What did you do?

Figment82

297303A4-7223-4EE6-8008-524FEC707D71.jpeg

OMG - the “feels like” temperature at the start of my half on Sunday is forecasted to be 25. 😳 I can’t remember what the temperatures were like at the 2018 WDW Half, but I’m thinking this is going to be colder. There’s even a freeze advisory - great motivation to run faster! I’m used to training in 90° weather! 😂

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Knocked out a virtual half today (should’ve done it a month or two ago when the cancelled live date had been, but oh well). I think my legs are still sore from Dopey and had to make my one Powerade bottle last, but had good weather (about 55F and overcast) and a nice run 😃

Swissmiss

Premium Member
View attachment 616579
OMG - the “feels like” temperature at the start of my half on Sunday is forecasted to be 25. 😳 I can’t remember what the temperatures were like at the 2018 WDW Half, but I’m thinking this is going to be colder. There’s even a freeze advisory - great motivation to run faster! I’m used to training in 90° weather! 😂

I think you are right that the temperature during the 2018 WDW Half was a bit warmer, but it will probably be very similar to the temperature during the 5K in 2018. Did a run this evening with some friends (we ran a bit more than 3.3 miles) and I’m glad that it wasn‘t colder than 33 degrees.

Figment82

I think you are right that the temperature during the 2018 WDW Half was a bit warmer, but it will probably be very similar to the temperature during the 5K in 2018. Did a run this evening with some friends (we ran a bit more than 3.3 miles) and I’m glad that it wasn‘t colder than 33 degrees.
You’re right, I think the 5K was colder - at least it won’t be as cold as 2010 (I didn’t run that year, but heard about the frozen water stops from a coworker). Thankfully I still have some warm weather gear from when I went panic shopping in 2017, so I just need to figure out the perfect combination where I won’t get too hot mid-run.

Are the 30s pretty average for you this time of year? I have no room to complain about it being cold, as I know I’ll be cursing out the heat/humidity in a couple months.

OG Runner

You’re right, I think the 5K was colder - at least it won’t be as cold as 2010 (I didn’t run that year, but heard about the frozen water stops from a coworker). Thankfully I still have some warm weather gear from when I went panic shopping in 2017, so I just need to figure out the perfect combination where I won’t get too hot mid-run.

Are the 30s pretty average for you this time of year? I have no room to complain about it being cold, as I know I’ll be cursing out the heat/humidity in a couple months.

You should definitely be set for a half. I usually warm up after a mile or so. I have more trouble cooling down in hot weather.

Swissmiss

Premium Member

30s are common, but we don’t usually have too many days below freezing (at least not in the city where I live - it’s a different story in the mountain regions). Overnight temps can dip a bit lower - to 25-28, but usually not lower. And after a really wet December, January has been mostly dry (but overcast) so it has made it “easier” to go out in the cold.

If you’ve got a running jacket that you can take off and tie around your waste mid-run, that is how I’d face the temps. I didn’t take my jacket off tonight, but when I looked at my run afterwards, I saw we were taking it really easy, which explains why I didn’t feel like I was overheating with it on. It was only a degree or two warmer the other day when I ran, and I did end up taking off my jacket because I started to feel too warm. And while I usually start my winter runs with a Buff around my neck, when I start feeling warmed up, I wrap it around my wrist until I finish my run.

Figment82

30s are common, but we don’t usually have too many days below freezing (at least not in the city where I live - it’s a different story in the mountain regions). Overnight temps can dip a bit lower - to 25-28, but usually not lower. And after a really wet December, January has been mostly dry (but overcast) so it has made it “easier” to go out in the cold.

If you’ve got a running jacket that you can take off and tie around your waste mid-run, that is how I’d face the temps. I didn’t take my jacket off tonight, but when I looked at my run afterwards, I saw we were taking it really easy, which explains why I didn’t feel like I was overheating with it on. It was only a degree or two warmer the other day when I ran, and I did end up taking off my jacket because I started to feel too warm. And while I usually start my winter runs with a Buff around my neck, when I start feeling warmed up, I wrap it around my wrist until I finish my run.
Yeah, layers are definitely the way to go. There’s a fine art in deciding what to wear - it seems like a degree change can mean the difference between overheating and being comfortable. And a Buff is a great idea!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
So apparently I need to only run races in the cold, because I PR’d by almost 2 minutes this morning! I honestly had no expectations of beating my 2020 time - I figured it was my “white whale.” Guess I just needed some near freezing temps to push me along. 😊

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

And me a tiny bit warmer, a bit more light and a few less hills. Started a 5K night race this evening but abandoned in the first lap - my back started to feel a bit like it was starting to spasm so it just wasn’t worth me doing a second lap. That being said, doing only one lap was in fact 2/3 of the distance and equivalent to 18 flights of stairs in elevation 😉

Figment82

And me a tiny bit warmer, a bit more light and a few less hills. Started a 5K night race this evening but abandoned in the first lap - my back started to feel a bit like it was starting to spasm so it just wasn’t worth me doing a second lap. That being said, doing only one lap was in fact 2/3 of the distance and equivalent to 18 flights of stairs in elevation 😉
Oh no! I hope you’re feeling better now! Definitely not worth pushing yourself through it and injuring yourself further. And wow, that’s quite the elevation change! I’d say you certainly got your workout in!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Oh no! I hope you’re feeling better now! Definitely not worth pushing yourself through it and injuring yourself further. And wow, that’s quite the elevation change! I’d say you certainly got your workout in!

My back is a bit stiff - if a good night’s rest doesn’t help, I have a heating rub I can put on it in the morning. It dawned on me after stopping that I should have probably put some on before going down to the race. And having just looked at my stats - no wonder I felt so spent - the first mile was among one of my fastest (The second mile was where most of the elevation was.

Figment82

My back is a bit stiff - if a good night’s rest doesn’t help, I have a heating rub I can put on it in the morning. It dawned on me after stopping that I should have probably put some on before going down to the race. And having just looked at my stats - no wonder I felt so spent - the first mile was among one of my fastest (The second mile was where most of the elevation was.
Hopefully rest will help loosen it up. My husband uses a homemade heating pad - just rice in a sock that he microwaves for a little bit. Seems to help if the pain isn’t too severe.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Hopefully rest will help loosen it up. My husband uses a homemade heating pad - just rice in a sock that he microwaves for a little bit. Seems to help if the pain isn’t too severe.

Thanks - it’s much better this morning but I will need to be careful today - not only am I teleworking but I have a really long meeting, which could be a recipe for disaster (too much time sitting still) but as I will only need to have my camera if I am intervening, I will be free to stand and walk around a bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom