What are the benefits of moderate over value?

bow0303

Just returned from Pop Century and its a nice resort. Considering moving up to moderate resort, but I wonder what the differences are between the two. From photos, the rooms only appear slightly larger. Not sure the difference in price is worth it for an extra 100 square feet. Please help. Thanks.

travelgip

It's not that the rooms are much better, but the amenities at the resorts improve as you move up. Sit down restaurants, better pools (some say) and much better theming.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

The other differences you will find are in the pool...Moderates will have a slide and hot tub. Also there will be TS resturant at the Moderates. Those 2 things are the main difference along with the little larger rooms

Upvote 0

Lucky

Pools at mods have water slides & hot tubs. One mod (Coronado) has a fitness center. Some mods (Coronado, POFQ) have queen instead of double beds. More comfortable bus stops - seats in the shade, instead of standing in a line out in the sun. Also fewer tour groups and unchaperoned gangs of kids wandering the property and making noise in the middle of the night.

Some of the benefits of mods over values may seem trivial, but add them all up and it can be worth the extra $$$, especially if you spend much time at the resort.

Upvote 0

bow0303

Original Poster
Thank you all. We dont intend to spend much time at the pool, but being able to wait for buses in the shade opposed to no shade would be worth the extra money. Would the bus stops be a little closer to the parks as well?

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

allears.net has an entire subsection of pages devoted to "accommodations." The main pages for each resort are meant to be more informative, but there are also plenty of reviews from people who both write for the site and from readers who have stayed there.

Other potential amenities include stuff like watercraft and bike rentals. Riverside has catch-and-release fishing. Coronado has a dance club as well as the aforementioned fitness club. Both Port Orleans resorts have water launches to Downtown Disney. Nicer grounds. And as has been written, options of sitdown restaurants (French Quarter shares with Riverside), bigger rooms, small refrigerators without having to pay an additional fee.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

The main advantage is a larger profit for Disney.....Of course if your paying it you might not consider it an advantage

To a degree it's true, but it's all relative. Disney has to pay for the upkeep of all those extra amenities, the enhanced grounds and landscaping, the full service restaurants (plus staff) which will all factor in to the price hike. Higher profit margin, sure, but don't think for a second it's pure profit.

Upvote 0

GOT2SAMMIES

I think if you are just staying for a couple of days and/or your main goal is to hit the parks all day, then value...
If you want to do more at your hotel and/or have a longer stay then moderate.

we stayed in POR in Nov for a week and then All Star Sports two weeks ago for two nights/three days and honestly I loved both...same shampoo, soap ect.. basically same food in the morning (with quick service) with waffles , omlettes... the dinner selections were smaller at the the value (but both did have a "chef" selection)
POR had a two bars as Sports only has the one
rooms were smaller but I liked the bedding (sheet set) at the value better b/c it has mickey on them...
one sink instead of two
(at the time POR had double beds so they both had double beds)
HOWEVER, I could hear people talking in the next room over and toliets flushing in the value. At POR I could here people walking outside but never heard the people next to us (maybe there weren't any)
Didn't have any trouble with the buses at either resort:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

There is another minor advantage. The soft drink station in the moderates (and deluxe of course too) have a larger variety of soft drinks for the refillable mugs. You don't get root beer in the values.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

My first few trips were always at a value resort but when the funds became available we decided to move up to a mod. I've only stayed at CBR so I can't comment on the others. For us, it was worth the extra money. The covered bus stops are great and I never found them too crowded. The pool was certainly more entertaining with the water slides. And CBR had a great kids area. Having a hot tub is nice especially in the evenings when it may be a little cool and you don't want to get in the pool. The room is not that much bigger but what is bigger is the sink area of the bathroom. CBR had two sinks and lots of counter/storage space for "stuff". The closet seemed bigger as well (although I'm not sure if it was actually bigger or just looked it). The grounds are themed a little better and if you spend a lot of time at your resort you will come to appreciate that. CBR did have a TS restaurant that was only open for dinner.... we never ate there so I can't say it was a benefit for us.

For us a mod. resort was totally worth the price!

Upvote 0

pixargal

The moderates also have a refrigerator in the room. I think that at the value resorts if you want one then you need to rent it. We save time and money by using the refrigerator for breakfast items and snacks.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom