What did you do?

Surferboy567

Two for one post, didn’t post yesterday so I will post about both runs today.

Yesterday, I did another maintenance walk. No expectations on pace just a walk. Started to get my original route back but didn’t see much because of the shorter distance.

Time: 31:33
Distance: 2.01
Avg Pace: 15:41

Today, was my longest run on record. My “long” run for this week was supposed to be 9.5 miles but since I am going to be running a half in two weeks I made it an even 10 miles. Had my full original route back and the weather looks good for my upcoming races. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Time: 2:10:04
Distance: 10.02
Avg Pace: 12:58

Next week starts my first of two back to back race weeks.

Surferboy567

It’s finally race week (at least for me). This morning I completed another maintenance run. Little more then a 5K distance.

Time: 42:40
Distance: 3.34
Avg Pace: 12:45

Surferboy567

Happy New Years Eve & Happy New Year Everyone!

Today, was my last run of 2020. It was a maintenance run. Less then a 5K distance.

Time: 42:39
Distance: 3.29
Avg Pace: 12:56

My next run and first run of 2021 will be the WDW 10K.

Surferboy567

Today, was a big day and marks a milestone in my training. My second ever runDisney event, as well as my first marathon weekend event. The Walt Disney World 10K! I really wanted to make a good effort on this and actively tried to PR during the entire race. To the point, that I think I overdid it. This was the first time I felt queasy (nothing major) during a run. That being said, I finished the race and I did in fact PR by a decent margin.

Since next week is the Walt Disney World Half I will be running it on the day. Using lessons learned from this race I don’t really have any pace expectations for that since it will be my first Half marathon as well as the first time running the half marathon distance. I will give it my best effort but I am not aiming to be as fast as this race but around the same range.

Anyways...here are the stats:

Time: 01:14:38
Distance: 6.22
Avg Pace: 11:59

Mile 1: 11:37
Mile 2: 11:32
Mile 3: 11:37
Mile 4: 11:52
Mile 5: 12:32
Mile 6: 12:26

Next week begins another race week! WDW Half!

PR’s achieved:

Best 5K: 35:36
Best 10K: 01:13:16

EDIT: Oh and one more thing, when you go to submit your times, they have added a feedback prompting a survey. Also a “place” section has been added they are probably going to say what you placed against everyone else. This is different from Wine & Dine. They are definitely trying to streamline the virtual races.

OG Runner

Okay, lets try an give this another start. 4.08 miles on January 1st at 13:30 pace 55:04 time. 4.55 miles on Sunday January 3rd. 12:55 pace, 58:49 time. Not sure what I am going to be training for, but I gain about 15 pounds when I couldn't run due to my knee and of course enjoying the foods during the holidays.

Surferboy567

A Monday post....you don’t see that from me. As it turns on I had to change my plans a little. I was initially planning on doing the WDW Half on Saturday. Their is however, a small chance weather could be an issue on Saturday. In the interest of staying as close to the race date as I can I will be running the Half Marathon on Friday instead. This throws off my training schedule but I have a way to fix that as well.

Normally my training works like this: Tuesday, Thursday Maintenance Run, Sunday Long run, every other week also adds in a Saturday Maintenance Walk.

Since I am running the half on a Friday for this week only my training plan will work like this. Monday, Wednesday Maintenance Run, Thursday Maintenance Walk, Friday WDW Half/Long Run. I will also be adding in another Maintenance Run on Sunday to bridge the gap. That way next week I can return back to my normal Tuesday, Thursday schedule which will put me back on track for the Fairytale Challenge training. It also works out because next week is a recovery week.

Anyways long explanations aside here are the stats for today’s maintenance run little more then a 5K distance.

Time: 42:49
Distance: 3.32
Avg Pace: 12:53

As for the pacing in my WDW Half as mentioned in my WDW 10K I expect it to be lower then the 10K. As this is my first half marathon.

EDIT: I do expect the pacing to be better then my normal runs though. I will give it my best effort.

Last edited:

OG Runner

I know everyone here is probably tired of hearing from me on this subject by Surferboy just gave me another example of why I hate
virtual races. The weather is supposed to be bad on Saturday, so I will just run the race on Friday. I have run on and off since high school.
I ran in a cross country meet in Rhode Island where it had been raining most of the previous week. To say the course was muddy would be an understatement, but we ran. I ran a race in 1976, in February, it started snowing the night before. We ran by people sledding that day.
I ran a 5 miler at Marblehead Beach in Massachusetts, it was 90 degrees out, with little or no shade on the course. (pretty sure I got heat stroke). Either way you ran when the race was scheduled, over the race course for the race, a virtual race is at best training. Even if you
are comparing times you are not competing. Someone running a 5k along the beach in New Hampshire is not the same as someone completing the same distance in Colorado. (Sorry for the rant. It doesn't look like I am going to be getting on board any time soon.)

Surferboy567

I know everyone here is probably tired of hearing from me on this subject by Surferboy just gave me another example of why I hate
virtual races. The weather is supposed to be bad on Saturday, so I will just run the race on Friday. I have run on and off since high school.
I ran in a cross country meet in Rhode Island where it had been raining most of the previous week. To say the course was muddy would be an understatement, but we ran. I ran a race in 1976, in February, it started snowing the night before. We ran by people sledding that day.
I ran a 5 miler at Marblehead Beach in Massachusetts, it was 90 degrees out, with little or no shade on the course. (pretty sure I got heat stroke). Either way you ran when the race was scheduled, over the race course for the race, a virtual race is at best training. Even if you
are comparing times you are not competing. Someone running a 5k along the beach in New Hampshire is not the same as someone completing the same distance in Colorado. (Sorry for the rant. It doesn't look like I am going to be getting on board any time soon.)
I think you are missing the point. It’s not about “competing”. It’s about being able to run a race when you physically can’t be there, or just want to have a goal to aspire to. Doing the Fairytale Challenge and really all these races, has been a longterm goal for me that I haven’t aspired to really ever in my life. The medals, being able to run in a runDisney event, and themes are a big motivator.

I do however, understand what you mean I disagree but understand where you are coming from. When I eventually run live races I will of course not have the flexibility I had with these virtual events. I don’t see the flexibility as a bad thing though.

EDIT: If anything it is good for a runDisney newcomer.

OG Runner

I think you are missing the point. It’s not about “competing”. It’s about being able to run a race when you physically can’t be there, or just want to have a goal to aspire to. Doing the Fairytale Challenge and really all these races, has been a longterm goal for me that I haven’t aspired to really ever in my life. The medals, being able to run in a runDisney event, and themes are a big motivator.

I do however, understand what you mean I disagree but understand where you are coming from. When I eventually run live races I will of course not have the flexibility I had with these virtual events. I don’t see the flexibility as a bad thing though.

EDIT: If anything it is good for a runDisney newcomer.

I hope you understand I do not have anything against you, or anyone else doing virtual races. (It is pretty much the only way to go now a days.) It is just the whole concept of virtual race. The organizers still present it as a competition and even if it was one, it would be an unfair one, where you have different people, running different courses, when ever they feel like it.

Surferboy567

I hope you understand I do not have anything against you, or anyone else doing virtual races. (It is pretty much the only way to go now a days.) It is just the whole concept of virtual race. The organizers still present it as a competition and even if it was one, it would be an unfair one, where you have different people, running different courses, when ever they feel like it.
Of course I understand you have nothing against those doing virtual races. This is a discussion board and we are just discussing. I really like hearing differing opinions because in the end they make you think about things differently.

Surferboy567

This morning I completed another maintenance run. Little more then a 5K distance.

Time: 42:38
Distance: 3.4
Avg Pace: 12:33

Another quick update: I am moving back my half marathon to my originally scheduled date of race day. Been checking the weather and it looks (fingers crossed) that the weather should be great for running.

I wanted to run it on race day alongside everyone else (virtually of course) and it looks like that is what I’ll be doing. This also fills in the hole in my training plan for this week.

I will have a maintenance walk on Friday and then I’ll be running the half on Saturday. This also negates the hole in the training plan and puts me on track to go back to my original training days of Tuesday and Thursday after the races are over to continue the Fairytale Challenge training.

Dopey starts tomorrow for those who are running good luck!

OG Runner

1st run in almost 3 weeks. My dad passed away suddenly on Christmas Eve and I have been eating my feelings for 2 weeks. Felt good to be running, and also be outside.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. It is always hard when you lose a family member. I think you will find the running will help. If nothing else
it gives you mind something different to focus on. I hope it helps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom