Trip Report We Kept Genie in the Lamp *COMPLETED*

50 years later, what goes around comes around.

Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 with an admission charge and an attraction ticket system. Admission got you into the park (and onto the free If You Had Wings, sponsored by Eastern Airlines) but every ride required a separate ticket (A,B,C,D,E) which varied in price based on the attraction’s “value.” E-tickets were the most expensive (this is where the expression “it’s an E-ticket ride!” originated) and cost 90 cents apiece. Ticket books bundled A-E together for a reduced cost, but there were never enough E’s (and always leftover A’s and B’s.) Not to worry though ~ each land had its own ticket booth (think tiny kiosk) where individual attraction tickets could be purchased (assuming your parents said yes. 😉)

This was the system for over a decade. The introduction of all-day Passports (and eventual Park Hoppers) was a welcome relief for guests ~ ride what you want as many times as you want for no additional cost. Yes, you had to wait in line. Lines that often were very long. But it was a SIMPLE system.

When Fastpass was introduced at the turn of the century, it required some strategic planning and lots of extra walking to obtain the paper FPs in order to “skip” a line. Fastpass+ exacerbated strategic planning to a whole ‘nother level. But it was a FREE system.

Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane have thrown SIMPLE and FREE out the window. And now in 2021, we’re back to admission and paying for attractions.

But not us.

At least not this trip.

This vacation was a respite for me as I grieve the recent loss of my father. It was a time for memories and nostalgia. A time for keeping things simple.

I’m ready to share if you’re ready to read.

Who: Tuvalu and Woody
When: October 22-29, 2021
Where: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

E56222A6-3666-4F9B-91B8-9CA5F00EB7BD.jpeg

If you’d like to read about my very first trip to Walt Disney World:

Songbird76

Is it me or has some time past since our beloved @Tuvalu started a TR? :D think I am getting some Tuvalu TR blues:joyfull:
It does seem like it's been a while. I'm getting my fix from @riverside as fortunately, she's made several trips already. What do you say @Tuvalu ? Any TRs coming up soon? Some of us are living vicariously, and some of us have nothing better to do because we have covid and are in quarantine. We need some reading material. Well, yes, I AM reading an actual book, too, but it's no Tuvalu trip report.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
It does seem like it's been a while. I'm getting my fix from @riverside as fortunately, she's made several trips already. What do you say @Tuvalu ? Any TRs coming up soon? Some of us are living vicariously, and some of us have nothing better to do because we have covid and are in quarantine. We need some reading material. Well, yes, I AM reading an actual book, too, but it's no Tuvalu trip report.

I keep saying she should write a book - she has such a great writing style 😊

Sorry to hear you are in quarantine. I’m quarantined from my office because my employer is stricter than the government. My teen was positive a week ago and mostly asymptomatic; as far as the Swiss public health authorities were concerned, I’m fully vaccinated and have had my third dose, so I could go about my life as I wished (I’ve taken self tests every couple of days and these have been negative). My employer is another story: not allowed to go into the office for 15 days.

Songbird76

I keep saying she should write a book - she has such a great writing style 😊

Sorry to hear you are in quarantine. I’m quarantined from my office because my employer is stricter than the government. My teen was positive a week ago and mostly asymptomatic; as far as the Swiss public health authorities were concerned, I’m fully vaccinated and have had my third dose, so I could go about my life as I wished (I’ve taken self tests every couple of days and these have been negative). My employer is another story: not allowed to go into the office for 15 days.
Our government has the same rules....if you are boostered longer than 7 days ago, and have no symptoms, you are free to go about your business. My daughter got a positive self test, I had no symptoms, so I went to work the next night....woke up in the morning with a sore throat. We both tested positive...of course my daughter and I spend a LOT of time together....we're kind of like Lorelai and Rory Gilmore. We're "freakishly linked". We had spent 2 days watching movies together before she found out she had it, so I had already caught it. My husband had no symptoms, so he went to the movies Sunday...woke up yesterday with a sore throat, so he got tested....positive for Covid. So 3 of us have it. My son rarely comes out of his room except for school, chess, tennis, and food, so he'll probably be ok.

Do you at least get paid leave while you aren't allowed to work?

And I think a Tuvalu book is an AWESOME idea. I'd read it!!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Do you at least get paid leave while you aren't allowed to work?

I think you meant to ask if my office gave me hazard pay for forcing me to stay at home with a grumpy teen 🤣

I consider myself very lucky to work in an office and to do the type of work that I can work from home - even when my daughter was younger I very rarely had to take family emergency leave because I could, at the very least, connect to my email or work on documents that are saved for when there is “more time”.

And I have applied my ban “strictly” - I’m not allowed in the office but it does not say I am banned from the parking garage so last week I had someone bring me down documents while I waited in my car. 😉

I still have one more week of working from home (I can go back in next Wednesday) but at least my daughter has finished her quarantine so it’s just me and my lazy helpers 🤣

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom