What did you do?

GenerationX

What baffles me is how little I have been sweating on these long runs. Maybe it's because I am running at a more relaxed pace for a long period of time?

That's my theory, too. I trained for and ran a half-marathon back in April. My Garmin watch tells me at all times what heart rate zone I'm in, and for those longer runs, I cruised in the low-aerobic zones for most of them. Didn't sweat that much. I sweat like crazy on my regular 3-5 mile runs, because I'm mostly in the high-aerobic zones for them.

surfsupdon

I finished my first 5 weeks of training for the WDW Half using a Higdon method.

It was an 8miler...so windy and cold here at the beach!! My run started as a west wind, so I ran South then North. Halfway through, the wind switched to NW and I had a stiff, cold, wind in my face for my 4 mile return. It was terrible!!!

BUT I DID IT!

GenerationX

The two hardest parts I found with training for the half-marathon were:
1. My knees (Between decades of sports and cartilage removal surgery, they're pretty beat up)
2. Time (It's hard to find blocks of time to run for 2-3 hours).
On the plus side, the endurance part was not a problem, and I easily adapted to eating a gel pack every 50 minutes.

I was pleasantly surprised after my 4 miles today over lunch to see my VO2 max tick up a point. According to my Garmin, my Fitness Age is now 7 years lower than my actual age. Now, if I could just work out enough to get that Fitness Age 30 years lower... :D

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
So I did 2 miles yesterday, normally that wouldn't just be my mileage and I wouldn't dare share my current struggle, but here I am and I am back to running regularly.
Flashback a couple years ago, I was getting over heated once in a while (started trying a couple things to help curb it and it worked for a while). I often just wear a tank and shorts to help keep me cooler and I always carry water.
Flashback a couple months ago, it seemed like every run I ran (no matter the distance) I over heated and got sick. My day would be ruined and the next day I felt like crap. So I stopped running, had the Doc's look at what's driving the overheating (they still don't know).

I'm now at 2 weeks of running every other day doing 2 - 2.5 miles. My body and mind want me to keep going with my mileage and speed up my pace (I'm holding my pace at a minute slower than normal) and those will both come soon, I'm just happy to be able to run again and not feel and be sick afterwards.

What's working, besides slowing down and low mileage build up? I'm trying to put more all natural protein in my body and not rely on carbs or protein supplements. Water water water. Sleep.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
So I did 2 miles yesterday, normally that wouldn't just be my mileage and I wouldn't dare share my current struggle, but here I am and I am back to running regularly.
Flashback a couple years ago, I was getting over heated once in a while (started trying a couple things to help curb it and it worked for a while). I often just wear a tank and shorts to help keep me cooler and I always carry water.
Flashback a couple months ago, it seemed like every run I ran (no matter the distance) I over heated and got sick. My day would be ruined and the next day I felt like crap. So I stopped running, had the Doc's look at what's driving the overheating (they still don't know).

I'm now at 2 weeks of running every other day doing 2 - 2.5 miles. My body and mind want me to keep going with my mileage and speed up my pace (I'm holding my pace at a minute slower than normal) and those will both come soon, I'm just happy to be able to run again and not feel and be sick afterwards.

What's working, besides slowing down and low mileage build up? I'm trying to put more all natural protein in my body and not rely on carbs or protein supplements. Water water water. Sleep.

How awful for you to get so over-heated it made you sick! Glad you are able to slowly (no pun intended!) get back into running.

Greenlawler

19 miles today. Gonna say this was the most pleasent long run I have had in years.

This in spite of watching my Titans getting their butts kicked. After I ran the first 14 miles watching that horrible game, I switched treadmills and ran watching Guy's Grocery Games for the last 5 miles.

I had zero issues. Maybe it was due to the much slower pace I ran, 5.4 miles per hour.

But I feel good now, except for the Titans loss lol.

Only one more long run before Disney Marathon Weekend.

Our hotel plans are still in flux. We have Coronado booked but waiting for a CM to see if we can do better.

GenerationX

Ran 3 miles over lunch hour today. I had a running buddy for about 1/3 of it, as a neighbor's dog saw me go past and decided to join me for the loop in my route. He stayed ahead of me darting back and forth across the yards as though he was running reconnaissance (making sure no squirrels would interfere with my run, I'm sure). His owner pulled him back into his yard as we passed back by.

Seeing the mention of a treadmill by @Greenlawler above made me wonder what people see as the advantages and disadvantages to running outside vs. a treadmill. Do most people just do one way or flex based on the situation? I work indoors all day, so I view getting to go outside (even in the cold or hot, and rain doesn't bother me) as a benefit in and of itself. I run outside exclusively.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Ran 3 miles over lunch hour today. I had a running buddy for about 1/3 of it, as a neighbor's dog saw me go past and decided to join me for the loop in my route. He stayed ahead of me darting back and forth across the yards as though he was running reconnaissance (making sure no squirrels would interfere with my run, I'm sure). His owner pulled him back into his yard as we passed back by.

Seeing the mention of a treadmill by @Greenlawler above made me wonder what people see as the advantages and disadvantages to running outside vs. a treadmill. Do most people just do one way or flex based on the situation? I work indoors all day, so I view getting to go outside (even in the cold or hot, and rain doesn't bother me) as a benefit in and of itself. I run outside exclusively.

I started on a treadmill because I didn’t feel confident about running outdoors on my own and would only run outside with a running buddy. As I gained confidence I would sometimes run on the treadmill at work or Run outside depending on mood, weather, time of day. Then Covid happened and the office gym got shut down until just a few months ago (renovations to the showers/changing rooms kept it closed for an additional year). I will be starting a half marathon training schedule in early January and since I don’t run outside when it is icy I will most likely go back to using the treadmill from time to time.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member

I've never run on a treadmill (or at least haven't since I was a kid), I'm not sure my 6'9" frame would fit safely on one anyway 😂. Even if I could, I just like getting outside and running on river trails or other new places, I personally don't think I'd ever keep up with running at all if I were doing it in a stationary location, but to each their own!

Speaking of, I got 3.5 miles in Tuesday after work and a little over 9.5 miles yesterday (day #2 of my patented last-minute Dopey training plan!). Yesterday was a bit of a slog. The day started out cold and with light rain (which is basically my ideal running weather since the heat sends my HR up to 190 quickly if I'm trying to keep a decent pace), but seemed to turn sunny, hot, and humid in a snap just as I started running. Seems like this happens any time I decide to do a longer run lately. With such great newfound power over the weather, I may have to change my avatar to the Heat Miser soon ;)
1670537325623.png

Greenlawler

I was told a long time ago running on a treadmill makes you slower.

I do not think this is accurate.

I have trained on a treadmill for many of my marathons. I have also trained outside for others.

I actually think training on a treadmill has been more beniificial. I like having all that information right there for me to look at while watching television.

Greenlawler

I ran a very slow 20 miles on Saturday.

I was only going to run 10 as that was what my training called for, but at mile 9 I felt great and decided I probably would not have the time to do 20 on Sunday. So I decided to go ahead and do 20 that day.

It was not a wise decision as the last eleven miles were among the slowest I have run lol.

Took me a four hours to finish those 20 miles. But I finished. Last really long run before Dopey.

I have one more 12 miler on Christmas Eve...and then it's game time.

See you guys in Orlando for Dopey. Even though my Tennessee Titans are losing I will be repping them with my gear. If you see a guy with Tennessee Titans merch on during Marathon weekend please say hi. I have never managed to meet any of you during race week.

On Sunday and Monday I did an hour on the elpitical.

Today I did a faster 3 miles. We got our hotel plans finalized this week as well. Stayng at Coronado for the 4-7th, Beach Club the 7th-10th.

I hurts to say it but I just cannot see me doing this again next year. This is my last year to be a Perfect Dopey, my fifteenth marathon. I am not getting any younger. When I started this journey I was only 35 years old. Now I am approaching 51.

Once I run one more half at Disney it will put me at over 1,000 Disney miles.

@FerretAfros can have the title, it's time I retire, gracefully.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom