What happened to?

Talsonic

Account Suspended
You are correct!

Originally posted by Erika
Skyway did not close in 94 unless it was temporary. My pics posted above were taken on my trip with John when we were dating in 98.

That's WDW though- maybe you were talking about DL.

Yes, I was referring to the one in DL. Thanks for pointing that out! WDW Skyway closed in late 1999.

mbro2002

I have a hard time believing this rumor about the water quality being so bad. Doesn't every swimming pool have paint on the walls and chemicals in the water? Aren't there large environmental companies that specialize in taking industrial pollutants and treating them? (there are)

If you ask me, this sounds like a re-hash of a rumor that was floating around a while ago about the water in the dive tube at Living Seas being "so polluted that no one would take it." I've heard this one before and didn't believe it then, either.

RobFL

Account Suspended
What i heard was that when the water rushes into the dive tube, it creates higher pressure very quickly and it can be hell on the ears - hence no one wanted to do it.

-Rob

jmarc63

Re: The Water is not polluted.

Originally posted by Talsonic
Water does some pretty amazing things at WDW.

As far as water floting shings. About 20 years ago ther were trying to get a new stadium for the Bears and and White sox. one of thr Ideas was a stadium that had stands that could be reconfigured for both football and baseball. ther idea was to float the stands on a layer of water to rearange the stands. Obvously that plan never happened. So water can do some unusaul things.

Al

20k sounds like a major headache for disney. I mean........those walls cant hold out forever can they?

Al

Originally posted by 17jrw4
Let me ask a question, why would the walls implode? What force is acting on them. The bottom of the pond is approx 14 feet above true ground level which excludes the possibility of ground water force. Also, if the water was as polluted as stated then it seems they would turn off the waterfalls and fountains to stop the mist from contaminating all the guests.

the utilidors are on the ground level. MK is actually bulit above the ground. They did this because of the high water table in florida and it would be impossible for them to dig and put the utilidors underground :)

Sketch105

Originally posted by Lord Alfred
Nobody really misses 20K, do they? It was probably one of the worst attractions at MK. I certainly don't miss it. Like all of you, I just wish they could do something with the space. If nothing else, they should put some kind of huge Little Mermaid themed fountain in the middle or something. It would help with the ambience.

I miss it. Yes, it had low-tech effects, and if you looked up you could see the water level. But it was still a cool ride. No other theme park or amusement park had a ride where you could look under water. I hope they either bring a version of 20k overseas to here (yeah, right. That'll happen) or re-invent the concept here, because it was one of my favorite rides for being so different. Plus I loved the underwater props and sets. I wish I could take one more journey on it.

As for the Mermaid fountain, that huge space deserves an attraction that would utilize it. They would not install a fountain directly in the middle. Theres not much point. The lagoon already looks good, with the Vulcanian caves and the clear water. Plus they already have a fountain!

Maybe they should install some underwater lights in the rocks to give the lagoon a "volcanic rock" look. That would be cool. Imagine the little peaks and caves with hues of orange and red light "spewing" from them. Now that would be awesome for ambience!

bearboysnc

1. I doubt Disney would keep a toxic cespool so close to guests and ABOVE a locker room. PLEASE get serious.

2. Only 1 sub would need to be modified to meet ADA requirements, not the whole fleet.

Al

Originally posted by bearboysnc

2. Only 1 sub would need to be modified to meet ADA requirements, not the whole fleet.

But if that sub broke down, then they would have to close the whole ride. Also, the disabled person would have to wait a while for it to come round :)

jmarc63

Originally posted by Alberrisford

the utilidors are on the ground level. MK is actually bulit above the ground. They did this because of the high water table in florida and it would be impossible for them to dig and put the utilidors underground :)

it wouldn't be impossible but there would always be water leakage down there and building the Utilidors on the grade instead of under solved any water issues with leakage.

jmarc63

Originally posted by Alberrisford

But if that sub broke down, then they would have to close the whole ride. Also, the disabled person would have to wait a while for it to come round :)

Why do take the worst case senario and make it into the end of the world. why don't you give Disney some credit. Don't you think that Disney would have plan if that happened or do think Disney is going to scratch there heads and go " gee...... what do we do"

Com on think about it!!!!!!!:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

kaos

Originally posted by 17jrw4
Let me ask a question, why would the walls implode? What force is acting on them. The bottom of the pond is approx 14 feet above true ground level which excludes the possibility of ground water force. Also, if the water was as polluted as stated then it seems they would turn off the waterfalls and fountains to stop the mist from contaminating all the guests.

Funny thing I noticed the other day... the waterfall is off in the lagoon and is covered by green mesh and vinyl leaves.

disneyfamily

I adored 20k. Its funny, as a child I dont remember ever seeing the wires that held the fish in place. Nor did it ever occur to me to look up and see the water level. I just wanted to believe we were under water. What really stinks is now I have children who have not and never will ride 20K or the skyride or Dreamflight. How about instead of spending another 100 million on a new ride, put 20 million in 20k and fix the problems.

cymbaldiva

My thoughts exactly! Would it really be so costly to perform some routine maintence? It would be tons cheaper than a new ride I'm sure!

Thanks disneyfamily for telling it how it is!

jmarc63

Originally posted by kaos

Funny thing I noticed the other day... the waterfall is off in the lagoon and is covered by green mesh and vinyl leaves.

the mesh is there because the passage to the warehouse where the dark portion of the ride takes place is(was) under the waterfall. this was the reason for the waterfall. to conceal the entrance to the ride building. since the water is off this is concealing the entrance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom