Trip Report We Kept Genie in the Lamp *COMPLETED*

50 years later, what goes around comes around.

Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 with an admission charge and an attraction ticket system. Admission got you into the park (and onto the free If You Had Wings, sponsored by Eastern Airlines) but every ride required a separate ticket (A,B,C,D,E) which varied in price based on the attraction’s “value.” E-tickets were the most expensive (this is where the expression “it’s an E-ticket ride!” originated) and cost 90 cents apiece. Ticket books bundled A-E together for a reduced cost, but there were never enough E’s (and always leftover A’s and B’s.) Not to worry though ~ each land had its own ticket booth (think tiny kiosk) where individual attraction tickets could be purchased (assuming your parents said yes. 😉)

This was the system for over a decade. The introduction of all-day Passports (and eventual Park Hoppers) was a welcome relief for guests ~ ride what you want as many times as you want for no additional cost. Yes, you had to wait in line. Lines that often were very long. But it was a SIMPLE system.

When Fastpass was introduced at the turn of the century, it required some strategic planning and lots of extra walking to obtain the paper FPs in order to “skip” a line. Fastpass+ exacerbated strategic planning to a whole ‘nother level. But it was a FREE system.

Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane have thrown SIMPLE and FREE out the window. And now in 2021, we’re back to admission and paying for attractions.

But not us.

At least not this trip.

This vacation was a respite for me as I grieve the recent loss of my father. It was a time for memories and nostalgia. A time for keeping things simple.

I’m ready to share if you’re ready to read.

Who: Tuvalu and Woody
When: October 22-29, 2021
Where: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

E56222A6-3666-4F9B-91B8-9CA5F00EB7BD.jpeg

If you’d like to read about my very first trip to Walt Disney World:

joshsprincess921

ceiling fan ~ but we know those design choices are no longer popular. (And I suspected there would be no clock @MinnieM123 so I came prepared with my own!)

I have such a hard time sleeping without a ceiling fan, even in the winter. I bought a smaller fan (I'd say about the size of a milk jug) that I've started traveling with and it's made such a huge difference. I may have to always bring a large suitcase, but so worth it for a good night of sleep.

joshsprincess921

And we got to see the final Kylo in B-mode, a first for me! (Although A-mode is better.)

My husband mentioned that the final Kylo wasn't the same as soon as our ride ended and I didn't even realize it! It was only my 2nd time riding, but he sure remembered. So he was still in B mode on the 26th.

meggo819

My husband mentioned that the final Kylo wasn't the same as soon as our ride ended and I didn't even realize it! It was only my 2nd time riding, but he sure remembered. So he was still in B mode on the 26th.
We just rode for the first time, in Disneyland a few weeks ago! We were lucky enough to get boarding groups all 3 days we were there and Kylo was in B mode on the 2nd and 3rd time. When I mentioned it to my husband, he didn’t remember the A mode version from the first day 🤦‍♀️

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

In keeping with the theme of this vacation ~ simple and nostalgic ~ there was an obvious choice for lunch.

238960C3-AA02-42CF-B682-95EC125DECD9.jpeg

Doughy theme-park pizza is quick and easy. And for our family, oddly satisfying.

PizzeRizzo may be “recent” nostalgia, but this place makes me happy. I always have a smile on my face while dining here. Lots of fun memories too!

It was good to see a CM back on a register taking walk-up orders. No more mobile order door Nazis!

5D6E2E8D-1A30-4051-B8FB-432A619C6B26.jpeg

I like the disco ball room. I like the quaintness of the upstairs booths. But on nice weather days, I love dining al fresco!

Lunch view.
672EE428-4210-41C8-B69F-3B5F1721C250.jpeg

Woody and I each ordered the veggie pie. (I gave him my mushrooms.)

8B7B472A-E0E6-44C5-8EB5-BB06F46481FB.jpeg

Not one, but two bags of purse carrots! (Woody hates raw carrots.)

F45115DD-69AE-4EC7-8A4D-5DAF6396B3F6.jpeg

I had ordered our lunch during our downtime at RotR. I always find it funny that desserts are prominently featured at the top of a mobile order menu. Oh, I know why that’s done…..and today I fell for the ploy.

PizzeRizzo featured a chocolate Haunted Mansion treat. How could I not get it, @tonystark?!!

87F1F31B-B39D-4901-8174-3AF1FED42761.jpeg

E730D4F9-18DD-4D9A-8FF9-3E9176E91B77.jpeg

A dark chocolate (@Nunu) portrait from the gallery? C’mon!

4893E12D-22B0-4E4A-ACF8-000197DA6855.jpeg

Sadly, as Woody and I began to attack this decadence with our forks, the WL Roaring S’more came immediately to mind. Pretty to look at, IMPOSSIBLE to eat.

DB597979-8226-4CD5-84FE-5E886CEC72EA.jpeg

The cake part of the eclair was so firm it could not be cut into. And the buttercream (along with the mousse) made it much too messy as a finger dessert!

Most of it got deposited here.

788C2E8A-AD6A-4D17-91D1-DD49454D0A34.jpeg

mpaulam

In the Parks
No
I've been MIA for a while, but trying to get all caught up now! And my trip is 80 days out, so... :)
If you don't mind, I have a question about ROTR. I am claustrophobic and wondering if I would be okay with the line. I'm sure I would be okay with the actual "ride" portion. Do you recall any parts of the line feeling like you're in a small space? Thanks!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

We just rode for the first time, in Disneyland a few weeks ago! We were lucky enough to get boarding groups all 3 days we were there and Kylo was in B mode on the 2nd and 3rd time. When I mentioned it to my husband, he didn’t remember the A mode version from the first day 🤦‍♀️
Since there’s so much going on simultaneously in the attraction, it’s easy to miss details. When I read about Kylo in B-mode I had to look it up on YouTube.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
So very late to the party! Enjoying your report as always. I am so very sorry for the loss of your dad. I hope your trip brought sweet memories and a respite for your grief.
We had a wonderful time. Thanks, Laura.

I've been MIA for a while, but trying to get all caught up now! And my trip is 80 days out, so... :)
If you don't mind, I have a question about ROTR. I am claustrophobic and wondering if I would be okay with the line. I'm sure I would be okay with the actual "ride" portion. Do you recall any parts of the line feeling like you're in a small space? Thanks!
Nice to see you again, Paula. There are some tight turns and small areas in the caves, but I think you’ll be fine. Have a distraction (phone, another member of your party) handy in case the line gets stopped for a while.

Thank goodness -- register option back for those guests who prefer it. :)
Sister Act Reaction GIF

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
willem dafoe scientist GIF

After some deep thinking over this conundrum, I have come to the following conclusion... I THINK you went about this the wrong way... the correct strategy is to shove the entire thing in your mouth in one go
Cracking Up Lol GIF

I really like LTT's rolls, so this made me sad:

Now, this:

This, I like. Yum! :hungry:
I think the rolls had been left out too long. I’m chalking it up to a bad batch.
The dark chocolate candy was the best part of the eclair!

lindawdw

We haven't eaten at Pizzerizzo's in years as it isn't always open. I love the HM chocolate on top of the dessert but it kind of reminded me of the smores dessert that they serve at the Liberty Inn in the American Pavilion which is also difficult to eat.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

50 years later, what goes around comes around.

Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 with an admission charge and an attraction ticket system. Admission got you into the park (and onto the free If You Had Wings, sponsored by Eastern Airlines) but every ride required a separate ticket (A,B,C,D,E) which varied in price based on the attraction’s “value.” E-tickets were the most expensive (this is where the expression “it’s an E-ticket ride!” originated) and cost 90 cents apiece. Ticket books bundled A-E together for a reduced cost, but there were never enough E’s (and always leftover A’s and B’s.) Not to worry though ~ each land had its own ticket booth (think tiny kiosk) where individual attraction tickets could be purchased (assuming your parents said yes. 😉)

This was the system for over a decade. The introduction of all-day Passports (and eventual Park Hoppers) was a welcome relief for guests ~ ride what you want as many times as you want for no additional cost. Yes, you had to wait in line. Lines that often were very long. But it was a SIMPLE system.

When Fastpass was introduced at the turn of the century, it required some strategic planning and lots of extra walking to obtain the paper FPs in order to “skip” a line. Fastpass+ exacerbated strategic planning to a whole ‘nother level. But it was a FREE system.

Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane have thrown SIMPLE and FREE out the window. And now in 2021, we’re back to admission and paying for attractions.

But not us.

At least not this trip.

This vacation was a respite for me as I grieve the recent loss of my father. It was a time for memories and nostalgia. A time for keeping things simple.

I’m ready to share if you’re ready to read.

Who: Tuvalu and Woody
When: October 22-29, 2021
Where: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

View attachment 598044

If you’d like to read about my very first trip to Walt Disney World:
I am in. RIP Dad. I know what you are feeling. Know that Dad is with you at WDW.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We haven't eaten at Pizzerizzo's in years as it isn't always open. I love the HM chocolate on top of the dessert but it kind of reminded me of the smores dessert that they serve at the Liberty Inn in the American Pavilion which is also difficult to eat.
PizzeRizzo closes in late afternoon, so it’s really a lunch-only location.

The S’mores Brownie at Regal Eagle (former Liberty Inn) is a piece of cake(!) to eat in comparison to the HM eclair. 🤣

I am in. RIP Dad. I know what you are feeling. Know that Dad is with you at WDW.
Welcome, Steve. I am sorry for your loss too.

I love that you said 'purse carrots' - my kids make fun of me because I usually have a snack in my giant mom purse - most notoriously, the paper towel wrapped and aptly named 'purse apple'. 😂
Purse carrots have appeared in many of my TRs!
Glad I’m not the only one. 😆

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

Since I had spent my entire lunch overlooking the attraction a visit was a must.

55341F7A-2CB5-4F8A-B9D9-0B97DB7C74E6.jpeg

A Muppets Haunted Mansion overlay? Yes, please!

BB4D3A2E-52CD-4A09-93EA-45CB5EDC24C8.jpeg

We went straight inside but guests were being held a short distance from the preshow room. Since we were stopped I had the opportunity to test something I hadn’t in a while.

8CA372CA-7EAF-482A-80BB-452B3B0993B5.jpeg

TRUTH! The key is still under the mat.

BBFDE321-FB32-48D3-BE7F-9975FFF52EF0.jpeg

While we were waiting an older man in a wheelchair arrived at the entrance wearing a gaiter mask. The CM turned him away. He asked if there were any disposable masks and she told him no, “you need to bring your own.”

While I appreciate the CM upholding the mask rule, I admit to being surprised that there were no disposables available (even for a price.) But I was more surprised that this man had gotten so far into the park wearing a gaiter around his neck….why hadn’t someone told him that gaiters were not allowed? (Never mind the fact that he should have known the mask policy before arriving!)

A few minutes later we began to move as guests were allowed into the preshow. A different CM began to loudly instruct: “Cover ALL available carpet. Move ALL the way down.”

Yep, Covid protocols were gone!

The preshow preview was about to begin.

606D2E12-2964-4886-A0CB-08F7A13F0543.jpeg

Unlike the preshow that incorporated Muppets Most Wanted a few years ago, I really liked this Haunted Mansion version. But then I really liked Muppets Haunted Mansion, so I may be biased.

Pepe makes me laugh every time.

70773EEF-5E0C-4B22-AABB-DF8FF72FB4A0.jpeg

I’m glad Woody and I were able to see this temporary change. I believe the preshow is back to usual now.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The stars were out on Sunset Blvd.

1D0E38FD-9893-4106-A142-9E45965CA90E.jpeg

4FBD1E51-CD07-48C2-81F9-40D4F558FC7F.jpeg

Christmas stars.

‘Cuz that makes sense on October 23. 🙄

After shopping and spending more money than I care to admit, Woody and I found a bench(!) and people-watched.

A33E3730-F033-4016-99E7-267ECD66B03F.jpeg

We did not see anyone famous.

That is until we strolled down Hollywood Blvd.

B89652CE-BD95-4FAE-91D8-84F956F20000.jpeg

I acted like a typical fan and waved excitedly.

They waved back!

01FFFEB7-C005-4245-B0D7-7F0CB7DC2BB7.jpeg

193C0EE8-6AD2-451B-B278-FC6B35F7F155.jpeg

After our glimpse of the “world’s” biggest power couple, we headed out and found a bus waiting to whisk us back to our tropical paradise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom