What did you do?

fmingo36

Ran the Southern TN Plunge Half Marathon this morning, and did edge out a new PR for the half at around 2:06:40 (waiting for the official results, as I let my Garmin continue after the line). A well put on small race, but I am not really happy with my results. Started off well, maybe too fast, and was at 59 Minutes at the halfway point (around 9 min per mile or sub 2 pace). Some hills on the back half got to me though, and I really struggled home. The course looked flatter on Map my Run than it ended up being and showed on my Garmin. Only mile 12 was decent in the final 5 miles. Oh well, live and learn, and train and improve!

But a PR is a PR, and now I am going to rest before my next Half Marathon tomorrow morning. This one, I am really just going to do what I can do, and expect to be 10-15 minutes slower than today. The only real benefit is I have run most of the course tomorrow, and it is almost as flat as you can get in Middle Tennessee, which should help me at least.

Way to go on today's race and good luck tomorrow!

scorp111

Ran the Music City Half in Nashville this morning :)

Who has two thumbs and is now qualified to be a Half-Fanatic? This guy!
How did I follow up yesterday's PR in the half-marathon? With a new PR!!! I am so excited right now!
After yesterday's struggle on the back 6 miles, I just kept telling myself to just run my race and concentrate on being smooth and keeping it going. The first 3 today, I was still too fast, but down just a little bit. Around mile 6, I was feeling good, and was thinking I could come close to yesterday’s time, if I just didn't blow up. At the 6.55 mark, I was 59 minutes again. Today however, I was able to keep my miles a lot steadier, and used my two ClifGels earlier. It still became a bit of a struggle at the end, but I knew with two miles to go, I had a chance at a 2nd PR this weekend. The splits would say that if I had any gas left, I actually had a chance at Sub 2 hour, but the fatigue was really setting in. Regardless, I finished so early, that my wife wasn't ready with the camera. I had told her 2:15 to 2:20 was where I would probably finish! I had a humorous moment at mile 12, when a guy at the aid station was yelling, "get the guy a Band-Aid, he needs a Band-Aid!" I looked at the guy running beside me and couldn’t see anything, so then I looked down at my hands. Only then did I realize that I had one bleeding nipple soaking through my white tech shirt which made it look like I had been shot! My first bloody nipple! At mile 12, I wasn't stopping for a Band-Aid, and it sure had people getting out of my way in the beer and pizza line afterward! Mile 12 of today’s race made my 1000th running mile since I began on October 6th of 2010.

Once I complete the application, I will be a Jupiter Level (4 moons) Half-Fanatic!
1 8:45.4
2 8:48.0
3 8:49.0
4 8:51.8
5 8:54.8
6 9:08.2
7 9:18.3
8 9:12.0
9 9:16.1
10 9:44.7
11 9:59.7
12 10:09.4
13 10:02.3
.18 1:29.8

2:02:24
Now a nice nap! My first full is in 60 days!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

How did I follow up yesterday's PR in the half-marathon? With a new PR!!! I am so excited right now!
After yesterday's struggle on the back 6 miles, I just kept telling myself to just run my race and concentrate on being smooth and keeping it going. The first 3 today, I was still too fast, but down just a little bit. Around mile 6, I was feeling good, and was thinking I could come close to yesterday’s time, if I just didn't blow up. At the 6.55 mark, I was 59 minutes again. Today however, I was able to keep my miles a lot steadier, and used my two ClifGels earlier. It still became a bit of a struggle at the end, but I knew with two miles to go, I had a chance at a 2nd PR this weekend. The splits would say that if I had any gas left, I actually had a chance at Sub 2 hour, but the fatigue was really setting in. Regardless, I finished so early, that my wife wasn't ready with the camera. I had told her 2:15 to 2:20 was where I would probably finish! I had a humorous moment at mile 12, when a guy at the aid station was yelling, "get the guy a Band-Aid, he needs a Band-Aid!" I looked at the guy running beside me and couldn’t see anything, so then I looked down at my hands. Only then did I realize that I had one bleeding nipple soaking through my white tech shirt which made it look like I had been shot! My first bloody nipple! At mile 12, I wasn't stopping for a Band-Aid, and it sure had people getting out of my way in the beer and pizza line afterward! Mile 12 of today’s race made my 1000th running mile since I began on October 6th of 2010.

Once I complete the application, I will be a Jupiter Level (4 moons) Half-Fanatic!

Very Nice on the PR. Congrats!

Dude, I LOL on that.

Set a new PR for a 5K today- 27.21.
Very Nice Beth. :wave:

joel_maxwell

Went out to Ruffner Mtn today to do my long run. It was a scaled back long run today since it was going to be on trails. With the progression, I should have done 10 or 11 this weekend, but I did 7. Holy cow. Im glad I have been practicing those hills for this trail run. It kicked my A** today.

7.06 miles
11:35 pace
1163 feet of elevation change
2510 feet ascended
2537 descended

It is like the hills I have been running on road, but now they are single track trails with vertical rock and tree root inclines and declines. I will be so sore tomorrow. I can already feel my ankles are very sore from the beating.

I will say that at one point, I stopped at a trail map to ensure I was going correctly, a couple walked up behind me and said, "you must be doing that Ruffner Mtn 21K", I replied "You better believe it".... the guy looked at me and said, "you must be crazy"... I guess I am. :lol:

scorp111

Went out to Ruffner Mtn today to do my long run. It was a scaled back long run today since it was going to be on trails. With the progression, I should have done 10 or 11 this weekend, but I did 7. Holy cow. Im glad I have been practicing those hills for this trail run. It kicked my A** today.

7.06 miles
11:35 pace
1163 feet of elevation change
2510 feet ascended
2537 descended

It is like the hills I have been running on road, but now they are single track trails with vertical rock and tree root inclines and declines. I will be so sore tomorrow. I can already feel my ankles are very sore from the beating.

I will say that at one point, I stopped at a trail map to ensure I was going correctly, a couple walked up behind me and said, "you must be doing that Ruffner Mtn 21K", I replied "You better believe it".... the guy looked at me and said, "you must be crazy"... I guess I am. :lol:

Intense!! Great training run Joel!

Texas84

Just got back from the Sunday Halloween party. Awesome as always. Lots of people limping around with their W&D half medals, including me and my cousin who ran her first official half. Our time was not good and I'll have to plug in the Garmin to see where we were slow, because we felt fast. I know the first mile was bad due to the congestion. But the weather is great here and I think I could have gone at least another 3 miles. We ran the last mile and a half to the finish.

dreamfinder

Congrats to everyone who kicked butt in races over the weekend. Starting to put the miles back on after a week of remembering how to walk without quads saying f' you. 7.5mi on Sat, 10mi on Sun. Followed em each by 5mi on the bike, which for some reason I decided to hate myself and kick it up to the point where it actually said my HR was in the cardio zone. But cross training is good for us. Right?

Phonedave

WDW Wine and Dine half. Seeing as we were up at 4:00 AM Friday morning. Left EPCOT at 10:30 PM that night, and then woke up at 8:30 AM on Saturday and did Animal Kingdom all day, I was not exactly rested for a 10:00 PM Saturday race.

Turned in a 2:28:48 time - including a rest stop and a few picture stops along the way. So maybe if I didn't do those pictures I would guess 2:20:00.

Thats good for me. Much better course this year, much better.

-dave

fmingo36

WDW Wine and Dine half. Seeing as we were up at 4:00 AM Friday morning. Left EPCOT at 10:30 PM that night, and then woke up at 8:30 AM on Saturday and did Animal Kingdom all day, I was not exactly rested for a 10:00 PM Saturday race.

Turned in a 2:28:48 time - including a rest stop and a few picture stops along the way. So maybe if I didn't do those pictures I would guess 2:20:00.

Thats good for me. Much better course this year, much better.

-dave

How was the course different this year?

Phonedave

How was the course different this year?

The loop back was gone! Hot damn. That made me so happy.

That roughly 3/4 mile loop back around a cone, before you start the approach to Hollywood Studios was not there. You just made a left hand turn.

I think they made up some of the missing milage in Hollywood Studios - we ran through the costuming tunnel the oppsite direction from both last years W&D half and the 2011 Marathon.

Since the finish line was out in the EPCOT parking lot (instead of behind Canada) they added some distance there too. I have the run on my Garmin and I will upload it and post a link tonight.

I lost the last .1 miles of the run or so because I over-ran the course. I ran 13.2 miles or so because of turns, and I had set it to record a hard 13.1.

You add a LOT of milage in DHS because of all the crazy turns in that place.

Overall, a MUCH better race and party than last year. Still some problems - I'll post a more complete report in the thread of this race - but much better overall.

-dave

fmingo36

That roughly 3/4 mile loop back around a cone, before you start the approach to Hollywood Studios was not there. You just made a left hand turn.

I think they made up some of the missing milage in Hollywood Studios - we ran through the costuming tunnel the oppsite direction from both last years W&D half and the 2011 Marathon.

Since the finish line was out in the EPCOT parking lot (instead of behind Canada) they added some distance there too. I have the run on my Garmin and I will upload it and post a link tonight.

I lost the last .1 miles of the run or so because I over-ran the course. I ran 13.2 miles or so because of turns, and I had set it to record a hard 13.1.

Overall, a MUCH better race and party than last year. Still some problems - I'll post a more complete report in the thread of this race - but much better overall.
dave

You mean there's more places to run. I thought we hit every inch of that place last year. :lol:
Glad to hear that it was a better course for the runners this year.

Did they do the relay this year as well? The relay transition part was a mess last year; I'm wondering if they worked out some of those kinks as well.

Figment82

I don't post here anymore (since I'm such a slowpoke!) but I just had to chime in and agree with you Dave. With those two "out and backs" gone, the course was much better. A little dark and congested in places, but overall there was a lot of improvement.

Unfortunately, although we were on pace to beat our PR, I had to pull up around mile 5 with terrible muscle cramps running from my arches to my thighs. There was no jogging to be done after that. I was so disappointed, but still proud that I was able to keep going and finish strong. We were still able to beat our time from last year and the January half, but not Disneyland. Hopefully I can work on preventing them from occurring again as we continue to train for the full in January.

Congrats to everyone on here - you all have been improving so much and are such great inspirations. You really help to motivate me to keep pushing myself!

Mr mom

Congrats, nicely done

dreamfinder

Wha? They got rid of that? Almost wish I had run it just to say I didn't have to run it. If that make any amount of sense. That loop is always killer.

joel_maxwell

Congrats to everyone who kicked butt in races over the weekend. Starting to put the miles back on after a week of remembering how to walk without quads saying f' you. 7.5mi on Sat, 10mi on Sun. Followed em each by 5mi on the bike, which for some reason I decided to hate myself and kick it up to the point where it actually said my HR was in the cardio zone. But cross training is good for us. Right?
Absolutely. I love everyone kicking butt and making a great showing for wdwmagic running section.

-dave
I must see the Garmin Dave. Do you have Google Earth? If not, it would be cool to export as a GE file and then take a screen shot of it. I can help with that if you like.

Glad you finished well considering all the "vacationing"

Wha? They got rid of that? Almost wish I had run it just to say I didn't have to run it. If that make any amount of sense. That loop is always killer.
Me too. That section was a mental beat down. I had 2-3 miles worth of that in the Nashville Full and I just wanted to curl up in a ball due to the monotony

fmingo36

Both of my girls at school, had the day off from work, weather temp about 50 degrees-perfect day for a run!
Joel inspired me to try some hills so I set out in and ran a different course then usual. Was feeling great for the first 3 1/2 miles but then my knee pain started to act up on the downturn of the hills. Ended up running 5.75 miles at 10.26 pace.
Then I took the dog for a nice mile long walk and I still have an hour of weights to look forward to this evening.

I AM IN THE ZONE! :lol:

Phonedave

You mean there's more places to run. I thought we hit every inch of that place last year. :lol:
Glad to hear that it was a better course for the runners this year.

Did they do the relay this year as well? The relay transition part was a mess last year; I'm wondering if they worked out some of those kinks as well.

I though we covered DHS pretty well last year too, but I do think it was more this year. We were all over the place.

I was not a relay runner, but it looked like they had the relayers grouped by last name and thats how you found your partner. They did not make any announcement at race start to that effect though.

Along the same lines, they set up a runner meet-up area with places for friends and family to meet the runners - all by last name.

However they seemed to not tell a single damn person about it. My girlfriend was trying to get near the finish line to meet me, and she was told to go stand by the runner meet area. The woman next to her said her husband never mentioned a thing about the meet area, and they both went through the information packets. I read it 2 or 3 times too, and no mention was made of a meet area. Post race was better this year (bag check was great) but there was still some problems. LOTS of the volunteers at the event had no, or even worse, incorrect information.

-dave

Phonedave

I can't remember the street names, but we came over that overpass, and I could hear the Army Man off to my left shouting encouragement as you come up that freaking canted on ramp and I said to myself 'here comes the sucky part where you get to run to the cone and back" and then there was a big truck parked across the road, with the cones making a left turn.

My first thought was that there was some sort of problem and they cut the course short. It was only when I got to the next mile marker that I was positive the dreaded out and back was truly gone.

-dave

JillC LI

Congrats Steve and Beth on your PRs, nice job on those hills Joel, and great work to everyone who raced over the weekend!

While many around me are complaining about how summer truly appears to be over here on Long Island, I on the other hand am absolutely thrilled with this weather in the 60s! Yippee!

12 miles on the stationary bike last night. Later today I do my speed workout of 8 reps of 1/4 mile at 8:25 with 1 min 30 sec rest intervals.

joel_maxwell

Both of my girls at school, had the day off from work, weather temp about 50 degrees-perfect day for a run!
Joel inspired me to try some hills so I set out in and ran a different course then usual. Was feeling great for the first 3 1/2 miles but then my knee pain started to act up on the downturn of the hills. Ended up running 5.75 miles at 10.26 pace.
Then I took the dog for a nice mile long walk and I still have an hour of weights to look forward to this evening.

I AM IN THE ZONE! :lol:
At a girl. Nice job. Yes, the downhill is harder than the uphill on my body. It takes getting use to.

Congrats Steve and Beth on your PRs, nice job on those hills Joel, and great work to everyone who raced over the weekend!

While many around me are complaining about how summer truly appears to be over here on Long Island, I on the other hand am absolutely thrilled with this weather in the 60s! Yippee!

12 miles on the stationary bike last night. Later today I do my speed workout of 8 reps of 1/4 mile at 8:25 with 1 min 30 sec rest intervals.
Thanks Jill. This next statement is a BOLD one, but from the 7 miles of pure hell I ran Sunday, this 21K trail run might end up being harder than the Full I did in Nashville. No wonder they say "Come get crushed"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom