What did you do?

Mr mom

no run today:( 55/60 mile an hour winds, white outs and very icy sidewalks/roads means it will not happen. I'm dedicated but not stupid. I will just have to do that much more with the rest of my week, provided they get things cleaned up enough, if not I will have to break down and use the treadmill, oh the horror.

runningforit

Nice Thread;

I am just relaxing today as I have the New Orleans Half Marathon this weekend. I will only run a couple times this week...but I am looking forward to that event

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Morning All. Mercedes was awesome with great weather. Sunny and in the 30's (after a chilly 27 degree start). Great volunteers and very spirited.

Felt good all day for the most part. I could feel my knee getting tweaky at 13, but nothing out of the norm. So I pressed on with the plan and getting slightly faster. At 21 I was on course for a new PR. I was movin' and it felt great. At 21 I was at 3:07:00 and was about to down shift to a 8 minute pace but the knee couldnt take it. It was giving out and the pain set in. So Im glad I was mature enough to walk and let it settle down and then jog every now and then on the flats.

4:09:02 over all. Still faster than my first marathon. Great day. Had to have a beer at Casa Maxwell since the beer line was 50+ long. Not waiting on that. Wanted to see my kids.

261198_10200689528739839_2075652276_n.jpg

One story Id like to share I posted on FB:

The Last Mercedes Story: Long, but good. What's right with some kids today. I have to share this since I cant stop thinking about this kid and his dad and wanted time to write it. Mile 13 I saw a family at the turn going nuts for their dad. I didn’t really pay too much attention since this is so common, but they were very excited. Fast forward 2 hours and I was making the turn at mile 25 onto 20th street. The Dad was next to me again. His son was 8 blocks down looking for him. When the 12’ish year old kid spotted him, he went nuts. For the next 8 blocks, his son ran up the sidewalk freaking out yelling, “Dad, OMG, Im so proud of you. You are awesome Dad. I cant believe you are actually finishing a marathon. Dad, did you see our posters? You look incredible dad, I know you ran this part before, but we are so close.” so on and so forth…. for 8 blocks. The Dad was so winded that he really couldn’t even speak to his son, but he just smiled and gave thumbs up. There was one point when the kid was very close to us and I played dumb and said, “Is this your Dad?” he replied yes and I followed that with a “Buddy, your dad is awesome and schooling this race”. He was ecstatic. I’ll never know who teared up more, me or the dad, but I think it was close. Just incredible.

That is what is right with some kids. Kudos to the Dad for being an inspiration to his kids. They wont ever forget it.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
23-25 miles everday last week. Backing off of the 165 mi weeks for a bit and only doing about 120-130+ mi/week.

Today: my leather work bag weighs 10+ lbs empty. Dropped in two 20lb weights for a 50+lb total strapped to my back and did 105 flights of stairclimbers. I keep looking at my 500 mi elevation profile, and it's provoking me to build my quads up. Sent the pic to Joel post-workout...

Run hard.

joel_maxwell

23-25 miles everday last week. Backing off of the 165 mi weeks for a bit and only doing about 120-130+ mi/week.

Today: my leather work bag weighs 10+ lbs empty. Dropped in two 20lb weights for a 50+lb total strapped to my back and did 105 flights of stairclimbers. I keep looking at my 500 mi elevation profile, and it's provoking me to build my quads up. Sent the pic to Joel post-workout...

Run hard.
You left out the comment about the post run "I feel like hurling. But it is passing though" comment, which i replied, "Puke and Rally! Actually dont, I have a phobia...."

JillC LI

Hey all. Lots of great posts but I didn't hit Reply to them all because they were on different pages. Coryna, welcome back to running. Mr. Mom, glad you were smart about the white outs and ice - now it's time to sign up for a race yourself! :) Nick, great job keepin' on. Mark, nice race. A2grafix, congrats to you too on the race. Imagination 30 and Betham, nice runs. Kristi, congrats on getting into the Broad Street 10 miler and back out on the horse.

And Joel, you get your own paragraph. Congratulations on a strong smart finish. Your post brought tears to my eyes - first tears of laughter at that serious expression you were sporting in the photo with the beer...and then tears of sentimentality over your FB post. That's a fantastic story. Kudos to you in all respects.

As for me, 7 miles outdoors Saturday morning. The wind was wicked and slowed me down but I was happy to be outdoors. Another 5 miles this morning on the TM. Feeling good.

joel_maxwell

And Joel, you get your own paragraph. Congratulations on a strong smart finish. Your post brought tears to my eyes - first tears of laughter at that serious expression you were sporting in the photo with the beer...and then tears of sentimentality over your FB post. That's a fantastic story. Kudos to you in all respects.

As for me, 7 miles outdoors Saturday morning. The wind was wicked and slowed me down but I was happy to be outdoors. Another 5 miles this morning on the TM. Feeling good.
Thanks Jill. Ill be honest. I know the exact location in Highlands where I stopped to stretch my IT band at 21 when I said to myself, "Man, this sucks, but if I press on, I know Ill injury it worse... and Jill might kick my butt". LOL, What you dont see In the background are my two daughters in the Powerwheels Jeep almost running over me, the dachshund, the bird dog, the table and chairs and my 21 month old bailing mid drive and falling out. So it was an "all business" photo.

So, Ill work on getting my IT bands stronger and maybe next year Ill work on that PR. Always another day. As for the story, I swear I wanted to hug that dad and mom because they are doing something right. They must do the following: stay active with their kids, turn the TV off during dinner, put the phones away when they get home, and listen to them. I know this is assuming, but I cant tell you how many 11 year olds that wouldnt do this because they would be overwhelmed with potential embarrassment instead of pride.

Words dont describe that 6 or 7 minutes of this kids enamor for his dad. Wow, I hope we all have that kind of impact on someone. What a greater world this would turn into.

It was just profound.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Congrats Joel! Beating your first marathon time is a great achievement - and as Jill says, you ran it wisely to take care of the knee. Great story about the family - thanks for posting.

joel_maxwell

Congrats Joel! Beating your fist marathon time is a great achievement - and as Jill says, you ran it wisely to take care of the knee. Great story about the family - thanks for posting.
Thanks Steve. I feel like have gained a little self control and maturity that sometimes takes people many marathons. It took my 3 + years and 3 marathons. I saw a friend post that it took him to his 23rd marathon to realize finishing is good enough and he didnt have to kill himself to make a certain pace.

I feel Im ahead of the game. :)

Mr mom

Congrats Joel, good day for you and definitely for that other family. I decided to make up for yesterday and I think I will pay for it with sore legs tonight. At mile 14 my calf started to get real sore but I decided to run it out, it worked but it is starting to stiffen now, so ibuprofen day is here. Anyway a very healthy 18.6 miles

joel_maxwell

Congrats Joel, good day for you and definitely for that other family. I decided to make up for yesterday and I think I will pay for it with sore legs tonight. At mile 14 my calf started to get real sore but I decided to run it out, it worked but it is starting to stiffen now, so ibuprofen day is here. Anyway a very healthy 18.6 miles
Wow. Nice run. Well done.
I did Tapout Ripped Conditioning today. It worked out well that it wasn't a run day since it was pouring this morning :)
I think that cancels out. LOL. Good job.

joel_maxwell

It is Tuesday and Im feeling a lot better. Not that I was super sore, but my knee was sore if I sat too long. If I stood up for awhile, it was like it wasnt even sore. This morning when I got out of bed was the true test. Luckily, it felt pretty good.

Per Nick's recommendation, I ordered a Zensah knee compression sleeve yesterday and started IT band strengthening exercises again. I am determined to beat this; smartly. Hopefully if all goes well, Ill go out for a run Thursday and hit the pool Friday morning like usual. Time to ramp up for my Tri's.

Im still undecided about the Lake Martin 27 miler in little over a month. It is full of rolling hills, but non the less, it still climbs 3,000K of elevation change.

Lastly, Im very happy with my training since my muscles are not sore. I think I chuckled out loud yesteday when my mother texted me at 8am and said, "Are you going to make it into work today?" She should know, life moves on and even Sunday afternoon, I was playing Kinect with the kids.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

melflip8

Back in the game of training weeeeee. I have the Expedition Everest Challenge coming up first in May, followed up by the Disneyland Half in August/September...did some yoga tonight and need to get into my running routine. Slow and steady.

joel_maxwell

Back in the game of training weeeeee. I have the Expedition Everest Challenge coming up first in May, followed up by the Disneyland Half in August/September...did some yoga tonight and need to get into my running routine. Slow and steady.
I want to do this so bad. I want that compass bling. LOL.

During my full on Sunday, I saw multiple posters for this yoga group. They kept advertising, "Cure your pains from running, add Yoga" So good for you. ;)

Mr mom

I want to do this so bad. I want that compass bling. LOL.

During my full on Sunday, I saw multiple posters for this yoga group. They kept advertising, "Cure your pains from running, add Yoga" So good for you. ;)

Here they have a yoga plan specifically designed for runners and another for cyclers. a friend has been bugging me to get into it.

Mr mom

weather was calling for crap and it may yet happen but so far it has held off and I managed to get another 10.6 miles in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom