What are the crowds like in disney now with Harry Potter being open?

PurpleDragon

It'll definitely be over time of how it impacts WDW. Like I said, people seem to focus too much on MK when they think of it impacting WDW, when the parks that are going to be hurt by HP are EPCOT, DHS and AK. And it really doesn't have to be that way.

Exactly my point!! The amount guests Uni takes from WDW will be more over time than overnight, but in the end I think it will do more to boost Uni's attendance numbers than detract from WDW's. WDW guest numbers have been consistent for roughly 2 decades, regardless of what new attractions they or their competitors have opened.

nemobruce

Talked to a fried who went this morning , she said people are now being told that many of them will not get in to Harry Potter today and that parking opens at 6:30am tomorrow morning. If true how does Universal handle the guests who bought tickets just for Harry Potter and risked standing in line only to get turned away later and have no guarantee of getting in tomorrow? Talked to another friend who was able to get in last week they said the area is small and tight and the inside of the shops are very small. 100 plus degrees + thousands of people + long waits = not enjoyable.

gsimpson

high tide and all of that

I think this might be a case where the cliche a high tide floats all ships. If you were to travel from far away to see HP et al, wouldn't you be inclined to stop in to WDW as long as you were there? If the various reports are true then Uni should receive praise for creating a well done, very highly themed, complete attraction that did not suffer from penny pinching, that should have legs enough to attract people for years. This is only good for Orlando and all Orlando attractions, and especially WDW since almost everyone ends up there for at least a day or two. At lot of people still think WDW is nothing but the Magic Kingdom (an appalling display of ignorance I know), if they come to see HP and then stop over at WDW and see Epcot or the DHS they will learn the truth and probably come back for years.

PurpleDragon

I think this might be a case where the cliche a high tide floats all ships. If you were to travel from far away to see HP et al, wouldn't you be inclined to stop in to WDW as long as you were there? If the various reports are true then Uni should receive praise for creating a well done, very highly themed, complete attraction that did not suffer from penny pinching, that should have legs enough to attract people for years. This is only good for Orlando and all Orlando attractions, and especially WDW since almost everyone ends up there for at least a day or two. At lot of people still think WDW is nothing but the Magic Kingdom (an appalling display of ignorance I know), if they come to see HP and then stop over at WDW and see Epcot or the DHS they will learn the truth and probably come back for years.

Very good point!! :sohappy:

misterID

I'm not buying that. I've heard the "Potter will send loads of people to WDW" argument on these boards before and it just doesn't make any sense. Not saying that scenerio wouldn't happen, but not in anywhere near anything significant. It's much more likey someone swings by UNI on a WDW vacation than the other way around. The whole point of Potter is to snag people on WDW vacations. IOA will probably do a lot of local business, but if the tourists who were coming in specifically for UNI did visit the other Disney parks besides MK (because it makes sense that MK would see some visits, if that happens) I'm not sure they'd be all that impressed with them after coming from IOA, except for maybe DHS.

But I do think UNI and SeaWorld and other non Disney parks will see a better attendance in the future. I know they're all working together.

Evil Genius

Talked to a fried who went this morning , she said people are now being told that many of them will not get in to Harry Potter today and that parking opens at 6:30am tomorrow morning. If true how does Universal handle the guests who bought tickets just for Harry Potter and risked standing in line only to get turned away later and have no guarantee of getting in tomorrow? Talked to another friend who was able to get in last week they said the area is small and tight and the inside of the shops are very small. 100 plus degrees + thousands of people + long waits = not enjoyable.

^^This is EXACTLY what I've been saying all along!

I'll be interrested to see how Universal handles this as I see it becoming a major issue for them this summer. The WWoHP island is too small to accomodate the number of people desiring to experience it. With all the promotion and hype that has gone into this thing...they're going to be dealing with this for some time unless they find a way to fix it.

majorrfb

Right On

Not worth it IMHO. I'd just wait til Dec.-Jan. to go.

We are still debating. We are going to the World Dec 5-11. Harry Potter has come up in our conversations but no commitment as yet. We like the older park better which does not have the Potter exhibition. Oh well, Disney is our destination! :xmas::sohappy:

fosse76

Maybe, Maybe not. I know quite a few people who have gone on vacation to Orlando, gone to Universal and Sea World and didn't go anywhere near Disney World.

SpaceMtn#1

Well count me as someone who is going to visit Universal this year but not Disney. I was originally planning to go for the opening or during the first two weeks, but I am so glad I changed my mind! 9hrs just to get in the land?!? Crazy, but I guess I should know how crazy us Harry Potter fans could be after waiting in line for the new books all these years. I am now planning on going in September most probably.

I love, love, love Disney World, and it will always be on another level from Universal, but I also love Harry Potter and roller coasters. Ideally, I would visit both places in the same trip, but don't want to shell out the money and missing work for the length of time that would take. (I did visit both in 2005, and it was great. Coincidentally that's also the last time I've been to Universal.)

Since I haven't been to Universal in so long, and now they have Harry, that's the place for my vacation right now. But of course I will always go back to Disney in the future, definitely by the time Fantasyland is done and hopefully maybe even sooner.

Although it is awfully hard going to Orlando and not going to Disney World. I kind of feel like I'm cheating on Walt! :lol:

Monsterfan99

Found this http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...al-harry-potter-20100618,0,3387089,full.story

The lines were not magical for Patrick Greenwell of Owensboro, Ky. After waiting two hours to get into Islands of Adventure, he found the situation chaotic.

"There were no ropes or queue lines anywhere," he said. He and seven family members received conflicting information from Universal employees about where to stand, and they were once told it would be 10 hours before they'd hit Wizarding World.

They opted instead to go to guest services for refunds — but that took two and a half hours.

The last line is what gets me, a refund is A)available and is B) a 2 and half hour wait.

HouCuseChickie

Maybe, Maybe not. I know quite a few people who have gone on vacation to Orlando, gone to Universal and Sea World and didn't go anywhere near Disney World.

Exactly! I have one friend- taking her 7 and 4 yr old to Orlando for the first time in August- they are skipping WDW altogether and making this an all Universal trip to take in as much of Harry Potter as possible. I couldn't imagine taking my kids to Orlando for the first time and totally skipping Disney. I thought maybe she was the exception and not the rule, but various schools here are planning Orlando trips for the next year - some have cut WDW out completely in favor of Harry Potter while others have reduced the number of days at Disney to compensate for adequate time at Universal.

I doubt the Disney parks will look even close to barren from this, but I think over a year's time- Disney will see some of an impact in #s...even if it's just visible on paper. I also think this shift is temporary. I love Love LOVE Harry Potter- and plan to visit the attraction after the kids are little older and the buzz dies down, but unlike WDW- I think one trip to Hogwarts will likely be enough.

StageFrenzy

In my mind it is a win for Uni if they steal at least one day from a Disney vacation and a minor loss for Disney. Disney has structured itself to extract as much as they can from guests (not a bad thing). That one day of spending is a big thing for Uni

Thrill Seeker

I was there yesterday for the grand opening...

First of all you have to take into account that it was the grand opening, which is why all of this took place...

We arrived at the auto plaza at about 5 a.m. and were let in at 5:30. We parked, walked through Citywalk and made it over to the front of IOA by close to 6. We were actually let into IOA at 6:30, but nothing was open besides some food vendor carts. From there, we walked from the entrance through Marvel all the way around to Jurassic Park, where we were stopped. Waited right outside the Discovery Center until about 9:30ish, when they finally started letting people into the land. The grand opening ceremony was right around 9:30, but I wasn't able to see it. By the time my group made it onto the bridge connecting Potter with JP, the line apparently stretched all the way out to the Hard Rock Cafe.

We got into the land at about 9:45 and headed straight for Forbidden Journey. It only took about an hour to wait for that because we were among the first let in. While in the queue for that, I did catch a glimpse of the stars riding Flight of the Hippogriff right next door.

The queue for Forbidden Journey was amazing and worth waiting for by itself.

I wasn't able to ride because the restraint system is ridiculously small. It wasn't even because I was bigger, it was because my torso is long and my shoulders are too broad. I was even told by a Team Member to go complain to guest relations so they would spend the money to make modified vehicles. I didn't get around to it, but by the sound of things, it seems like they got enough complaints.

After the ride, we decided to explore Hogsmeade. The line for a Butterbeer at an outdoor cart was over an hour long when I got in and probably close to 2 when I got out. I did try a regular one as well as Pumpkin Juice. Both are extremely delicious and worth the weight. I'd recommend getting one of each at least as well as the mug for your Butterbeer.

The shops were extremely packed and it was very difficult to maneuver around in them. In Honeydukes (the candy shop) it was very difficult to figure out where the line to check out began. It actually wound around the shop a couple times and took at least 45 minutes. They do have pretty much every kind of candy you'd want to try from the books as well as generic Universal candy shop fare. The Chocolate Frogs are delicious and the Every Flavor Beans have some good, and some really nasty flavors. Avoid the purple ones...

Because Olivanders was at capacity and they wouldn't let anyone else in because the line to purchase wands was ridiculous, we called it a day at close to 2:30. As we were walking out, we saw the line to get in the land went from the edge of Seuss Landing, wrapped around the lake and went all the way across to Marvel, then looped around again. If you were at the end, you'd be lucky to make it into the land before park close at 10. The Forbidden Journey Queue did indeed go up to 7 hours and they apparently used some of the Spider Man extended queue for it.

All in all, although it was an absolutely crazy experience, it was worth it. I'm a die hard Potter fan, so it was just awesome to see all these places from the books with such detail put into them. It's a must see for all vacationers.

Mouse Man

Let's get to the bottom line. Universal finally gets people back into the parck for a small attraction at IOA. I was there last year and the park felt like we were the only ones alive. You could hear the crickets chirp. So Uni will have a crowd for about two years and will go back to being a ghost town. Uni does not have much to offer in resorts and they do not even compare to WDW's. We stayed a few years back at one after our Disney trip and was really disappointed and felt where did all the resort magic go. The other issue Uni has no where to expand, that will hurt any theme parks chances. So to hear that Uni with HP might hurt Disney, in the long run, I think NOT. WDW is the Resort/Theme Parks/Family Vacation. HP will be forgotten about a year or two after the last movies are shown. Can't imagine seeing HP at his 50th year at Hogwarts and can't imagine seeing Miss Grainger with a walker and a bad case of Gout :ROFLOL:

MKCP 1985

It would seem to me that if Harry Potter gets people to try Universal who have never gone before, if those people find the wait times unreasonably long, they may never go back to Universal and Disney will shine by comparison for its better organized crowd control. :shrug:

I'm pulling for Harry Potter to be a great experience, but there's no way in the world I'm waiting anywhere close to half a day just to get into the area, much less another long wait to experience the attractions.

Let's give them time to work out the kinks in the system. Opening day/week can be a nightmare for any park.

TimNRA757

I think the question that remains to be seen is how well will HP do in some years after the books and movies are not as popular as they are now. I know it has a cult following for now but these things tend to die out rather quick (isn't the series done now? I think it is, I have no idea as I really never enjoyed the 1 movie that I saw). Only time will tell, it's why I was (and still am) so opposed to Disney throwing Jack Sparrow in POTC, because in 10 years who's really going to know what that's all about?

JT3000

Let's get to the bottom line. Universal finally gets people back into the parck for a small attraction at IOA. I was there last year and the park felt like we were the only ones alive. You could hear the crickets chirp. So Uni will have a crowd for about two years and will go back to being a ghost town. Uni does not have much to offer in resorts and they do not even compare to WDW's. We stayed a few years back at one after our Disney trip and was really disappointed and felt where did all the resort magic go. The other issue Uni has no where to expand, that will hurt any theme parks chances. So to hear that Uni with HP might hurt Disney, in the long run, I think NOT. WDW is the Resort/Theme Parks/Family Vacation. HP will be forgotten about a year or two after the last movies are shown. Can't imagine seeing HP at his 50th year at Hogwarts and can't imagine seeing Miss Grainger with a walker and a bad case of Gout :ROFLOL:

1. WWOHP is not a "small attraction" by any stretch of the imagination.

2. Many would disagree with you regarding the quality of Universal's resorts. Of course, most of these people aren't Universal haters. Go figure.

3. Universal has all the space they could possibly need to expand for the foreseeable future.

4. Where do you get your crystal balls from? I want one.

redfive13

This makes me wonder what the waits for the new Fantasyland attractions will be like. Those are crazy wait times in a park that doesn't have the same draw as Disney. I'm thinking it could be about the same...

Edisto Pluto

It's interesting to read all of these debates, comments and theories. We have read the books and I've been dragged to the movies of HP but there is no real noise with our family on HP. The youngest is 19 now and we are going to WDW in December and he hasn't even mentioned HP or Uni. BTW he has been to WDW 10 times in his young life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom