What did you do?

OG Runner

The weather differences do sometimes make the RunDisney events tougher. In January 2018, my sons and I were on the only
flight that went out of Boston that day due to a snowstorm. It was about 40 degrees with a bit of a breeze on Marathon morning
and it was still about 30 degrees warmer than what we had been running in.

Greenlawler

Long post feel free to skip of course. I just really have no venue to share this other than here.

All right got back from Ragnar this weekend.,...and I finished!

My first leg was at around 7:00 am Friday, the "Ragnar Leg" it was 10 miles, 4 of which all uphill over Lookout Mountain. I ran a 10:04, I was surprised at how well that went.

At about 8:00 pm Friday I ran 5.8, only one mile of uphill this time and I did 9:47

By this time my feet were horrible....hurting bad. Looks like I need to find a new brand of shoe.

Then at 5:00 am on Saturday I had an 8 mile leg. This one was just a continuous up and down (stupid geography), I struggled to get it done with an 11:05 pace

I am not exactly sure how I feel about the whole Ragnar experience. I ran with a team of twelve and we traveled in two vans. I only knew two of my teammates before hand, and I was the oldest one on the team :(. Of course I made some new friends but I think I would enjoy that experience more with people I already know. I mean during the race we were all kind of "in it together" so we had common purpose but as soon as it was over it was back to normal lives, I think we all realized how different we all were and even our team dinner was weird. I mean some of the team is still texting on our group text three days later and it's just strange, because we are just sooooo, different.

Anyways just wanted to unpack that a little. Thanks for your patience.

OG Runner

Long post feel free to skip of course. I just really have no venue to share this other than here.

My first leg was at around 7:00 am Friday, the "Ragnar Leg" it was 10 miles, 4 of which all uphill over Lookout Mountain. I ran a 10:04, I was surprised at how well that went.

At about 8:00 pm Friday I ran 5.8, only one mile of uphill this time and I did 9:47

By this time my feet were horrible....hurting bad. Looks like I need to find a new brand of shoe.

Then at 5:00 am on Saturday I had an 8 mile leg. This one was just a continuous up and down (stupid geography), I struggled to get it done with an 11:05 pace

I am not exactly sure how I feel about the whole Ragnar experience. I ran with a team of twelve and we traveled in two vans. I only knew two of my teammates before hand, and I was the oldest one on the team :(. Of course I made some new friends but I think I would enjoy that experience more with people I already know. I mean during the race we were all kind of "in it together" so we had common purpose but as soon as it was over it was back to normal lives, I think we all realized how different we all were and even our team dinner was weird. I mean some of the team is still texting on our group text three days later and it's just strange, because we are just sooooo, different.

So, all in all, you are being honest about your experience. I appreciate the honesty. I would have looked at your report with more
of sideways glance, if you had said, I ran three legs of a race with a bunch of people I had never met, but we traded friendship bracelets
when we were done and I just love them so much. :bored:

Swissmiss

Premium Member

That’s kind of a bummer. I participated in a race similar to a Ragnar the weekend after the DLP half (I shouldn’t have because I’m still paying for it with some nagging hip pain) but I really wanted to do it (plus it was the first edition of the race here). We were nine plus the team captain (who can’t run at the moment but really wanted to participate so she was the one who put the team together). Our only common link was our team captain - but that ended up being a great common link because she really thought about the personality of each person she asked to be on the team. Then we got together for dinner a few weeks before the event and people started to discover that they had mutual acquaintances / friends / coworkers. And I should add we had an added complexity of languages - some on the team spoke very little English and others very little French. We had an absolute blast and everyone wants to do it again together next year (though I’ll probably have to pass as it is likely to be the same weekend as the DLP half marathon).

As far as the race itself went, I was totally unprepared for the hilliness (hillyness?) of it, particularly as it was marketed as a race around the lake (210+ km - provided you didn’t get lost!) but it turns out that more of it was up and down instead of near the lake. Our fastest/strongest runner took about twice as long as normal to finish her (and the) last leg because of the elevation climb into the vineyards before it dropped back down to finish at the lake.

dreamfinder

Bike today.

Congrats! I've always questioned doing the local Ragnar, but would be going into it in an almost identical situation, and wondered how it would seem. I'd probably view it more as a one and done situation.

OG Runner

not so great. I have PTT (something tibial tendonitis) so no running for a while. I had to walk in the last 4 miles but since I was tracking the balloon ladies I still had time to ride Tower of Terror during the half :)
But you finished and pushed through to the end! Congratulations & Good Job! I ran an finished the Disney Marathon in 2014 & 2015. I was running the 2016 event and just was not feeling it. I had no energy and my legs felt like lead early. I took the bus from Animal Kingdom back to my hotel. I came back and finished again in 2018. (Yeah, I wanted the 25th medal) Just saying sometimes you are feeling
it and others not so much. You did do great!

OG Runner

I ran 6.1 miles last night, using a 4 minute run/30 second walk. Ran a 12:10 pace overall.
The run/walk works well. The run was relaxed and I still felt good when I was done. I have
another Half Marathon coming up the first week of December, to use as training. My last
race before the Disney Marathon in January.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Ran a half this morning in 42 degree weather, raining throughout, and 12 mph winds (gusting to mid-20’s)... but, set a new PR by over 17 minutes! Finished 2:27 and change.

As someone who has literally never run with music before, I broke down and bought a fancy pair of those bone conduction earphones they were promoting at Wine and Dine (glad I got the waterproof ones with the weather today!). I think it really made a difference in my time helping keep a steady-ish pace and pump me up a little bit (I think I have tended to get over anxious in the past and quickened my pace too much when I’ve gotten bored, which has caused me to wear out a little quicker and walk more).

After I got the headphones in yesterday, I spent sometime uploading a bunch of old songs from CD’s onto iTunes and putting together a running-specific playlist that stayed pretty peppy throughout the race. Well, with two exceptions: 1) I think the second song to pop up was “Let me clear my throat” (the one hit wonder song from the late-90’s), the refrain of “When I say freeze, you just freeze one time...” may not have been the best mantra as the rain turned to sleet 😆; and 2) about 2.5 miles in Bon Jovi popped up with Livin on a Prayer with the refrain of “Woah, you’re halfway there...” (spoiler alert: I was not halfway there).

Surprising myself a little, I actually found myself running to the rhythm a few times (run/dancing; rancing?) to a few classics (Love Rollercoaster; Penny Lane; Lovely Day by Bill Withers, Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder, Shiny Happy People by REM, Slow Ride by Foghat, anything by Huey Lewis and the News that popped up!).

Have another half next Saturday, I think I’ll be thawing out until then!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Not much running lately but a lot of walking home ... been getting out of the office later than usual and not willing to wait for a bus; each time I’ve pretty much made it home at the same time as the bus so while I may not be gaining any time, at least I’m getting some exercise.

dreamfinder

2.5@.5, 2@8, .5@7:30.

Not much running lately but a lot of walking home ... been getting out of the office later than usual and not willing to wait for a bus; each time I’ve pretty much made it home at the same time as the bus so while I may not be gaining any time, at least I’m getting some exercise.

No harm in that. As long as it's decent weather, a walk is always better than riding.

OG Runner

Do you have an injury or just in a funk?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom