What did you do?

bethram

3.6 miles followed up by yesterday's skipped Ultimate Abs. I had to shorten my run slightly so DH could leave for work since I had trouble getting out of bed. I'm usually up by 7am in the summer because I want to work out before the kids get up, but getting up early at 5:45 on run days still sucks.

LindsayLoves

Hello all! I just got back from a fantastic two weeks in magnificent state of Alaska where I ran only four times - twice at 1,200 feet (pictures will be posted to the Scenes from the road thread soon) which is whole lot harder than running at sea level and twice on a dreadmill which is super fun when the ship is moving and you have a slight fear of treadmills to start with....

Just two days back and it was Corporate Challenge time last night. For those of you who are not familiar with it, the CC is a 3.5 mile race that you run with your co-workers (in NYC we have two nights with 15,000 people each night so it is a very crowded race). Companies usually have matching shirts for their team members and depending on the company there are food and drinks afterwards at a tent or picnic set-up (no beer at our tent this year :() . The CC was my first race ever last year so I wanted to see how much I have improved in the past year with my speed and confidence.
This year: 3.5 miles @ 8:08 pace - 28:18
Last year: 3.5 miles @ 10:29 pace - 36:44

Not my fastest but I will take it seeing that it took place 12 hours after I started working a super physically demanding day.

/end longest post ever.

Ariel484

@LindsayLoves - honeymoon right? :) Sounds like a fantastic trip! Awesome job on the time improvement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday was lifting...I found a tutorial for ripping DVDs to iTunes and now have Ab Ripper X on my phone, so I'd like to start incorporating that into my routine. Definitely on the lifting days and hopefully on 1-2 other days each week.

Today was 3 miles with 3 sets of hilly intervals on the treadmill. Super tough but a good run overall.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I make my kids' books on Snapfish, but yours sound much cooler :)
LOL... as long as you do it, it is cool.

That's super neat! I make story albums for my family on Shutterfly. Usually they are focused around some life event or vacation. But I like your idea of doing one for each kid. Thanks for inspiring me!
Here is one of my favorite covers. She was fascinated by Tick Tock Crock. Found some old 70's illustrations, so I illustrated them. Front cover and back.

Forgive the thread drift everyone. Year 3.... three biscuits on the front cover. Its the little details.
Isabeau Sylvia Three Cover.jpg

Kristia

Hello all! I just got back from a fantastic two weeks in magnificent state of Alaska where I ran only four times - twice at 1,200 feet (pictures will be posted to the Scenes from the road thread soon) which is whole lot harder than running at sea level and twice on a dreadmill which is super fun when the ship is moving and you have a slight fear of treadmills to start with....

Just two days back and it was Corporate Challenge time last night. For those of you who are not familiar with it, the CC is a 3.5 mile race that you run with your co-workers (in NYC we have two nights with 15,000 people each night so it is a very crowded race). Companies usually have matching shirts for their team members and depending on the company there are food and drinks afterwards at a tent or picnic set-up (no beer at our tent this year :() . The CC was my first race ever last year so I wanted to see how much I have improved in the past year with my speed and confidence.

Not my fastest but I will take it seeing that it took place 12 hours after I started working a super physically demanding day.

/end longest post ever.
That trip sounds awesome! I have always wanted to do an Alaskan cruise! Awesome improvement from your first year! How did you get from a 10:29 pace to an 8:08 in a year? That is just great! I don't think I will ever be that fast no matter how much I run. Good job!

LindsayLoves

@Ariel484 - Thanks you! The trip was indeed my honeymoon, we were going to wait until August but work has been killer since we got hitched so decided to move it up a few months.

That trip sounds awesome! I have always wanted to do an Alaskan cruise! Awesome improvement from your first year! How did you get from a 10:29 pace to an 8:08 in a year? That is just great! I don't think I will ever be that fast no matter how much I run. Good job!

First - Alaska, it is amazing. It was my third time back and if it were in the budget I can say I would go every year. Each experience has been so different and wonderful with this one being the best because we went up to Denali for a few days (hence the 1,200 ft runs) and really went all out with the excursions, took the helicopter to the dogsled camp where we mushed, went on one of the ships from Deadliest Catch, walked on and touched a glacier, etc. Its pricey but so worthwhile!

As for the pace improvement I think a lot of it had to do with confidence in races (not to mention lots of training on hills and spending more time at the track than I would like). That first race I knew I could run 3.5 miles without stopping but I was so terrified of having to walk in my first race I went out really slow and steady so I think I could have done it closer to a 10 minute pace for sure. To qualify for the NYC marathon next year I have been doing a lot of 4 mile races (we have to do 9 qualifying races to get in, at any pace/time) and with those I have learned I CAN run fast because they are so short and sweet I can really push myself beyond my normal training pace. My husband paced me to a 4 miler a few weeks back at a 7:49 pace. He definitely pushed me to run faster than I was comfortable with but sometimes you just need to go beyond your comfort zone to see what you can really do. As Nick said above - go beyond your limits.

bethram

First - Alaska, it is amazing. It was my third time back and if it were in the budget I can say I would go every year. Each experience has been so different and wonderful with this one being the best because we went up to Denali for a few days (hence the 1,200 ft runs) and really went all out with the excursions, took the helicopter to the dogsled camp where we mushed, went on one of the ships from Deadliest Catch, walked on and touched a glacier, etc. Its pricey but so worthwhile!

We went on an Alaskan Cruise seven years ago and I would love to go again! I'm so jealous of your time in Denali and that you got to go on a ship from Deadliest Catch. Very cool!

Texas84

First work week under the Higdon Novice 2 half plan. I did 3 miles Tuesday, Wednesday and this morning. First time in a long time I've run consecutive days. Felt pretty good but I did slow it down a bit to get used to the new schedule. 5K Saturday.

So yesterday I'm out at about 0530 approaching an intersection and I hear a vehicle ahead of me but I don't see a thing. Then out of the darkness appears a pick-up with NO lights on. This morning, same thing! But I was looking for it this time. Completely dark, no lights on. Reflective gear doesn't help much in that situation.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Sports massage done.

Gathering components to rebuild my hydro rig.

Lost 15 lbs during the 500, gained back just a few. Going to try and keep slim for speed for the next 100 miler.

Go beyond your limits...
Sweet!

Im looking for just the right pouch to velcro to the top left of the Salomon vest. I want it to hold my iphone. Found a few good things, but all on the net. Need to find something local so I can check for size. It cant interfere with the toggle pulls that adjust the vest, nor block a clean exit for one of the fuel pods.

JillC LI

Did my first "prescribed" cross training for my marathon prep program. My program started last week. but I didn't really do the cross training since we were hauling hay and I kind of counted that as my exercise for the day. I got on my bike (first time in I don't know when) and did 30 minutes which was about 6 miles. In the past, I have been pretty terrible at doing anything other than running during my race training. This time I am really going to try and stick with the biking and see how that helps my runs.

I used the FIRST method 1.5 years ago to train for a PR in the 5K (3 days specified running workouts and 2 days C-T). I rode the stationary bike as my cross-training, and it REALLY helped, I think. Got that PR and then some!

. . .and twice on a dreadmill which is super fun when the ship is moving and you have a slight fear of treadmills to start with....

Yeah. I ran on the TM on a cruise ship about a year and a half ago, and it was not the best sensation. I preferred running on the deck where it seemed like it was thousand laps per mile! LOL
Great improvement on the Corporate Challenge!

JillC LI

Forgot to say congratulations on your marriage to @LindsayLoves. An Alaskan Cruise is on my must do list for the next few years.

And as for my running, did 1/3 mile intervals this morning for 4 miles. Wasn't very consistent though. Times on the intervals ranged from 8:27 to 9:14 by the end. Ugh. I do speed work much better on the TM but I couldn't resist the cool morning outdoor air today.

LindsayLoves

First work week under the Higdon Novice 2 half plan. I did 3 miles Tuesday, Wednesday and this morning. First time in a long time I've run consecutive days. Felt pretty good but I did slow it down a bit to get used to the new schedule. 5K Saturday.

I know its early but how are you liking the Higdon plan? I am thinking about trying one of his plans out but I love my rest days and feel the short runs back to back just don't do it for me training wise, injury wise, or just mentally.

That is great! It took me three years to consistently get under a 10-minute pace. But I'm old. :)

:D Thanks! I will never underestimate the power of my dwindling youth....

LindsayLoves

Forgot to say congratulations on your marriage to @LindsayLoves. An Alaskan Cruise is on my must do list for the next few years.

Aw thanks Jill! My ship was pretty small so there were cabins underneath the wrap around deck so no go for running (plus it was constantly in the 40s with a stiff wind on that deck), my best Alaskan cruise but also my coldest. I had 70s and sunshine back in 2009.

Kristia

That is great! It took me three years to consistently get under a 10-minute pace. But I'm old. :)
Haha! I'm going with that excuse too! I still not consistant with under 10 min pace during a race, but at least I can hit it once in awhile. Hoping to have it happen more this year!

Kristia

I know its early but how are you liking the Higdon plan? I am thinking about trying one of his plans out but I love my rest days and feel the short runs back to back just don't do it for me training wise, injury wise, or just mentally.
Are you training for a marathon? Check out his Marathon 3 program. I am trying that one this time around. It is supposed to be between the novice and the intermediate and is geared more for people who can't run a lot during the week (due to time or trying to avoid injury)
Monday - rest
Tues - run
Wed - cross-train
Thurs - tempo or pace run
Fri - rest
Sat - long run
Sun - cross-train

So far it is working well for me. I have had to switch a couple of the days around but overall, so far so good. It is still a little early to tell.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Sweet!

Im looking for just the right pouch to velcro to the top left of the Salomon vest. I want it to hold my iphone. Found a few good things, but all on the net. Need to find something local so I can check for size. It cant interfere with the toggle pulls that adjust the vest, nor block a clean exit for one of the fuel pods.
That's my boy...Frankensteining

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom