What did you do?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Just a little over 11 miles everyday since Monday.

A short 6.35 miles this morning in rain and 40-60mph wind gusts.

Planning a long run tomorrow, 22-30 miles.

Sunday will be a night run, prob 6-10 miles.

Cheers eveyone.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
It helps a LOT. I haven't been running much as of late, and it's killing me. When running, I can eat quite a bit, and still maintain. When not running, I have to be careful. Hopefully the weather will turn nice and whatever is up with my whole right thigh / knee / calf/ foot will work it's way out. I really should just committ to complete rest for it. But then I never listen to myself (Now my arch hurts after TKD last night), all kinds of crazy going on in the foot.

-dave
In the tail end of a schedule when the miles get long.... I can eat like a horse and lose weight *ducks from things being thrown by most girls*

:lol:

joel_maxwell

10 miles this am. PERFECT morning. 40, sunny. Just perfect.

Love my Garmin still. I have customized the 3 screens to scroll thought. Also, it is quite apparent that mapmyrun can be up to .5 miles off. Most of the time, about .1 or .2 tenths off. Still, huge if you are keeping up with your time.

My previous speed demon title might be in jeopardy. :lol:

Phonedave

5.23 this morning.

Finally, no ice on the trails (but a LOT of water and mud). Still ice on the river though. Good thing I copped out this years Polar Bear Plunge (really, not so much as for the cold, as for how insanely crowded it is - it is a nightmare trying to get into and out of the ocean)

Good news is, the only pain in my right leg is the 'normal' knee pain I always have. Maybe whatever was going on has finally decided to go. Now I can start running again. (Hangover 5K tomorrow - postponed twice from Jan 1)

-dave

scorp111

10 miles this am. PERFECT morning. 40, sunny. Just perfect.

Love my Garmin still. I have customized the 3 screens to scroll thought. Also, it is quite apparent that mapmyrun can be up to .5 miles off. Most of the time, about .1 or .2 tenths off. Still, huge if you are keeping up with your time.

My previous speed demon title might be in jeopardy.
:lol:

Not that my pace is in anyway comparable to yours, but it probably took me a month to get my Garmin time/pace down to what my Mapmyrun/stopwatch pace was :lol: Like you said, it wasn't huge amounts, or anything intentional, but just little things here or there. The best part about the 305 or any other GPS is you can make it up as you go along. If you cross a street earlier or later, a turn here or there, it does all the work. I actually have run some pretty crazy routes with the Garmin in an effort to reach a certain mileage :)

3 things I can say about my 4 miles @ 9:15 pace today:

1. I am going to have to carry water for shorter distances once it warms up. I have always been able to do 4-5 miles without water during the run, just before and after. Today it was 81 degrees, and I was wishing I had some around mile 3.

2. This was the best run I have had in weeks. It felt really good to worry about pace/form/breathing instead of whether the pain in my calf was getting better or worse. This is really the first time in 10 days that I finished what I set out to run, and with no issues.

3. Legs were fine, lungs struggled a little, HR was up. But less miles and warmer weather probably contributed to it all. Felt the slightest cramping in my upper calf after the cool down, foam rolled, and hope that is the end of it. The other pain originated from lower right, and this was upper left, so am pretty hopeful that the two are not related. Going to do another 4-5 miler tomorrow, as long as nothing develops tonight.

joel_maxwell

5.23 this morning.

Finally, no ice on the trails (but a LOT of water and mud). Still ice on the river though. Good thing I copped out this years Polar Bear Plunge (really, not so much as for the cold, as for how insanely crowded it is - it is a nightmare trying to get into and out of the ocean)

Good news is, the only pain in my right leg is the 'normal' knee pain I always have. Maybe whatever was going on has finally decided to go. Now I can start running again. (Hangover 5K tomorrow - postponed twice from Jan 1)

-dave
Good news Dave on the knee. I think my ankle is close to 100%. I have some normal stuff, but Ill take that just to be running again consistently.

Not that my pace is in anyway comparable to yours, but it probably took me a month to get my Garmin time/pace down to what my Mapmyrun/stopwatch pace was :lol: Like you said, it wasn't huge amounts, or anything intentional, but just little things here or there. The best part about the 305 or any other GPS is you can make it up as you go along. If you cross a street earlier or later, a turn here or there, it does all the work. I actually have run some pretty crazy routes with the Garmin in an effort to reach a certain mileage :)

3 things I can say about my 4 miles @ 9:15 pace today:

1. I am going to have to carry water for shorter distances once it warms up. I have always been able to do 4-5 miles without water during the run, just before and after. Today it was 81 degrees, and I was wishing I had some around mile 3.

2. This was the best run I have had in weeks. It felt really good to worry about pace/form/breathing instead of whether the pain in my calf was getting better or worse. This is really the first time in 10 days that I finished what I set out to run, and with no issues.

3. Legs were fine, lungs struggled a little, HR was up. But less miles and warmer weather probably contributed to it all. Felt the slightest cramping in my upper calf after the cool down, foam rolled, and hope that is the end of it. The other pain originated from lower right, and this was upper left, so am pretty hopeful that the two are not related. Going to do another 4-5 miler tomorrow, as long as nothing develops tonight.
Im still getting use to the pace display. I have it on "Most" so it updates quicker, but it still takes 20-30 yards at times to get to my pace on a flat after a hill climb or something. Still getting use to waiting and letting it calculate. Am i doing something wrong?

To your numbered:
1. I always take water with me on anything longer than 3 miles. Even in dead of winter. I feel naked without it. In the summer, obviously, I need a lot of it even on a 3-4 mile run. It is brutal in Alabama.

2. I know the feeling. That was me today. What a great day to run.

3. This is why I love wearing my HR monitor. I love looking at what the temp was, compared to my pace and the output of HR average and Max. I find that stuff interesting. Today, I had a 8:15 pace I think and I was around 165 average and 175 max. If it had been 60 degrees out, it would have been 175 average and 185 max. Anyway... interesting stuff to me.

scorp111

6.2 miles in 59:06, so 9:31 pace.

My first "timed" 10K under 60 minutes, although the first half of my half-marathon, I was right around an hour. That wasn't my intent when I started, just wanted some miles. During the run, I covered the 5K course coming up in 2 weeks, quite hilly for Florida. This run had 260 Feet of Elevation Gain, so it wasn't flat either. I know flat compared to most places!

Legs felt fine, foam rolled afterward. I think I can pick up on week 4 of my half-marathon training plan this week :)

Joel, I don't really know of anything to do different about the pace that shows, I do know that you are right, it can seem spotty over short distances. My default screen that I leave mine on shows:
Current Lap Pace
Current Lap Time
Heartrace
Current Lap Distance

I have mine set to default to 1 mile laps, and that way I am only focused on my current mile. I think it has helped me with my pace/speed that way, breaking each run down to smaller sections.

Phonedave

Today was Central Jersey Road Runners Club Hangover 5K

Normally it is Jan 1, hence the name. But because of course conditions it was postponed twice. So, just to keep it true to form, I was up until 1:00 AM eating pizza, drinking beer, and playing Trivial Pursuit (of which I won if I do say so).

30:36.46 - 9:52 pace

I really need to start trusting myself more. I again started WAY in the back of the pack, and spent the better part of the first mile weaving in and out of people. I think I stopped passing people around 2.5 miles.

The Phidippides award challenge is now at

WDW Marathon - 4 points
Cupids Chase 5K - 1 point
Hangover 5K - 1 point

6 points total - Bronze = 12, Silver = 16, Gold = 20

-dave

joel_maxwell

6.2 miles in 59:06, so 9:31 pace.

My first "timed" 10K under 60 minutes, although the first half of my half-marathon, I was right around an hour. That wasn't my intent when I started, just wanted some miles. During the run, I covered the 5K course coming up in 2 weeks, quite hilly for Florida. This run had 260 Feet of Elevation Gain, so it wasn't flat either. I know flat compared to most places!

Legs felt fine, foam rolled afterward. I think I can pick up on week 4 of my half-marathon training plan this week :)

Joel, I don't really know of anything to do different about the pace that shows, I do know that you are right, it can seem spotty over short distances. My default screen that I leave mine on shows:
Current Lap Pace
Current Lap Time
Heartrace
Current Lap Distance

I have mine set to default to 1 mile laps, and that way I am only focused on my current mile. I think it has helped me with my pace/speed that way, breaking each run down to smaller sections.
I have 3 different screens set up. 1 screen is for a normal run with the elasped time really big. Screen 2 is the pace really big and the 3rd screen has random info like HR, Calories etc.

I have it ring when i pass a mile too. Love that. I'll have to get use to the pace thing catching up a bit after I slow down going up a hill.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I have 3 different screens set up. 1 screen is for a normal run with the elasped time really big. Screen 2 is the pace really big and the 3rd screen has random info like HR, Calories etc.

I have it ring when i pass a mile too. Love that. I'll have to get use to the pace thing catching up a bit after I slow down going up a hill.

Nice.

Mine:
Screen 1:
-Pace (big)
-run time(small)
-distance (small)

Screen 2:
-time of day
-heading
-sunrise
-sunset

Screen 3:
-best pace
-avg pace
-total distance
-calories

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
73.12 miles last week. Just about about 2,500 total miles since last March (March is the beginning of my running season).

Ok, so Steve, Erin, the new cat Coach and a few others have inspired me with their stories about why they are running. I told Steve I would post my own story because we all have our reasons and demons. Sorry for the delay Steve...This will be the "in a nutshell" story:

-Was never a runner. Never ran. Just Judo over the years. Always had been slightly husky and being a short 5'3", it didn't help.
-Always had an issue with food. Never satisfied, always hungry.
-Entered art school at 18yrs old, and ballooned up to 220 pounds, on a 5'3" frame.
-22yrs old, decided to make changes and lose the weight. No fast food, no fried food, no desserts, no meat. Just fresh fruits, veggies, and fish and whole grains.
-With no excercise and a strict diet of healthy foods, I went from 220lbs in 2002 to 130lbs in 2005.
-Finished art school and began exhibiting professionally at 24yrs old.
-Mental demons my whole life, expressed it in my work, and went through a bad period with food again; except in the other direction...not eating.
-Entered graduate art school for my masters in 2007. Weight dropped to 90 pounds in 2009, with my clothes on. The disgusting "a" word. Long story though, anyway...
-My wife and I got me help (she is my life), and I began dealing with the mental crap.
-My body was wasting away from not eating, and I needed to eat to get physically better. One morning (March 16, 2010) I ate, and had some energy. Crazy me decided to run to burn it off. I thought, the more I run the more I can eat and get healthy. I couldn't run more than 1/3 mile without feeling like I was going into a cardiac arrest, at 29 yrs old. I kept up with it. Kept eating and running, eating and running, every day. The better my body got, I caught the running bug, and started racing, and eating healthy and regularly...
-Graduated with masters in painting, and professionally exhibiting/selling and teaching university studio art and art history.
-One year ago I was 90 pounds and couldn't run without dropping to the ground with dizzy spells and my heart shrivling up like a raisin. Today, I'm 126 pounds of lean muscle, super healthy heart, dealing with my head demons, putting in 70-80 mile weeks, running nutrition/physiology/equipment obsessed and running a 100 mile ultramarathon in a few weeks to celebrate my one year running anniversary.
That's all she wrote. Cheers.

scorp111

73.12 miles last week. Just about about 2,500 total miles since last March (March is the beginning of my running season).

Ok, so Steve, Erin, the new cat Coach and a few others have inspired me with their stories about why they are running. I told Steve I would post my own story because we all have our reasons and demons. Sorry for the delay Steve...This will be the "in a nutshell" story:

-Was never a runner. Never ran. Just Judo over the years. Always had been slightly husky and being a short 5'3", it didn't help.
-Entered art school at 18yrs old, and ballooned up to 220 pounds, on a 5'3" frame.
-22yrs old, decided to make changes and lose the weight. No fast food, no fried food, no desserts, no meat. Just fresh fruits, veggies, and fish and whole grains.
-With no excercise and a strict diet of healthy foods, I went from 220lbs in 2002 to 130lbs in 2005.
-Mental demons my whole life, expressed it in my work, and went through a bad period with food again; except in the other direction...not eating.
-Entered graduate art school for my masters in 2007. Weight dropped to 90 pounds in 2009, with my clothes on. The disgusting "a" word. Long story though, anyway...
-My wife and I got me help (she is my life), and I began dealing with the mental crap.
-My body was wasting away from not eating, and I needed to eat to get physically better. One morning (March 16, 2010) I ate, and had some energy. Crazy me decided to run to burn it off. I thought, the more I run the more I can eat and get healthy. I couldn't run more than 1/3 mile without feeling like I was going into a cardiac arrest, at 29 yrs old. I kept up with it. Kept eating and running, eating and running, every day. The better my body got, I caught the running bug, and started racing, and eating healthy and regularly...
-Graduated with masters in painting, and professionally exhibiting/selling and teaching university studio art and art history.
-One year ago I was 90 pounds and couldn't run without dropping to the ground with dizzy spells and my heart shrivling up like a raisin. Today, I'm 126 pounds of lean muscle, super healthy heart, dealing with my head demons, putting in 70-80 mile weeks, running nutrition/physiology/equipment obsessed and running a 100 mile ultramarathon in a few weeks to celebrate my one year running anniversary.

Awesome.

Pretty much sums it up. Great story Nick. Glad to have the insight, and again, fantastic story. Wish like heck I was closer to NJ, as I would love to be there to cheer you on your ultra!

Coach81

Wow.. thank you for sharing your story with us....

Congrats on your awesome success!!! Both physically, and mentally!!!

This morning.. got up and ran an "easy" 5k... still can't believe that I can say that... plan on going for either a 4 or 5 mile run again Wednesday...

We leave for our happy place this coming Friday.... hooooraaaayyyyyy!!!!

joel_maxwell

Nice.

Mine:
Screen 1:
-Pace (big)
-run time(small)
-distance (small)

Screen 2:
-time of day
-heading
-sunrise
-sunset

Screen 3:
-best pace
-avg pace
-total distance
-calories
To be more specifc:
Screen 1:
-Time (big)
-Pace(small)
-distance (small)

Screen 2:
-Pace (big)
-Time(small)
-distance (small)

Screen 3:
-avg HR
-time of day
-elevation
-calories

Question: do you have your pace set to "Most" in the pace smoothing option?

Question 2: once uploaded to Garmin Connect, I wish that it would show you your lap time compared to your elapsed time in your run as aposed to your lap time and moving time. Those seem to be the same to me. Anyway I can change it. I have looked and looked. See below.
Stats.jpg

joel_maxwell

You are wdwmagic's biggest loser.... :lookaroun.... weight that is. :D

Interesting read Nick. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on celebrating 1 year with an ultra.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Awesome.

Pretty much sums it up. Great story Nick. Glad to have the insight, and again, fantastic story. Wish like heck I was closer to NJ, as I would love to be there to cheer you on your ultra!

Thanks Steve. Sorry I took so long; I'm still pretty sensative about it, and this mental stuff will be a life-long process until I die...but the running keeps my head straight.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
To be more specifc:
Screen 1:
-Time (big)
-Pace(small)
-distance (small)

Screen 2:
-Pace (big)
-Time(small)
-distance (small)

Screen 3:
-avg HR
-time of day
-elevation
-calories

Question: do you have your pace set to "Most" in the pace smoothing option?

Question 2: once uploaded to Garmin Connect, I wish that it would show you your lap time compared to your elapsed time in your run as aposed to your lap time and moving time. Those seem to be the same to me. Anyway I can change it. I have looked and looked. See below.
View attachment 26970

I think my smoothing is set to normal; if you mean that the watch tracks less gps markers to save memory as opposed to recording every second.

2nd question: It doesn't show that???

Question for you: how did you post your stats on here? Remember we were discussing that about a week ago?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
You are wdwmagic's biggest loser.... :lookaroun.... weight that is. :D

Interesting read Nick. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on celebrating 1 year with an ultra.

and thanks Joel. Yeah, lost a ton of weight, then lost way more than I should have...dangerously more. I think my doctor was giving me a timeline, and I had a scared-straight moment before I began running with regards to my not eating and my heart. Oh well, it's in the past now.

joel_maxwell

I think my smoothing is set to normal; if you mean that the watch tracks less gps markers to save memory as opposed to recording every second.

2nd question: It doesn't show that???

Question for you: how did you post your stats on here? Remember we were discussing that about a week ago?
I might cahnge mine back to normal. It is supposedly better to have it read a lot so it doesnt have huge jumps in your pace, but I think it is having the adverse affect if i have to slow down for 10 yards or so and it jumps way up to 9:30 for instance, and then takes 50 yards to get back to normal. If it only read my pace every 10-20 yards, it would be a bit more accurate and not jump. Problem solved.

Do you upload your stats to Garmin Connect? I go here, log in (or create and account) plug in your watch, hit the upload button and it uploads all your stats. You can view all the incredible techy stuff. Love it. Here is another screen shot.

Stats2.jpg

Dave, is there a way to see you elasped time and your lap time once uploaded to GC? This just doesnt make sense that you would be able to view that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom