What do your think should go into the 20K area?

speck76

monothingie said:
Your most likely right about the MK right now. But keep in mind two very important factors.

First: We are comming off a travel/tourist lull caused by the 911 attacks. Attendence is up and rising, but the past two years numbers probably weren't that spectacular. Also these numbers are probably no where near the peak numbers in the 90's. As time progresses, I think WDW is going to see a major spike in attendence and the only way they can ensure this is to constantly add more attractions. Particullary E-Tckts. Unfortunatly (depending on how you look at it), the real attention getting attractions are thrill rides, MS and TT at Epcot for example. A show or some type of low-budget/"imagination" attraction like SGE simply will not do that area of the MK justice.

Second: It takes years to develop, design, and implement high caliber attractions. Splash Mountain, which I think is the best designed/themed/built flume rides ever, took years to develop. From the ride system, to the AAs, to the muscial score, it was a complicated and long process from design to construction. This process must be continuous and not be subject to constraints as "do the parks need additional attractions at this point in time?". A planning horizon of close to a decade is needed to constantly forecast and implment changes at WDW.

Even during the post 9/11 and recession years, the attendance at the MK was not as effected as it was at the other parks. While all parks were down, Epcot saw falling attendance even during the great years in the 90's, as did MGM. DAK has never really had any substantial attendance growth since the first full year of operation.

Most people that visit WDW go to the MK and 2 other parks........most don't visit all 4 in one visit.....the average LOS for visitors in this market supports that point, but not too many skip the MK.

While E-tickets are important for marketing purposes, anything can be marketed. The best year every attendance-wise for the MK was 1997......no e-ticket was added that year, actually, nothing had been added for 2 years (since the redo of Tomorrowland) except for the Cinderella Castle Cake thing. Actually, NOTHING was really added of any value at WDW that year.....so why the record attendance?

Indy95

speck76 said:
The best year every attendance-wise for the MK was 1997......no e-ticket was added that year, actually, nothing had been added for 2 years (since the redo of Tomorrowland) except for the Cinderella Castle Cake thing. Actually, NOTHING was really added of any value at WDW that year.....so why the record attendance?

Because Disney had started that HUGE marketing campaign for WDW's 25th that spilled over to 1997 (plus Animal Kingdom had not quite opened yet, leaving more time for guests to visit MK). That's why attendance was so high.

I think the best thing for the 20k area would be the Little Mermaid dark ride that was planned for DLP all those years ago. It's guaranteed to be super-popular, it's marketable, it's not too expensive, and most important to the MBAs, it's sure to sell tons of princess-themed merchandise. Personally, I think it's a slam-dunk.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
speck76 said:
Even during the post 9/11 and recession years, the attendance at the MK was not as effected as it was at the other parks. While all parks were down, Epcot saw falling attendance even during the great years in the 90's, as did MGM. DAK has never really had any substantial attendance growth since the first full year of operation.

Not to get off topic with this. You make some very good points and I really enjoy this discussion.

At Epcot and DAK, you saw declining attendence because of the lack of E tckts there. I loved Epcot during the 90's and it killed me that my two favorite FW pavillions Horizons and WoM were being closed or "seasonal" at the time. But untill TT (98/99) and MS (2003) came to epcot, there were no thrill rides there. and as you stated attendence suffered.

DAK is another story. It opened an incomplete park. CTX and KRR were insufficient to sustain a park. Hopefully EE will help in boosting numbers.

MGM is a brain teaser. That one I can't find any good answer related to what we are talking about of why the total attendence was flat/negative.

With regards to marketing, you're right, anything can be marketed. But quality and results of what is marketed is key. Look at how well they're doing with SGE for example. All this Stitch stuff is being thrown at us, and nothing is sticking. You can not successfully push something that is weak to begin with. Whatever goes there has to be able to gather attention and be unique to the park.

That portion of the MK is in need of something big for the 20K spot. The planning for this spot is something they can not afford to screw up by putting a meet and greet in for example. If they take the cheap route out now, it will cost them later.

LOS factors maybe changed by the new MYW ticketing scheme. If disney can boost los, then maybe attendence figures will change. To many there is potential financial incentive to spend more time at WDW.

-ADN

Night_Aaron

talk around the tunnels is that they're putting in a Tinkerbell meet and greet. Aparently you go into an area where everything gets progressively bigger around you so when you get to Tinkerbell you feel as if you shrunk to her size. She wouldn't talk or walk around, just sit and sign autographs. I've heard from people who heard from people who heard from managers that this will be put in this area. Who knows.

Lee

Adventurer
Night_Aaron said:
talk around the tunnels is that they're putting in a Tinkerbell meet and greet. Aparently you go into an area where everything gets progressively bigger around you so when you get to Tinkerbell you feel as if you shrunk to her size. She wouldn't talk or walk around, just sit and sign autographs. I've heard from people who heard from people who heard from managers that this will be put in this area. Who knows.

Yeah...I've heard that being thrown around...but I never heard that it was a done deal.

Legacy

Night_Aaron said:
I actually kinda like that idea. Although I think it would be a serious waste of space, I think it's a neat concept.

EDIT- Especially when another good-looking female walks in. Tink can act all jealous, which would make the guest mad, which would make them boycott Tink, which would mean more money for Stitch merchandise! YAY!

Chape19714

In My opinion, 1 or maybe 2 of these things should be put in:

1. The Little Mermaid Indoor "land" with the popular show from Tokyo DisneySea. The outdoor coaster would be left out, as it is a re-theamed version of the Barnstormer anyhow.

2. A New State of the Art Theatre that would house new Disney Shows that change every 1-2 years. Like the Hyperion Theatre at DCA. Good quality indoor stage entertainment with all the greatness of Broadway.

3. An expansion of Toontown with Rodger Rabbit's CARtoon Spin.

4. An Indoor Dark Ride, in my opinion to use the same technology as Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland, and also the Cat in the Hat Spinning tech. at IOA. A cross of the two. Hercules is just the film whimsical enough to fit the new technology. OR... perhaps another whimsical Disney Film such as Mary Poppins, or Alice in Wonderland. But Hercules would be my 1st choice.

5. Highly likely, a ride where Stitch would come and haunt classic Fantasyland-type movies. Expanding on the Stitch thing.

Those are my ideas. Keep posting yours.

Just Kidding about #5 :hammer: :lol: :hammer: :lol:

speck76

monothingie said:
LOS factors maybe changed by the new MYW ticketing scheme. If disney can boost los, then maybe attendence figures will change. To many there is potential financial incentive to spend more time at WDW.

-ADN

I agree.....the market is in a "wait and see" mode with MYW......as it could effect not only the LOS at WDW, but in the whole market. As there are not really any hotels being built right now, and none scheduled to open within the next 18 months, it could boost occupancy in the whole city.

MYW presents 1 challenge:

If less guests choose to park-hop, can the other parks stand on there own as full day attractions?

Epcot probably can, MGM....maybe, but DAK, not a chance.

mikeymouse

edwardtc said:
Yes, the entire ride was inside that building. They leave the boarding platform, swerve a few times in the moat, and head into the warehouse. That's where everything takes place. Then you come out of the "cave" and to Unload.

Cool! I wonder what it looked like from the surface up.

MonoRon

I would like to see something from Nightmare Before Christmas, maybe even a Robin Hood dark ride!

Actually what should go there is something with Stitch...I mean there is hardly anything in the park with him and everybody seems to love him. Why not make it a Stitch meet and greet! (Just Kidding!!! :lol: )

AllThatsJoey

I think they should put in a Starbucks, a CVS Pharmacy and a Subway. At the Subway they could have a meet n greet and you can meet Jarod and Clay Henry. That's HOT!!!

corrwill

I love the meet and greet tinkerbell idea, However, I think they should convert the old skyway building to Hangman's Tree (Peter's Hideout) and make it a Play area /meet and greet. You could even throw in Peter Pan and Friends. It would fit perfectly with ppf right next door.

As far as the 20K area, I think a ride is much needed after the fact that the space has been vacant for a good number of years. Since fantasyland is all about the fantasy in disney stories, it would have to fit along the lines of one of the classic films. I have always thought it should be a Little Mermaid ride. Ariel and her friends are perfect for fantasyland, plus she is quite popular at the grotto. Pinocchio, Bambi and Sleeping Beauty could use something there also. Even a Beauty and the Beast attraction would work.

The 100 acre wood is a good idea, but I always thought it should go in the Animal Kingdom somewhere. More room, plus they could make pooh's house, rabbit's house, ...etc big enough to go inside, much like toon town.

MonoRon

AllThatsJoey said:
I think they should put in a Starbucks, a CVS Pharmacy and a Subway. At the Subway they could have a meet n greet and you can meet Jarod and Clay Henry. That's HOT!!!

Jarod could make sandwhiches for you and explain all the different meats and sauces as he applies them. That would be hot!

Lee

Adventurer
Oooohhhh....I've got it!
How about a Monsters Inc. ride?

Oh...wait...that's (maybe) going somewhere else... :lookaroun

flFigment

After Many months I finally joined as a guest.
Looking at all the post and all the information on this thread an idea would be to do a dual ride incorporating two / three movies at once; Little Mermaid and Atlantis. Its all water related and easily able with the size to handle two attractions.
Little mermaid could load from the grotto side Atlantis could load from the villan meet and greet side. Guests would not be able to see the backstage areas because of the low profile of where guests would be sitting and experiencing both attractions from.
I know some people will say there is no lagoon there now it is just dirt but I don't think it is out of the question to make one. IN essence Disney could get two / three moviesw with one area and also bring back some artifacts from the original 20k ride to sort of make like a momento or tribute to it.
Just an idea.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hmmm... a waterland... nice idea! Just drop in a 20k sub out front and it`ll be complete.

Welcome to the boards flFigment.

tazhughes

I really like the concept of the Hercules ride that was already mentioned here, but why not add Greece to Epcot and make that the ride for it. It could be in the back so it looks like it is far away.
As for what I think should go there, I think it should be the House of Mouse Theatre on the half leading toward toontown. IMHO this creates a nice transition into toontown. Inside the theatre it would be a sitdown restaurant on the first floor with Mickey coming out and introducing shorts like he does in the show (think SciFi dine in theatre). There would also be a balcony area surrounding the dining area that has AA characters from all of the different movies and shows that can react to the shorts and mickey. Imagine a villains table up there where _______ (insert favorite villain here) boos and hisses at the show or heckles mickey. I think people would line up for this and it would give the MK another much needed sit down restaurant.
As for the other half on the side more in fantasy land, I like the idea of a dark ride based on a classic, or I would be ok with them moving the Voyage of the Little Mermaid over to that area and keeping a little mermaid meet and greet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom