What did you do?

LindsayLoves

Brooklyn Half Recap - First Garmin Free Race

In the four days prior to this race I had some bad stuff going on with my right leg, tightness in the glute and hip which resulted in knee pain. The cause? Sitting in a terrible chair for a two days training course for work which apparently knocked my body right out of alignment. I knew I owed to it myself to at least attempt running this race and I promised my husband I would slow down or stop if the pain was too bad. I made the call yesterday to run Garmin free. Just run what I was feeling. I had already hit my A goal for the Half earlier this year so I was just going to enjoy my run through Brooklyn.

Getting up at 3:45 to get to Brooklyn at 6am was not pretty but with baggage closing at 6:20 I didn't have much of an option (subways aren't real frequent at the time of the morning). The race started at 7am so there was a pretty long wait post bag check but luckily there were plenty of port-o-potties in all the corrals. This race has exploded in size to over 25,000 runners making it the largest half in the country. After feeling pretty good the first 2 miles I figured I would just stay with the pack and hope that I could hold onto whatever pace I was running. At that point I could feel my knee, in the sense it didn't feel normal, but it was no where bad enough to stop so I focused on enjoying the race. So I enjoyed the race and my knee never felt funky. I ran hard and thought I would have to slow down in the second half but the exact opposite happened, I picked it up. At around mile 11 I saw the clock time and not knowing exactly when I crossed the start line I kind of realized if I held on I might PR. So I did just that and held on with all I had. Ended up crossing the finish line at 1:52, but I still had no idea what my time was.

Turns out running Garmin free let me get out of my head and run based on what my body wanted to run which was a PR - 1:45:48. I am so incredibly shocked with that time. Never did I think I would run that fast this spring. Huge lesson learned about trusting your body and so much more.

Sidenote- my leg tightness has worked itself out

bethram

@LindsayLoves - sounds like a great race, congrats on the PR!

My family and I ran the Loco Glo 5k this evening. It was my first night race and a lot of fun. I'm still dealing with stomach issues so I knew I wouldn't be funning too fast. As a result we didn't ask my MIL to come out and watch DS6, he ran the race with me. It was his first 5k and even though he asked to walk twice, we ran the whole thing because I challenged him to run to the next mile marker then he'd forget. He even ended in beating his sister by a few seconds which didn't make her happy. We finished in 30:46 which is my slowest 5k ever, but that's ok because I'm so proud of DS's accomplishment. Now if this stomach bug would go away...

Oh, I almost forgot, the kids spent an hour right before the race at one of those indoor trampoline parks and we never ate dinner. Luckily they had a lot of free food at the post race party.

diddy_mouse

Registered for a 5k yesterday! It'll be in July...in NC...so I know it'll be a hot one. I'm actually going to stick to a training plan this time around. My goal for this one is to PR. Found my finish time from the first one I did so I have a number to work against. After this race I am planning on the Midtown Raleigh 10k in September. :D Thought about going for the half but I don't think I'm ready for that distance yet.

dreamfinder

Sat was 7 miles of hills outside. Ended up having a 8min/mile pace. Doesn't sound bad, but I was psyched by doing mile 6 in 6:30, and mile 7 in 6:01. Admittedly, downhill helped those splits, but still was psyched to hit them at that point in a run regardless.

Sun was 10.1 miles, first 7 at 8 min pace, then last 5k at 21:30, negative splits on the mile or better.

Getting up at 3:45 to get to Brooklyn at 6am was not pretty but with baggage closing at 6:20 I didn't have much of an option (subways aren't real frequent at the time of the morning). The race started at 7am so there was a pretty long wait post bag check but luckily there were plenty of port-o-potties in all the corrals.

Sounds like a Disney race.....

OG Runner

In the four days prior to this race I had some bad stuff going on with my right leg, tightness in the glute and hip which resulted in knee pain. The cause? Sitting in a terrible chair for a two days training course for work which apparently knocked my body right out of alignment. I knew I owed to it myself to at least attempt running this race and I promised my husband I would slow down or stop if the pain was too bad. I made the call yesterday to run Garmin free. Just run what I was feeling. I had already hit my A goal for the Half earlier this year so I was just going to enjoy my run through Brooklyn.

Getting up at 3:45 to get to Brooklyn at 6am was not pretty but with baggage closing at 6:20 I didn't have much of an option (subways aren't real frequent at the time of the morning). The race started at 7am so there was a pretty long wait post bag check but luckily there were plenty of port-o-potties in all the corrals. This race has exploded in size to over 25,000 runners making it the largest half in the country. After feeling pretty good the first 2 miles I figured I would just stay with the pack and hope that I could hold onto whatever pace I was running. At that point I could feel my knee, in the sense it didn't feel normal, but it was no where bad enough to stop so I focused on enjoying the race. So I enjoyed the race and my knee never felt funky. I ran hard and thought I would have to slow down in the second half but the exact opposite happened, I picked it up. At around mile 11 I saw the clock time and not knowing exactly when I crossed the start line I kind of realized if I held on I might PR. So I did just that and held on with all I had. Ended up crossing the finish line at 1:52, but I still had no idea what my time was.

Turns out running Garmin free let me get out of my head and run based on what my body wanted to run which was a PR - 1:45:48. I am so incredibly shocked with that time. Never did I think I would run that fast this spring. Huge lesson learned about trusting your body and so much more.

Congrats! It great when you are cruising along, so well, you can't even tell how great you are doing.
Keep it up.

KCheatle

Wow! Just found this forum - fun! Well, so far I've done nothing today. But, I've been gradually getting back into running after getting some serious runner's knee this winter :( I started again last week just taking it easy and running 1.75 miles (didn't want to be too far from home if it flared up). While my knee felt awkward, it didn't hurt, and luckily, it didn't hurt the following day. So, this past Fri-Sat-Sun I ran 2 miles each day. Each run, my knee felt awkward, but not painful. And, today my knee feels fine. I increased my pace by ~30 sec/mile each run, too. Which made me happy :) So, now I may start venturing off a little more with my runs to slowly build myself back up to my normal 4-5 mile run.

imagination30

after a hecktic day at work and a sore hip from a fall this week .. , I had to work out the soreness , or it actually felt like a catch .. so a beautiful run aftwr work was in order.. to get ready for my annual 10k memorial day run. -
did 3.40 with a mile pace of 5.22 the hip was fine .. so we will see what the rest of the week brings!

imagination30

Third day at WDW. I'm beat. Have to go back home Tuesday.

Just checked and I'm in 4th place in the Chick-fil-A middle Georgia race series and 8th in the overall series after three races. Two more 10Ks to go. Maybe I can get some free chicken out of this.
any wdw morning runs ? , and my first run was the chick fila 5k 2 years ago...

JillC LI

I also booked dinner reservations at BOMA for the day after the Wine & Dine1/2. Very excited since I've never been to the Animal Kingdom Lodge before.

Interestingly, I've never been there either. Enjoy!

3.5 miles on the TM this morning. Easy pace. Had to catch up on General Hospital!

@Donald Duck - Nick, if you're still checking in here, we're all rooting for you later this week. Looking forward to following another McNaughton 500 thread. You got this!

Kristia

Wow!! Awesome PR!!

Kristia

3.5 miles today after a week or so of no running due to life's craziness! Glad I was able to hit the pavement today! I also booked dinner reservations at BOMA for the day after the Wine & Dine1/2. Very excited since I've never been to the Animal Kingdom Lodge before.
We are eating at Boma too but I forget what day I booked. I think I booked the day we get down there. Can't wait!

JillC LI

I remember when I first started running and getting to the 2 mile mark-I thought WOW-I just ran 2 miles, now I'm like -DANG, I only ran 2 miles. Boy, times have changed!:p

Yeah, I remember the VERY FIRST TIME I ever ran 2 miles straight. It was August 1995, and I had just met my husband a few weeks earlier. I was doing a program similar to Cto5K. Little did I know at that time I would eventually become a running addict :) I suppose that means next summer I celebrate 20 years as a runner!

@joel_maxwell, I saw you Liked my last post, but I haven't seen you post in awhile lately. Everything good?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom