What do your think should go into the 20K area?

akorny1

Would have been nice to have seen an updated 20,000 Leagues ride built. Perhaps something with a Tomorrowland theme more than a fantasyland theme. Maybe if the Imagineers took something from the Spiderman ride at Islands of Adventure, they could come up with something to keep people coming to the Magic Kingdom. Perhaps they could construct a huge message board for those to voice their feelings over Stich's "Needs to Make a" Great Escape.
An Aladdin themed ride, even though there's a ride in Adventureland. Perhaps a ride based on the Little Mermaid.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Call me crazy, and putting aside the whole Pixar /Disney thing. A Monsters inc. themed E -Ride would fit in well here.

Ride system would be a clone of the RnR minus the loops (keep it family friendly). It would be based on the "door action scene" towards the end of the movie.

Poisitives factors include: good themeing, successful movie tie in ($256 million dollar take at the box office), popular characters, favorable marketablity and merchandising.

At the bare minimum though, whatever goes in this place shouldn't be a clone from another park, and has to be better put together than a SGE type attraction.

MCBRIZZ5

AMEN no more clones and definitely no more stitch. Love the Hercules idea but why not put it in AK (beastly kingdom E-ride) or MGM.

Kevin7crash

Good Idea's

I think they should build a new state of the art Dark ride themed Beauty and the Beast just imagine travel through a haunted forest in a simulated carrige being just chased by wolves and then entering a dark enchanting castle and characters and coming fast to fast with a huge AA Beast and with all other Disney attraction you see it end Happily ever after! If they area is themed like a nice liitle paris village you could even add a Hunchback ride in the same area!
Bring On the New Fantasy Dark rides!

Kevin7crash :) :) :) :) :) :)

imagineer boy

monothingie said:
Call me crazy, and putting aside the whole Pixar /Disney thing. A Monsters inc. themed E -Ride would fit in well here.

Ride system would be a clone of the RnR minus the loops (keep it family friendly). It would be based on the "door action scene" towards the end of the movie.

Poisitives factors include: good themeing, successful movie tie in ($256 million dollar take at the box office), popular characters, favorable marketablity and merchandising.

At the bare minimum though, whatever goes in this place shouldn't be a clone from another park, and has to be better put together than a SGE type attraction.

Eeh, monster's inc wouldn't fit the theme of Fantaseyland very well.

Piebald

You guys gotta realize (unless it can be worked out somehow), that whatever goes here, shouldn't be something where you can easily see "backstage". I mean, imagine a coaster or flume ride, where little kids will go on and see *gasp* a bunch of trucks and CMs walking in and out of work (I haven't been back behind that area in a long time but from what I remember it's where the utilidors starts). Maybe some trees or something will help but who knows. I'm not really able to describe what I'm talking about so if someone can help me out I'd appreciate it. I'd like to see a Villains type ride, but instead of a coaster of flume, it should be an EMV (what kind of vehice though, I have no idea) where you travel around this crazy village or up a mountain and encounter all types of villains.

DisneyMemories

Ok forget the pooh idea (he got an attraction already) No dinosaurs in fantasy land either,but why not build onto Mickeys Toon Town and have a ride the celebrates all the disney charaters (mis spelled i know)ever created in a audio antimatronic version, where everyone see's old favorites and new ones in different sets from their movies or interacting in one,as the ride (boat,omni mover,etc)moves around one area will even give the villians credit with the dark music scores from fantasia while others play songs from their movies or other great disney music scores,not just cartoons,but disney movies as well all highlighting the magic that helped disney become what it is today. I mean this is an idea and other ideas could come of this. Oh well it's an idea.

Lynx04

Piebald said:
You guys gotta realize (unless it can be worked out somehow), that whatever goes here, shouldn't be something where you can easily see "backstage". I mean, imagine a coaster or flume ride, where little kids will go on and see *gasp* a bunch of trucks and CMs walking in and out of work (I haven't been back behind that area in a long time but from what I remember it's where the utilidors starts). Maybe some trees or something will help but who knows. I'm not really able to describe what I'm talking about so if someone can help me out I'd appreciate it. I'd like to see a Villains type ride, but instead of a coaster of flume, it should be an EMV (what kind of vehice though, I have no idea) where you travel around this crazy village or up a mountain and encounter all types of villains.

excellent point. Unlike DL a lot of the back stage area sits on the inner perimeter of the railroad. Whereas DL has majority of its backstage area on the outside of the railroad tracks. This made it a plus for when yo ride the mattahorn. The particular area in question at WDW has a backstage portion on the inner part. Anything that is built would have to either be all indoors or if it is out doors, if the attraction has any elevation on it. Guests would a have to face towards the center of the park, similar to what Splash does now.

Kevin

Mouse's Magic said:
A question for Lee...How much space is actually available? Could a "No Hair" Mountin be built in the space alloted?

Actually, here is a really cool picture of the 20k attraction from the air. You can really get a view of how huge the land is for the attraction. The show building for 20k was extremely large...

(FYI, it's not my picture. I got it from disneypix.com, which is a great site.)

Attachments

• s Toontown Fair.jpg
    s Toontown Fair.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 182

mikeymouse

Definately not a character greet ... should be another attraction. Its bad enough Fantasyland just lost the Skyway. It can't afford to lose another.

Tom

Beta Return
mikeymouse said:
WAIT! I thought the subs only went into that lil cave area and came out. Do they actually go inside that building?

Yes, the entire ride was inside that building. Thhey leave the boarding platform, swerve a few times in the moat, and head into the warehouse. That's where everything takes place. Then you come out of the "cave" and to Unload.

As for fitting a new ride in this area, they have to be REALLY careful with their sight lines. That building has a very low profile, since most of it is "underground". You can't see it from ToonTown because of this. Also, the back half of the building is backstage, right next to the "tunnel" main entrance and service lots. They'll have to do some major tree-planting, fence-installing, and install sound barriers if they allow the guests any closer to the back of the park than the lagoon allowed them before, or else they'll see, smell and hear the backstage area right there. Plus, nothing can get much higher or else you'll cross-contaminate the theming from Fantasyland, Tomorrowland and ToonTown. :hammer:

speck76

Before coming up with ideas on what should go into the old 20K area, you really need to look at the MK as a whole, and FL as a whole, and see what is missing, and what the current problems are.

The current problem with FL is the crowded feeling. whatever goes into this area needs to be better at moving the crowds into and out of FL. The main path through that area should be made wider (which appears to have happened).

Now, look at the MK as a whole. Does it really need a new attraction right now? ....Probably not, it just had Philharmagic, SGE, and Wishes added in the last year, plus Cinderellabration opens this year. Attendance is not suffering at the MK, and with the DL 50th marketing promotion starting in May and lasting 18 months, attendance is only going to go up.

That being said, if attendance is already on the upswing, what is needed is something that can soak up crowds......100 acre woods, a new show, both would be good at doing that. On the other hand, why would a show be added when the Galaxy Palace Theater in TL is vacant 90% of the year.

So, fast forward to the end of 2006, DL 50th market promo will be ending, Everest will be open at DAK, Epcot will be preparing for its 25th anniversary celebration marketing promotion, MGM will probably have had a new attraction open (after LMA) or something under construction, and it will have been a while since MK had anything new. Then will be the time to add something.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
speck76 said:
Now, look at the MK as a whole. Does it really need a new attraction right now? ....Probably not, it just had Philharmagic, SGE, and Wishes added in the last year, plus Cinderellabration opens this year. Attendance is not suffering at the MK, and with the DL 50th marketing promotion starting in May and lasting 18 months, attendance is only going to go up.

That being said, if attendance is already on the upswing, what is needed is something that can soak up crowds......100 acre woods, a new show, both would be good at doing that. On the other hand, why would a show be added when the Galaxy Palace Theater in TL is vacant 90% of the year.

Your most likely right about the MK right now. But keep in mind two very important factors.

First: We are comming off a travel/tourist lull caused by the 911 attacks. Attendence is up and rising, but the past two years numbers probably weren't that spectacular. Also these numbers are probably no where near the peak numbers in the 90's. As time progresses, I think WDW is going to see a major spike in attendence and the only way they can ensure this is to constantly add more attractions. Particullary E-Tckts. Unfortunatly (depending on how you look at it), the real attention getting attractions are thrill rides, MS and TT at Epcot for example. A show or some type of low-budget/"imagination" attraction like SGE simply will not do that area of the MK justice.

Second: It takes years to develop, design, and implement high caliber attractions. Splash Mountain, which I think is the best designed/themed/built flume rides ever, took years to develop. From the ride system, to the AAs, to the muscial score, it was a complicated and long process from design to construction. This process must be continuous and not be subject to constraints as "do the parks need additional attractions at this point in time?". A planning horizon of close to a decade is needed to constantly forecast and implment changes at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom