What did you do?

fmingo36

CORYNA!!! I followed you on the runDisney tracker...I knew it was the crow affecting your pace. Congratulations though, and I got he pic you sent too!

Thanks Nick!
The start of the race was such a cluster-f. It was 10 minutes to the start of
the race and people still weren't in their corrals. NOBODY was checking bibs to make sure you were in the right corral. At that point, People were just lined up on the side and joining in and not going into the corrals.
Then the first 2 mile or so was through Downtown Disney, through bag check gates and then through the parks. There was nowhere for the crowds to thin out. People were tripping over each other.
It really made me appreciate the space that DisneyWorld has for the races.

scorp111

Coryna, Congrats on the race!

Everyone else, some great runs out there, well done!

For me, I did do 7 on Saturday in the early afternoon with temps in the mid 90's in Cherokee, NC. But I did at least get it in.

Sunday, I did 14 at around 11 minutes per mile, and it was a much better run than Saturday, I was out before 7am. I ran a couple of loops around Cherokee and the Oconaluftee river, before heading down the trail to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park visitor center again. Right around mile 8.5, I was watching the trail to make sure that I wasn't going to trip, and I heard/then saw a large animal moving about say....4 feet away. It was a bull Elk and he moved about 4 feet of the trail and looked at me. I tried to look as harmless as possible, as if he charged me, I had no chance =) I then looked to my left, and saw his lady friend. I explained to him that I was no threat, and they could carry on, and I would just head down the trail =) After a few minutes to try to get my heartbeat back down, the rest of the run was pretty uneventful. This is actually my longest run ever, so I will take it and move on, even if I wish the pace was a little better. My legs were just pretty tired, especially the second half of the run. If it had been a race, I could have done more, and I wouldn't have run that mid-day 7 miles less than 18 hours before on Saturday

MKCP 1985

One major highlight for me, aftert the race as I was in line to go through the bag check (for the parks) to get back to the race transportation shuttle (another DISASTER that I will detail later), a gentleman in front of me says, "Hey, you're on WDWmagic, right? You're fmingo. Hey, I'm Wilt Dasney (aka BJ)!" Of course we talked about the race and took a picture or two. So cool!!! Love this Disney running family we got here!!!

That was no gentleman. :lol: Very cool, BJ is a good guy. I don't know how his finish time stacked up next to yours, but I'm pretty sure you could take him in air hockey. :lookaroun

Sad to hear the race is not as well done, but the finisher medal looks awesome, from what I've seen. Do you agree?

MKCP 1985

ack! Double post. Well, since I can't delete it, I will edit it to say I ran for 3.3 miles in 40 minutes today in a "let's get started with marathon training" run. Didn't push hard but made a commitment to getting back to running, even with this tropical storm/ tropical depression weather we've had since Friday. Yuck!

Felt good about finishing my run. Will keep it up and up the pace as the days and weeks go along.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Hi Everyone.
I'M BACK! :wave:
Completed the Disneyland 1/2 marathon in 2:38:55. I had a HORRIBLE 5K pace due to the horrendous crowds at the start, through DTD, and the parks. But once I hit the streets of Anaheim, I got into my groove and just kept running.
The race was OK, nothing like the ones in Florida. It really was more of an Anaheim race than a Disney race. We spent a lot of time running through the streets of Anaheim with the only entertainment being local high school marching bands and cheerleaders. I mean I appreciate the support but I signed up for a DISNEY race and was looking for the Disney magic.
The finishing line area was a mess and there NO characters once you got your medal to take pictures with.
I will be posting pictures on my Facebook page hopefully either later today or tomorrow.
One major highlight for me, aftert the race as I was in line to go through the bag check (for the parks) to get back to the race transportation shuttle (another DISASTER that I will detail later), a gentleman in front of me says, "Hey, you're on WDWmagic, right? You're fmingo. Hey, I'm Wilt Dasney (aka BJ)!" Of course we talked about the race and took a picture or two. So cool!!! Love this Disney running family we got here!!!
Cant wait to see pics. Nice job. I would say that the low of races like that are the crowds, but the high is that awesome bling!

I'm jealous! In Birmingham, AL, we have been locked into pretty hot weather. I am trying to work my way back into "playing shape" for a half marathon in late November, and it was still about 90 degrees for my 6:00 p.m. run last night. Three easy miles felt like a full-effort 10K.
What race are you doing? Something local? I will do the Vulcan again this year on Nov 8th and Im going to try the Ruffner Mtn 21K trail run on Nov 12th. Just curious if it is something local... might as well do it too. :lol:

joel_maxwell

Tropical Storm Lee has kicked our butt in Bham with flooding and rain. Saturday I got a run in before all the madness, then yesterday, I ran in the POURING rain. Awesome!

Saturday:
6.02 miles
55:44 (9:15 pace)
Hill Hill Hills. 537 vertical feet of change and 1,200 feet ascended.

Monday
3.74 miles
31:53 (8:31 pace)
Pouring ran. Loved it. Thanks "Lee"

Phonedave

OK. I need some help. I haven't ran in the past 4 years because I have a severe case of plantar fascitis. My feet have been feeling good lately and I want to get back into running again. Question is, how should I do this? How slow should I start (miles per run)? When should I increase? Any help would be appreciated.

As was said, spring for good shoes/inserts. Take is slow, you will be doing some run/walk before you do full running.

DO NOT try to push through the pain at first. With plantar fascitis, the pain can quickly become a re-injury that will have you out for months again. Later, when you have been running again, you can tell the difference between join/tendon pain and just muscle soreness.

-dave

JillC LI

OK. I need some help. I haven't ran in the past 4 years because I have a severe case of plantar fascitis. My feet have been feeling good lately and I want to get back into running again. Question is, how should I do this? How slow should I start (miles per run)? When should I increase? Any help would be appreciated.

Like other have said, good shoes and take it slow. Overeagerness to get back to a certain level of speed/distance can be your downfall.

Hi Everyone.
I'M BACK! :wave:
Completed the Disneyland 1/2 marathon in 2:38:55. I had a HORRIBLE 5K pace due to the horrendous crowds at the start, through DTD, and the parks. But once I hit the streets of Anaheim, I got into my groove and just kept running.
The race was OK, nothing like the ones in Florida. It really was more of an Anaheim race than a Disney race. We spent a lot of time running through the streets of Anaheim with the only entertainment being local high school marching bands and cheerleaders. I mean I appreciate the support but I signed up for a DISNEY race and was looking for the Disney magic.
The finishing line area was a mess and there NO characters once you got your medal to take pictures with.
I will be posting pictures on my Facebook page hopefully either later today or tomorrow.

Great job on the race. Crowds can be so frustrating. But how cool that Wilt Dasney recognized you and you had a chance to chat!

Sunday, I did 14 at around 11 minutes per mile, and it was a much better run than Saturday, I was out before 7am. I ran a couple of loops around Cherokee and the Oconaluftee river, before heading down the trail to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park visitor center again. Right around mile 8.5, I was watching the trail to make sure that I wasn't going to trip, and I heard/then saw a large animal moving about say....4 feet away. It was a bull Elk and he moved about 4 feet of the trail and looked at me. I tried to look as harmless as possible, as if he charged me, I had no chance =) I then looked to my left, and saw his lady friend. I explained to him that I was no threat, and they could carry on, and I would just head down the trail =) After a few minutes to try to get my heartbeat back down, the rest of the run was pretty uneventful.

Nice long run! I've heard of running with the bulls, but never running with the bull elks! :ROFLOL:

As for me, 7 miles on Saturday AM at 9:52 pace. Monday morning was my speed workout. I did 4 miles including 3 reps of 800m at 8:35 pace by 400m Rest Intervals. I've also been good about sticking with my cross-training on the stationary bike, about 12 miles per workout on high tension.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
19.25 miles this morning.
19.11 miles yesterday.
Keeping a steady ultra pace: 9min-10min pace.
Feeling some strain in my left knee, which I'll brace tomorrow, to match my right knee.
Three of the gnarled mutant nails that grew back after losing them; they themselves are now falling off. One bad one last night which I had to tear off and drain the blood filled blister. Don't worry, I am an expert now! I have dedicated knife, scissors and tweezers just for blisters/toes and I always soak them in 91% isopropyl alcohol.
Other than that, just the normal muscle strain and fatigue.
Cheers folks.

scorp111

4 recovery miles at 9:29 pace...

Nothing special... 59 degrees, raining, and a brisk North Wind, I think we skipped straight to November. A bit of a recovery run after the miles this weekend. First mile at almost 10, Pushed mile 2 and had it under 9, and just did the last two at 9:30

Katherine

Hey! So been reading a lot on here but thought I'd start posting too!

Today I ran 5 miles at an 8:48 pace. I don't know how you guys handle the heat, it's all treadmill for me.

Looking to run the 15k Miracle Mile run in Orlando, FL as a pre-race for the Wine and Dine!

fmingo36

Took Monday & Tuesday off after the 1/2 in Disneyland (and a little jet lag too).
Today, ran a quick three miles before work and tonight I'll get in an hour of pilates/yoga.

Need to start thinking about what I want to sign up for next. NEED that race registration to keep me motivated to run. MMMMM...I don't have a Donald medal, yet ;).

Phonedave

Last night 3.11 very wet and rainy miles - 29:37.

Not another person out and about in the park except one person letting his dog run loose. Man I hate that.

If weather holds (and shoes are dry) I'll try for 11 tonight. If not, then 11 is on Friday's schedule (which will make Saturday's Dumont 5K all the more fun :) )

-dave

JillC LI

Hey! So been reading a lot on here but thought I'd start posting too!

Today I ran 5 miles at an 8:48 pace. I don't know how you guys handle the heat, it's all treadmill for me.

Looking to run the 15k Miracle Mile run in Orlando, FL as a pre-race for the Wine and Dine!

Nice! Welcome to the board Katherine.

Nick, you definitely needed a disclaimer on your last post that I should not have read it while eating lunch! :hurl: :D Nice running stats though.

As for me, 4 miles on the TM this morning at 9:22 pace. And 11 miles last night on the stationary bike.

Ariel484

Last night 3.11 very wet and rainy miles - 29:37.

Not another person out and about in the park except one person letting his dog run loose. Man I hate that.

If weather holds (and shoes are dry) I'll try for 11 tonight. If not, then 11 is on Friday's schedule (which will make Saturday's Dumont 5K all the more fun :) )

-dave

This is a weird thing to come out of lurkdom to comment on, but...

Re: Wet shoes. You might already know this but I asked the guy at my local running store and this is what he recommended to get them to dry quickly:

Stuff newspaper into the shoes for 1 hour.
Take that newspaper out and replace it with new newspaper. Leave it in for 2-3 hours.
Take that newspaper out and replace it with new newspaper. Leave it in overnight.

Voila! I did that once after getting caught in a freak hail/rainstorm and it worked pretty well. Good luck with your 11-miler, whenever you get it in.

Blueliner

What race are you doing? Something local? I will do the Vulcan again this year on Nov 8th and Im going to try the Ruffner Mtn 21K trail run on Nov 12th. Just curious if it is something local... might as well do it too. :lol:

It is a half-marathon down in Orange Beach. Here is the link:

http://www.team-magic.com/events/kaisercoastal/index.html

I am going to have to watch myself on Thanksgiving Day and the day after.

That trail run sounds cool.

After soccer practice today, I hope to get out and take advantage of this gloriously cool weather we have in Birmingham right now.

joel_maxwell

It is a half-marathon down in Orange Beach. Here is the link:

http://www.team-magic.com/events/kaisercoastal/index.html

I am going to have to watch myself on Thanksgiving Day and the day after.

That trail run sounds cool.

After soccer practice today, I hope to get out and take advantage of this gloriously cool weather we have in Birmingham right now.
Oh yeh. I was looking at doing that one too if in fact we went to the beach for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, we arent heading south.

I ran 3 miles on lunch today. Awesome weather. I would have gone out this am early, but somewhere in the neighborhood is a transformer that keeps arching every 2 or 3 minutes since the storms. I didnt want to run near that in the dark.

scorp111

Another 4 @ 9:25....

Was supposed to be 7 today, but swapped with tomorrow, since the wife had dinner ready when I arrived home tonight. Ran this only an hour after eating, so just glad to get it in :)

7 tomorrow night is now the plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom