Trip Report We Kept Genie in the Lamp *COMPLETED*

50 years later, what goes around comes around.

Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 with an admission charge and an attraction ticket system. Admission got you into the park (and onto the free If You Had Wings, sponsored by Eastern Airlines) but every ride required a separate ticket (A,B,C,D,E) which varied in price based on the attraction’s “value.” E-tickets were the most expensive (this is where the expression “it’s an E-ticket ride!” originated) and cost 90 cents apiece. Ticket books bundled A-E together for a reduced cost, but there were never enough E’s (and always leftover A’s and B’s.) Not to worry though ~ each land had its own ticket booth (think tiny kiosk) where individual attraction tickets could be purchased (assuming your parents said yes. 😉)

This was the system for over a decade. The introduction of all-day Passports (and eventual Park Hoppers) was a welcome relief for guests ~ ride what you want as many times as you want for no additional cost. Yes, you had to wait in line. Lines that often were very long. But it was a SIMPLE system.

When Fastpass was introduced at the turn of the century, it required some strategic planning and lots of extra walking to obtain the paper FPs in order to “skip” a line. Fastpass+ exacerbated strategic planning to a whole ‘nother level. But it was a FREE system.

Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane have thrown SIMPLE and FREE out the window. And now in 2021, we’re back to admission and paying for attractions.

But not us.

At least not this trip.

This vacation was a respite for me as I grieve the recent loss of my father. It was a time for memories and nostalgia. A time for keeping things simple.

I’m ready to share if you’re ready to read.

Who: Tuvalu and Woody
When: October 22-29, 2021
Where: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

E56222A6-3666-4F9B-91B8-9CA5F00EB7BD.jpeg

If you’d like to read about my very first trip to Walt Disney World:

SSH

Enjoying your latest report! Visiting the fort to see halloween decorations is an annual tradition for us- I enjoy it much more than Dec holiday decorations because the latter can be found more easily right here at home...everywhere from my own neighborhood to local parks. But the creativity and fun these FW guests show during halloween is a joy to see. This year, we missed most of it, because Trail's End was closed the days we were there and non-FW guests can't rent a golf cart, so really no way to cover all that ground, other than to keep taking the interior bus every few blocks - not! So we just walked to the first first few blocks near the exterior bus stop. Still fun, though.

fractal

Just got back from a family vacation and scrambling to catch up!

Nothing like a @Tuvalu trip report from the Poly. I was very excited and happy to see the new updates and water features and I personally like the new room décor. The positive thing about the flooring vs carpeting is how much cleaner and "less germy" flooring can be.

Now - the interaction with the manager and the furniture "fix" is totally unacceptable! Seriously? painters tape? The only explanation I could thing of was that they glued it and then taped in place for it to dry, but something like that should be replaced.

Looking forward to more...

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Following along!!

Not going to see Muppets was one of my very FEW regrets from last trip.
We have not been in, MANY, MANY years, and I had it on my list as a 'to do'.

My son and I got in line and got as far as the key under the mat (which I showed him for the first time, he can remember)
but then my wife called me with some issue that I can't recall now and we got out of line and never returned.

The look on my grown son's face when he saw the key REALLY was under the mat was a good memory though.
Hey there, Enzo! Sorry you missed Muppets on your last trip but thanks for sharing your story. :happy:

Catching up! I feel like we had a few of the same frustrations with our trips :facepalm: Hope yours ended up overall great! I also find Genie+ incredibly confusing and didn't attempt it. What did we get college degrees for anyway?!
I think Disney doesn’t want anyone to understand it! And that feels a little shady to me….like an unethical used car salesman.

My condolences on the loss of your father. Your Disney memories with him must be so special 🥰

I have been away from the boards for a little while but am back and am enjoying your report as always. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you, Emily. Glad to have you back on the boards again.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
@Tuvalu -- a question about Trail's End. I haven't been there in years, but noticed the outdoor picnic table style seating (with umbrella tops). Does Trail's End no longer use indoor seating, or is the seating outside in addition to indoor seating?

P.S.: LOVE the Halloween decorations at Fort Wilderness!
Yes there is indoor seating at Trail’s End. I think the picnic tables were added in July 2020 (when the parks reopened) as the only food option for campers was P&J’s take-out (the “to-go” option from Trail’s End.) Trail’s End did not reopen until this past summer.

Well, that service at Trail's End was definitely not magical but the food looked pretty good. Sorry you missed the fireworks but getting the chance to see the RV decorations was a great substitute!!! We did the carriage ride at the Christmas holiday season one time and loved how all the campers decorated their sites!!! It is magical taking that boat ride to the resort day or night. 🥰
We’ve also done the Christmas carriage ride at the Fort and it was a real treat. It is amazing how the guests go all out for the holidays….including Halloween!

I completely agree about resort boat rides. :inlove:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Enjoying your latest report! Visiting the fort to see halloween decorations is an annual tradition for us- I enjoy it much more than Dec holiday decorations because the latter can be found more easily right here at home...everywhere from my own neighborhood to local parks. But the creativity and fun these FW guests show during halloween is a joy to see. This year, we missed most of it, because Trail's End was closed the days we were there and non-FW guests can't rent a golf cart, so really no way to cover all that ground, other than to keep taking the interior bus every few blocks - not! So we just walked to the first first few blocks near the exterior bus stop. Still fun, though.
I get what you’re saying about the proliferation of Christmas displays vs. Halloween. I also did not know Trail’s End is closed some days.

Just got back from a family vacation and scrambling to catch up!

Nothing like a @Tuvalu trip report from the Poly. I was very excited and happy to see the new updates and water features and I personally like the new room décor. The positive thing about the flooring vs carpeting is how much cleaner and "less germy" flooring can be.

Now - the interaction with the manager and the furniture "fix" is totally unacceptable! Seriously? painters tape? The only explanation I could thing of was that they glued it and then taped in place for it to dry, but something like that should be replaced.

Looking forward to more...
Appreciate your scrambling to catch up! :bookworm:

Woody and I both thought the blue tape was to hold the piece until the glue dried. But we were in that room for six more days and the blue tape was intact when we checked out….
Kobe Bryant GIF

Gurt

Once again I am so sorry for the passing of your father, I went to Disney many times in the 90's with my family but when we look back at pictures it was mostly my dad taking them not in them, the first time I went back without him was 2013 it was emotional for my and my mum but it was nice to remember the good memories and share them with Chris my other half, he often says whilst he never met my dad as he passed before we met he feels like he knows him from all the stories people tell him.

I hope you and Woody had a lovely trip full of memories and nostalgia.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, October 24

Last night was a late one for Woody as he watched the Atlanta Braves clinch the National League division title for the first time in 22 years. (He would also watch every World Series game with the Braves emerging victorious!) I stayed awake for as long as I could. We’d planned to get to MK this morning in time for early entry.

Here comes our ride.

D2D7BA19-46E4-40FD-A2C0-F6552F071C57.jpeg

As our monorail entered the Grand Floridian station I saw three princesses waiting to board. Only one of them
was cute.

2ACC51DF-F17B-4FC7-A9F0-A37B46EE4FC5.jpeg

Also cute was the anniversary topiary out front….although the plants seem to be swallowing Mickey and Minnie!

CDE81AB6-4637-4E4E-80CC-3D303F6DC32B.jpeg

D6C71CFD-F652-4472-B2B8-C09EA63833B6.jpeg

Always a fan of the festive fall decor!

B248708D-05F1-4052-B159-F00734F64CB7.jpeg

40F676A0-F79E-4554-9E5C-FCC66AB9502C.jpeg

I made Woody pose by the clock, which had been MIA as it underwent transformation for the 50th.

9AF3E334-39E1-4C7C-A064-26DAC4C60CBF.jpeg

As you can tell by the time we were a few minutes late to take advantage of the full half hour (whoop whoop) of early entry for resort guests.

Did we find it beneficial?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
All guests ~ resort and non-resort ~ are allowed into MK during early entry. Main Street shops and Starbucks are open for your shopping and caffeine needs. Photographic opportunities abound in the castle hub.

But only Disney resort guests can venture to the two lands open early, Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.

512DB00D-0BC3-4870-8D64-9792763C7DCD.jpeg

8DBBFB31-EE59-4927-B938-8F5E06BE11AF.jpeg

Cast members with tablets stand next to the ropes off areas and scan MagicBands, key cards or mobile devices to confirm guest eligibility. Only one member of each party needs to be scanned, which helps keep things moving.

BA8D1516-6089-4F23-AD65-63306B9F8426.jpeg

Patience, you offsite guests. It’s not time for you yet.

amjt660

Premium Member
All guests ~ resort and non-resort ~ are allowed into MK during early entry. Main Street shops and Starbucks are open for your shopping and caffeine needs. Photographic opportunities abound in the castle hub.

But only Disney resort guests can venture to the two lands open early, Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.

You did not give us your hotel dollars but you are welcome to come in early to give us your breakfast/ coffee/ souvenirs dollars!!

Max

Laurenciaa

Sunday, October 24

Last night was a late one for Woody as he watched the Atlanta Braves clinch the National League division title for the first time in 22 years. (He would also watch every World Series game with the Braves emerging victorious!) I stayed awake for as long as I could. We’d planned to get to MK this morning in time for early entry.

Here comes our ride.

View attachment 601379

As our monorail entered the Grand Floridian station I saw three princesses waiting to board. Only one of them
was cute.

View attachment 601380

Also cute was the anniversary topiary out front….although the plants seem to be swallowing Mickey and Minnie!

View attachment 601382

View attachment 601383

Always a fan of the festive fall decor!

View attachment 601384

View attachment 601385

I made Woody pose by the clock, which had been MIA as it underwent transformation for the 50th.

View attachment 601386

As you can tell by the time we were a few minutes late to take advantage of the full half hour (whoop whoop) of early entry for resort guests.

Did we find it beneficial?
Maybe I am running behind on some rules and guidelines but are adults allowed to wear Princess Dresses to the parks? I always though this was not allowed... :cautious:

BuckyMom

Have to chime in. Only explanation I'd take on the trio of princesses.. if the little one was a 'wish' kid and she wanted this as part of her experience. Then she gets whatever she likes. If adults are just living out their dream.... ah no. But, were they wearing tennis shoes that had little lights that went off with every step??

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Once again I am so sorry for the passing of your father, I went to Disney many times in the 90's with my family but when we look back at pictures it was mostly my dad taking them not in them, the first time I went back without him was 2013 it was emotional for my and my mum but it was nice to remember the good memories and share them with Chris my other half, he often says whilst he never met my dad as he passed before we met he feels like he knows him from all the stories people tell him.

I hope you and Woody had a lovely trip full of memories and nostalgia.
Thank you, @Gurt. There were lots of good memories this trip.

My eyes went directly to that brisket! It looks so good.
Sorry the service wasn't as good as the brisket.
Me too, especially since the brisket was spectacular.

Thank you for sharing your trip! It's helping me plan mine.
Hope I give you useful info!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom