What did you do?

Texas84

7 miles at 0730. 75F and 97% humidity. Totally soaked afterwards. Just wasn't motivated and seriously wanted to quit after 2 miles but I knew I would hit the zone about 3 miles and I did. Was on automatic until mile 5 when I hit Goose Alley. For some reason they were standing in the street and didn't move so I had to turn around and improvise the last two miles. These nitwits don't fly north. Ever. Plus it was yard sale Saturday. Traffic was really bad. But I still hit my training pace which was great considering the obstacle course.

Bike tomorrow and mow the jungle. We're only 22 inches above normal rainfall for this year.

Sumrdog

Kids triathlon today! My 10 year old finished in the top 5. She did awesome on the 150yd swim and 1 mile run, she lost some time on the bike ride and transitions. I didn't come prepared but a parent was required to run alongside the 4-5 year olds for biking and running. So I did 1.5 miles in my flip flops. My son 5, did way better with this race than his last one, he sprinted the whole run and I could barely keep up, footwear was a hindrance.
Now for some relaxing!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Kids triathlon today! My 10 year old finished in the top 5. She did awesome on the 150yd swim and 1 mile run, she lost some time on the bike ride and transitions. I didn't come prepared but a parent was required to run alongside the 4-5 year olds for biking and running. So I did 1.5 miles in my flip flops. My son 5, did way better with this race than his last one, he sprinted the whole run and I could barely keep up, footwear was a hindrance.
Now for some relaxing!
That is awesome. I hope to get my girl into it. Way to rock the flip flops too. ;)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
12.5 miles this morning at Oak Mtn. We changed trails, so distance turned into hill work. Holy cow. Did about 3,850 vert elevation gain. It was good and warm for us at 75 and 89% humidity at 6:15. My partner lost 8 lbs during the run. I dont weight myself, but I do know I went through 80+ oz's of fluids.

Time for beer and a good movie tonight. :D Make that beers'.... plural.

Ariel484

Yesterday - 2 miles in the heat and humidity...so 2 miles felt like 10.
Today - 8 miles @ 11:07. The first half was warm and sunny, and I went out too fast. During the second half the clouds rolled in and it was overcast and breezy, and I wished up and decided to slow down my pace. Still 90% humidity but the sun being gone helped a lot...so the second half was much better than the first half. :)

Sumrdog

Im telling you, when one of my girls completes her first Triathlon, Im gonna break down like a cheap set of furniture from Walmart. Im not a crier.... but deadgum, that's gonna break me down.
Well I almost cried...I was just so proud watching them. They both were all business, it was awesome!

LindsayLoves

Queens 10k this morning. 6.2 in 54:23 or @8:46/mile. My mind and body were not into this one, it was the first time I wanted to throw in the towel at a race. I knew I would finish but felt like walking from mile 3 on. At that point I decided 1. no looking at the watch and going nuts of my pace 2. walk through water stops and really get water into and onto my body. Those two things definitely aided in me getting through that race, I literally felt like I was running a pace around 10/mile. Next year I will be back to conquer this course, its very flat so I should be able to PR with some training and decent weather.

Nice work out there this weekend. It seems like everyone had some tough runs that they had to get through for better or worse. These crappy runs are the ones that make us stronger and able to push through in races that really count!

Outdoor 5k run through the cemetery. I was hoping some of you experienced runners can help me understand what's going on. This may sound silly, but since this is all so new to me.

My fasted 5k treadmill time was 40:40 (just last week). Today on my run I used the Strava run app. It's saying that my 3.1 mi run took 34 minutes. This is shocking to me. Now, I was able to practically run (and I use that term loosely because it certainly isn't very fast) without stopping. There were varied hills throughout the terrain - some very slight and others a tiny bit steeper. Are apps often incorrect? I just am surprised that my time was not longer considering what it normally is indoors. Would the hills account for any of the discrepancies?

Sumrdog

Outdoor 5k run through the cemetery. I was hoping some of you experienced runners can help me understand what's going on. This may sound silly, but since this is all so new to me.

My fasted 5k treadmill time was 40:40 (just last week). Today on my run I used the Strava run app. It's saying that my 3.1 mi run took 34 minutes. This is shocking to me. Now, I was able to practically run (and I use that term loosely because it certainly isn't very fast) without stopping. There were varied hills throughout the terrain - some very slight and others a tiny bit steeper. Are apps often incorrect? I just am surprised that my time was not longer considering what it normally is indoors. Would the hills account for any of the discrepancies?

My run tracker app is really accurate with distances but not elevation gain. If you think the distance is incorrect you could go online to gmaps pedometer.com and map out your run and see if the distance is accurate compared to your app.

I also think it is possible that you could run that much faster outside without the tedium of the treadmill. I know when I am on the treadmill I feel like I just can't get a good pace, I am constantly adjusting up or down. When I am outside I just go at the speed that feels right and it's just easier and I usually always go faster.
Happy running!

dreamfinder

Ehh, not totally familiar with that particular app. Some are good, some not so good. Depends on how often they take their measurements, and the course you ran. Try it on a known course and see what it does. Run laps around the local track, do a certified 5k course, etc. You should see how close it is. Admittedly those methods won't be 100% since we never run the way they measure, but it gives you an idea. But as @Ariel484 said, sometimes you just get into a groove outdoors and keep trucking. You may have not been pushing yourself on the TM as much as you are really capable of. You could be going faster downhill, but that is usually offset by a decrease going uphill.

@Donald Duck - Nice bling! Wear it with pride

Sat was 2mi@8, 2mi@6:24, 2mi@8 followed by 15-20 mins of core crap. Sun was my first actual full yoga class (even if it was streaming online from CA), followed by an 8mi run that evening. Should have been a 13mi@7:33, but I chose to run hills at 8:02,8:30,8:02,8:33,8:02,7:33,7:30,7:30 in the heat. Not ideal, but I'll take the (almost) negative splits at the end, and the fairly close to pace for the hills.

I am also finding that the periodic nagging knee pain is moving to a different area of the knee. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say it never was my IT band, but rather a lack of core strength/bad stride which I'm slowly correcting through the extra core work I'm doing daily. (Which amuses the cat to no end to watch me working on the abs)

We had some unexpected expenses that paycheck week so I had to put it off. I won't be able to indefinitely I'm sure. I ended up using an older more supportive pair, with inserts and I'm wearing compression sleeves to support my calves. I also got myself adjusted at the chiro and by the second visit my hip and knee felt back to normal - after almost three weeks of pain. So far I've been running pain free!

Thanks so much for the responses and you may be right regarding the treadmill tedium and getting "comfortable". I'm going to pay closer attention when I go out again to time and map out the distance beforehand to double check it against the app.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom