paints and plastics, over a period of years, reacted with the chemicals in the water over the years. The water is indeed applying an outward force on the walls to keep them from imploding. Let's all remember that the water level in there is pretty high.. about 2 thirds of the way up the walls itself.

I have pics of the water out of the lagoon for that 1980 refurb... I'm more interested in pics of the inside of the warehouse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom