What Grinds Your Gears At the Parks?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Speaking of droids, that's another thing that ahem..."grinds my gears" as the OP likes to say...

People on these boards who always use DD or DS to refer to their kids...especially the ones who put the kid's ages after it. Such as DS15, or DD5. I'm not sure if they're talking about their kids, or a droid. :ROFLOL:
Internet-safe way to refer to your children without using their names :shrug:

Used it myself until Morgan was old enough to be a member here himself and then it became moot. I'd certainly never complain or be upset about another member trying to protect their children on the internet.

Wendy517

Cell phone users who decide that during Wishes or Fantasmic is the time to update the folks back home on how the vacation is going, find out how the business is doing, etc... Not the short call to see where family is within the park, but the full info call that lasts the WHOLE show! :fork:

Lucky

During Illuminations one night outside Rose and Crown a guy had a loud cell pohne conversation about business matters. Talk about runing the magic. It was a confined space for R&C customers and hard to get out of range of him.

sbkline

Internet-safe way to refer to your children without using their names :shrug:

Used it myself until Morgan was old enough to be a member here himself and then it became moot. I'd certainly never complain or be upset about another member trying to protect their children on the internet.

I never said anyone should use names. I just think it doesn't hurt to say "my 15 year old son", "my three year old daughter", etc.

To me, it's pretty much along the lines of how, in our society today, we're too lazy to say "Kentucky Fried Chicken" or "Dairy Queen". So now we have to call them "KFC" and "DQ". Or the way some posters here have to type their whole post in text message type because they're too lazy to spell out the words. It seems like we've become so lazy anymore that it's a burden on us just to spell things out and use proper English and punctuation, etc.

I understand the whole "protect your kids" thing, but I really don't think that's what it's all about. It's about the convenience of just typing out an abbreviation, rather than spelling out "my 15 year old son". Saying "DD14" is the same amount of information as saying "my 14 year old daughter" or simply "my daughter" or "my 14 year old".

I mean, it doesn't upset me, per se. If that's how people want to type, then whatever. It doesn't ruin my day or anything. It's just a minor pet peeve of mine, just like when someone types an entire paragraph with no capital letters and no periods to show where once sentence ends and where a new one begins.

SplashMtn.

Scooters....

:mad:MOTOR SCOOTERS for OVERWEIGHT people. I can't stand the lazy guests who waste everyones time stopping the busses an extra 10 minuets to get on the bus with there stupid scooters,, and then they get off them and walk onto the bus. Its horrible. Scooters are for the elderly and handicapped, not the FAT.

goodtimes5286

You Know what grinds my gears is when people walk around bearfoot at the park!

What grinds my gears is when people talk too mauc in the queue for rides!

What grinds my gears is Crying, spoiled children that don't get their way and HIT their parents!

What grinds my gears is when people throw gum on the ground and you step on it!

What Grinds My gears is when People don't throw away their trash!

What grinds my gears is when you are in the queue and the fast pass people stare at you!(in a way of bragging)

What grinds my gears is when Parents put 10 year olds in strollers!

I hate it when people do this stuff!
lol ive never seen anyone walk around barefoot in the park to be honest

i love it when people talk in the queue, its better then everyone stairing at each other in awkard scilence. the coolest thing is when people play games in the queue

yeah i HATE spoiled children. idk what was up with the last trip i took but EVERYDAY i heard a double digit number of kids crying and it really "ground(?) my gears" And my dad say a mother smack her daughters cheeks b/c she wouldnt stop licking the table, the little girl picked her head up, slapped her mom across the face, and got right back too it. lol he told me he woulda pushed her teeth through the table if she did that to him lol

i dont like 10 y/os in strollers or being carried throughout the park and then complaining when they're not being moved. and thats why america is so fat...
I'm pretty laid back in the parks, and not much bothers me when I'm at Disney. However, I do have 2 issues:
1) People who abuse the characters, and ask "unmagical" questions about them within earshot of little kids
2) People who smoke outside the smoking locations

Number 1 is pretty obvious. As for Number 2, I get sick from smoke really easily. I don't have any issues with avoiding the smoking locations. But it's when people walk around smoking, or smoke in queue lines, or anywhere outside the locations, that irritate me.
number 2 gets me too :(
:mad:MOTOR SCOOTERS for OVERWEIGHT people. I can't stand the lazy guests who waste everyones time stopping the busses an extra 10 minuets to get on the bus with there stupid scooters,, and then they get off them and walk onto the bus. Its horrible. Scooters are for the elderly and handicapped, not the FAT.
probably my biggest pet peeve
Haha the OP must be a Family Guy fan>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVj7TRAu9iU

What grinds my gears is people who complain at Disney.
LMAO you stole that right out of my mouth!

I was gonna say "Peter Griffin really grinds my gears"

mickeymatt

I never said anyone should use names. I just think it doesn't hurt to say "my 15 year old son", "my three year old daughter", etc.

To me, it's pretty much along the lines of how, in our society today, we're too lazy to say "Kentucky Fried Chicken" or "Dairy Queen". So now we have to call them "KFC" and "DQ". Or the way some posters here have to type their whole post in text message type because they're too lazy to spell out the words. It seems like we've become so lazy anymore that it's a burden on us just to spell things out and use proper English and punctuation, etc.

I understand the whole "protect your kids" thing, but I really don't think that's what it's all about. It's about the convenience of just typing out an abbreviation, rather than spelling out "my 15 year old son". Saying "DD14" is the same amount of information as saying "my 14 year old daughter" or simply "my daughter" or "my 14 year old".

I mean, it doesn't upset me, per se. If that's how people want to type, then whatever. It doesn't ruin my day or anything. It's just a minor pet peeve of mine, just like when someone types an entire paragraph with no capital letters and no periods to show where once sentence ends and where a new one begins.
You mean to tell me that out of all the abbreviations that are used on this and many other message boards, DD and DS, or DW and DH is what really "grinds your gears"? I don't see the big deal. I use those abbreviations along with most others on here. I mean for that matter why not spell out Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party or Pirates of the Caribbean? IMHO it is no big deal:shrug:

drossjr

what drives me nuts is when your on an attraction and people are constantly talking loudly during the course of the ride or show!!! How rude when others are trying to enjoy the experience. Whisper if you must. :mad:

We went on POTC last year and could barely hear anything because of the group behind us.

I also hate the large tour groups that attack a single attraction and bury the fast pass or make the regular line go from 20 minutes to 2 hours! I hate their little flags too they carry, do you really need that if your all wearing the same neon yellow shirt with green shorts????????? :mad:

magicmaya

Original Poster
what drives me nuts is when your on an attraction and people are constantly talking loudly during the course of the ride or show!!! How rude when others are trying to enjoy the experience. Whisper if you must

I hate it when you are rding a ride for the 1st time and people talk about what's going to happen next!

Phonedave

You mean to tell me that out of all the abbreviations that are used on this and many other message boards, DD and DS, or DW and DH is what really "grinds your gears"? I don't see the big deal. I use those abbreviations along with most others on here. I mean for that matter why not spell out Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party or Pirates of the Caribbean? IMHO it is no big deal:shrug:

You can argue logic all you want. And I agree with you, it makes no sense.

However I am the same way. I will type HCoE, and ToT and PoC and I:RoE all day long. It's just something about DD6 and DH and DS4 that gets to me.

I don't call people on it, because I know it's silly. Just for some reason it irks me.

-dave

sbkline

Like I said...it doesn't ruin my day by any means, and it doesn't rile me up the way many of you get riled up by seeing people on scooters. I just find it somewhat annoying and very unnecessary.

Abbreviating Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party or Pirates of the Caribbean makes alot more sense because it saves a heck of alot more characters to abbreviate them. However, saying "DS" instead of "my son" doesn't really save all that much on either time or characters. Characterwise, it saves a whopping 4 characters (including the space). And by the time you stop to push down on the "shift" button to capitalize the letters, you're really not saving yourself any effort in not spelling it out. It's kind of like spending a nickel to save a penny.

I'm not totally opposed to abbreviations. They have their place. I admit that when I'm talking about certain attractions, such as the ones you mentioned, it is more convenient to abbreviate. But some things just aren't worth it. If it's gonna make someone have to stop and think what the heck it is that I am abbreviating, I may as well just spell it out. Such as "SM". Am I talking about Space Mountain or Splash Mountain? I may as well just spell it out, for clarity's sake, especially since it doesn't really take much more effort on my part just to write out the silly thing.

DisneyChik17

What really gets me is how people will spend THOUSANDS of dollars to go to a magical place of escape and look around to find an insurmountable number of things that really just tick them off.

Don't like trash? Pick it up. Don't like stepping in gum? Look where your going. Don't like crying kids? Disciple your own. Don't like "big people" in scooters? Stay in shape.

I am so amazed that "happy," healthy adults will focus so much on the negative in a place where they claim to be so happy and carefree. I have yet to read a single thing that directly interferes with any single guest having a good time in WDW, or in any other vacation destination. Just chill out and vacate that warped sense of superiority you all have because you are a non-littering, non- gum spitting, perfect child having, marathon runner with no health issues what so ever. Get off your high horse and have some fun!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what really GRINDS MY GEARS!

What really gets me is how people will spend THOUSANDS of dollars to go to a magical place of escape and look around to find an insurmountable number of things that really just tick them off.

Ok so I do agree with this but I don't think anyone is saying that it ticks them off so much that it ruins a vacation or anything. I just think they see something and get annoyed and then just go on with their vacation. With that said, I have two things that annoy me while in Disney. One is when I am in the cafeteria and see people using the refillable mugs from a previous year. I mean come on people, it is only 12.50 to purchase a new mug which in my opinion is a very reasonable price. The more I go to disney, the more I see this and I think it will eventually come to an end because people are abusing it. Now the next thing is the people with scooters who get priority over all the people who were standing in line. On my last Trip in Jan/Feb. my husband and I were in epcot and standing in line after the park had closed and after the extra magic hours. There was a long line of people who were already waiting about 15 minutes for the bus and got a seat on the bus when it came. Then a person on a scooter pulled up after the bus was already full and the bus driver let it on the bus. People who had waited their turn and got a seat had to get up and give up their seat. I don't think this is fair. If the bus had already started loading then they should have to wait for the next bus. I also think they should have to wait in line with like the others. I get that it is easier to load without people but why should they be allowed to get right on the bus after people who have already been waiting 15-20 minutes and let everyone in their party come on as well? Ok....I know I just opened a big can of worms so let the flaming begin..........

I just want to say that I don't let this ruin anything for me on vacation. I just get annoyed when it is late at night and I am tired and I see this happen.

Excuse my lack of grammer.....a bit sleepy today........

joanna71985

And how do you know that the person isn't overweight from an injury, or from medication, or from some other reason, and that is the reason why they have to use the ECV? There is no way to know. I'm sure the majority of people on the ECVs are using them because they HAVE to (not because they want to), especially the people on wheelchairs/ECVs from outside the parks.

magicmaya

Original Poster

Don't like trash? Pick it up. Don't like stepping in gum? Look where your going. Don't like crying kids? Disciple your own. Don't like "big people" in scooters? Stay in shape.

I am so amazed that "happy," healthy adults will focus so much on the negative in a place where they claim to be so happy and carefree. I have yet to read a single thing that directly interferes with any single guest having a good time in WDW, or in any other vacation destination. Just chill out and vacate that warped sense of superiority you all have because you are a non-littering, non- gum spitting, perfect child having, marathon runner with no health issues what so ever. Get off your high horse and have some fun!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what really GRINDS MY GEARS!

Actually we get our tickets from shades of green and get our marriot hotel suit for free.+ a dining plan, that's a 700 dollar trip:D

magicmaya

Original Poster
Ok so I do agree with this but I don't think anyone is saying that it ticks them off so much that it ruins a vacation or anything. I just think they see something and get annoyed and then just go on with their vacation. With that said, I have two things that annoy me while in Disney. One is when I am in the cafeteria and see people using the refillable mugs from a previous year. I mean come on people, it is only 12.50 to purchase a new mug which in my opinion is a very reasonable price. The more I go to disney, the more I see this and I think it will eventually come to an end because people are abusing it. Now the next thing is the people with scooters who get priority over all the people who were standing in line. On my last Trip in Jan/Feb. my husband and I were in epcot and standing in line after the park had closed and after the extra magic hours. There was a long line of people who were already waiting about 15 minutes for the bus and got a seat on the bus when it came. Then a person on a scooter pulled up after the bus was already full and the bus driver let it on the bus. People who had waited their turn and got a seat had to get up and give up their seat. I don't think this is fair. If the bus had already started loading then they should have to wait for the next bus. I also think they should have to wait in line with like the others. I get that it is easier to load without people but why should they be allowed to get right on the bus after people who have already been waiting 15-20 minutes and let everyone in their party come on as well? Ok....I know I just opened a big can of worms so let the flaming begin..........

I just want to say that I don't let this ruin anything for me on vacation. I just get annoyed when it is late at night and I am tired and I see this happen.

Excuse my lack of grammer.....a bit sleepy today........

Agreed.It's a bit annoying.I just keep my head up and enjoy my Vacation.Nothing like that has NEVER ruined my vacation.

polynesiangirl

Honestly, nothing annoys me so much that it ruins my time in WDW, obviously, or I wouldn't keep spending money to go back there.

I do feel disappointed when I see people littering - because I'm against it in general and also because Disney has seriously put a trash can like every 4 inches in every park, so, I just sort of find it baffling that someone wouldn't throw their garbage away in a garbage can. It's not like they make it hard to do so! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom